• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Black & White

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, I didn't draw those. My creativity pales in comparison to the mastermind who created those most convincing starter concepts. So don't shoot the messenger, it's not ultimately my fault!

Possible CoroCoro leaks.

Hmmm...the Grass starter looks like Treeko 2.0, which isn't exactly a bad thing...but the others, eh... Probably the first time I don't like the fire starter. :<

Older main characters...I'm glad that they're a bit older. Pokemon doesn't have to become darker and edgier in anyway, but at least it's starting to grow with its fans.

ALSO:

Not actual art for this game, but relevant:

1271090406046.png

Apparently this is from a book that came out a while back (after D/P I believe) and she's supposedly an unused (at the time of printing) "protagonist" concept. Looks like Gamefreak is reusing this design for the main female, but changing some parts of her outfit since her sprite indicates of her having no sleeves. But at least we got an idea of what her face looks like.
Someone posted this at the Spriter's Resource. It makes sense, since they did revamp early concept of a female character from R/G for the remakes.

BTW, can anyone confirm if this book is real or not?

Let's compare and contrast....

*Clothes are similar, although in the CoroCoro scan she is wearing what appears to be a vest instead.
*The hats are pretty much the same, with the addition of a Pokeball in the newer one.
*Her hair is slightly different, and IMO, looks slightly worse in the newer one.
*She has a new bag.
*Eyes are blue instead of brown, which is a nice change of pace.

YAY OLDER PROTAGONISTS!

YAY STARTERS!

YAY ISSHU REGION!

Or, at least, Serebii is saying that it's called the Isshu region. Anyways, I choose either the fire or the grass starter. The water starter looks too much like a sad clown.

NOOOOOOO WHY SUCH AN UGLY LOOKING WATER STARTER!!!! But I like the grass starter. It's actually pretty cool looking. But if the water starter has epic evos then I'll probably get it.

Last edited:
NOOOOOOO WHY SUCH AN UGLY LOOKING WATER STARTER!!!! But I like the grass starter. It's actually pretty cool looking. But if the water starter has epic evos then I'll probably get it.

This. Exactly this. ): What's with the giant orange nose?
Actually, I think most of its ugliness comes from its :< face. Turn that frown, upside down, dammit! Look at the Fire guy? See how cute and happy he is?

Okay, now that I'm at school and have not just seen the picture and gone YESSSS,

I am very happy about older protagonists! And am still hoping that that means a possibility for DARKER AND EDGIER. And that's probably my favorite male character design yet. The female is pretty awesome too. (So is the guy going to be Black, and the girl White?)

Also, yes, otterthing is kind of ugly, but I do like its cute little clam.

edit: bigger scan on pokebeach :v

Last edited:
I like the grass starter, but it will all come down to which starter has the best evolutions.

After all, the third form is the Pokemon you're going to be carrying around with you 90% of the time.

Well, there goes my hopes for a fast water starter. :<

Not necessarily. Plenty of pokémon look stubby but are quite fast (miltank, purugly, poliwhirl... even cyndaquil doesn't look that quick IMO, and typhlosion was the fastest GSC starter). Furthermore, I don't really buy that an otter-like creature would be sluggish. I say the final stage's base speed will be at least 90, if not higher, though it probably won't be sceptile-fast. Chances look much better for a relatively fast pokémon than they did with a mud fish, a crocodile, a penguin or a bloody turtle. :B

Also, while it's possible the fire starter could be relatively fast, especially if it evolves into some sort of psychotic boar thing as someone suggested on another forum I go to, pigs generally don't look like they'll have blistering speed. (Grumpig isn't too slow, but.) I'd even venture a guess that they're going to buck the fire-type-is-never-the-slowest trend here and water will be faster than fire for once.

Anyway, see? I called it. Grass reptile, fire zodiac animal, water... thing. :/ Way to venture outside the box, Game Freak.

At least they look cool. I've never really disliked any of the starters save the chikorita line, and even then I can tolerate them, so I'll end up with all three at some point or another... but I can't really pick which I'd get for the first playthrough. Guess I'll just have to wait and see their evolutions.

I love both the grass and fire starters! (And I guessed types right <3) Water is meh, as usual, but I'm just like that.

I adore the female trainer, as well. :3 This gen is gonna be awesomesauce

Bah all the starters look silly :< Kratos send GameFreak your radishpig make them use it
Meh, they'll probably warm to me. Waterotterwithaclambelly is sort of cute.

The protagonists look cool also. The girl character has fantastic hair.

I like them all, really. The water one is cute, the fire one is all I AM HAPPY LOOK AT ME BEING HAPPY and the I like the colour scheme of the grass one. All bright and stuff. As for the characters - they appear to be older, yeah. It was mentioned on another forum that the male looks like an older version of Red - although I don't agree with this. The female has fascinating hair, and the male's clothes are nice - finally a male character whose outfit is not based around red and/or black!

I like the Grass starter, (It's obviously the best. :D) the fire pig is meh. It's ugly. And
I AM HAPPY LOOK AT ME BEING HAPPY
this.

...but the sea otter is kinda cool.

I'm still hoping that the Grass starter gets a Grass/Dragon evo, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom