• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Ground Zero Mosque

Pwnemon, answer me this: What if a whole bunch of fundamentalist Christians hijacked a plane and flew it into the Empire State Building? Would you be opposed to building a Christian church near where the Empire State Building used to stand?

MusicDragon said terrorists are the only muslims you see in the media.

No, he said Muslims are the only kind of terrorists you see in the media. No one ever talks about all those American terrorists over in the Middle East.

Oh wait, the US Military was on the news just now. My bad.

Honestly, your entire argument amounts to "The terrorists were Muslim, therefore building a mosque on Ground Zero." You can't just jump from a first premise to a conclusion. You need to show how the premises are proof of the conclusion.

And, since I think it needs to be said, who cares if some of the families of 9/11 victims throw a hissy? All it shows is that they haven't shown the care for their lost loved ones to even understand why they really died. The terrorists who destroyed the Twin Towers were Muslims, yes. But they were radical Qutbists, they were going against the principles that Islam stand for. That's like saying the Catholic Church can't build a church in a town where the WBC killed people.

But, the terrorists were muslim. Just because the mosque has nothing to do with the terrorists (questionable in its own right) doesn't mean the terrorists have nothing to do with the mosque.
Blah blah blah. No Muslim in the right mind considers the terrorists to have been Muslim (I don't). The terrorists can claim that their practice of extremism is Islam, but from an actual Muslim's point of view, what they did (and what they're doing now) does not follow any of the Islamic laws.

And don't try pulling quotes from the Qur'an and various Islamic laws when you probably won't understand the context. No religion says it's all right to murder the innocent. Forget religion, no one who's sane will tell you it's all right to murder the innocent.

(excuse my use of bold)

Last edited:
I think the real question we need to ask is: why are there idiot fanatics that take their holy writings seriously enough to kill thousands of people? By the same token, why do we need to give religious extremism a fiat because it's motivated by religion?

I think the real question we need to ask is: why are there idiot fanatics that take their holy writings seriously enough to kill thousands of people?

The thing is that, any Muslim who respects their teachings wouldn't harm a thing or perform a violent acts unless they're defending theirselves. Terrorism seems quite the opposite. Terrorism goes against Islamic teachings on war and violence.

I think the real question we need to ask is: why are there idiot fanatics that take their holy writings seriously enough to kill thousands of people?
Because they're retarded.

By the same token, why do we need to give religious extremism a fiat because it's motivated by religion?
I don't understand the expression "give a fiat" (isn't that a car or something?) but I'm pretty sure we don't.

Fiat is also Latin I believe. As a verb it is Latin for "let it be done" and as a noun it is something like a decree or a command.

By we I mean the community as a whole, not just us or TCoD or even an atheist society.

i don't give a flat to any religious extremism.

I think that Westboro Baptist Church is moronic and needs to shut up before I have to never show my face out of shame. I don't pass them just because we're both baptist and I don't think that anyone should pass the extremists off because they were extreme.

I think that Westboro Baptist Church is moronic and needs to shut up before I have to never show my face out of shame. I don't pass them just because we're both baptist and I don't think that anyone should pass the extremists off because they were extreme.

yeah, okay, but elsewhere you imply that all Muslims agree with the terrorists that initiated 9/11 while saying you don't agree with other Christian extremists. ???

No I don't ever imply that I imply that it's going to salt the wounds of those who lost families in 9/11 to have a mosque there no matter how much it denounces the actions of those people.

No I don't ever imply that I imply that it's going to salt the wounds of those who lost families in 9/11 to have a mosque there no matter how much it denounces the actions of those people.

and this is why I asked how you would feel if, say, members of the Westboro Baptist Church flew a plane into the Empire State Building and then NYC wanted to build a (not necessarily Baptist) church nearby.

Sheesh, can't think of how to word this:

Well, I wouldn't condone the actions of the people who crashed into the ESB, but I wouldn't want the church to be built. I would make it clear that most Christians don't believe the same way, but at the same time I would realize that it was rude to the people who lost family there and I would distance myself from that church as well because anyone who would want to build there is obviously insensitive or extremist.

Back
Top Bottom