• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Excadrill and Thundurus are now Uber

Not that I follow this with a comb and magnifying glass and such, but I'm not too terribly surprised by the Thundurus declaration, but Excadrill, I got to see why...

thundurus was more or less expectable. and excadrill becoming uber sounds like good news to me, because anything taken away from sand is an effective gain for everything else (hail!).

Eh, not too sure about Excadrill in Uber. The only reason Excadrill is of any use at all in OU is either due to Sandstorm or Trick Room, both of which appear about as often as Abras in Uber. Sun and rain are on basically every single team in Uber due to Groudon and Kyogre, and Uber games usually go too fast to set up Trick Rooms. And I think all the rain teams running around inOU are enough to check the number of sandstorm teams...

I dunno, I don't think Uber is a good place for Excadrill.

It's not whether the Pokemon will do well in Ubers, it's about whether the Pokemon is overcentralizing or is too broken for the OU metagame. Which I believe Excadrill is. Also, Tyranitar is fairly common in Ubers, as is Garchomp, so who knows?

It's not whether the Pokemon will do well in Ubers, it's about whether the Pokemon is overcentralizing or is too broken for the OU metagame. Which I believe Excadrill is. Also, Tyranitar is fairly common in Ubers, as is Garchomp, so who knows?

True. Excadrill is still useless without Sandstorm or Trick Room though, which I think are big enough weaknesses to leave it out of Uber.

Thundurrrus deserves the move though.

Yeah, just because something is Uber doesn't mean it's actually necessarily good in Uber play. Uber is a banlist, not a tier. Conversely, you will find Pokémon in OU used in Uber play, too.

uber is to OU as BL is to UU, more or less. it's not really a tier; it's possible to play in it, of course, but it's intended as a banlist first.

Yeah, just because something is Uber doesn't mean it's actually necessarily good in Uber play. Uber is a banlist, not a tier. Conversely, you will find Pokémon in OU used in Uber play, too.
And sometimes you will find UU pokémon used in uber, like shedinja :)

Excadrill as uber is a very good thing, from what I understand of gen V.

Excadrill as uber is a very good thing, from what I understand of gen V.

Yes. Excadrill overcentralizes the metagame.

To those who think it shouldn't: EVERY TEAM ALIVE needed to have, at the very least, an Exca check, if not a counter (or even two). That alone warrants its Uber status.

By the way, I thought that when Salamence was made Uber in Gen 4, Scizor should have taken its place, for the same reasons as Excadrill.

By the way, I thought that when Salamence was made Uber in Gen 4, Scizor should have taken its place, for the same reasons as Excadrill.

It's not just that. Scizor is fairly one-dimensional, while Salamence could be running DD, or mixed, or band, or specs, or a bulky set - who knows? Salamence's versatility was what made it so hard to counter and thus so scary - most teams would lose at least one Pokemon to find out the set, and perhaps another to take it down.

Excadrill isn't as versatile as Mence, but it's much scarier than Scizor because it's almost impossible to outspeed (even most scarfers fail to), has much better coverage, and with its various immunities it's very easy to set up with. Once Exca's got an SD under it's belt, be ready to say goodbye to half your team. Scizor can't do that. Bullet Punch is scary, but it can't singlehandedly sweep entire teams.

Excadrill has a decent number of Counters and Checks to be considered OU.

I'm happy as long as PO tiers don't consider it uber.

Excadrill has a decent number of Counters and Checks to be considered OU.

I'm happy as long as PO tiers don't consider it uber.

It pretty much forced every team to have at least one dedicated counter, maybe even two, and it was a huge part of sandstorm's popularity. I believe that it had few /checks/ but a fair amount of Pokemon that could revenge with priority. Again comparing it to Salamence: few Pokemon could reliably check it, due to its versatility, but many, such as scarfed Ice types, could revenge it. Just because it can be revenged doesn't mean that it is OU; if it can't be checked reliably enough, then you lose a Pokemon or have one crippled every time Exca comes in. imo it was plenty dangerous enough to have gone to Ubers.

It pretty much forced every team to have at least one dedicated counter, maybe even two, and it was a huge part of sandstorm's popularity. I believe that it had few /checks/ but a fair amount of Pokemon that could revenge with priority. Again comparing it to Salamence: few Pokemon could reliably check it, due to its versatility, but many, such as scarfed Ice types, could revenge it. Just because it can be revenged doesn't mean that it is OU; if it can't be checked reliably enough, then you lose a Pokemon or have one crippled every time Exca comes in. imo it was plenty dangerous enough to have gone to Ubers.

This is pretty much how all popular OU sweepers are though. Scizor, rotom, mienshao, etc. They're sweepers, they do what sweepers do and get revenged later. Most teams have counters to all of these mons because they're necessary.

Excadrill is much harder to stop than Mienshao or Scizor or Rotom, though. While it may not have priority like Scizor, it is so fast it pretty much doesn't need it. Banded or +2 Bullet Punch hurts a lot, but Steel is a pretty bad offensive type, while Excadrill has great coverage between its moves. With a SD under its belt it hits much harder than Mienshao or Rotom, and getting that SD is actually relatively easy, with its great defensive typing. To boot, for a sweeper, it has respectable HP and can probably take a few hits before going down. Stick a Balloon on it, and it loses a prominent weakness while gaining an immunity to the ever-present Earthquakes.

It's not unstoppable per se, but imo it was overwhelming the metagame. In fact, I think weather is overwhelming the metagame in general, so any ban on weather's most prominent abusers is a good thing in my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom