• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

bulbasaur
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• I like this forum and all but I could never bring myself to come on anymore. :(

I really love the ASB here but I always get DQ'd nowadays.
    We can start suspending Riolus in the air with psychic powers if you want to reassure yourself? I'm bored anyway.
    That's really neat! If my school offered a class like that I would definitely take it. But all we have is AP Music Theory, which is the most fun class ever but is unfortunately the only class offered about music that doesn't have to do with actually performing it. :/

It's a relative thing. .202 might not mean much on its own but if you were to compare it to one of the people the band teacher hates a whole bunch or loves a whole bunch you can figure out approximately what the relation is. But since there really is no upper or lower limit due to the massive amount of variables there's no way to convert it to a percentage - it's all relative.
    I would assume all-district and all-province are pretty similar so.

Yeah. Apparently this fruit is good enough for people to buy boxes though! Our top seller this year sold 65 boxes (which is huge when most people struggle to sell 10) and I sold like 22 so. It's good fruit. xP
    What's Music Composition and Technology like? :o

Most everyone gets below 1. I specifically wrote up the equation so that everything would fall in roughly the same number range, and since the many divisions meant that everything was trending towards numbers less than 1, I worked out most of the constants to be decimals so that it would all work. .202 isn't a bad score when my score was .9something (I'm a senior and the band teacher loves me to death, he loved the equation so much that he pinned it to the bulletin board outside the band room) and you don't even go to my school xD

20/40-pound boxes of oranges and grapefruits that get shipped from some place in Florida. Apparently they're really delicious, moreso than oranges/grapefruits you can find at the grocery store, but I'm not a fan of either so I wouldn't know. Typically I'm a pretty high seller because my parents have a ton of connections and my mom used to be a Girl Scout troop leader so she has a great deal of experience with fundraising.
    Yes, it's written working off the idea, "What if pokémon were really more like super-powered animals? How would they realistically interact with humans?" Which I think is pretty cool. Also makes you really uncomfortable even while you're chuckling, which I have to give props to the author for pulling off.

I haven't read all that much of the second one (i.e. one chapter), so it could turn out to be crap. And you mean you should expect all recommendations from me to be odd, or off-putting? I do like some normal things. :P
    Just the prologue; I might go back and give it a harder try later, since I would hope the prose improves, but I've been scouting out new stuff recently. Incidentally, Coriolanus Rowland's Guide to Pokémon Husbandry is hilarious in a horrifying sort of way if you're looking for something new to read, and The Thinking Man's Guide to Destroying the World, by the same author, looks promising.

I did; I'm just holding off on updating the exchange for a little bit.
    yeah haha. technically freshman band and symphonic band are two components of concert band but due to scheduling conflicts nowadays there's a lot of non-freshmen in freshie band. I'm in jazz band, wind ensemble and symphonic band and I'm tied with the drum major for most band classes in the school (he has jazz band, symphonic band and freshman band).

Also haha I screwed up writing the equation, it should be m/b + (p/y(...) instead of m/b (p/y(...). Yeah you shouldn't have a score of 0, I made sure to account for that but wrote it wrongly here x3

No marching band though???? D:
    g = grade level
    m = number of years participated in marching band
    b = grade level you were in when you started marching
    p = number of years participated in the concert band program
    y = number of years been at this high school
    c(9), c(10), c(11), c(12) = explained below
    k = 1.5 if you held a position of leadership in marching band; 1 otherwise
    t = 1.1 if you ever took ap music theory; 1 otherwise
    e = 1.1 if you were an eighth grade marcher; 1 otherwise
    d = number of years you've made all-district band while in high school. if the years is 0, d= 0.5.
    i = number of times you've forgotten your instrument
    h = number of times the teacher has taken your phone
    a = (total boxes of fundraising fruit you've sold over the years you've been in the band)/(years you've been in the band)
    u = number of parents involved in the band program * 0.1

The c(9), c(10), c(11) and c(12) are averages of given values. Basically you take the four band classes at this high school (jazz, wind, symphonic, freshman) and there's a value for each one of those classes and each grade level, which are as follows:
    j(9) (jazz ninth grade) = 2.5
    j(10) = 2.5
    j(11) = 2
    j(12) = 2

w(9) = 2.5
    w(10) = 2
    w(11) = 2
    w(12) = 2

f(9) = 0.5
    f(10) = 1
    f(11) = 1
    f(12) = 1

s(9) = 1
    s(10) = 1
    s(11) = 1.5
    s(12) = 1.5

Add up the values according to which classes you took in ninth grade and divide by the number of classes taken that year. That is your c(9) value. Do the same for the rest of the values.
    If you specialize in an instrument that can't be played in jazz band, add 0.25 to each c value after you've already determined it.

---

but of course this is only applicable to our band teacher for a number of reasons. The only reason ap music theory is a factor is because he teaches it; by taking the class you're showing that you have an intense interest in music that goes beyond simply participating in a band, which he respects.
    A modified version could work for you though :P
    I CHANGED THE EQUATION SOME TOO xP
    (g/100 (m/b + (p/y (c(9) + c(10) + c(11) + c(12))) * k * t * e * (d + 0.5)) - (i * 0.05) - (h * 0.05) + (a/100) + u

variables later i don't have time now
    well this equation is more specific to our exact band teacher more than anything else because of the way he judges people

i'll give you the deets tomorrow, i just got home after being away all day and i'm exhausted :P
    it's an equation and it spits out the number which, relative to other numbers that it spits out, will tell you about where you lie in comparison to others on the teacher's respect scale. because it's extremely easy to tell how much he likes certain students relative to one another. he's an open book on that regard.

the equation is g/100 (m/b + (p/y (c(9) + c(10) + c(11) + c(12)))) * k * t * e, with all the variables corresponding to such things as years been in band, grade, number of band classes taken, and whether or not you've taken ap music theory. if you want the exact details of the variables i can provide but.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom