• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

British Stereotypes

well they work harder than we do

you know, stealing our jobs and all that jazz.
"OMG THE POLES ARE TAKING OUR JOBS"
"but you never wanted to do those jobs in the first place"
"IT'S THE PRINCIPLE THAT COUNTS"

there's quite a stereotype about the Welsh being sheepshaggers.

There are few Australians that will not make a joke about New Zealanders and their relations with/to sheep.

to be fair, i don't understand much about your culture either. especially the education system. there's some weird business with grades and elementary school and stuff.

It's simple actually. Grades are what I assume you call 'years'. You go up a grade each year, starting with first grade and ending in twelfth. You spend one school year in each grade.

Elementary school is kindergarten (the year before first grade, for five year olds) through fifth grade. Then you go to middle school (also called Junior High) 6th grade to 8th, and then High School for the rest.

You guys have some sort of primary school stuff, I assume it's like our elementary?

It's simple actually. Grades are what I assume you call 'years'. You go up a grade each year, starting with first grade and ending in twelfth. You spend one school year in each grade.

Elementary school is kindergarten (the year before first grade, for five year olds) through fifth grade. Then you go to middle school (also called Junior High) 6th grade to 8th, and then High School for the rest.

You guys have some sort of primary school stuff, I assume it's like our elementary?

We go to primary school years 1-6 (age 5-11) then move up to secondary school for years 7-11 (age 11-16). Then we get the option of doing year 12 and 13 (Sixth Form) after that. So kinda similar, but without going to an extra school in between for just a couple of years =)

We go to primary school years 1-6 (age 5-11) then move up to secondary school for years 7-11 (age 11-16). Then we get the option of doing year 12 and 13 (Sixth Form) after that. So kinda similar, but without going to an extra school in between for just a couple of years =)
Bigger secondary schools sometimes have lower and upper schools, lower for year 7-9 and upper for 10+
Mine's like that and tbh I am SO GLAD I don't see infinite little CHILDREN running around my sodding school :(

:o It is. I love it.
(What's it mean D=)

Don't do that.

Also WHAT you don't call books jotters?? YOU FREAK, CIRRUS
YOU UTTER FREAK

And Scotland Is Different education system-wise but if I try to explain your head will apparently explode.

Don't do that.

YOU UTTER FREAK

And Scotland Is Different education system-wise but if I try to explain your head will apparently explode.

>O
I think most people call them exercise books, which is actually a really really lame term. DX

I'm just jealous of all Scottish people because you get SORT OF free university and it's NOT FAAAAIR *whine*

YOU UTTER FREAK.

Actually, when I was in primary school we had a book specifically called a jotter. It was just for making random notes and doodling in.

Like when you want to "jot something down".

Whereas if you live where I do you go to First School (Reception -> 4; age 4 -> 9), Middle School (5-> 8; age 9 -> 13), then Upper School (9 -> 11; age 13 -> 16); Upper school contains the optional Sixth Form as well though.

Because we like to confuse.

My school has a complete bullshit system that confuses the hell out of everyone we try to explain it to.
Usually you start in the crêche (ages 2-4), because whereas most parents can afford to stay at home and look after their child we're all bourgeois bastards and went to schools for tots. I could read and count to one hundred when I was five thanks to this 'v'
Then it's pretty straightforward: two years of pre-primary, five years of primary and seven years of secondary. Roughly.
And then the secondary's divided into three: first and second years, third and fourth years and fifth, sixth and seventh years. Each group gets their own préau, a sort of study room I guess.
And we don't have any exams till fifth year. Feels good man. (though when we do it's hard as hell mandatory physics and chemistry and and)

But I'm not British :o(

>O
I think most people call them exercise books, which is actually a really really lame term. DX

I'm just jealous of all Scottish people because you get SORT OF free university and it's NOT FAAAAIR *whine*

Free university tuition. And that's because we get a surprising amount of benefits from being in the UK 8) We steal all your shit.

My school has a complete bullshit system that confuses the hell out of everyone we try to explain it to.
Usually you start in the crêche (ages 2-4), because whereas most parents can afford to stay at home and look after their child we're all bourgeois bastards and went to schools for tots. I could read and count to one hundred when I was five thanks to this 'v'
Then it's pretty straightforward: two years of pre-primary, five years of primary and seven years of secondary. Roughly.
And then the secondary's divided into three: first and second years, third and fourth years and fifth, sixth and seventh years. Each group gets their own préau, a sort of study room I guess.
And we don't have any exams till fifth year. Feels good man. (though when we do it's hard as hell mandatory physics and chemistry and and)

But I'm not British :o(

what you couldn't read before you were five

really

wow.

Back
Top Bottom