• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Challenge Board

Open battle.

Format: 1v1
Style: ...Set, I guess?
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO moves, perish song, endeavour, pain split, super fang
Arena Description: West of House
This is an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.
A rubber mat saying 'Welcome to Zork!' lies by the door.
Additional Rules: Standard battle. Pokémon choice will be private-messaged to the referee rather than posed in-thread.
I'll accept this, wynaut

Open battle.

Format: 1v1
Style: ...Set, I guess?
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO moves, perish song, endeavour, pain split, super fang
Arena Description: West of House
This is an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.
A rubber mat saying 'Welcome to Zork!' lies by the door.
Additional Rules: Standard battle. Pokémon choice will be private-messaged to the referee rather than posed in-thread.

I'll accept this, wynaut

And I'll ref this. Thread in a jiffy.

Format: 3v3 singles
Style: Set
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct healers, Pain Split, Perish Song, Endeavor
Arena Description: A Mountainside

This is a simple fight near the base of a mountain. Trees grow in thick layers up its craggy side. There is a lake nearby, filled with chilly water fresh from the stream that flows from the mountain's ice cap. The view is very inspiring from here, and at the end of every round each Pokemon on the field has a 10% chance to be motivated to be more awesome, raising a random stat by 1.

Additional Rules: The trainers will PM their first Pokemon to the ref, who will post the selections in the thread.

Ah, yes, perhaps I can motivate some of my poor unused Pokémon to be more awesome. I will battle you!

Open challenge for anyone with a free slot.
Format: 2v2 Single (Sky Battle)
Style: Switch
DQ: One week
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs; Sandstorm
Arena Description: Sky Battle

"Care for a Sky Battle with a Sky Trainer?"

A battle in the air, over a deep canyon. Though both battlers are forbidden from landing at any time, there is a river running through the bottom of the canyon, so moves requiring a source of water may be used.

Additional Rules: Only pokémon that are able to fly or hover, inherently or consensually, may participate, and moves that involve the ground will fail. All energy penalties that consensually hovering/flying pokémon might otherwise accrue are voided. More info on Sky Battles.

Open challenge for anyone with a free slot.
Format: 2v2 Single (Sky Battle)
Style: Switch
DQ: One week
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs; Sandstorm
Arena Description: Sky Battle

"Care for a Sky Battle with a Sky Trainer?"

A battle in the air, over a deep canyon. Though both battlers are forbidden from landing at any time, there is a river running through the bottom of the canyon, so moves requiring a source of water may be used.

Additional Rules: Only pokémon that are able to fly or hover, inherently or consensually, may participate, and moves that involve the ground will fail. All energy penalties that consensually hovering/flying pokémon might otherwise accrue are voided. More info on Sky Battles.
Dropping my challenge to take you on!

i am Determined to have a match with this okay

Format: 3v3 singles-ish. See arena description.
Style: set
DQ: two weeks
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned/Restricted Moves: Super Fang, direct healing, Attract, Teleport. Moves will never inflict confusion.
Arena Description: The Echoing Isles

Three islands, all alike in dignity, in the Fairest Sea we lay our scene. The islands are all identical circles of rocky beaches and dune grass, about 20 meters in diameter, and too far apart for Pokémon to travel quickly between them. The sea is almost eerily calm and open, yet it echoes, allowing battlers on different isles to hear each other clearly.

This leads to some interesting possibilities, to say the least. All 3 of both trainers' Pokémon will be on the field at once, each battling simultaneously on separate islands. Each island is self-contained as far as most moves and abilities are concerned (ie. each should be considered a separate single battle), but they share weather conditions, and moves classed as Sneaky can be targeted on Pokémon on other islands.

If a Pokémon knocks out its opponent, it will be recalled and sent back out if one of its teammates is knocked out. If both of its teammates are knocked out on the same round, its trainer picks which opponent to fight first.

Trainers will PM their Pokémon to the ref, who will be match them against each other in the order listed.

Last edited:

Banned/Restricted Moves: Super Fang, direct healing, Attract, Teleport. Moves will never inflict confusion.

Three islands, all alike in dignity, in the Fairest Sea we lay our scene. The islands are all identical circles of rocky beaches and dune grass, about 20 meters in diameter, and too far apart for Pokémon to travel quickly between them. The sea is almost eerily calm and open, yet it echoes, allowing battlers on different isles to hear each other clearly.

This leads to some interesting possibilities, to say the least. All 3 of both trainers' Pokémon will be on the field at once, each battling simultaneously on separate islands. Each island is self-contained as far as most moves and abilities are concerned (ie. each should be considered a separate single battle), but they share weather conditions, and moves classed as Sneaky can be targeted on Pokémon on other islands.

If a Pokémon knocks out its opponent, it will be recalled and sent back out if one of its teammates is knocked out. If both of its teammates are knocked out on the same round, its trainer picks which opponent to fight first.

Trainers will PM their Pokémon to the ref, who will be match them against each other in the order listed.

I have one more battle slot, and I think this will be a good battle with which to fill it.

Last edited:

I have one more battle slot, and I think this will be a good battle with which to fill it.
I said I would ref this kind of battle, and that's what I will do!

This is a challenge that I am offering to ref for Keldeo and Eifie. I'm not sure why I'm bothering to post it here except for the ritualized acceptance posts. So for the record, you two, as soon as you've accepted here I'm going to assume that means your active squads are properly in order ;)

Format: 3v3 single, Battle Arena-style
DQ: A week or something, whatever
Damage Cap: 40% unless Keldeo and Eifie would prefer something else
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs and whatever else Keldeo and Eifie would like

Outside the Crystal Battle Tower
How— how dare these battle facilities host wonderful, mastery-filled battles without anybody telling the proprietors of the original battle facility, the one, the only Battle Tower (Generation II)?!? (Yeah, we’ve gotta work on improving the name.) Offended by this clear oversight, the owners of the Battle Tower have hastily put together a slapdash battle format to attract Trainers to their historically significant site. But since they mostly got the rules through hearsay from Unova, which held a kind of warped version of the original, this may not be the most authentic mastery-themed battle…

As is typical of this style of battle, it features three bouts of three rounds each, with the winner of each bout determined by the sum of the Pokemon's remaining health and energy. For example, a Pokemon that ended a round with 50 health and 50 energy, for a sum of 100, would win against one with 70 health and 20 energy, which sum to 90. The winner of the entire battle is based on the total of each trainer's sums, with a draw if there's a complete tie.

The battle will be held on the cobblestone path leading from the beaches of Route 40 up to the entrance to the Battle Tower itself. Now, the proprietors are well aware of the destructive reputation of Asberian Trainers, so we’re not actually allowed inside — but we can have a great battle out here in the open, right? There are plenty of trees flanking the battlefield, a huge sandy beach, and the ocean will provide all your water-resource needs. It’s perfect!

What’s not perfect, though, are the masteries. The Battle Tower owners seem to have gotten the names of the masteries — which they’re calling Crysteries, get it, since the tower is made out of crystal — through a telephone-game kind of grapevine, so they really only barely resemble those officially used by Korrina. If a Pokemon fulfills a Crystery more than its opponent does, 10 points are added to its health + energy score, with +5 to both scores if they tie.

The Crysteries are as follows:

For bout one:
Moving Faster: Awarded to the Pokemon that used the hastiest moves. This is calculated by adding the Pokemon’s number of modified Speed stages to the sum of the priorities of the moves it used. (So, for instance, a Pokemon that used Agility [+2 Speed], Protect [+4 priority] and Quick Attack [+1 priority] would have a score of +7.)
Going Mental: Awarded to the Pokemon that hurt itself in its confusion for the most total damage.
Skill at Striking: Awarded to the Pokemon that successfully landed the most hits on the opponent. (Multi-hit moves count for as many hits as they land.)

For bout two:
Efficacy Dispeller: Awarded to the Pokemon that avoided or blocked the most super-effective attacks.
Setpiece Special: Awarded to the Pokemon that most often used a Fastball Special with pieces of the arena, its foe, or anything else it can find.
Plagiarism Honor: Awarded to the Pokemon that most often used a move its foe had already used.

For bout three:
Advocate: Awarded to the Pokemon that most often healed its foe of a status condition.
Owner’s Frenemy: Awarded to the Pokemon that most often disobeyed its owner’s commands. (Any instance of not using a commanded order counts toward this Crystery — for instance, being fully paralyzed or fully confused; being asleep when the owner didn’t command any conditionals for sleep; being Taunted when the owner didn’t command any damaging conditional options; etc.)
Delicious Hors d’Oeuvres: Awarded to the Pokemon that ate the most things.

This is a challenge that I am offering to ref for Keldeo and Eifie. I'm not sure why I'm bothering to post it here except for the ritualized acceptance posts. So for the record, you two, as soon as you've accepted here I'm going to assume that means your active squads are properly in order ;)

Format: 3v3 single, Battle Arena-style
DQ: A week or something, whatever
Damage Cap: 40% unless Keldeo and Eifie would prefer something else
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs and whatever else Keldeo and Eifie would like

Outside the Crystal Battle Tower
How— how dare these battle facilities host wonderful, mastery-filled battles without anybody telling the proprietors of the original battle facility, the one, the only Battle Tower (Generation II)?!? (Yeah, we’ve gotta work on improving the name.) Offended by this clear oversight, the owners of the Battle Tower have hastily put together a slapdash battle format to attract Trainers to their historically significant site. But since they mostly got the rules through hearsay from Unova, which held a kind of warped version of the original, this may not be the most authentic mastery-themed battle…

As is typical of this style of battle, it features three bouts of three rounds each, with the winner of each bout determined by the sum of the Pokemon's remaining health and energy. For example, a Pokemon that ended a round with 50 health and 50 energy, for a sum of 100, would win against one with 70 health and 20 energy, which sum to 90. The winner of the entire battle is based on the total of each trainer's sums, with a draw if there's a complete tie.

The battle will be held on the cobblestone path leading from the beaches of Route 40 up to the entrance to the Battle Tower itself. Now, the proprietors are well aware of the destructive reputation of Asberian Trainers, so we’re not actually allowed inside — but we can have a great battle out here in the open, right? There are plenty of trees flanking the battlefield, a huge sandy beach, and the ocean will provide all your water-resource needs. It’s perfect!

What’s not perfect, though, are the masteries. The Battle Tower owners seem to have gotten the names of the masteries — which they’re calling Crysteries, get it, since the tower is made out of crystal — through a telephone-game kind of grapevine, so they really only barely resemble those officially used by Korrina. If a Pokemon fulfills a Crystery more than its opponent does, 10 points are added to its health + energy score, with +5 to both scores if they tie.

The Crysteries are as follows:

For bout one:
Moving Faster: Awarded to the Pokemon that used the hastiest moves. This is calculated by adding the Pokemon’s number of modified Speed stages to the sum of the priorities of the moves it used. (So, for instance, a Pokemon that used Agility [+2 Speed], Protect [+4 priority] and Quick Attack [+1 priority] would have a score of +7.)
Going Mental: Awarded to the Pokemon that hurt itself in its confusion for the most total damage.
Skill at Striking: Awarded to the Pokemon that successfully landed the most hits on the opponent. (Multi-hit moves count for as many hits as they land.)

For bout two:
Efficacy Dispeller: Awarded to the Pokemon that avoided or blocked the most super-effective attacks.
Setpiece Special: Awarded to the Pokemon that most often used a Fastball Special with pieces of the arena, its foe, or anything else it can find.
Plagiarism Honor: Awarded to the Pokemon that most often used a move its foe had already used.

For bout three:
Advocate: Awarded to the Pokemon that most often healed its foe of a status condition.
Owner’s Frenemy: Awarded to the Pokemon that most often disobeyed its owner’s commands. (Any instance of not using a commanded order counts toward this Crystery — for instance, being fully paralyzed or fully confused; being asleep when the owner didn’t command any conditionals for sleep; being Taunted when the owner didn’t command any damaging conditional options; etc.)
Delicious Hors d’Oeuvres: Awarded to the Pokemon that ate the most things.

Let's do this! (Note that Moominpapa Vodkazot Jr. has a signature attribute.)

Offended by this clear oversight

Haha, I get it! Because the tower is made of crystal!

I really wanted to have that battle with Totodile to make my Pokémon 10% more awesome, but I just can't resist this perfect challenge for my MF-themed squad. Beat me up more, Keldeo! Destroy these things MF named after himself!

(I guess this mean's Totodile's challenge is open again.)

edit: oh yeah, I guess Jo-Ni is in my squad. why did I do this. she has a signature attribute as well, which I'm sure you are both well aware of since you were the ones who approved it.

Format: 4v4 single
Style: set best of three followed by a regular battle. see additional rules
DQ: ten days
Banned/Restricted Moves: Super Fang, direct healing, Attract. Moves will never inflict confusion.
Arena Description: Cliffside Beach
A long beach with a tall, rocky cliff on one side, and the ocean on the other. There are rocks scattered around, but it's mostly sandy.
Additional Rules: Trainers will PM all 4 Pokémon choices to the ref, along with which one they will send out first. The ref reveals the first picks, as well as the bench picks, and the battle proceeds in 4 bouts of 1v1 battles. Bouts end when there's a knockout, and after all four bouts, the trainers have a standard single battle with their remaining Pokémon to determine the winner.

I CHALLENGE MY OWN FLESH AND BLOOD. AVERY!

Format: 3v3
Style: Single
DQ: One Week
Banned/Restricted Moves: Attract, Healing moves, OHKO. Chills limited to 5.
Arena Description: Beach City Beach
On the shores of a resort town lies a long, beautiful and sandy beach. The boardwalk stretches out before some local businesses and is completed with a small, wooden pier leading into the crystallike blue waters. In the distance sits a mysterious temple, shaped like a giant woman with many arms. (no gimmicks, battle area only includes the beach, the pier and the boardwalk).
Additional Rules: None

A simple match for our return to the world of ASB battling!

I CHALLENGE MY OWN FLESH AND BLOOD. AVERY!

Format: 3v3
Style: Single
DQ: One Week
Banned/Restricted Moves: Attract, Healing moves, OHKO. Chills limited to 5.
Arena Description: Beach City Beach
On the shores of a resort town lies a long, beautiful and sandy beach. The boardwalk stretches out before some local businesses and is completed with a small, wooden pier leading into the crystallike blue waters. In the distance sits a mysterious temple, shaped like a giant woman with many arms. (no gimmicks, battle area only includes the beach, the pier and the boardwalk).
Additional Rules: None

A simple match for our return to the world of ASB battling!

~*~*~time for death*~*~

Format: 3v3 singles
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct healers, Pain Split, Perish Song, Endeavor
Arena Description: A Mountainside

This is a simple fight near the base of a mountain. Trees grow in thick layers up its craggy side. There is a lake nearby, filled with chilly water fresh from the stream that flows from the mountain's ice cap. The view is very inspiring from here, and at the end of every round each Pokemon on the field has a 10% chance to be motivated to be more awesome, raising a random stat by 1.

Additional Rules: The trainers will PM their first Pokemon to the ref, who will post the selections in the thread.

I'll take you on!

Format: 4v4 single
Style: set best of three followed by a regular battle. see additional rules
DQ: ten days
Banned/Restricted Moves: Super Fang, direct healing, Attract. Moves will never inflict confusion.
Arena Description: Cliffside Beach
A long beach with a tall, rocky cliff on one side, and the ocean on the other. There are rocks scattered around, but it's mostly sandy.
Additional Rules: Trainers will PM all 4 Pokémon choices to the ref, along with which one they will send out first. The ref reveals the first picks, as well as the bench picks, and the battle proceeds in 4 bouts of 1v1 battles. Bouts end when there's a knockout, and after all four bouts, the trainers have a standard single battle with their remaining Pokémon to determine the winner.

okay

Remember when I regretted reffing so many battles at once? Yeah, neither do I. So I'm gonna pick up Superbird vs The Omskivar and then cry myself to sleep tonight.

I'll take you on if that's okay! I loved this game when I was younger.

I am totally zonked right now but I want to get in a god dang battle for once!!

Format: 2v2 single
Damage cap: 37%
Banned/restricted moves: Direct healing, Pain Split, Encore, exact-damage moves (Super Fang, Counter, et al.), Attract (Cute Charm/Destiny Knot is fine), Trick Room messes with Speed but not command order
Arena: Red Table

A giant, fully-functional replica of the Red Table from Pokémon Pinball. No particular arena effects, but it's all working for the purposes of flavour and creative arena use. All the Pokémon are real Pokémon, too, especially the giant grinning Ditto in the corner. Despite the slope, Pokémon like Voltorb can still control their movement, as evidenced by the bumper Voltorbs.

P.S. I would be happy to switch this out for the Blue/Ruby/Sapphire Table if the other battler and/or the ref has more nostalgia for one of those.

gonna ref this, since it seems a dang shame to let this arena just sit around on the board!

Time to TRAIN some people.

Format: 3v3 single
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOes, Direct Recovery moves, Substitute, Sleep-inducing moves
Jerome the Swablu said he has leftover pizza and can’t finish it. In fact, he has exactly enough pizza to share with one(1) Pokemon. Jerome lives really far away though, so you’ll have to take the train. Jerome’s train.

The train is composed of seven carriages, at the end of every round the unruly passengers (unruly because you keep attacking things near them and oh my god you nearly hit a baby you monster) will attempt to shove you off to another carriage. The two battlers’ health and energy will be averaged (as in total health + total energy then divided by 4) and a random number between 1 and 60 added to it. If Pokemon’s total is greather than the passenger’s specified totals then they get to stay in the carriage.

The seven carriages and their passengers are:

Blue: The economy carriage, right at the back with the bathroom right freaking there. Everyone one here is kind of timid and doesn’t really want to speak out because maybe they can just stomach it before they get there. Of course, there are some who stand out from the pack. 50% chance that the passengers will have a 45 removal total, but a 50% chance they’ll have an 85 removal total.

Purple: The aristocracy lounge here. Well, that’s what they think. The carriage is populated by a group of people who willfully suspend the belief (high above their heads, in fact) that they are indeed the uppermost of the upper class. This is not true, but their rented suits for a train journey will not deter them. Passengers here will not tolerate any indecency, but are normally tolerant of plebian games. They have a 60 removal total that goes up for any loud or unruly move that is used. Just as well, because while they’re tolerant, they’re very much fakely so. They hold themselves so highly that all Pokemon in the carriage gain the Flying type in addition to all other types.

Green: The train’s greenhouse. Jerome actually has it powered by PLANT POWER, and when he says plant power he means they’re just electrical wires in the shape of plants hooked up to the engine. That’s not to say Jerome didn’t go all out. The room is rife with dangerous fake plants and their plasticy, oily stench. There’s a 40% chance that a Venus Wire-trap will fix itself on a battler at random, preventing the use of all physical moves. The battler may spend an action attempting to tear off the Wire-Trap. There is also a 40% chance that instead of a Wire-Trap, a Sun-Flower will emerge and soak up all special moves for the round, and can be destroyed using an action. This arena effect is calculated as soon as the battlers exit the previous carriage, and is told to the trainers before they give their commands for the round taking place in the Green carriage. The power plants have a 60 removal total. However, on every re-entry into the room, both the individual chances for the plants to hinder a battler and the removal total will go down by 10.

Orange: All the children are kept here. Every round spent in this cabin deals 5% typeless damage to each Pokemon present. There is also a 15% chance on each action that the Pokemon will be unable to perform its move because THAT UNATTENDED BABY IS OPENING A WINDOW. Upon leaving the carriage, the trainers will be absolutely pooped, and the Pokemon will get random orders for their next action. Passengers here love Pokemon, a lot, any kind, and have a 90 removal total.

White: This room is blindingly white. Like really, really white. All battler’s suffer a -1 Accuracy penalty. All trainers also have a 30% chance on each action to point their command at the wrong Pokemon on the field(i.e their opponent’s). If given their opponent’s order, the Pokemon will be considered to have access to the ordered move for that action. The room is empty but the doors are painted white, so they have a 70 removal total.

Violet: This is the carriage of true aristocracy. So true that they aren’t actually here because what kind of respectful filthy-richer would ride on a train? Disgusting. All that’s in this room is a really big jet made of solid gold, one of the spares of a regular train rider (but don’t tell his friends). This room is very cramped and any moves that don’t require the user to be a meter from their target will fail. It’s kind of hard to get out of this room, so battlers will stay in it for two rounds.

Black: It’s the train driver’s birthday party! He’s an old coot so he has a lot of friends in his lifetime, most of them being passengers. The room is absolutely brimming with people, all of them wearing conductors’ hats. Pokemon start on top of one of each of the people’s hats and have to jump about between the gaps in the throng, lest they fall in and take 5% typeless damage and are shoved grumpily back to the top. At the end of the round the party ends and everyone returns to their cabins, so the Pokemon are forced out no matter what.

The Roof: WHY ARE WE UP HERE OH GOD. HOLD ON FOR DEAR LIFE BECAUSE A ROUND IS ONLY TWO ACTIONS OVER HERE. THE REMOVAL TOTAL IS 80, AND IF THE POKEMON FAIL THE REMOVAL ROLL THEN THEY TAKE 10% TYPELESS DAMAGE EACH. AAAAAAAH.

The battlers will begin the battle in a random carriage (except the roof).

Note: I will be using Prickles the Cacnea as my first Pokemon, and he just happens to have a recently approved Signature Attribute (No connection, of course.) So I'd like and hope and dream and wish that whoever accepts this battle doesn't choose a Pokemon who has a STAB type advantage on the ol' pumpkin cactus. The best would be one where we're both on even terms.

Back
Top Bottom