• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Daily Pokemon Discussions

Never. Ever. Used one. Ever.

I mean, great moveset and all of that, but really? A mafia-style chess piece that beats people with its pointy elbows? I know kids like that. For real, a lame effort for what could have possibly been an interesting concept. A pawn evolving to a bishop? There's so much more they could have done with that- a queen-ish evolution for the females and a king-ish evolution for the males that has the ability that makes it only move once every other turn...

I dunno. Seems like a foul effort to me.

Let's see... A Dark-type... Possibly inspired by chess figures... Blades all over the place, so it can stab its enemies... Has somewhat of a metallic carapace... It reminds me of Jack Noir!

Never. Ever. Used one. Ever.

I mean, great moveset and all of that, but really? A mafia-style chess piece that beats people with its pointy elbows? I know kids like that. For real, a lame effort for what could have possibly been an interesting concept. A pawn evolving to a bishop? There's so much more they could have done with that- a queen-ish evolution for the females and a king-ish evolution for the males that has the ability that makes it only move once every other turn...

I dunno. Seems like a foul effort to me.

Hey. Can we not forget for awhile that Pokémon are Japanese first? The English names are the only ones with ties to chess, meaning their designs actually have nothing to do with chess.

(Semi-relatedly, the German name Caesurio is the best.)

(Don't the japanese names have something to do with japanese chess?)

I really, really like the Pawniard line. Their designs and color schemes are cool, and their in-battle animations are pretty much my favourite in Gen V.

And of course I like chess too.

I prefer Pawniard to Bisharp, but I think both of them are pretty cool! I'm raising a Pawniard on my White2 team!

As for Sandshrew, I think it's one of my very favorite basic stage Pokémon. I just love its brick-esque pattern, dusty yellow coloration, and adorable blue eyes. I've used Sandshrew multiple times in-game. Actually I have a Sandslash, Aftershock, in HeartGold that was supposed to be a stand-in for Donphan, but I got too attached to replace her.

(Don't the japanese names have something to do with japanese chess?)
Koma (komatana) are pieces in Shogi, sure, but Bisharp's (kirikizan) name doesn't imply Shogi at all, so I'm inclined to believe the name is just a clever play on kogatana (in the sense that Pawniard are just expendable peons to the Bisharp; the French and German names suggest the same. Only the English names really suggest chess on both ends, at least with my interpretation).

The anime's warmed me to Pawniard a tiny bit! As it has with so many others (including the elemental monkeys, wtf). It's really quite adorable.

Sandshrew is obviously more adorable, though. Sandslash used to be one of my favourites as a kid! :3 Ugh and the Crystal sprite is so lovely. I must have used so many of these.

Today's Pokemon....

Politoed

Its a weird Pokemon to say the least and it looks grassy to me. I personally have a distaste in Politoed because he is overused repetively in compeditive battle. its like a swarm of them.

Poliwrath is better in my opinion.

Its a weird Pokemon to say the least and it looks grassy to me. I personally have a distaste in Politoed because he is overused repetively in compeditive battle. its like a swarm of them.
If it looks grassy because it's green, does Octillery look fiery? You could also play with banned weather starters or play in a lower tier.

Poliwrath is better in my opinion.
While I really like Poliwrath, I honestly do, I'm curious as what your reasoning is behind claiming "Poliwrath is better", given the only other thing that auto-starts rain is Kyogre (which is obviously banned in standard play).

(It's one thing to say "I like Poliwrath more as a Pokemon", but "better" is really vague.)

I love politoed so much they used to be my favorite pokemon(My favorite is now Trapinch...am I the only one who thinks they're adorable?), and I loved Misty's Politoed. I have one on HG that completely saved my E4 run when he beat Lance.

Real fearsome in Rescue Team. Perish Song is evil.

Otherwise... Big green frog with spirals on it that croaks really loud... I don't know. Did Hussie take inspiration from Pokémon?

Hmm. Politoed, OU rain starter. Only Drizzler besides Kyogre. Don't really have that much of an opinion on it.

And since it's almost been a day, today's Pokemon is... 440 Happiny.

440.png

Gen II and IV both introduced a whole bunch of baby Pokemon. I like how Happiny made the whole process of obtaining a Blissey so much easier because catching a Chansey in gen III was a royal pain in the arse.

...nothing special. By the time it existed, Chansey was pretty easy to find in the grass above Solaceon town: 10% or something.

Marshmallow girl who wants to be like her mom. Might be based on the concept of little girls wanting to be doctors.

...nothing special. By the time it existed, Chansey was pretty easy to find in the grass above Solaceon town: 10% or something.

But baby Pokémon exist to make completing the Pokédex more complicated.

Meditite is cool. It's the evolution that is horrible. A fighting clown? That's so weird looking. Sometimes I don't know whether I want to fight it or laugh at it.

Back
Top Bottom