• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Greatest Fears/Phobias

I just Wikipedia'ed trypophobia, to see what it is, and I was just frightened deeply by that lotus thingy. That thing is CREEPY!

Let's see.... I am afraid of:

Drowning (I used to like to swim, but when I was younger, I almost drowned, so I have been pretty scared of swimming. Well, I swim, but I won't go in anything deeper than 6ft deep water. And I'm very uptight in the 5ft deep water)

Flames in small and enclosed spaces (Like a lit lighter in a car)

Areas that are too crowded

Getting lost

Getting creeped on (like being followed, stalked, WATCHED)

Being completely alone in a large building

Last edited:
Getting creeped on (like being followed, stalked, WATCHED)

This? This is why I despise having my door open. My computer/desk is set so that I'm facing away from the door, and the thing that creeps me out the most is the thought that someone could be watching me without my knowledge.

I don't think I have any proper phobias, but high up on my dislike list are loud noises (cars backfiring, party poppers) and soggy things.

I'm down with crowds, spiders and needles and stuff (though I wouldn't welcome a crowd of spiders coming at me with needles).

when i was a kid i was deathly afraid of eating tainted meat and getting parasites. i watched a lot of animal planet...

I can't stand spiders, the dark/night and heights. I used to be afraid of roller coasters, but not as much now.
Oh, and sharp knifes that are in front of me. Sorry Mom, I don't want to help you cook if you're gonna ask me to cut food.

I think I've developed a fear of heights, if that makes any sense? I never remember being afraid of them as a little kid. However, a year or so ago, I went on a ride at an amusement park where it takes you up really high and then suddenly drops you. (Like this.) After that, I acquired a fear of heights. It's not debilitating or anything, in the sense that I go out of my way to avoid them, but it's definitely distracting and is why I don't go over the bridge in my town when I'm running anymore (despite it being a very convenient way to measure distance).

Besides that, I'm not afraid of much in particular. Middle-aged men make me feel awkward when I'm talking to them, I guess. (Actually, I feel much more comfortable talking to women in general.)

Ew ew ew ew ew at rollercoasters. Also yeah, loud noises are not good.

I... guess I have more fears, if we're including stuff that's just really uncomfortable? idk. it's not like I fear presentations in front of the class, for example, but WOW I do not want to do that tomorrow at all. :C

I remember having to do a big important horrible ~creative~ one years ago in school, and making several CC threads about it and hating everything and literally wishing I'd die first so I didn't have to do it. ?_?

What gets to me about lotus seed heads isn't the holes, it's the seeds in the holes. Just holes don't bother me at all, no matter how clustered, but I think the creepist picture I've ever seen was one of
an areola with holes that had... something in them? Maggots, maybe. It wasn't the things that were in the holes, which I don't even remember; it was that it was an areola with holes that had something in them. Eagh.

I don't have any real phobias; there are things that vaguely creep me out and probably things that creep me out way more than most people, but nothing that's in any way debilitating. Most of the things that creep me out more than most people involve food and/or eating. The only time I remember where I've had to actually walk out of a room because of something on TV was when some guys were daring a girl into eating a chunk of seal blubber for money. I still want to throw up when I remember it. Though I imagine most people would be disgusted by that, judging by the fact everyone else at the party I was at could stay in the room and watch it just fine, I'm a bit more sensitive to it than average.

Last edited:
Oh yeah! Butterfree's comment made me rember someting else--Maggots. I just can't STAND maggots. Just the thought of them makes my stomach hurt. In sixth grade, we were talking about Ancient Egypt, which includes the mummification process. So as an experiment, we actually mummified a chicken over the course of a couple of months, and then we buried it in the soccer feild. Than, like six months later, we dug it up, and there were a TON of maggots in that chicken, it was DISGUSTING!!! Ugh.

I've never been quite sure where I stand with roller coasters. I'm generally afraid of going on them, but only because I'm afraid that I'll be afraid. And even then it's not the going really fast bit that terrifies me, it's the heights. And that only scares me when you're going up the first drop rather than any of the other high bits.

So what sort of media scares people here?
Scary films/games that just have monsters don't really bother me, but if they're full of suspense with things that creep up on people and jump out when you don't expect it, it often startles me to the point that I have to sleep with the light on. Sometimes if they're not supposed to be especially scary, it does it. Like creepers from Minecraft :P

Scary films/games that just have monsters don't really bother me, but if they're full of suspense with things that creep up on people and jump out when you don't expect it, it often startles me to the point that I have to sleep with the light on. Sometimes if they're not supposed to be especially scary, it does it. Like creepers from Minecraft :P

I used to be scared of this, too, but then my friend psychoanalyzed the shit out of me and now I'm only scared of when the monsters pop up, not the anticipation of it.

Pretty much anything that's intended to be the least bit scary. Probably the best example of this is how I still get startled playing Luigi's Mansion, like oh my goodness that of all things. Also certain video game music makes me uneasy and easily startled. I also can't watch those faux ghost documentaries on tv, either. I get super freaked out and stuff even though I know they're fake. Also scary books are pretty bad, too. So, yeah, I'm most definitely a pitiful wuss. But! I'm totally for intentionally or unintentionally bad horror movies, like Drag Me to Hell.

Trypophobia, discovered it on /b/. That shit just... ugh.
Arachnophobia, I freak out when there's spider's. I always go nuts trying to kill them.

That's it really, there is no other phobias or things I fear.

No really could we try not to mention that you like to kill bugs in here! :( It's not necessary to mention it!

Ugh, relatedly, casual killing of animals/harmless monsters etc. in video games is so squicky and I feel like it happens in most RPGs without being addressed at aaaaaaall.

It's fun how my dislike of heights or small spaces or whatever doesn't really apply to media much, but horror is just a terrifying thing regardless. Usually there's at least one thing that really scares me in pretty much anything I read/play/watch. :C fuck you FFVII, fuck you Zelda

funnel-web spiders (or sydney funnel-webs) are predatorial, don't have webs and actually live in burrows underground, so they're harder to find and to catch, because predatorial spiders will actually run away or toward you quite quickly (because they're built to), or up your arm and into your clothes.
holy shit I am never ever ever going anywhere near australia now.

I mean I'm not even really arachnophobic, I actually quite like the little spiders we have in England. but fuckoff huge spiders that RUN AT YOU AND CRAWL INTO YOUR CLOTHES is just too much for me.

Trypophobia, discovered it on /b/. That shit just... ugh.
vomming so hard. that picture that Butterfree posted about made me feel genuinely physically uncomfortable the first time I saw it.

I'm alright with jump scares, there's kind of an exhilarating feeling to them. anything involving physical mutilation completely turns me off though. if someone's arm breaks in a film I actually have to look away.

also car crashes. it's really dumb but I actually get uncomfortable watching any scene involving a car because I'm worried there'll be a crash. I even get slight nerves when riding in a real car. learning to drive was positively terrifying, and I'm not surprised I didn't pass the test. no clue why I'm so worried about it, I've never been involved in a crash and none of my friends/family have ever been in a serious accident...

Ugh, relatedly, casual killing of animals/harmless monsters etc. in video games is so squicky and I feel like it happens in most RPGs without being addressed at aaaaaaall.
but in most video games you kill animals because they attack you...

I don't like hospitals. Bloody charnel houses. They're like a museum where they just showcase everything that can go wrong with your body. The thing is that I'm fine once I get in the hospital as a visitor so I'm not sure if it's the hospital itself which I find scary or just the concept of going to visit, or even just the fact that it's a congregation of people who have ailments.

...I guess I don't like moths, either.

but in most video games you kill animals because they attack you...
My guess is Cirrus was talking about games where they don't attack you first.
Like I'm pretty sure I have an RPG on my gameboy (I think it's Lord of the Rings) where they get you attack a wolf or something for the tutorial battle because it isn't a threat.
And there are probably others where you attack wild animals, rather than they attack you, for the grinding xp.

Back
Top Bottom