• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Hated Characters

Professor Wesker

Fesh Pince of Blair
Since there's a thread about fictional characters you love, I decided to do one about the ones that tick you off. For me, Walter Prick- I mean Peck from Ghostbusters instantly comes to mind. This sleazy, loudmouthed jackass ended up putting the world in jeapordy due to his idiotic attempts to show the Ghostbusters as frauds when they clearly aren't.

Jasper Batt Jr. from No More Heroes 2 is another. High pitched voice, a wimp who used other hitmen to kill people for him, has a battle that's just plain irritating, shares initials with Justin Bieber, and is voiced by Sasuke's voice actor? Suda did a great job meshing horrible things together to create a seriously unbearable character.

Case 3: One Piece's Spandam. I honestly loathe this guy like you wouldn't believe. He acts all high and mighty due to having an important government position but is a total coward when in a bad situation, and I can NOT stand people like that. While Kuro, Krieg, Arlong, Crocodile, Eneru, Blackbeard, and Akainu are all VERY prickish, at least they have strength to back it up. But the very thing that really pissed me off about this guy is how he treated Nico Robin while she was his prisoner. When I watched him beat the ever loving shit out of her while defenseless, I was STEAMED. I honest to god LOVE Robin, and you could SEE and FEEL her suffering and hurt at the hands of this bastard. Even Lucci was disgusted by him beating on a defenseless prisoner like that. No spoilers, but BOY was I glad once karma came to bite him in the ass, and by bite, I mean chomped!

And last but not least: Gary Oak. I fail to see why the fans adore him. I hate Ash and view him to be the equivilant of Ralph Wiggum from the Simpsons, at least he isn't an insufferable PRICK like Gary. His constant "Smell ya later!"s and cocky attitude always made me mad, and I honestly found his Pokémon Special equivalent to be as boring as all get out. At least you get to wipe the floor with his team on a daily basis. So, I'll be looking forward to hear who you guys hate with a burning passion!

Are we talking in-world (this character is a prick I want to punch in the face) or out-world (this character is uninteresting and shallow) dislike? Because for me these are very, very different things.

In-world, the characters I've most managed to despise are:

- Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter. Order of the Phoenix is my favorite Harry Potter book, largely because I managed to be so delightfully enthusiastic about the entire rebellion against her.
- Mia from Californication, primarily because she is a PLAGIARIST die die burn YOU DO NOT STEAL WRITING ESPECIALLY NOT BY HANGING A STATUTORY RAPE CHARGE OVER THE ACTUAL AUTHOR'S HEAD. (This is going to sound so completely nuts to anyone who does not watch this show.)
- Eric Cartman from South Park. I haven't watched that much of South Park, but the heights of utter evil this kid manages to reach defy understanding. I'm not even talking about the feeding some kid his own parents incident so much as the way he torments Kyle. I guess bullying just strikes a nerve with me or something.
- Denny Crane from Boston Legal. Which is kind of funny because I absolutely adore his friendship with Alan Shore, and Alan is one of my favorite characters, but Denny Crane is an old Republican gun-nut with all sorts of cringeworthy opinions and (this bit annoys me most) cannot sensibly argue a point in court asdf every one of his closings is a stupid appeal to emotion and yet he wins all his cases because juries are dumb. He can annoy the hell out of me.
- Georg Bjarnfreðarson, "villain" of the Icelandic TV series Næturvaktin and its sequels. He is deliberately the most obnoxious man imaginable and succeeds admirably at that.

Note that to me, characters being in-world unlikeable is not a complaint. If anything I think it's to a work's credit to have established a character in a realistic enough way for me to manage to genuinely hate them.

Out-world-wise, meanwhile...

- Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory. This show tends to annoy me in general, but every time I see an episode I tend to spend half of it raging about how inconsistent his characterization is (it tends to amount to "has whichever degree of social ineptness, hyperrationalism, literal-mindedness, geekiness and general obnoxiousness seems funniest at the moment"). Georg Bjarnfreðarson is actually a remarkably similar character as far as the general obnoxiousness goes (not in actual personality), but the reason he's on the above list and Sheldon is on this one is that the former, despite being ridiculous and exaggerated, actually feels like a character with an actual mind and depth instead of a flat, annoying punchline delivery robot. Sheldon is slightly salvaged by the fact you can tell his actor is having a blast overacting him to ludicrous degrees, but only slightly.

...aaaand that's pretty much it, really, because most other characters I don't like out-world just fall into the "am completely uninterested in" category rather than the "actively dislike" one.

-Arthas Menethril from Warcraft and the World of. He's like an in-universe godmodder and completely fails to be an interesting or charming villain in any way.

-Porky from MOTHER/Earthbound. Overweight, spoiled, omnicidal brat.

-Joker from Klonoa. He's an annoying prick. AND HE KILLED GRANDPA AAAAAH ;_;

And that's a few, though not all of them.

Ghetsis. wtf dude, not cool at all. Same goes for that Rocket Grunt in Heartgold and Soulsilver that says Pokemon are nothing more than tools. That just really triggered something in me.

- Max from Pokemon. Must I ellaborate?

- Kimura from Azumanga Daioh. I know he's supposed to be a random pervert hunting after high school girls, but he just annoys me so much. If I were Kaorin I'd punch that freak in the face. T^T

- Umehito from Ouran High School Host Club. The doll. The costume. The creepiness. His fear of light. Ugh. I could really just... I don't know. I mean he's not my most hated character mainly because he at least showed some normalcy when he "saved" his little sister. Still...

Your rival in Pokemon Prism. Let me explain. When you first encounter him, he's in some guy's house, torturing (and killing all but one) of said guy's Pokemon with a switchblade.

Dr. Rousseau from New Blood. It's like someone took all the douchebaggery in the world and compressed it into one smug-faced little bastard. In addition to basically holding a grudge against Vaughn (even after being saved from third-degree burns by him), he steals credit for your operations.

I'm only going to list characters I love to hate :D

- Hix, from Suikoden I and II. He's an obnoxious little brat who wants to be something remotely approaching competent, but he has a chronic lack of spine. Honestly the only reason I don't actually hate him is that Tengaar is the most amazing amazing who ever did amaze. She is my favourite. And for some reason she has Hix as her love interest, and for some reason their particular dynamic seems to work, and Hix is so earnest about absolutely everything that I enjoy cursing at the screen repeatedly while I do a fetchquest for him that Tengaar is orchestrating for her own amusement.

- Vaan, from Final Fantasy XII. He's an obnoxious twit but the rest of the cast notices exactly how obnoxious he is :'D It feels like I'm meant to be hating his guts, unlike with Tidus where parts of the cast actually like him and it's like ... ... ... YOUR TASTE IS BEYOND BAD.

- Jowy, from Suikoden II. For a while, I was thinking his character motivation made absolutely no sense so it was YOU ARE INCONSISTENTLY WRITTEN rather than YOU ARE AN IDIOT, but I think I have a sense of why the fuck he does anything now. He is badly in need of many punches in the face and also he deserves all the carrots in the world, but after a certain point in the game he stopped pinging me as inconsistently written and instead is simply inconsistent. He's a fucking idiot who reconsiders his loyalties every time someone in the world drops a hat, but it's more ... Jowy is an idiot rather than, say, Jowy holding the traitor ball. He thinks of something he wants to do, and he does it, and he at no point stops to think if maybe whatever he's about to do is a really fucking stupid idea.

I got bored.

-Joker from Klonoa. He's an annoying prick. AND HE KILLED GRANDPA AAAAAH ;_;
Really? I loved Joka. :o he was my favourite because he was such a suck-up to Ghadius.
Musafa.

Do I really need to explain this

wait, who? sounds like that guy from The Lion King.

I tend to nearly always enjoy villain characters, but protagonists can annoy me a bit. Hamlet (... of Hamlet) has always seemed like such an overdramatic wanker in characterisation and is possibly the only part of Hamlet that I don't like; Harry Potter is frequently irritating because he just seems to not get things sometimes (I disliked Order of the Phoenix because more than half of it was Harry whinging about something or another); Zaphod Beeblebrox just ticked me off and I had no idea why; Jimmy of Oryx and Crake and also Year of the Flood is a jerkface and I really hate him for failing at everything he's ever tried but I like him because he's relatable. :B

Elen from Battlestar Galactica. At first I thought she was Number Six, but then I realized that it's a different actress. And she does bad stuff anyway, without me being sure whether she is a Cylon or not.

Wait, fuck, I meant Scar, not Mufasa. Fuck I haven't seen this movie in forever.

Either way he is a complete asshole

KNOW WHAT?!?! Linebeck from Phantom Hourglass. I know he hauls your ass everywhere, but he never ever gives you anything except some Rupees when you get Jolene or the monkey pirates out...

- Mia from Californication, primarily because she is a PLAGIARIST die die burn YOU DO NOT STEAL WRITING ESPECIALLY NOT BY HANGING A STATUTORY RAPE CHARGE OVER THE ACTUAL AUTHOR'S HEAD.
aaahhugh i quit that show because she was such a huge obnoxious bitch

Some that I thought of just now:

Ash from the anime- I really don't need an explanation here.

Saint Dane frome the Pendragon series- He's just a smug, know-it-all, manipulative asshole.

Karkat Vantas (Not the forumgoer)- He's just a obnoxious, arrogant asshole, with pretty much no likeable qualities. He has been becoming less of an asshole recently, though.

VRISKA. FUCKING VRISKA.

SHE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL THE BAD THINGS

ALL OF THEM

Every rival in pokemon from diamond/Pearl onwards. Seriously your rivals are relentless in this game, worse yet In Black and White where you can't as much walk to the exit of a new town/area without being challenged to a battle or being forced to sit through arbitrary text, hammering the A button so you can actually get back to playing the game.

Every rival in pokemon from diamond/Pearl onwards. Seriously your rivals are relentless in this game, worse yet In Black and White where you can't as much walk to the exit of a new town/area without being challenged to a battle or being forced to sit through arbitrary text, hammering the A button so you can actually get back to playing the game.

But but but they actually have character development! And just character! And it actually makes you feel like you're on a Pokemon journey with them!

What they did to Samus in Metroid other M. I just about tossed that game out the window. Then I got to the metroid queen which made me happy.

Back
Top Bottom