• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

How did you become a Pokémon fan?

Re: How did you become a Pokémon fan?

My firend gave me his Firered for 5 minutes and told me to train. I was like, "What?"

TL;DR WARNING!!!

I used to watch the anime when I was 3 but I couldn't remember anything. Years later I had found my stash of Pokéball toys that had small figures inside them. I played with them a lot but didn't know what they were. I always wondered what the little bity Barney-thing was doing in one of themm, and a mouse in the other ((dragonite and Pikachu respectively)). Years later when I was 7 I saw the Hoenn Adventures and remebered what the toys and show were about. But back then I was clueless about everything Pokémon, and I only knew the first 151 Pokémon. I thought the strangest Pokémon was Grovyle, because it had a leaf on it's head. much later Then I RP'ed in real life with a group of friends about Pokémon, but I could only do the two Gen's Pokémon. Then one friend desribed a Wolf like thing that had a helmet with a gem in it and had steel gauntlet. He said it fought with a lot of punches and could fire laser beams from its hands. At the time he said it the strongest Pokémon of all. Then I saw it later in a movie and it looked nothing like he described. It was Lucario. Then a year before D/P I knew every Pokémon and a few Gen !Vs, but I was kind of clueless at everthing besides Weavile, Lucario, and Dialga. then before they were released I knew it all.

tl;dr.

Basically, Animé and friends. By the way, the animé episode was the one with the Digletts and Dugtrios.

Starting watching the anime. I liked it a lot, so I asked for a Game Boy Color upon hearing there were games.

And so we go off in search of a GBC. That was easy. However, I was most disappointed when Toys 'R Us was out of Pokemon. Hardly surprising, but that's irrelevant to a small child.

I believe I found them about half a year or so later at a GameStop. After having the differences between Red and Blue clearly explained to me (not that I understood them at that age) I went with Blue.

Hmm... I think I might've been a Pokémon fan for about as long as I can remember, actually! In preschool, I remember my friends and I gathering around the TV and singing the theme song together as the animé came on; I think I pretty much lost interest in it after that, though, believing it to be a "baby" thing, until about 3rd grade or so; I think I started playing Pokémon Ruby then, because I heard some classmates talking about it?

But, uuh... yeah, that's about how I got into Pokémon! I think.

When I was about 3 or 4, my brother had a Game Boy Color, the only game for it was Pokemon Blue. He played it lots, and I'd always watch, eagerly awaiting the chances I got when he'd let me play it. Eventually, I played it a lot more, and soon after he just flat out gave me the GBC and the game. When I was 8, I think, I realized how boring just one game was, and went out and got Pokemon Sapphire and a GBA.

And then eventually I caught on to a few Pokemon sites, a few months before D/P were released in Japan, and I was officially obsessed.

Watched my cousin play his Gold version, became instantly hooked. Bought a Yellow off someone and then Crystal the year it came out for Christmas.

March 2010 with super smash bros brawl played as pikachu a lot anda couple weeks later i have platinum. now i have every game except crystal

'tis a thrilling tale, of brotherhood and wonder. We'd just moved to England, and I had absolutely no friends. I found a group of boys who were playing Pokemon (by playing Pokemon I mean, running around the playground pretending to be Pokemon). I asked "what the heck is Pokemon" and whether I could play; they smirked and told me I could be a Koffing - all I had to do was "run around the field and cough a lot!". So I did. Somehow these kids became my friends.

I became a fan of the card game before I'd even played the games or seen the anime (and I think I might have even seen the first film before I saw the anime, it was never on our marvellous selection of five channels). A boy gave me cards he had doubles of, a Ponyta and a Machoke, and they still remain some of my favourite Pokemon purely because of the nostalgia. :'D

Ahh, I did love that card game.

once upon a time there was an annoying three-year-old who liked to bother his older half-brother whenever he saw him. so one day his brother gave him a a peice of paper with an angry dragon on it. then over the years his brother gave him more =and more lame cards. then his other half-brother got him a game boy advance and pokemon crystal. then the now six-year-old annoying kid with all the half-brothers quit playing after a while. then when pokemon diamond and pearl came out four years later, the now ten-year-old was intrigued by the cards *yet again*. so he traded an aggron he pulled a while back for an electivire and secretly started an underground trading network through all of fourth grade. then he asked for pearl for christmas and now breathes pixels.

When I was four, my next door neighbors let me play their GBC Pokemon game. (I think it was Blue). I then demanded a GBA and Pokemon, which I got, even thought the GBA was technically my little brother's. Then a year later I got my own GBA, Yellow version, a stuffed Pikachu toy that talked when you squeezed its hand/paw, and cards for Christmas. I saw the first movie when it was in theaters and I freaked out when Mewtwo came on the screen. And I haven't stopped playing since. :)

When i was about 6 years old, my older sister had 2 pokemon blue verisons. She said that 1 of them didnt work. So i asked if i could use it to see if it worked(i was a good lier and i hated pokemon untill i played). So i put in my Game Boy AdvanceSP and started playing it. So, now you people know how it came to be.

The first time I saw the anime was when I was 3 or 4 and my mom was flipping through some channels to see if there was anything I wanted to watch. The episode was nearly over, so I didn't really get to see it, although from what I did see I thought it was kinda strange, what with a little yellow creature saying a weird phrase over and over.

Then later, when I was in first grade (was 5 at the time), a boy gave me a Pikachu card on Valentine's day (lol..). I remembered him from TV a long time ago, and since the card had the Pokemon logo on there... Well, actually I don't really remember what happened, but I became a fan!!

I watched Pokemon (and Digimon a little later) everyday after school. On the weekends, my mom would take me and my older sister to the mall, where there was a store called "Heroes Hangout" that had all kinds of geeky stuff (I wish I could go there now!). I bought Pokemon cards there every weekend. Well, I bought three packs, and the rest of the weekends I got Pokemon "Action Flipz" (which were those little things where if you tilt it a certain way, the picture changes). I got nearly all of them ._.

First packs (I still have them)

We rented Pokemon Stadium once, too, and I thought it was so cool. I couldn't wait to own it... I asked for it for Christmas, but no luck :P At the time I didn't know of the existence of Red and Blue, but when we moved from South Carolina back to Tennessee I saw commercials for Pokemon Gold and Silver on TV, sooo next Christmas I asked for a GBC and Silver, which I got.. w00t! Man, I could not get OFF of that game, I loved it so. I was 6 at the time about to be 7. For my seventh birthday (2 months later lol), my grandmother got me Gold, my big sister got me Yellow, and my parents got me Pokemon Stadium :OOOOO

Anyway, yeah.

i became a fan of pokemon when i was younger i looked over my brothers shouder

Like 09-ish.At school our teacher allowed you to bring your DS with you as long as you didnt play in class.I walked over to like a group of people and my friend asked me to help her with Sabrina etc. and I won and she was telling me I was pretty good for a first time player. and then the one kid showed me the Regi's.So when I got home I asked if I could get a Pokemon game so we went to Walmart and I got Pearl.And now I cant live without.My mom says its like rooted to my hands xD

Back in... 3rd grade I believe, I went over to my neighbour's house to play some street hockey. He had this magnificent device in his house called a Nintendo 64, which I had never seen before. It was a beatiful shade of pink, and I fell in love.

Buuuuut.... he wouldn't let me play it because he was busy play SSB. So I made a deal with my dad. If I learned how to ride a bike without training wheels, he would buy me an N64. So naturally, I dedicated myself and two days later we went to Future Shop.

My dad saw the price tag and decided to opt for the cheaper option of a GBA. So I got a GBA and the first game I ever got was, by pure luck, first one on the shelf: Pokemon Crystal.

Ever since then, I've been hooked. And that is my story.

My story is very boring. I got a GBA for my fourth birthday and next year my birthday I got Ruby.

When the initial craze hit my hometown, EVERYONE my age was involved in it. (IIRC, I was in the fourth grade then.) It took almost a full year before my brother and I were given some cards by a pair of friends. We started our own collections, and I went on the learn how to play the TCG (never found anyone to actually play against, though; I still have a couple of decks). In 2000, I got a copy of Yellow; my brother played on my save some. By the time we made it to the eighth gym, we got my brother a copy of Red, which had a save file already on it; he used it. I made it to the Elite Four first, but he beat it first.

I got my first copy of Gold in 2002, and got Ruby in late 2003 (for our single Game Boy Advance). John played it more then I, and restarted it three times in total. After that, I was finally able to play the game from start to finish.

John has moved on from Pokémon, but I continue to enjoy the games, and eagerly await Black and White.

Last edited:

My auntie got me into Pokémon by buying me some Pokémon toy figures for my birthday. Poliwag, Poliwhirl and Poliwrath to be exact. I loved them, so I looked out for more Pokémon stuff. I started watching the animé and when Christmas rolled around I got Pokémon Red. I took that everywhere and did nothing else for a long time.

Until Silver was due to come out, that is. I got so excited my mum had to find somewhere that did imported games so I could play it for Christmas, at the time thinking Santa would bring me anything I wanted, even if it hadn't been released yet. xD

Back
Top Bottom