• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Lady Gaga

Lily Allen's not making any more music. Because it doesn't pay.

BUT. GAGA OH LA LA~ I loveeeee Lady Gaga and it must be stated again.

lady gaga is cool. i really like her flamboyant, sexual, and bizarre aesthetics, it makes her probably the most entertaining top 40 artist (other than lil wayne or kanye west maybe), despite the fact that her music is pretty damn generic.

also, while i'm mentioning kanye west, why did they have to axe that whole "fame kills" thing? it honestly would have been the coolest thing ever! although i guess it's a moot point because they weren't coming to my city anyway.

Old thread, yeah, but better to resurrect an old one than create a copy, I figured.

Opinions on Born This Way?

First I must confess that I'm a hardcore little monster, so of course I'm going to be biased positively. I think the lyrics are a little heavy-handed (as, I think, everyone thought when she leaked them last week), but in the context of the song I think they don't call undue attention to themselves (i.e. it works). I love the music, especially the synthesizer in the background of the chorus. (I can't think of any adjectives to help identify it other than maybe "metallic"?)

I'm predicting that it's catchy enough to hit #1 on the Hot 100, but I don't think it'll premiere there like lots of little monsters are hoping. Maybe around the time the music video comes out. Scratch that, it broke the iTunes record for fastest track to hit #1 after its release (3 hours). It's definitely going places.

Last edited:
Well, to be quite frank...I don't like it. At all. Listened to it a few times, but it's just not getting any better. It's my least favorite Gaga song, no contest. :<

Just sounds like layers of synth were piled on top of each other, and the lyrics contain far too much cheese for my tastes. Don't get me wrong, I like a bit of cliché in songs every now and again, but this sounds like less of a song and more of "this message was brought to you by Lady Gaga".

Aw well, I'm sure the rest of the album will be amazing.

It's very catchy and poppy but... it feels too normal for Lady GaGa. It feels like any catchy song from the 80s. And also the lyrics are... I don't like them, really. And "Believe capital H-I-M (hey, hey, hey)," really? And yeah, "chola" and "orient"... good going there.

But hey, it's one song out of... whatever many songs she'll have. I'm hoping there'll be more like "Scheisse."

At first listen, I was EXTREMELY shocked at the sound, and that's a big thing considering how important Gaga is in my life. However, after a few listens, I gradually accepted her going back to a brighter, happier sound. I love The Fame Monster to death, but I think a return to the eccentric, happy, The Fame-era Gaga is a great thing. I have not only gotten used to the song, but I'm starting to love it about on the same level as her other singles. Here's a relative placement of how good I think it is, not including Brown Eyes or Speecless because they are very different from the rest of her songs:

1. Bad Romance
2. Paparazzi
3. Monster
4. Dance in the Dark
5. Born This Way
6. Telephone
7. Poker Face
8. Just Dance
9. Alejandro
10. So Happy I Could Die

As you can see, I believe Born This Way is a very good song. It is far different from the majority of her songs, but I think it's sort of somewhere in between "Dance In The Dark" and something like "Money Honey" or "The Fame," in that it has sounds that feel like a natural evolution from TFM but incorporate a good bit of the happier, more careless nature of The Fame.

This is also relevent to the Born This Way conversation so read it:
Born This Way registered the highest US radio debut ever, with over 2500 total plays and a massive 1838 mainstream radio plays in it's first day. The previous record, set only a month ago by Britney Spears' Hold It Against Me, was only 619 total plays.
Born This Way also became the fastest selling digital song in history, topping the US iTunes chart in less than 3 hours and topping the iTunes carts in 22 countries within 12 hours.
The song is expected to debut at #1 on the US Hot 100, making it the 1000th number one hit and extending Gaga to a record 8 consecutive top ten debut singles.

Lyric wise, it's amazing to me - I do NOT see the problem with the terms "chola" or "orient" as I have both Hispanic and Asian friends who do not take offense at all. The the part with "capital H-I-M?" She says it doesn't matter if you love him, ie. it doesn't matter if you believe in him. It also includes all theistic religions by not explicitly saying the Christian god. She is from a Catholic home so it is not a very surprising thing for her to passively mention God. In the parts where she does mention a god, it's only to say that he made you perfectly.

Thank you for your time.

Lyric wise, it's amazing to me - I do NOT see the problem with the terms "chola" or "orient" as I have both Hispanic and Asian friends who do not take offense at all.

"Chola" is an ethnic slur. "Orient" is the equivalent of "negro." In addition, your friends don't represent the majority of Hispanic or Asian people. Respect that there are people who would take offense to this word because it does have a history behind it.

The the part with "capital H-I-M?" She says it doesn't matter if you love him, ie. it doesn't matter if you believe in him. It also includes all theistic religions by not explicitly saying the Christian god.

Oh, come on. She specifically says "believe H-I-M." That's a command to, you know, believe God. It also doesn't include all theistic religions; it includes all monotheistic religions, not the polytheistic ones. I don't mind songs that mention God; I'm just thinking it would have been way more inclusive if, you know, it didn't single out people who believed in a single god.

I was disappointed by Born This Way. GaGa usually has such intelligent lyrics, ones that require you to step back and think before your struck with realisation and her genius dawns on you. When I was listening to Born This Way, I may as well have had GaGa chiselling "It's okay to be gay" into the back of my skull.

Also yeah, ethnic slurs are not okay.

Born This Way, while having a good beat, came across to me as gimmicky. It's almost like it should be used as the theme song for the Human Rights Campaign rather than entertainment.

I have to say, though, Cee-Lo totally out-Gaga'd Gaga. Aside from the egg and the pointless pipe organ, her entire performance was totally normal. And therefore, from her, unexpected.

Back
Top Bottom