• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Languages

I fail at languages. =( I can only speak English properly, but I'm supposed to know Spanish since my parents speak it, as well as a lot of people around where I live, but I only know a few words. At least I can get all the pronunciation right. (Except the rolled R's - I could never do those... I guess my tongue muscles are weak?) I studied Latin last year, but I failed and had to kinda cheat on the test to pass it. T_T Never done that before... I've always been the good little nerd. Of course, cheating is hard to define when you're homeschooled. Basically I'd better study harder this year or else I'm screwed.

Dutch reads like German quite a bit. It's close grammatically as well. Pronunciation is markedly different.

こんにちは! ぼくは スーパーヨッシー888。すみません、ぼくの こくぶんぽうは よくない です。

Basically, I said my Japanese grammer is bad. I can't really understand it without a dictionary near by, but I can at least read it.

こんにちは! ぼくは スーパーヨッシー888。すみません、ぼくの こくぶんぽうは よくない です。

konnichiwa, boku wa su-pa-yosshi-888. sumimasen, boku no kokubunpou wa yokunai desu.

hello, i'm superyoshi888. sorry/pardon me, my japanese grammar isn't good.

I know English fluently, four years' worth of German and five years' worth of French (mostly forgotten), and an assortment of words and phrases in random languages (los llamas son mas grande que las ranas).

I was going to try to learn some Russian for the school trip there in February but in all honesty I can't be bothered :P Same with various other languages, minus the school-trip-based inspiration.

Well, I'm fluent in English (obviously), he estado aprendiendo español para aproximadamente un año, そして私はちょうど日本語を学び始めた。

I'm sure there was already a thread for this somewhere. [tags relevantly]

I'm mostly competent with English -- my grammar and spelling deteriorate at random, however -- annnnd I understand enough Spanish to communicate in Spanglish with some of my neighbors. And I understand enough Japanese to play some video games well enough but don't ask me to speak/write in Japanese: my vocabulary suuuuucks and also I end up using http://www.guidetojapanese.org/ constantly.

おはよう〜! 私は スクーツ だ。 十七才 だろう ね。 茶色アヒルは ケンが いる。一匹の猫と四匹の犬も いる。 

私のホバークラフトは うなげが いっぱい だ ね。

日本語が話しにくい。 好き じゃない。 ( ̄~ ̄;)

Last edited:
I'm sure there was already a thread for this somewhere. [tags relevantly]
I'm sure that I remember it, too, but what the hay.

I'm really only fluent in English, since I've lived such a stereotypically normal childhood. (I'm a white American, I live with my mom, dad, and sister, we take vacations most every summer, and we live in a middle class suburban neighborhood in the Midwest populated almost exclusively by other white people. Though come to think of it, we can't be totally normal, since we don't have a dog and I didn't want one as a kid. But that's neither here nor there.) I have a large vocabulary in English, as well, a fact which I would attribute largely to my father's lectures as a child which included such words as "redundant", "reciprocation", "famine", and "utterance", which spurred me to try to figure out what the heck people were saying when they said things. (I'm sure that he would have preferred that they spurred me to brush my teeth more often, though, as that's what he usually lectured me about.)
I've been taking Spanish in school at the honors level since eighth grade, and my dad had been trying to teach me what he remembered of his Spanish classes from college up until then. I still have a lot of trouble with speaking, hearing, and writing the language, though, and won't consider myself fluent until I can go to a bar somewhere in Mexico, and, not only order myself a drink, but eavesdrop on the other patrons at the bar and know what they mean.
I've been trying to learn Italian independantly for probably about a year. I mostly just know practical phrases like, "Spia piro!" and "Occhio il grosso!" and "Sentry avanti!" and culinary terms like "parmasean" and "fromaggio" and "biscotti", though, and I would have a hard time making ends meet were I today put in, say, Rome.
In preschool, my teachers tried to teach us all French. It didn't work. I'm signed up to take French in high school this year, though, and going in, I know a few select terms, such as "voulez-vous coucher avec moi", "deux boules [of ice cream], si vous plais", "brie et jambon, SVP", and "Parle-vous anglais?". I can read things in French when I'm lucky, pronounce them when I'm luckier, and spell them when I'm really on a roll and I'm having a good day.
My sister's been dabbling in German for some time, and with her trying to speak it so often, I've picked up a few words. My German is even more limited than my Italian or French, though, as about all I can say are "Die kline Eisbär est kaput, ja?", "Ich liebe die Luftwaffa," "Vol ist die S-bahn?" "Dummkopf!", "Mien Haus est neu", "Vasa, bitte," and "Danke". I usually make up German words by adding "en" to the end of English words.
I hope to some day master Spanish, possibly Italian and maybe French, learn a little Portugese, learn (at least to read) Arabic, and possibly even Russian phonetics or something.

English is my native language. Even better, I used to have a south-urn accent thanks to my family, be I taught myself out of that as soon as I was able.

I also am pretty good at Spanish. Me parece muy facil.

I'm also interested in Japanese, Icelandic (though it seems very difficult), German, and French.

Last edited:
This is a weird-sounding construction. It would be better to say "me parece muy facil" or "lo encuentro muy facil". I don't mean to sound jerkish; just trying to help.

I wrote that as if responding to a question. I understand how that could be confusing xD

¿Que te parece español?

You could answer formally (complete sentence), i.e.

Me parece muy facil.

Or informally:

Es facil.

But, hey, that's just the way I was taught.

¿Que te parece español?

You could answer formally (complete sentence), i.e.

Me parece muy facil.

Or informally:

Es facil.

But, hey, that's just the way I was taught.

Those sentences are all correct; it's the earlier quote that was weird. "Es muy facil, si me preguntas" sounds like it's easy only when someone asks you about, and it seems translated directly from "It's pretty easy, if you ask me". That expression, as far as I know, doesn't exist in Spanish.

I'm only fluent in English. I learnt Japanese and German at school for two years, though I gave up learning another language this year. I can only remember a few words in German and I can read Japanese Hiragana as long as I have a Hiragana chart in front of me.

I speak English. Not sure how to gauge my level of fluency, though I think I'm pretty good, as I can speak, write, read, sing, etc. in English. It's my first language.

In my native language, Tagalog, I suppose I can get by, but I don't have that natural Filipino accent - I'm often laughed at by native Filipinos because I "sound like an American". I live in the US, though. What I meant was that when I visit the Philippines or speak with someone on the phone, they laugh.

In Spanish, I can hardly get by. I only know basic things/terms/phrases and the alphabet but since I never converse in Spanish, I've quickly forgotten how to. If you give me a basic sentence I can usually translate it fairly well, though my written Spanish is loads better than verbal. The terms I know best are mainly body parts, colors, numbers, and bits and pieces of such subjects as furniture, weather, and theme parks. I do listen to a lot of Reggaeton and sometimes memorize whole songs, though I usually have only the slightest clue as to what I'm saying xD
I can describe people fairly well, though.

I've never actually studied French (or rather, wasn't supposed to) but at my previous school, I would occasionally skip class when we had a substitute and sit in a French class instead. The teacher adored me because supposedly I "have a good ear", but I disagree. The meanings of most of the things I've learned haven't stuck in my head, but the words to the poem Il pleure dans mon coeur are mostly there. I think I've forgotten the last line or two, though. If someone says something in French to me, slowly, I can usually do a fairly decent job of parroting it.

Japanese...I looked up an online guide one day when I was bored, but it's better for written Japanese. I want to learn to speak Japanese, but with everything else I'm trying to learn, I don't think that seems very practical. I'll probably try Japanese after Spanish and French. I often watch animé in Japanese with English subs, though, to try and familiarize myself with the words and accents. I'm halfway through season 3 of Sailor Moon at the moment =3

Most of the foreign languages I try to speak usually come out in a somewhat Spanish-like accent, though I can't for the life of me figure out why. It would make more sense for them to come out in a Filipino accent, since I speak more Tagalog than Spanish, but hey. I'm just like that~

In my native language, Tagalog, I suppose I can get by, but I don't have that natural Filipino accent - I'm often laughed at by native Filipinos because I "sound like an American".

Oh what same here

I'm Filipino too~ Didn't know you were, Harmony.

So obviously, I speak English, and am somewhat fluent in Tagalog, and know a pinch of French for school. Not enough to have a conversation or anything.

Kumusta, Harmony~

Huh, I didn't know you, Dragon and Harmory, were Filipinos, too. (And I thought I was the only one on this site... =D). But unlike you two, I don't speak in Tagalog nor do I understand a word of it. Dx I don't know why the language didn't catch on to me; my family always spoke to me in Tagalog when I was a baby (my grandmother, on the other hand, would speak to me in Pangasinan instead). Then again, I only started to speak actual words at the age of four, so something must've been screwed up in my head at the time.

The only language I'm really fluent in is English because I live in landlocked Missouri. I just started my third year studying French so I can sort of understand it if it's spoken slowly. I read and write French better then I speak it. My pronunciation isn't great.

I'd like to becoming fluent in French and another language, though I'm not sure what other language I want to learn.

I'm Filipino too~ Didn't know you were, Harmony.

Kumusta, Harmony~

lol it's spelled "Kamusta" xD
Mabuti...po? You're older, right? =]
Ako rin - akala ko ako lang ang Pilipino dito.
Now, I wonder if I spelled all that correctly...as you can see, my written Tagalog is about as good as my ability to cook - which is pretty much non-existent.

Huh, I didn't know you, Dragon and Harmony, were Filipinos, too.

FAMILY REUNION OMGWTFBBQ
<3
I can haz English - Tagalog dictionary =3

Did any of you ever get an e-mail with something like "Nakakatawang Pinoy Signs" for the title? It's hilarious - I'll e-mail it to you guys, if you want~
You don't even have to understand Tagalog for most of them to be funny, just as long as you're familiar with a Filipino accent.

Back
Top Bottom