• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

League Championship 2011

I'll do e-reffing for any battle in either bracket if somebody needs it done.

I'd be willing to ref one battle.

Would the thick fat ability reduce the amount of health/energy lost at the end of each round?

Okay, let's see what I can make out of all this.

Firstly, the late bracket is not full. Windragon filled the fifth slot, and Lord of the Fireflies gets the sixth because he was the next to express interest, even though he mistakenly thought it was full. I'm sorry, Wargle, but at no point was I taking reservations for the late bracket. There's no point in giving people time to prep teams, so I'll post up the battles some time after I'm done with tonight's class + homework (oh 7-10 pm class whyyyy).

There were also two people who volunteered to referee those battles and no others, so they're the ones who'll be doing them: blazheirio889 and Blastoise Fortooate. If any of the other people who offered to ref either sort of battle secretly have a strong preference for reffing a late bracket battle over one of the rotation ones, speak now or forever hold your piece, since I'd enjoy reffing one and will take the last, assigning you to a rotation battle, if you don't speak up now. I think I'll have enough referees to leave me with only one or two battles to ref one way or another, which is great.

Lord of the Fireflies, how serious are you in your offer to ref?

A couple of questions:

Does rotating out have the same priority as switching out would, or is it affected by speed?

How is experience going to be distributed?
Rotating has the same priority as switching.

All pokémon that spend at least some time on the battlefield (presumably all of them, but hey, anything's possible) get one EXP. Each KO that a pokémon scores is worth another EXP.

I realize that taking an action to rotate is to balance the mechanic and all, but the description as is implies that fliers/levitators can avoid this because there is no "footing" to regain. Is this intentional? And would things like earthquake and/or dig still work in this arena?
This is not intentional. All rotations take a full action. Dig and earthquake still work in this arena.

Would the thick fat ability reduce the amount of health/energy lost at the end of each round?
No--thick fat just confers resistance to ice, and pokémon that resist ice attacks aren't spared the arena's effect.

Lord of the Fireflies gets the sixth because he was the next to express interest, even though he mistakenly thought it was full. I'm sorry, Wargle, but at no point was I taking reservations for the late bracket.
Lord of the Fireflies was previously in the tournament, though, which is what I assume he meant about "reserv[ing] the late-bracket spot in case [no] one shows up".

Negrek said:
All pokémon that spend at least some time on the battlefield (presumably all of them, but hey, anything's possible) get one EXP. Each KO that a pokémon scores is worth another EXP.

Er, I guess I should be a bit more clear. Do Pokemon "in reserve" still receive those KO points, or just the one who is actively battling. A possible total of 12 exp (or, in res' case, $300) seems a bit high to me.

True, I was assuming everybody was aware.
Hmm, I thought that might be the case, but was too lazy to go back and check. In that case, skip Lord of the Fireflies, skip Skyman, and in the end Wargle gets the sixth slot. Funny how that works out.

Er, I guess I should be a bit more clear. Do Pokemon "in reserve" still receive those KO points, or just the one who is actively battling. A possible total of 12 exp (or, in res' case, $300) seems a bit high to me.
Well, that was the question I was trying to answer before, so I suppose I'll try again--no. A pokémon earns additional EXP only upon actually knocking out an opponent. Simply being "alive" at the time that another pokémon earned a KO is worth nothing.

Edit: Late bracket threads are now up. Good luck to you all!

Last edited:
All battle threads for both the third round and the late bracket are now up. Good luck, everyone; let's see some great battles this round!

An evolved pokémon costs the rarity of its base stage + 1 for each evolution it has undergone, up to a maximum of eight. A base-stage pokémon that cannot evolve costs its normal rarity plus two, again up to the cap of r8.
It's totally fine.

Could, let's say, Baton Pass be used? U-Turn (with its switching effect)? Healing Wish?

For that matter, have you reached a decision about the various moves that prevent switching? Something like spider web would obviously stop rotation since the pokémon would be physically restrained, but what about mean look or block? If it's possible to force your way out of a fire spin to move in a regular battle, can you do the same to rotate here?

I think volatile status/stat changes/etc. remain with a pokémon when it's rotated out; are you planning on having the same thing happen in these battles?

Is the 5% damage every round in the Cold Storage affected by the Damage Cap?
No.

Okay, so I'll try to clear up some questions about the rotation format here. Let me know if you have any further questions afterward.

- Most important of all, rotation is not switching. Ordinarily, switching out would cure you of confusion and attraction, shed some other effects like leech seed, and reset all your stat changes. This does not occur upon rotation. A pokémon that rotates out will retain its status until it rotates back in; in a sense, it will be as though it never left the battlefield at all once it rotates back in.
- Think of rotating out like going into hibernation, or perhaps into "cold storage." The pokémon is no longer engaged in battle, and its metabolism drops considerably as it sits idle in the cold. As a result, it will not continue taking burn or poison damage, toxic damage won't worsen, and neither will conditions like confusion or paralysis fade over time. Instead, the large metabolic slowdown will progressively damage the pokémon and sap its energy. For ice-types, which experience no ill effects from the cold, they do continue taking poison, burn, etc. damage, their statuses can fade, and so on, and they do not take the 5% health/energy damage from the cold. Once the pokémon gets back into battle and moving around again, it will be able to stave off the cold's effects to an extent (although it still takes damage), and status conditions will continue to progress as normal.
- Rotating always takes a full action. There's no way to combo anything with rotation or skip the "getting up to speed" time after a pokémon has been rotated in.
- Rotating has a priority greater than any pokémon attack (except pursuit or mean look and similar; see below); it isn't affected by things like speed drops or paralysis. It also won't fail because of confusion or attraction.
- However, if a pokémon is physically prevented from leaving the field--it is restrained by its opponent, it's trapped somewhere, etc, or it's targeted by mean look or block on the action it would rotate, it will not switch out. Mean look, block, and similar are the only attacks that can "counter" rotation; a pokémon using one on the action a pokémon would rotate out will be able to intervene in the rotation even though the priority of the rotation would ordinarily be too high for them to take effect. Pursuit can be used to deal boosted damage against a pokémon as it rotates out. A sleeping pokémon cannot be rotated out until it wakes up.
- Attacks like volt switch, u-turn, etc., that would ordinarily trigger switching, can instead be used to trigger a rotation, but the pokémon being switched in will still be unable to do anything for the next action. If there would still be an action in the round after the pokémon got rotated in, you must issue a command for it on the final action, or it will stand around doing nothing again. Healing wish is also fine, and follows these rules (the pokémon receiving the wish is healed immediately upon rotating in, but then must wait an action before taking action). These attacks do not get heightened priority because they cause rotation.
- Attacks like roar, dragon tail, etc. still do not force a rotation.

I apologize for not making all that clear earlier; my conception of this round was a bit rushed. If you want to take issue with one of these, or if this significantly changes how you were going to play and you want to switch out your team or something, that's fine.

Last edited:
Is it possible to hit a rotating foe with Pursuit much the same way you can do it to a switchout?

Back
Top Bottom