• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2008

Are you taking part this year?

• Total voters
Tonight, my fingers hurt like what (made even worse by the fact that they've already been stiff for a long time now); I actually wore a hole in my little balloon stress ball thing, I was squeezing it so often to try and work out the kinks. All this month I have fought with my computer over various stupid things, abused the crap out of Butterfree's sprite generator when I was out of ideas for characters (oh, so often... and I thought I had it all worked out!), procrastinated, worked like hell, procrastinated, worked like hell, procrastinated, procrastinated, wrote many scenes I strongly suspect will be useless in the end, procrastinated... Tonight specifically, I typed over 8000 words, typed until my laptop caught fire and am currently nursing my hands with a heated beanbag. Because my fingers really, really hurt right now. But, tonight, as of 11:30 pm:

nano08winnerviking120x2eg9.jpg

(I would totally use one of the 100x100 images as my avatar, but I'm rather fond of my Dahlia quote for now.)

50179 words, 93 pages of complete and utter rambly crap that I am literally going to be unable to edit; that's how horrific and cluttered I feel it is. When editing time comes around I'm actually going to have to rewrite it completely, using what I've written this month as a reference only. And the story is probably going to turn out completely differently, given how many absolutely retarded plot holes I managed to dig in there. But I effectively effing finished a draft of a long story, which I have never ever managed to do before, and I am ecstatic about it. It feels crazy good, people... keep going if you want to feel crazy good, too!

...did I by any chance mention that my fingers hurt.

*pats purple wordcount bar on NaNo site with aching fingers*

I didn't even come close to finishing, but I did have a good time writing my measly 9000k story. Oh well. I'll try again next year I guess.

Okay. Uh. Yeah. Panic time, I guess. I have over 13000 words to do in two days, which wouldn't seem such an impossible task earlier, but I am being totally stalled by constant lack-of-ideas, and I am absolutely refusing to turn my spellchecker off because I at least like to have my writing comprehensible for when I edit it, even if it isn't too great. And then there's my constant subconscious opening of Firefox and procrastinating without even realising I'm doing it, and the fact that some of the people on Nanowrimo.org's "NaNoWriMo Ate My Soul" forum are complaining even though they're a good 5000 words ahead of me, or even 10000. Even my dad told me to "just give up" (real supportive :D) but I know this is possible because I managed to get nearly 10000 words done in one day last year. It just so happens that I had much more motivation and a much looser storyline back then.

Okay, I guess I should go write now, but... if I make this, you all owe me money or something. Yes, that might help motivate me. xD

Congrats, everyone who finished! =D You are epically amazing.

I suck. D: -pulls out storyboard for next year.-

I~ am~ 3k~ from~ winning~

I'm doing it straight and will finish tomorrow. But unfortunately, I've had to come to face facts that my novel is NOT done. |D So that's what I'll be spending December doing! Writing the extra 25k (estimate) needed to finish the story. And then editing it. And then trying to -gasp- publish it because I like it so much. /ego

Oh well, it still hits 50k with a mini-climax, at least.

Soon I will obtain some of those wonderful NaNo winner buttons! Soon, I tell you!

No fair! Why are the winner buttons more awesome this year than they were last year? D:

Thanks for the link and instructions, NWT and Kratos. ^^ ((I don't think I already posted that; I know I was going to. Sorry if I already said that. xD;))

Well, seeing as I haven't yet reached 20K and I have two days with family plans and lots of homework, I'm not going to make it and I don't intend to kill myself trying. My story is moving along, and I've written more than I ever have for one story, so I'm satisfied. I will keep working on this, and I will finish it.

Congratulations to those of you that have finished, and good luck to those of you still trying! =D

14,293 words left for me!

Think I can make it?

ETA: To all the anonymous naysayers that surely exist, HA!
12,990~ words to go.

I think I can make it!

Last edited:
*Finishes last guest speaker image, sighs with relief, observes that it is terrible and goes to get some sleep anyway.*

Cryssie, I loved that last one so much that I saved it onto my computer.
Do you think that maybe you could show all the ones you've made so far? I have liked your motivational speakers.

No, the problem is my boring parents not letting me stay up to finish it.

I just got 1000 done in an hour, though, so I still have some hope. And if I do get to at least 49k or so I'm sure they'll let me stay up to squeeze out the last bit. Panic mostly over, but I still have to keep worrying myself, because that moment of panic got me to push out those 1000 words of crap pretty quickly

And with that Leviathan has won his first NaNoWriMo; you can tell how fried his brain is because he's talking in third person like this.

And yet, what I find most amazing is that I've managed to keep all of my grades up at school throughout the entire ordeal. For once, I'm actually on top of things! :D

Now if you'll excuse me, I have loads and loads of video gaming to catch up on.

Validated for my little prizes. Sorta weird, though... my roughly 50,000 word document was 104 pages long, but Malice's was ninety? That's a pretty big gap. 0_o

Congrats to the others who finished, and better luck next year to those who didn't!

I won, with five minutes to spare! :D (and I am never going to make the mistake of procrastinating so much ever again)
Mine is only 80 pages, but I used Tab rather than double spacing (is that what it's called?). Last year's was 100 pages, though.

I think this is a good representation of how bad my pace was this month:
nanowrimo2008graphhy5.png

Heh. I wrote more today than I did for about a third of the month. The difference is that what I've written today has to be some of the worst quality stuff I've ever churned out.

I'm so glad I made it. It felt nowhere near this good last year. My dad gave me £5 too because I proved him wrong. :)

edit: something that's also pretty funny is that I stopped about a chapter short of where I was planning to put the quote I have in my sig, meaning that it will probably never be written

Back
Top Bottom