• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Obsessive Scribblers

And then Awards Night is when like, there's a few categories and people submit their artwork to win awards in these categories. Think like... the Oscars or something like that, OS-style.

Think like... the Oscars or something like that, OS-style.

the Oscars or something like that

Arylett, you are an unintentional genius. :D

...I so am. But you're an intentional genius for putting that together! They will now be called: "The First Annual OScars Awards Night" because I love long and elaborate names.

I'd been thinking about everyone choosing pages to redraw, but this sounds more fun (and easier :D)

Anyways, I got that profile page done, but uh, I kinda rushed it (both the base drawing and the photoshopping, for various reasons), so go easy on it D:

Ah! I gotta say I really do like how you did this, especially the coloring; it's got a nice, gradient, airbrushed sort of thing going about it that I think is pretty appealing, myself. The one thing I can really say is that, in the third panel-thing with the profile view, it sort of looks like the face is somewhat too short; it sort of makes his head look a bit squashed. |D;; But really, it's a good picture, so~! :3

...And uh. Ahahaha, I guess this all means I need to draw my persona soon, huh? |D; I'll get to that eventually! But for the time being I guess I should just put a little sketch up or something, haha.. Here! :D It's actually a character of one of my friends, not mine... and yeah, sketch on lined paper, but it was really just a school doodle, so...!

Also, aaaa, this thread's going by so fast.. @_@ I'm sure everything I say will likely be irrelevant by the time this is posted! *snort*

EDIT: Oh, and...!

...I so am. But you're an intentional genius for putting that together! They will now be called: "The First Annual OScars Awards Night" because I love long and elaborate names.

So do I, man; so do I~ |D And that name is genius!

Last edited:
...And uh. Ahahaha, I guess this all means I need to draw my persona soon, huh? |D; I'll get to that eventually! But for the time being I guess I should just put a little sketch up or something, haha.. Here! :D It's actually a character of one of my friends, not mine... and yeah, sketch on lined paper, but it was really just a school doodle, so...!
I love the way you've drawn her hair in this, it looks quite realistic~ Your anatomy is fantastic too! :)

I guess seeing as I'm a new member here, I'll need to post a ref of my sonas, right? So here's a really crappy one I put together in like 20 minutes because a friend of mine needed one-
Persona
Pokesona (an extremely stylised Skymin/Eevee)
Critiques on anatomy would be appreciated!

Hrm, well I guess I'll post my 'sonas... Whivit is my main sona, she can be drawn anthro as well. Anthony isn't so much a fursona... a representative character...? Sort of a muse. It's hard to explain. :v But I don't really consider Whivit to be a fursona anymore anyhow, so they both represent me equally. Draw whichever one you want. Oh and Anthony crossdressess.

Great Arceus, I really need to be on more often. Just quoting from the last few pages because I'm a lazy bum.

Wow, I was pretty terrible back then too. I mean [this] just aaargh. And I was always kinda proud of that for some reason, probably due to it being the first group picture I drew.

OH GOD DON'T LOOK AT MY OLD ART seriously. I was living my life thinking that I was awesome back in the days, then I saw some old grouppics lying in the bottom of my drawers and *sob*.

IDEAL It'd be cool to make the OS comic-story-thing into an group audiobook. I got the idea from all of the voice clips that were spinning around the early pages of the old thread.

I've actually been thinking about animating it, but have no idea what program to use. I don't have Flash, and I don't know how to use it either way, so...

But audiobooks are made of awesome and win. You have my support!

We could all narrate the bits that we're in or the bits we say. Providing of course that Spaekle/Linooney/Everyone else involved wants to and can. But if it's not, then having someone else read it is fine. Or how about people reading chapters at a time?

I'm actually planning for Spoon to not have any lines, since Spoon is a spoon, so she can narrate the not dialogue part. Which will be politically correct(?) as well, since she's the one who started this club anyway.

Although Kinova would get a ginormous speaking part...

Zora said:
...I'm also tempted to start coloring all the pages, but THAT'S JUST ME

Do iiiiiiit

I'd been thinking about everyone choosing pages to redraw, but this sounds more fun (and easier :D)

:D Why not both?

You've greatly improved, Ice! Especially the coloring -- I really love the shading on the face and neck in the largest picture. It looks realistic and really nice. The only problem you have is proportions though; the head seems a little too big compared to the rest of the body, and the ears in the bottom-left picture seem too big. Otherwise, it's great.

I guess seeing as I'm a new member here, I'll need to post a ref of my sonas, right? So here's a really crappy one I put together in like 20 minutes because a friend of mine needed one-
Persona

Anatomy... Not my strongest suit, but I'll try. The persona looks mostly fine; the body is proportional, as far as I can tell. The only problem, I think, is the face; the nose seems to be located too far to the right (but it's not bad enough to be bad, just a bit weird), and the eyes are pointing in different directions and look slightly awkward. The eye on our left is pointing up and to the left while the other eye is pointing straight ahead. Eyeballs generally point in the same direction, and I think it would look better if you tweak them a little.

And your pokesona is adorable~ I don't see anything wrong with it, so yay?

Arylett said:

AHahahaha AHAHAHA HAHA HAHA HA-*shot*

Ahem. Anyone remember where the handy link list went?

And, last but not least, welcome and well come, new members! I don't care how much Castform hates that phrase, because it is awesome and I like it so too bad.

I love the way you've drawn her hair in this, it looks quite realistic~ Your anatomy is fantastic too! :)

Persona

Aaaah! Thank you so much; it's nice to hear that~ ^^ I can't really say much for your Pokesona, since I honestly know next to nothing about animal anatomy.. ||OTL It's super-adorable, though! As for your persona, though, as far as anatomy goes it's not bad~ I will say that the breasts look a bit too high up, though, and the hands are a bit small; hands are the bane of many artists' lives, though, including mine, so it's no biggie XD She looks like she's plotting to do something evil with that axe!

Hrm, well I guess I'll post my 'sonas... Whivit is my main sona, she can be drawn anthro as well. Anthony isn't so much a fursona... a representative character...? Sort of a muse. It's hard to explain. :v But I don't really consider Whivit to be a fursona anymore anyhow, so they both represent me equally. Draw whichever one you want. Oh and Anthony crossdressess.

Ah, those look awesome! :3 I love the way you seem to draw animals, by the way; I think it's the style of it that almost reminds me of Disney..

Hm, anyway...! I said I'd post my persona, so here she is! http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae1/Loffyglu/Loffyref.png ...Yeah, got too lazy to color her in by the end of it. ||OTL So yeah. She's based on my own appearance, everything except for the outfit. :V

Hm, anyway...! I said I'd post my persona, so here she is! http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae1/Loffyglu/Loffyref.png ...Yeah, got too lazy to color her in by the end of it. ||OTL So yeah. She's based on my own appearance, everything except for the outfit. :V
black hair and blue eyes? you don't see many of them- *shot*
I think that your anatomy on this is pretty impressive on this. I think that the left hand actually looks okay and that there's something awkward about the right arm, but I can't put my finger on what it is so I can't really criticise it. You aught to add some colour to it but other than that it's a good drawing and a good reference and-

is that a pentagram necklace? D:

Also, after ages of not really doing any drawing, I've finally drawn something. It's Erufuun, the Happy Cotton Bud pokemon from Black and White. Can I have some criticism on it? I'm liking the style I've done it in and want to know if I should continue using it.
[SUPERKAWAII or something!]

black hair and blue eyes? you don't see many of them- *shot*
I think that your anatomy on this is pretty impressive on this. I think that the left hand actually looks okay and that there's something awkward about the right arm, but I can't put my finger on what it is so I can't really criticise it. You aught to add some colour to it but other than that it's a good drawing and a good reference and-

is that a pentagram necklace? D:

Also, after ages of not really doing any drawing, I've finally drawn something. It's Erufuun, the Happy Cotton Bud pokemon from Black and White. Can I have some criticism on it? I'm liking the style I've done it in and want to know if I should continue using it.
[SUPERKAWAII or something!]

Ahaha, my hair's dyed, actually... XD It's naturally brown, but since I dye it black in real life anyway..~

Thank you for the crits, by the way~ :3 I agree the right arm looks a little awkward, though; I guess it's just the way it's positioned, but I'll try to fix it if I ever get around to coloring this.

*snort* Yup, it's a pentagram necklace. |D

...FGSADSDDS AAWWWWWWW IT'S SO CUTE <33 I think you got the Pokemon style down pretty well, myself, and the coloring is pretty nice; only thing I can really suggest is, in the pencil sketch, maybe spreading the arms and legs out just a bit more if you want it to look more excited; it's totally cute, though! :D

That is the cutest sheep I have ever seen.

On an unrelated note, my Poké- and Halo-sonas are going well, I should be able to color and scan by the weekend

But my persona still sucks so...

It's very well proportioned, the folds are in all the right places, the hands are drawn great compared to most people(including myself), and the hair is drawn and shaded perfectly. The color choices go great, and the overall design of the outfit is really well done. :3

I think the right arm only looks awkward because if someone actually had their arm in that position and they were just standing there, it would look awkward. If you had the mouth open or something, as if explaining something, it might not look as awkward. The legs also look a little awkward. Like, the right leg looks like it's bent forward a little, but the foot is still flat on the ground. It makes that leg look slightly longer than the left leg.

And sorry Kai, but I can't see your pic because of the stupid blocker. I would imagine it looks great, though~ And should I put up my persona?

does this make up for my stupid art dump? :x

Uh, random question: What do most of you guys use to colour your drawings? Colouring is something I'm having a lot of problems with at the moment.

....You're Whivit under a different username? Whoa, I never would've guessed. Where'd you go all that time?

Uh, random question: What do most of you guys use to colour your drawings? Colouring is something I'm having a lot of problems with at the moment.

In real life, I use regular coloring pencils, like Crayola and such. Nothing to fancy. I usually go through differnent colored pencil brands to get lighter and darker shades of colors so I can do my shading. It's good to test it out first, though.

As for on the computer, I use Corel Painter Essentials 4, and I usually use the Fine Point Pen to color in and outline, while switching shades of colors and using the blending option.

....You're Whivit under a different username? Whoa, I never would've guessed. Where'd you go all that time?

For tradiotional or digital media? Traditional, go with prisma colours, but they're expensive. Regular coloured pencils work for me, but I don't colour traditionally much. For digital, corel painter is great, as is photoshop.

Also yeah, I'm Whivit. <<; I went uh, elsewhere on internet.

...FGSADSDDS AAWWWWWWW IT'S SO CUTE <33 I think you got the Pokemon style down pretty well, myself, and the coloring is pretty nice; only thing I can really suggest is, in the pencil sketch, maybe spreading the arms and legs out just a bit more if you want it to look more excited; it's totally cute, though! :D
As I said before, I didn't finish the pencil sketch because of the anatomy issues. I just threw it on the image since it was there. Thanks for the comment, though.

That is the cutest sheep I have ever seen.
That you. I assure you that it was intentional.

Well, for the [last] [two] drawings I've done, I've used my trusty [WHSmiths watercolour pencils] and I've gone back to using a [Uniball Eye fineliner] for outlining. Any sketchwork I do is with whatever HB pencil I can find at the time.

I don't know about traditional art, but I do all my digital colouring in Photoshop. The pen tool is fucking awesome and makes doing art with a mouse really damned easy.
I'm no good with tablets D:
...Speaking of which, I did a few doodles in a program called ArtRage during College yesterday, with a tablet. Okay, admittedly, I've used a tablet a little bit before, but I still haven't gotten to grips with it. Or the program
Also some annotated character concepts. A little lop-sided (I can generally fix this in Photoshop when I edit stuff though), and I know that neck is like, really big, but I didn't want to erase anything when the lesson was nearly over :C

Thanks for the responses. I've got a lot of stuff to try out now. I was always sorta curious at what exactly people use, because my own art supplies are kinda all over the place.

Also yeah, I'm Whivit. <<; I went uh, elsewhere on internet.
Well, I know you don't know me or anything, but I'm glad to see you back. I always enjoyed your posts.

I typically use whatever I can get my hands on at the moment. Generally for traditional art, I use colored pencils. The more colors in the box, the better.
For digital art, I use Photoshop. Usually the brush tool; 5px for the outlines because I like them thick, and 13px for coloring, then I shade using Dodge and Burn tools (19px 100% hardness, still trying to get the hang of this), combined where needed with a transparent white or black brush of the same size.

Hello everyone, since I am back on the forums I might as well join this again. You know you all missed me.

As far as colouring goes, I haven't used Photoshop is literal years ever since I discovered Paint Tool SAI, which is much better for drawing, I find. And it makes very pretty smooth lines. You can find a free trial by googling it or just download the full version off a torrent site or something. I got it from a friend.

Zora, to be honest I don't ever recommend shading with burn + dodge because it makes the colouring look extremely lumpy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom