• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Piracy- Your take on it

Solstice

Back from the dead.
Post here what you think of piracy. Do you pirate? Are you against it? Do you not give a crap? Discuss here.

My take on piracy... I am neutral about it. I don't pirate, or anything of the like. 3 of my friends are pirates, though. :/ So I'd guess I'd say I have nothing against it.

Should this be in Debate?

*Stops from singing "A Pirate's Life"*

In all seriousness I assume we are talking like pirating DVD's, or do you mean actual high seas swashbuckling?

On like pirating DVD's I think it's illegal, therefore wrong.

If you mean high seas swashbuckling pirates. I say aarrgh.

I try not to, but it's pretty much a necessity for me because:

1) DS games are freaking expensive here (I use an R4).
2) Not all CDs make it here.
3) Not all original-form DVDs make it here.

If I want this stuff, I don't have a choice, but I limit myself when it comes to this stuff. I would definitely prefer not to, but...

Like, uh... *squint*
Like rock-ground says, many things don't make it over here and there's no choice but to pirate if you want to experience it!

Oh, well, okay, not many but a few things I care about.
(That goes for music, games, and... well I don't really bother with television/movies anyway)

That said I've pirated a few things that were probably available. *scratches head* Maybe. For games I never felt too bad about it because past a certain date only the store (who sells stuff way overpriced ololol) would get any money from me, but hey, I guess it's still horrible and wrong...
A few years on I have a bit of a better appreciation for the industry and blah blah and I totally haven't pirated anything for ages that would have been available normally, or something.
And the music, gee, I never really... I mean the stuff... does it even come on CDs? I don't even know, I like, take things from youtube, and that's kinda like saving a bit of bandwidth, or something... if I actually tried to buy, let's saaay this? A better recording of that? Dude I don't know where to go! No way. And the other movements, absolutely no idea. I totally haven't seen them anywhere. (One of those pay-two-dollars-for-this-piece websites would be cool though, I mean I keep finding progressively worse recordings, but anyway --)
Makes me wonder if that copy of Sea Dogs my friend has is pirated...

On like pirating DVD's I think it's illegal, therefore wrong.

"It's illegal therefore it's wrong" is a very dangerous argument. Please come up with something better. :(

I'd totally download a car.

This. I download absolutely every kind of media and don't really shame myself for doing it at all. (Though I should get around to buying TWEWY, just to give them my money... And then give it away to someone else! :D)

I'm against pirating, because it's just robbery under a slightly nicer-sounding name.

If I couldn't download certain music, I wouldn't necessarily buy it. CD manufacturing companies and artists are losing nothing by my downloading.

I still buy the occasional physical CD, but mainly because I like having an album in my hands. If I hadn't already listened to this music previously, i.e. through downloading, I would not buy it. If this somehow makes me a terrible human being, so be it!

And that is my view on my piracing :o

Nothing x Over one billion people = something.

My point is that if I couldn't download, I wouldn't buy any CDs whatsoever because I don't have the money to keep buying music I'm not already very familiar with. If you're suggesting that all those one billion people download for the same reasons that I do, then... your argument doesn't really work!

Let me download, and I will keep on spending money on CDs.

I'm against pirating, because it's just robbery under a slightly nicer-sounding name.

No it isn't. Theft implies that I take something from someone, thus depriving them of it. I am not depriving anyone of anything by pirating.

Nothing x Over one billion people = something.

I do believe she meant literally nothing. I am reasonably sure 0 × 1,000,000,000 = 0.

I do believe she meant literally nothing. I am reasonably sure 0 × 1,000,000,000 = 0.

I apologize, I thought she meant nothing as in, "number so small it really wouldn't matter."

imo, every musician should take the In Rainbows approach to selling their albums. People are going to pirate your stuff regardless of how militant you are on the matter, so you might as well let them pay what they want.

I see it this way: If I pirate it I wasn't going to pay for it anyway. The things I pirate are things I sort of want but wouldn't ever, ever pay for. I pay for some stuff, like how I just bought a PS3 and FFXIII, or how I own all the Buffy seasons on DVD or like how I've got Battlestar Galactica on blu-ray, but I pirate everything else.

imo, every musician should take the In Rainbows approach to selling their albums. People are going to pirate your stuff regardless of how militant you are on the matter, so you might as well let them pay what they want.

I agree. Amanda Palmer's been doing it for ages (well, she sets a minimum price to cover her costs, which is less than a dollar) and she's doing excellently indeed. Loads of people used to cite the statistic that artists make far more money from live shows than from CDs, and I think this only goes to prove it.

(Amanda Palmer also isn't on a label, so anything you pay above that minimum price goes directly to her, which also strikes me as a much better arrangement. A large part of the reason I don't give a damn about music piracy is because labels generally do not need more money.)

Back
Top Bottom