• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokémon Registration Office

Re: Pokémon Registration Office

Jaws [Magikarp] (M) Swift Swim

Signature Attribute: Big Teeth

Jaws is a very special Magikarp with a strange appetite. When he was young, he swallowed a Bag of Holding. Because of this, he can summon giant jaws that shoot out of his mouth.

Effects: Whenever he is told to, Jaws can summon giant jaws that shoot out of his mouth. The jaws are three times longer than him and twice as wide. Because of his jaws, Jaws gains access to the following moves: Fire Fang, Ice Fang, Thunder Fang, Poison Fang, Super Fang, Hyper Fang, Bite, Crunch.

Suggestion-- add a huge energy loss every time the jaws shoot out of its mouth.

And ditch Thunder Fang. Roast Magikarp tastes terrible.

Accelgor (Female) <Hydration>

[Cherufe] Slugma (Male) <Flame Body>
Signature Attribute: Toxic Body

Most Slugma have lineages that are generally balanced, although they tend to contain many Slugma and Magcargo of course. This means that they tend to hatch made of lava. Cherufe, on the other hand, has a family tree that contains pretty much only the Slugma and Magcargo needed to cause him to be born the same species. Pretty much the entire test of his lineage is composed of poison-types: Grimer, Muk, Koffing, Weezing, Gulpin, and Swalot can all be found there in fairly large quantities, a couple of generations back you can find Trubbish, Garbodor, Roselia, and Roserade; if you go back far enough you can even find a variety of grass-poison types, like Victreebel, Venusaur and Amoonguss. All this has had an effect on him: instead of lava, he's made of foul, viscous poison. This, obviously, has a few effects on his battle performance.

Effects: Instead of fire-type, he is a poison-type, with all the weaknesses and resistances this offers. He also loses several of his fire-type moves, instead knowing their poison-type equivalents. Because his body is similar in composition to Grimer and Muk, he can access their ability to use Acid Armor to blend in with sludge or poisonous pools. Finally, he loses his Flame Body ability, but instead, all contact moves involving him (that is to say, attacks that he makes or the opponent makes on him) have a 15% chance of mildly poisoning the opponent. This effect can stack, up until it reaches severe poisoning.

Moves lost: Ember, Flame Burst, Lava Plume, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Flame Charge, Overheat, Incinerate, Will-O-Wisp, Inferno, Heat Wave
Moves gained: Acid Spray, Venoshock, Sludge Wave, Gunk Shot, Clear Smog, Acid, Poison Gas, Sludge Bomb, Sludge, Smog, Poison Sting, Toxic Spikes

You need to add acid armor to the list of moves gained for clarity's sake.

I was bored. I've had a cold for the past few days. When I'm sick I get bored. When I get bored I do stuff like this.

[Saliasteio] Minccino (M)
Ability: Technician
Signature Attribute: Appletastic!

Once, when Saliasteio was a little boy, he had an apple. Yes. He had an apple. No. I'm not going to repeat it again.
And he liked it. He liked it very much. As a matter of fact, he liked it so much that he had another apple. And than another. And than another. And than he decided that he would just pick a bunch and snack on them constantly for all eternity. And so he did. And so. He. Did.

Saliasteio is always holding an apple. When he finishes it, he gets another one. From hammerspace. Where else.
The apple counts as a hold item, and conveys the combined effects of Leftovers and a King's Rock. (It really hurts to be hit by an apple. Believe me. I know.) However, every round his apple has a 5% chance to be an Smushie Apple, which prevents the aforementioned effects for one round and causes his energy to decrease by 5%.
If he's holding an item when sent into battle, or his apple is removed by Knock Off, Switcheroo, Embargo, or another move that removes or replaces held items, he goes into APPLE FURY!, during which he does 1% more damage and spends 1% more energy, after all other calculations are done. However, every round he has a 5% chance to go cry in a corner over the sadful sadness of losing his apple.

Yeah. It's ridiculous. Hurrah.

Getting things from hammerspace in mid-battle is generally frowned upon if any other explanation can be given at all. It would be more acceptable to say that he brought a (finite, but still reasonably large) supply of apples with him and set it down somewhere within reach.

How long does it take him to finish the apple? Leftovers technically last for the duration of the pokémon's time in battle, so in that scenario it's not likely that a full apple would be finished in the space of one battle at all. And if he's able to get apples from hammerspace/get one from the pile, why doesn't he do that when he loses his apple? If he does, when? It sounds like "apple fury" isn't supposed to last indefinitely, so if he doesn't get an apple back then when is it supposed to end?

At this stage of evolution I'm going to say no to the king's rock effect, because hard or not an apple is not as hard as a special pointy rock (and if he is actually eating this apple, then a half-eaten one is hardly going to hurt as much as a whole one); the chance of the apple being smushie (and again, how does that come into play with regards to whether or not he's finishing the apples?) should also go up to 10%.

[Mushroom] Paras (F) <Effect Spore>

Signature Attrribute: Tropical Subspecies

Mushroom was born and raised, Valencia Island is where she spent most of her days, chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool. Even shooting some b-ball outside of the school.

That's right Mushroom originates from the Orange Islands, and as such, she like the other Pokemon that live in the Orange Islands, have
adapted to the different climate.

Mushroom is much more used to the sun and warmer weather, and so these can affect her a little differently.

Effects: When Sunny Day is considered to be in effect, Mushroom has her Attack and Special Attack boosted by 1, due to her adaptions to work better in the warm sun. Also, due the climate of her birthplace, she is a tad more resistant to heat, and as such, takes 1% less damage from all Fire-type attacks. However, she is much more affected by the cold, and all Ice-type moves deal an extra 1% damage against her, and she also recieves -1 in both Attack and Special Attack when Hail is considered to be in effect.

Approved.

Cocoa [Cyndaquil] ♀
Blaze

Signature Attribute: Chocolatey Goodness

Cocoa is, as her on-the-nose name implies, a huge fan of cookies. Further evidence includes her rotundity as well as the giant cookies with holes in them that she wears on her back. Whether they be chocolate chip (her favorite) or full metal (discontinued, due to several dental complaints), Cocoa is a friend to everything chewy, moist, and filled with lots of sugar. This has led to two things: One, Cocoa is rather plump for a cyndaquil, and two, she hatched a convoluted scheme to get her life smelling as much like her favorite treat as possible.

At her request, her trainer whipped up a batch of chemicals in his chemistry set from when he was five; when loaded into the gigantic fake cookies on her back, the mixture begins to evaporate and gives her the faint, constant scent of baking chocolate chip cookies. When the fire on her back flares through the big cookies, the chemicals react instantly with the combustion and produce an intense aroma of slightly-burnt cookies that covers the area, covering up any other smells and making her very, very happy.

Effects
: Cocoa constantly smells of baking chocolate-chip cookies. Furthermore, when she lights her back on fire (while executing a move or when ordered to do so at the cost of 2% energy per round), the cyndaquil emits a much stronger scent that has a wide range of effects. Odor Sleuth automatically targets her and only her when used, due to the fantastically overpowering scent that wafts from her. All opponent pokémon are put under the effects of a Sweet Scent attack, and abilities or attacks like Stench are completely neutralized. Making contact with her while she is flaming has a 30% chance of causing the next attack performed to fail as the attacker is caught up in the wonderful smell. Pokémon species that can at some point in their evolution have Gluttony as an ability have a 50% chance of this happening instead.

What does "at the cost of 2% energy per round" mean? Is turning up her flames supposed to be a constant upkeep thing, do you mean 2% per activation, or what?

What defines an "attack like stench"? I much prefer to see concrete lists of affected moves. If the list you're considering is too lengthy (this also goes for abilities) then I'll probably ask you to tone that down or get rid of that and just stick with the sweet scent thing until she evolves. Can't say until I know exactly what you mean, though.

I would also feel a little better if that 30% chance of effective flinch were a tad lower, like maybe 25%, and the gluttony clause maybe down to 40%. I realize that that's not a terribly common situation and they can just attempt to avoid contact in the first place, so maybe I'm just paranoid, but those numbers seem a little high for a cyndaquil.

[Conkussion] Timburr (F)
Ability: Guts
Signature Attribute: Courage

Most Timburr get enraged when they get a Burn or are Poisoned, but not Conkussion! Conkussion has the ability to both use the thermal energy otherwise causing damage when burnt to attacking power. She can also convert the toxins into an elixer to restore her energy. Conkussion also takes no damage from status effects.

Effect: No damage is taken from Burn or Poison, and beneficial effects are added.
  • Burn All physical attacks do 5% more damage as longs as Conkussion is Burned.
  • Poison Restores 5% energy to Conkussion every turn she is Poisoned

As the others have said, this is ridiculous without some sort of drawback to compensate (and this would need a pretty damn hefty one considering what it does). You can't just make an attribute that completely negates the negative effects of status and makes guts even better than it already was. Purely positive attributes with no drawbacks have incredibly tiny, almost inconsequential effects, or at least only appear on fully-evolved pokémon. Look at other approved attributes and see what their creators did to balance them out.

[Machina] Golett X (No Guard)

Signature Attribute: Haunted Clay

As we all know, Golett are little automotons that are alive thanks to the burning energy of their souls. Machina is no exception, but he's a tad different from all the other Goletts.

In a practice battle with Youngster Joey, Machina was ordered by his trainer to create a Substitute to protect against a barrage of String Shots. Machina did so, and at first nothing out of the ordinary occurred; the clone jumped in front of all of the string.

The odd thing was that as the string covered the Substitute's body, it appeared to get... slower. As the round ended, Kam pondered to himself why the Substitute was affected by the attacks.

The clone then turned to him and asked why he wasn't being given any commands that action.

~~~

Effects: When Machina uses Substitute, the effects of the attack are rather... different.

First of all, it takes him an additional 3% energy to summon a Substitute.

Instead of summoning a body double, Machina instead summons a combat drone (we'll call him Jason).

After the end of the round he is created, he will be treated like a regular Golett. He is not immune to poisoning, burns, stat-boosts/lowerings, or anything else that he would be immune to as a substitute. Opponent attacks will still target Jason before Machina, and he can still be destroyed if he takes enough damage.

Jason can do anything he wants free of energy, but at the end of the round his life force will drain away and he will crumble apart into a pile of bricks. (Jason!!! D:)

~~~

This is balanced because Substitute is a very useful move. And Golett can't learn Explosion, so no suicide bombers. (Although... why would anyone command Jason to explode?)

So by "after the end of the round he is created", you mean to imply that it's a regular substitute up until that point? And then the clause about Jason disintegrating applies to the following round, right? So in effect, you're saying it can't last more than two rounds. I just want to be sure I know which rounds you're referring to with this, because it may change my mind ever-so-slightly about the paragraph below.

Anyway, needs more definition in regards to how this thing attacks. Low health and free round or no, if you can get into a situation where the opponent can't destroy the sub fast enough (which is not that hard), you can start firing off as many as six insanely powerful/advantageous attacks for the cost of three and change, which is not gonna fly. Give Jason energy or put some sort of cap on its ability to attack/use powerful moves, or maybe make it so that you can't control the moves he uses and the ref randomizes them. That or spike the initial additional energy cost way up.

Is Machina no longer able to create regular, "inanimate" substitutes at all?

Jaws is a very special Magikarp with a strange appetite. When he was young, he swallowed a Bag of Holding. Because of this, he can summon giant jaws that shoot out of his mouth.

Effects: Whenever he is told to, Jaws can summon giant jaws that shoot out of his mouth. The jaws are three times longer than him and twice as wide. Because of his jaws, Jaws gains access to the following moves: Fire Fang, Ice Fang, Thunder Fang, Poison Fang, Super Fang, Hyper Fang, Bite, Crunch.

You can't just gain that many moves for free, even for a magikarp; there needs to be some sort of tradeoff, whether that's in moves lost or something else. Also, bags of holding do not just magically exist in ASB. You'll need a much more logical explanation for this than a hammerspace bag from an entirely different game.

Also, I'm not a move approver so I can't really say anything about "Justin Beaver" up there, but you need to remember to list the pokémon's species along with everything else. Pun aside, you can't always expect the staff to know what you're talking about or know what's on your team.

Last edited:

Jaws is a very special Magikarp with a strange appetite. When he was young, he swallowed a Bag of Holding containing a strange creature. Because of this, he can summon giant jaws that shoot out of his mouth.

Effects: Whenever he is told to, Jaws can summon giant jaws that shoot out of his mouth. The jaws are three times longer than him and twice as wide. During the battle, Jaws can be told to use something called a tooth attack, in which he summons the creature's jaws to use a random one of these moves at double the energy cost. Fire Fang, Ice Fang, Thunder Fang, Poison Fang, Super Fang, Hyper Fang, Bite, Crunch.

Fixed so it is more balanced.

Jaws is a very special Magikarp with a strange appetite. When he was young, he swallowed a Bag of Holding containing a strange creature. Because of this, he can summon giant jaws that shoot out of his mouth.

Effects: Whenever he is told to, Jaws can summon giant jaws that shoot out of his mouth. The jaws are three times longer than him and twice as wide. During the battle, Jaws can be told to use something called a tooth attack, in which he summons the creature's jaws to use a random one of these moves at double the energy cost. Fire Fang, Ice Fang, Thunder Fang, Poison Fang, Super Fang, Hyper Fang, Bite, Crunch.

Fixed so it is more balanced.

That's better, but I also said no bag of holding. You're better off just saying that he's some special breed of magikarp that managed to evolve some scary teeth (teeth that would logically fit in his mouth, to be specific).

But the bag of holding is the only way I can make sense of him having a giant monster in his mouth. Also, Atlas and P-Body would like to have a word with you.

I just woke up and I'm not feeling particularly snarky, so I'm just going to stop talking now.

Once, when Saliasteio was a little boy, he had an apple. Yes. He had an apple. No. I'm not going to repeat it again.
And he liked it. He liked it very much. As a matter of fact, he liked it so much that he had another apple. And than another. And than another. And than he decided that he would just pick a bunch and snack on them constantly for all eternity. And so he did. And so. He. Did.

Saliasteio is always holding an apple. When he finishes it, he gets another one. From hammerspace a pile at the edge of the arena that doesn't effect anything else in any way, ever.
The apple counts as a held item, and conveys the effects of Leftovers. However, at the beginning of every round, when he's getting a new apple, (He eats his apples really fast) his apple has a 10% chance to be an Smushie Apple, which prevents the aforementioned effect for one round and causes his energy to decrease by 5%.
If he's holding an item when sent into battle, or his apple is removed by Knock Off, Switcheroo, Embargo, or another move that removes or replaces held items, he goes into APPLE FURY!, during which he does 1% more damage and spends 1% more energy, after all other calculations are done. However, every action he has a 5% chance to go cry in a corner over the sadful sadness of losing his apple. (If his item was removed, but not replaced, he gets his apple back at the end of the round.)

Edited Conkussion's Attribute to be less...broken.

[Conkussion] Timburr (F)
Signature Attribute: Beta Allele

Conkussion's genes were altered when she was exposed to very powerful beta waves from an overpowered Alakazam as an egg. Therefore, her cells mutated to have the ability to, one, use the thermal energy otherwise causing damage when burned to attacking power, at the cost of some of her energy, and two, convert the toxins when poisoned into an elixer to restore her energy, at the cost of her health. Conkussion also takes no damage from status effects.

Bad things came from the egg mutation, too: when Paralyzed, Conkussion's nerve cells freeze up due to the absence of a certain gene, and her moves do less damage. She also has more of a chance of not being able to move.

Effect:
  • Burn All physical attacks do 2% more damage, at the cost of 1% energy per action, as longs as Conkussion is Burned, and no damage is taken from a burn.
  • Poison Restores 2% energy to Conkussion every turn she is Poisoned, at the cost of 1% health each round.
  • Paralyzed All attacks do 2% less damage, and there is a 50% chance that she will not be able to move instead of 25%.

Last edited:

But the bag of holding is the only way I can make sense of him having a giant monster in his mouth. Also, Atlas and P-Body would like to have a word with you.

And? I'm not the one who approved those, and I don't really remember what they do; either they're slightly more realistic than this is or I would probably disagree with the approval. If Negrek or another approver wants to come in here and tell me I'm being too harsh then whatever, but as far as I'm concerned it takes some pretty exceptional circumstances or an otherwise really sound description to make any sort of hammerspace okay (especially since I'm fairly sure bags of holding are not indestructible and the bag would probably be digested by now anyway).

And if you want some sort of monster specifically then you need to be clear and mention that. As-is, I'd just assumed that these were some sort of artificial jaws coming out of his mouth. If the monster specifically has something to do with it then describe it, or else take the more logical out I offered you.

And since I forgot to mention this before, no fire fang or thunder fang, at least not unless you can really convince me on this "monster" thing and said monster has a reason to be able to use those when no water-types can.

Slugma... already gets Acid Armor? By breeding. He just gets to melt into sludge with it.

So it does. It just threw me off because you called it out specifically (also I'm not Negrek, if you want someone who remembers minutiae about slugma then go bother her ;-;). In that case:

[Cherufe] Slugma (Male) <Flame Body>
Signature Attribute: Toxic Body

Most Slugma have lineages that are generally balanced, although they tend to contain many Slugma and Magcargo of course. This means that they tend to hatch made of lava. Cherufe, on the other hand, has a family tree that contains pretty much only the Slugma and Magcargo needed to cause him to be born the same species. Pretty much the entire test of his lineage is composed of poison-types: Grimer, Muk, Koffing, Weezing, Gulpin, and Swalot can all be found there in fairly large quantities, a couple of generations back you can find Trubbish, Garbodor, Roselia, and Roserade; if you go back far enough you can even find a variety of grass-poison types, like Victreebel, Venusaur and Amoonguss. All this has had an effect on him: instead of lava, he's made of foul, viscous poison. This, obviously, has a few effects on his battle performance.

Effects: Instead of fire-type, he is a poison-type, with all the weaknesses and resistances this offers. He also loses several of his fire-type moves, instead knowing their poison-type equivalents. Because his body is similar in composition to Grimer and Muk, he can access their ability to use Acid Armor to blend in with sludge or poisonous pools. Finally, he loses his Flame Body ability, but instead, all contact moves involving him (that is to say, attacks that he makes or the opponent makes on him) have a 15% chance of mildly poisoning the opponent. This effect can stack, up until it reaches severe poisoning.

Moves lost: Ember, Flame Burst, Lava Plume, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Flame Charge, Overheat, Incinerate, Will-O-Wisp, Inferno, Heat Wave
Moves gained: Acid Spray, Venoshock, Sludge Wave, Gunk Shot, Clear Smog, Acid, Poison Gas, Sludge Bomb, Sludge, Smog, Poison Sting, Toxic Spikes

Approved.

I just woke up and I'm not feeling particularly snarky, so I'm just going to stop talking now.

Saliasteio is always holding an apple. When he finishes it, he gets another one. From hammerspace a pile at the edge of the arena that doesn't effect anything else in any way, ever.
The apple counts as a held item, and conveys the effects of Leftovers. However, at the beginning of every round, when he's getting a new apple, (He eats his apples really fast) his apple has a 10% chance to be an Smushie Apple, which prevents the aforementioned effect for one round and causes his energy to decrease by 5%.
If he's holding an item when sent into battle, or his apple is removed by Knock Off, Switcheroo, Embargo, or another move that removes or replaces held items, he goes into APPLE FURY!, during which he does 1% more damage and spends 1% more energy, after all other calculations are done. However, every action he has a 5% chance to go cry in a corner over the sadful sadness of losing his apple. (If his item was removed, but not replaced, he gets his apple back at the end of the round.)

Better. Approved.

Edited Conkussion's Attribute to be less...broken.

[Conkussion] Timburr (F)
Signature Attribute: Beta Allele

Conkussion's genes were altered when she was exposed to very powerful beta waves from an overpowered Alakazam, therefore, her cells have the ability to, one, use the thermal energy otherwise causing damage when burned to attacking power, at the cost of some of her energy, and two, convert the toxins when poisoned into an elixer to restore her energy, at the cost of her health. Conkussion also takes no damage from status effects.

Bad things come from mutations, too: when Paralyzed, Conkussion's nerve cells freeze up due to the absence of a gene, and her moves do less damage. She has more of a chance of not being able to move.

Effect:
  • Burn All physical attacks do 5% more damage, at the cost of 2% energy per turn, as longs as Conkussion is Burned, and no damage is taken from a burn.
  • Poison Restores 5% energy to Conkussion every turn she is Poisoned, at the cost of 2% health each turn.
  • Paralyzed All attacks do 5% less damage, and there is a 50% chance that she will not be able to move instead of 25%.

More balanced, but you shouldn't be using the word "turn" to refer to units of time here. You want either "action" or "round"; in the case of burn it looks like you mean action, whereas round sounds more logical for poison (5% energy per action is too much even with the damage to compensate).

5% more damage when burned is still a bit much on top of the guts boost; make it either 3% damage (and specify that that damage comes after all other calculations) for 2% energy or 2% damage for 1% energy.

[Skywing] Starly (m)
Ability: Keen Eye
Signature Move: Vacuum Pump

Skywing spent many years under the care of Fire Fighter Dave, of the Johto region. This man, unlike traditional fire fighters, forsook Water Pokemon (water actually being a very inefficient way of putting out fires) and instead worked with Flying Pokemon.

Learning that fires need Oxygen to burn, and thus could not exist in a vacuum, Dave taught a variety of Flying Pokémon a very dangerous and controversial move; Vacuum Pump. By flapping their wings at incredible speed, these Flying Pokémon could literally suck the air from a fire, killing it instantly. This move, however, was greatly taxing on the Pokémon, using it actually put them in pain and exhausted them greatly.

Dave was forced to release his Pokémon under grounds of cruelty, but Skywing never forgot the move. He knows how effective it is in battle, because not only can he defeat all forms of fire attacks with this move, but by removing the oxygen from a foe's Pokémon's immediate area, it becomes much harder for them to attack, or even move.

Type:Flying
Stat:This move deals no damage.
Base Damage:This move deals no damage.
Accuracy:100%
Target:One Pokemon (or many, if they are close together).
Energy:This move uses up all of Skywings' remaining energy bar 1.
Duration:One attack
Effects:Vacuum Pump nullifies any Special fire moves that are used against Skywing immediately before the move is used. It also greatly increases the energy the target must use, doubling the amount. Skywing looses all his energy except for 1 point, meaning that no matter his energy, it will always be reduced to 1 upon using this move. Because of the great strain this move has, Skywing looses 5% health.
Use Gap:This move cannot be used twice in one battle.

[Blueblade] Piplup (m)
Ability: Torrent
Signature Move: Water Wall
Type:Water
Stat/Base Damage:This move deals no damage.
Accuracy:---
Target:Self-possibly team mates.
Energy:20%
Duration:Five turns
Effects: Blueblade (and any team mate within three feet of the body of water) are protected by the Water Wall. Thus, they gain a Defense and Special Defense bonus of +2. However, the wall reduces their Attack and Special Attack by -1.

Okay, Kratos, I fixed it. Please approve.

Behold!

Sorry about the triple post, my internet sometimes wigs out...

Last edited:

Seriously, a triple post?

Jaws is a very special Magikarp with a strange appetite. When he was young, he swallowed a Bag of Holding containing a strange creature from another dimension. It stuck to the roof of his mouth, and because of this he can summon giant jaws that shoot out of his mouth.

I just think the Bag of Holding makes sense. I'm not pulling anything out of it but some teeth, and how else could you fit something that big into a Magikarp?

So it does. It just threw me off because you called it out specifically (also I'm not Negrek, if you want someone who remembers minutiae about slugma then go bother her ;-;). In that case:

I called it out specifically because normally only Grimer and Muk can do that, and I wanted Cherufe to be able to do that too.

But thanks!

Back
Top Bottom