• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

Step 7 of the Damage and Energy Guide says to only round when all calculations have been finished, while Step 4 (EXP modifiers) says to round down right away once the amount of experience a Pokemon has gained has been divided by 4. I have not been rounding the boost I get after step 4, but I'm wondering what the proper method is.
As mentioned, it's the bonus that has to be rounded down at step 4, before being applied, rather than the damage total itself. That... might have become unclear due to various recent changes in the official damage formula, so I'll set aside time later to see if it might have to be rewritten to be clearer.

Why does Black Sludge apparently not damage Steel-types in ASB when it does in the games?
Because Negrek said so, as far as I can tell.

If Pokémon A uses Attract on Pokémon B, can Pokémon B attack Pokémon C without chance of failure?
Nope. This would most likely be explained by Pokémon A being too dazzled by Pokémon B to focus on the battle at all.

Helping Hand's energy cost is listed as variable, but there's no indication of how it's calculated in the database or in D&E.

Do never-miss attacks hit Flying/Digging/ect. Pokemon? I think I've seen a Swift travel through a tunnel made by Dig, but it's a bit hazy.

Sooo, a while ago we discussed making it so that a Pokémon can't drop an item that's been Tricked/Switcheroo'd/Bestowed upon it for a certain number of actions after. Can we make an actual official ruling on that?

I'd say at least a full round (or three actions, in case of not first action) like if you get it action 1 round one you can;t drop till at least action one round 2

Adaptability's same-type STAB boost obviously applies only to damaging attacks, but does its extra energy cost for off-type attacks also apply only to damaging attacks, or does it apply to all moves that are off-type?

Adaptability's same-type STAB boost obviously applies only to damaging attacks, but does its extra energy cost for off-type attacks also apply only to damaging attacks, or does it apply to all moves that are off-type?

I believe it applies to non-damaging moves as well.

Would Foresight/Odor Sleuth/Miracle Eye get rid of the evasion boost from abilities like Sand Veil and Snow Cloak?

Would Foresight/Odor Sleuth/Miracle Eye get rid of the evasion boost from abilities like Sand Veil and Snow Cloak?

In game I am pretty sure it does not. However, I wouldn't be opposed to letting it do so in ASB since it does make a lot of flavor sense.

In writing my next reffing, I have just realized that I have almost certainly been heavily miscalculating two-action Dig by charging the base energy cost (4%) upon digging down and then the base energy cost plus any other factors upon striking with the attack.

This would make two-action Dig come out as a bit more expensive than the one-action version (4% then 4% + other factors versus 4% + 3% + other factors), but I'm pretty sure the 3% surcharge on the one-action version is a penalty and thus is meant to make one-action Dig more expensive.

What is the proper way of charging energy for two-action Dig? The plausible options I thought of are (1) calculate the total cost of Dig (4% + other factors) and divide it evenly between the two actions, or (2) charge something small like 1% to dig down and subtract that small fee from the total cost when the Dig user eventually attacks. But I'm not sure which of those options I should go with, or if there's a third option that's preferred. Or if it doesn't matter and it's just ref preference. Guidance, please?

In writing my next reffing, I have just realized that I have almost certainly been heavily miscalculating two-action Dig by charging the base energy cost (4%) upon digging down and then the base energy cost plus any other factors upon striking with the attack.

This would make two-action Dig come out as a bit more expensive than the one-action version (4% then 4% + other factors versus 4% + 3% + other factors), but I'm pretty sure the 3% surcharge on the one-action version is a penalty and thus is meant to make one-action Dig more expensive.

What is the proper way of charging energy for two-action Dig? The plausible options I thought of are (1) calculate the total cost of Dig (4% + other factors) and divide it evenly between the two actions, or (2) charge something small like 1% to dig down and subtract that small fee from the total cost when the Dig user eventually attacks. But I'm not sure which of those options I should go with, or if there's a third option that's preferred. Or if it doesn't matter and it's just ref preference. Guidance, please?

The first is what is commonly used. Honestly, I think two-action Dig, Fly, and Dive are pretty undercharged; unlike other charging moves, two-action Dig has a pretty big benefit to it. Also, really, the digging down the first action doesn't really play a part in the actual attack with the 80 BP that determines the energy cost in the first place. I've been thinking of charging something like 2% to dig down and the regular cost to dig back up.

I don't know if this has been asked before, but how many battles are we allowed to have going at once? Like, can we take a challenge if we're already in a battle with someone else too?

Back
Top Bottom