• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Random Scribblings 3

Aaaah, I said I'd update this regularly and I HAVE NOT. In my defence, it's more to do with me not having a scanner than me not drawing. I've been drawing lots, but it's mostly on the same theme...

Remember these guys?
Probably, since you had to scroll past some pictures of them on this very page. I've been drawing them lots. Also, I've become addicted to the joy that is good-quality markers - my brilliant friend has a decent-sized collection of them and is lovely enough to let me use them. One day I'll have money and will buy my own. Until then!

Back to plain ol' pen and pencil. And abseiling and intelligence gathering. I honestly can't remember what I was watching while drawing this, but it must've been good.

Experimenting with poses. Cats are the only animal of the three I have any experience drawing at all (my knowledge of camel (or the front half of a camel, at least) anatomy is so laughable), and even Miss Kitty needs practice.

Pirates. Obviously. You might notice that drawing water with these markers isn't my strong point. Or understanding how ships work. I wish I had an excuse for this, but I live in a fishing town and can see boats from my house.

Astronauts! I know Helen's missing, but I tried and I tried and I tried, but drawing a half-camel in a space suit is so hard. Anyways, she probably wouldn't lik being out in space - she doesn't like big, open spaces with same-y scenery, it makes her dizzy. She doesn't like the desert for this reason. Which is hard if you're a (half-)camel.

Miss Kitty with her owners. I would like to say here and now that I was a little drunk while drawing this one (I go to parties and sit in a corner drawing because that's how I roll), which somewhat explains my confusion around drawing human faces. And bodies in general.

DINOSAURS. I'm not sure if I've expressed my love of dinosaurs here before, but just for the record - I love them :D
This is Foucault the diplodocus. He's got a whole bunch of dinosaur friends (not pictured here) and they're all named after postmodernists.
Look! An almost-background!

And now, coloured fineliners. And trips to the beach. The dolphin (who is currently unnamed, but I'm working on that) isn't the strongest swimmer, but he tries hard.

Fun with electronics. Note that Miss Kitty is left-handed :D
(if you were wondering, Miss Kitty is playing WarioWare on the Wii, Professor Layton on the DS, is listening to U2 on her MP3 player (she dislikes Apple and refuses to won an iPod) and UnnamedDolphin is playing Burnout3 on the PS2.)

More pirates! :D I love drawing things on a pirate theme, there's just so many accessories and stuff to give them XD I like the dolphin's tattoo best, I think.
And an Aang!dolphin. To celebrate the announcement of Legend of Korra :DDDD

I do actually have a couple of non-Miss Kitty pictures and I'll post them in a bit - and I really, really need to actually do some requests. Apologies for taking so long, and thanks so, so much for all the lovely comments :)

Last edited:
I think your human faces and bodies look fine, as does the boat and water. It's simple and cute.
Heck, all of your drawings on this page seem flipping adorable. The colors are great, too.
yay another original avatar fan

Awww...those pictures are ADORABLE. You could definitely make some sort of children's show or something. :D

Hee, THANK YOU GUYS :D I hope I'm improving. I'm still getting used to using markers (I bought some of my own and am now completely penniless, huzzah!), so I'm focusing on that at the moment, but I think it's going well.

Willow and Tara, obvs.

More Miss Kitty:

I dunno if any of your guys are watching the BBC's new adaptation of Sherlock Holmes, Sherlock? If not, you're missing out because it's the BEST THING EVER. It managed to inspire lots of Sherlock-themed MKF pictures, even though it's set in the modern day and therefore has no deestalker caps/pipes/etc.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk117/dannishoe/picturesetc017.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk117/dannishoe/picturesetc014.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk117/dannishoe/picturesetc013.jpg

Artist/Surgeon? Why not?

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk117/dannishoe/picturesetc010.jpg

Miss Kitty with a topmiler. A topmiler being the equipment needed for the fictional sport, Guyball, played in the crackiest TV show ever, Green Wing.

DOCTOR WHO (ahaha look at my attempts at straight lines! XD)

HARRY POTTER

Sherlock-related:

You know a show's good when I love it so much I start drawing males. Not very good ones, but still.
These are inspired by the video of Benedict Cumberbatch (who plays the lead in Sherlock and also has the greatest name ever, Y/Y?) reading the kid's book The Little Red Hen on the Ladybird site. It's far too adorable.

I might draw some pictures that are *actually* Sherlock-related later, but for now, have these products of my cracky imagination:

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk117/dannishoe/picturesetc021.jpg

And this one on twitpic.

Last edited:
I know I've told you this already, but the yellow highlights from the lamp in the last picture really make the whole thing, for me. It's the details. :P

Miss Kitty & pals are cuties, as always. She's quite the jack-of-all-trades! I think probably my favorite of all of the MKF pictures is the Harry Potter one. They're all looking out at me, and they're in different houses with their scarves and gah. So cute. I especially like the dolphin's scarf, how it's draped around. And you ARE getting pretty good with those markers, as evidenced my Miss Kitty's varied and sundry color patches and shading, and the shading on the blanket of that last picture. Good work. :3

Sometime if you're feeling up to it, I'd love to see you take another shot at realism, I don't know if you have in a while..?

I'm going to be lazy and only comment on the most recent artwork.

Willow and Tara look absolutely adorable. Their hands look very wonderful; they have a cartoony vibe to them without mysteriously loosing a finger. Both of their faces have the dot-eyes going for them, which I personally prefer over ridiculously large eyes on chibis. However, both of their torsoes seem a bit too short. The red head (I don't know which one's which D:) seems to be lacking shoulders, though. As always the coloring is fantastic as is the color choice.

Miss Kitty looks really cute, and I love her pose. Unfortunately, her magnifying glass isn't quite round. Since it's glass, the area that's enlarged, should have a whiter color to it and might benefit from a light-glare or two. Also, cats have four individual sections on their paws (and a dewclaw), not three, like almost every cartoon would like you to think. I really like how Miss Kitty fades, too. As cute as her mouth is, it seems to be mysteriously lacking teeth, which might be a future problem for Miss Kitty. >:

Miss Kitty's cap looks excellent with its wondrous shape and criss-cross lines. I already mentioned the whole cat-paws thing, so that's been covered. However, on her right paw (our left) I can't really tell which side it's facing. Miss Kitty also seems to be mysteriously lacking teeth, which might be a future problem for her. The random Pikachu is also cute and I really like how you've drawn its tail...

Every time I come here, I forget how good you are and prepare my smug face.
Everything is so adorableeeeeeee and the second in the new fire starter line so totally doesn't look like a penis

Sherlock! <3 Series was miles too short, but it was superb.

I love Miss Kitty's ponderous expression in the 'Three Pipe Problem' picture; the hat is a little wonky but still cute and coloured very tweedily.

DOCOR WHO AHHH I love the costumes. The Baker scarf really suits the uh, half-camel, and the folds and such are done well on it. Also, dolphin in a fez! Fezes (fez's? Fezi?) are cool... I have never seen a dolphin in one though. And bowtie love. :D

Aw, the last one is cute. I like the little glow from the lamp along the edge of the duvet and on Benedict's (best name ever) coat; like Mhals said, it's the details. On the whole, though, all these pictures are showcasing some really nice marker skills. It's a shame they bankrupted you. >>

I think my jaw fell off of my face looking at these, excuse me while I use it to scoop my brains back into my head
Seriously stop being so awesome :c

Did I hear someone say MORE SHERLOCK???

Okay, probably not, because, to my knowledge, only Cirrus, Kinova and opal have seen the series (if you're a UKian, it's out on DVD - so go and buy it now. you can thank me later), but I really, really love it, and has inspired me to draw not only humans, but male humans. Which pretty much never happens.

ATTACKED BY A GOLEM IN THE PLANITARIUM.
This will never stop being funny. I could explain the joke, but I'll let you enjoy it, as is.

DSCF9113.jpg

MoriARTY. (Sherlock Holme's ultimate enemy, in both the BBC series and Doyle's original novels) His name. I couldn't help myself.

DSCF90992.jpg

*I* was disappointed that Sherlock was drinking coffee. I can only imagine how enraged Mycroft was.

DSCF9091.jpg

The only one of the lot that could actualy be called a "good" picture, but it didn't photograph at all well. Based off the AA Milne illustration of Christopher Robin and Winnie-the-Pooh floating around in Christopher's umbrella.

DSCF9097.jpg

And some Pokeymans:

Spoon and Kai requested a Cradily and Armaldo a few pages back, so here they are (apologies for my terrible camera quality:

DSCF9118.jpg

A Murkrow. Not very good, but I wanted to draw one (mostly because Murkrowfeather's fantastic):

DSCF9119.jpg

Aaaaaand some papercraft! All Sherlock-related because I am in serious fan-mode at the moment.

I love making these:
(that's Mycroft-John-Sherlock-Lestrade-Molly)

RIMG0015.jpg

And a pocket-sized John. Because he's far too adorable:

RIMG0030.jpg

Aaaaand the above sort of led to this:

RIMG0027.jpg

(close up Sherlock and Moriarty)

I have some other requests to do, which could take a little while, but thank everyone very, very much for the fantastic comments and such <3

I saw the first two episodes of the series but just missed the third on iPlayer - I was quite, erm, disgruntled, as what I saw was quite fantastic. ANYWAY. I adore the bedtime story drawing you put up a few posts back, and I love the papercraft models too. Seriously your style is just fantastic, although I've probably said that before. I'm also a little obsessed with the whole SHERLOCK CAT thing (Whatever the proper name for that stuff is, forgive me).

As for the other art, the Murkrow is quite lovely (although I get the feeling the tail should be larger and the hat-spikes, um, wider?), and you managed to make Armaldo and Cradily look... cute, something I doubt many people would be able to do.

Haha, the dramatic clock scene is just brilliant. <3 I've been loving Sherlock as well. Hopefully the second series will inspire you to go into fan-mode when it comes out too :D

Funnily enough, while I was watching that episode Me and my mom had to explain to my little brother what a golem actually was and set aside the difference between a Golem and the pokemon Golem.

From the episode I saw with Moriarity in it, he seems like the kinda guy who would actually make that joke. For a man intent on blowing up people with Semtex, he seems to be painting something rather light hearted, though with you that's to be expected. ;D

Mycroft is right; Coffee is disgusting. And I don't know if it's intentional, but as cute as that picture is, Holmes seems to have quite a receeding hairline in the Winnie the Pooh parody.

The Murkrow is a pretty cool way of showing feathers and stuff, without black outlines and the scruffy way it's done seems like there's feather's ruffled here and there. You've definately taken a liking to those markers you got. Worth the money you spent?

All of the papercraft stuff is wonderfully inventive and adorable. I really wish I'd seen the episode of Sherlock I missed (episode 3?) Because I can't find it on iPlayer. Seems awesome if there's gonna be a clock scene in it.

SoI think that's everything in that update covered. Unless I've missed something, which I doubt because I-

. . .
I am naming her Emmy. <3

Last edited:
Thank you! I'm glad you guys like :D

General question on the layout of art threads in general, which do you prefer? Actual pictures posted, links to pictures, or thumbnails to pictures? At the moment I'm posting the pictures on the page when they're first uploaded and then changing them to plain ol' links when I upload new stuff to stop it streching the page so much. Is that good? Too many images on a single page crashes my computer, but my internet is absolutely rubbish.

Anyways! A couple more Sherlock pictures, because.

To find this funny, you have to know that a) Baker St. Tube Station is decorated with sillouhettes of Sherlock Holmes, and b) Conan-Doyle's Sherlock Holmes never existed in BBC Sherlock-verse. Thus:

bakerst.png

Aaaaaand a re-draw of the "attacked by a Golem in the planetarium" joke above, only this time with *effort*. It was a new and exciting style for me, and I rather like it. What do you think?

planetarium.png

OMG I LOVE YOUR SHERLOCK PICS. ; ; Eeeeh. I love the Golem pic, the style is so artsy. Ahgg so good. And I love how you draw Sherlock and John, they're so cute. <33 Eeeh. And your pokemon are adorable, they're so cute and chibi even when they're like, big scary pokemon, lol.

As for pics or links, I prefer pics when they don't stretch the page, links if the pics are very large.

Hee, thank you! <3

I've been drawing a ton more Sherlock pictures recently, so here they are in a sort of descending order of weirdness:

Sherlock and Mycroft fencing. With a bow/umbrella. Why not?

fencingcolour.jpg

I still haven't got Mycroft down at all (which is sad, because I adore him), and neither of them have a remotely good fencing stance, but I could get this idea out of my head.

The Shock Blanket deserves some sort of "Best supporting role played by an inanimate object" award. because I love it <3

floatyshockblanketcolour.png

More Shock Blanket. If I feel massively inspired, I might redraw this with a proper Aladdin-style feel, but for the moment, enjoy the crazies.

flyingshockblanket.png

Why we don't watch QI (the episode about, among other things, 'handedness') after watching nothing but Sherlock for three days.

leftyjohn.png

(because that is totally how us lefties use scissors)

I like making owls out of socks. I didn't have the materials to make John and Sherlock owls, so I drew them instead. Uh.

owls.jpg

You might need to read this Hyperbole and a Half post to get this.

Aaaand here's the Alice in Wonderland/Sherlock crossover bit.

Molly:

chesiremolly2-1.jpg

Sherlock and John:

madhattersj.png

Unfinished/needs redoing: Lestrade, Sally, Mrs Hudson and the croquet set.

And this.

sjdinosaursredo.jpg

I have no idea.

Oh god I just died of cute overload. D: How. How do you do it. Ahgg the fencing! And - the Alladin shock blanket. AHGG. SHERLOCK DEDUCES ALOT. OMG. I died. xD The way you coloured the alot is so perfect. Oh man. So good. What did you colour it with? It looks like watercoloour or something, it's so nice.

Also 'only tea for me thanks' = one of the best lines in the world, ever. That and 'I'm not a psychopath I'm a high functioning sociopath do your research!' oh god.

Back
Top Bottom