• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Stupid things you thought were true: World Version!

i was always very disillusioned about the world. only thing i can think of was assuming that everyone else was on par with me (meant in the least arrogant way possible).

Hahah. The good ol' days.

-I thought that if you pooed and pissed at the same time, you'd get cancer
-All mailmen had cancer
-Gum caused cancer (I had a real fear of cancer o.O)
-Togo's (the sandwich chain) somehow = poo, so I giggled uncontrollably whenever I passed one
-All preists were pedos except mine XD
-God was real, and if you did anything bad, he'd smite you on the spot
-I was Ash Ketchum (:D)
-My dad taped my dreams so he could watch them

Oh, and, according to my mom, I predicted the deaths of my grandparents and cats. O_O

I have one. I used to think that if I took a plane to somewhere too far away, the plane would fly into blank white space. Also the root of this was that I didn't believe there was a such thing as Arizona.

Apparently when I was around three, I thought that one day I would rule the world with the title, "Boss of the World".

Oh dear, you cannot believe all the stupid geographical things I thought (No, geography is not well taught here):

- I thought that Europe was just another word for England.

- I didn't know there was a South America, I just thought that there was only one America.

- Oh and for some reason, I thought that Donald Trump used to be a president. (Wow.)

- That the "UK" was pronounced "uck" and the US "us".

- That there were demons who watched my every move and were plotting against me. So I did the opposite of what I would normally do to throw them off. (Yes, I was a very crazy little kid.)

- That eating Gushers turned your head into a fruit. I wanted some because it looked cool. XD

More stuff:

- Being old was like this: When you were 70-80ish, you would one day wake up with grey hair and wrinkles and stuff, even if you were perfectly fine the next day. I also thought that people were little kids until their 18th birthday, when they turned adults.
Stuff like that made perfact sense to me.

- You got a car when you turned 18.

- A really stupid one: I thought Jerry in Tom and Jerry was a girl because of his eyelashes, and never having heard the name "Jerry" before and because it's not a common name where I live, I thought it was a girl's name. I thought all the times he was referred to as "him" was a mistake. I got really confused when hearing about a guy named "Jerry". What the crap was wrong with my head?

- Link(from the Legend of Zelda series) was called Zelda.

Plus, my brother thought there was a vampire under his bed, and if he didn't fall asleep by 12 o'clock PM/24.00, the vampire would bite him and give him nightmares.

I was a very creative child.

Firstly, I thought that when there was just the right amount of darkness in my room, I could see individual atoms. I waited until about fifteen minutes after the light went out, and then they started to "appear". I think I bragged to some of my kindergarten friends about this, "you know, I can see ATOMS!" (I doubt many of them knew what atoms were anyway. :P) I thought I was SUPER-duper-special for this, and that I would be highly of use to scientists.

In first grade, for some reason, I thought I was a spy/secret agent. It led to me doing some odd stuff. For example, in our classroom there were some boxes of dominoes. We used them for math or something, and so it was absolutely vital that we didn't mix up the pieces in the boxes. They had to have the exact number of pieces each, and all the right ones too. For some reason, something told me that I had to take a domino out of one of the boxes and bury it in the sandbox out on the playground. I didn't know why I had to do this, I just knew that it must be done. So, when we were playing with the dominoes one day, I sneaked one into my pocket. I was terrified that someone would find it and the whole thing would be blown. But no one did, and I successfully took it to the sandbox and buried it. Then, for the rest of the year, I felt INCREDIBLY guilty about it, but I felt like I couldn't tell anyone at all or else they'd kill me or something.

This whole "I'm a spy" thing led to, for some inexplicable reason, me taking a piece of wood that I found outside to school. I can't really remember what it was, but it was about six inches long and kind of thick. Anyway, I didn't want my mom to notice that I was taking it, so I hid it in my pantleg. Why not my backpack? I have no idea. But anyway, it was in my pants (LOL I HAD SIX INCHES OF WOOD IN MY PANTS HA HA GET IT) and it was resting on my shoe, and I didn't want it to fall out on the ground or else I would be incriminated. This led to me walking funny as I went out the door. My mom asked "are you hurt? why are you limping?" and I was TERRIFIED but I answered "I'm not hurt, I'm fine" and I crossed my fingers as I walked out the door. Fortunately, I was never found, and my mission was pulled off successfully. I can't remember what I did with this wood as I got to school.

Also in first grade, we had a sort of interesting sandbox. It's hard to describe without showing a picture, but anyway there was a bunch of sand, and then there was a big wooden structure that you could climb up. But the structure was hollow, and you could also go under it if you squeezed through the narrow gap. Through this gap was kind of the hideout for me and my friends, this cramped little dark, sandy room underneath the big structure, and we hung out there almost every day. BUT! There was another room under the structure, and it was an even tighter fit in there. You couldn't sit up in there (and remember, we were first graders). Unlike the first room room, which was mostly sand, the second room had lots of weeds, and it was even darker. Needless to say, it was VERY sandy. However, we found the courage to crawl under, and each day, we made it further and further into the second room, until we were pretty much comfortable crawling around in there.

BUT THERE WAS A THIRD ROOM!!!11!!!1!!!!11!!!

Only this third room was yet more cramped, and filled with sand. As in, you couldn't get in, because there was no empty space. Now, why in the world would they make this maze of rooms inside a sandbox? OH I KNOW. It was to hide an Egyptian mummy. There was no other logical explanation. I couldn't believe I had stumbled upon this great secret! But of course, it was buried under these layers of sand. So, I did what any adventurous seven-year-old would do, I dug. My friends dug with me. Every recess, we made more and more project on sifting through the sand and uncovering the mummy. We were all so excited.

BUT THEN DISASTER STRUCK.

We went home over the weekend, and then we returned to the sandbox next Monday only to find that all the sand was back in its place. All our work had been undone. We would never find the Egyptian mummy now! I was devastated. I could have been FAMOUS! But no! Some evil fiend filled that chamber in!

I never tried to dig it up again, and the following year they tore that structure down. I can kind of see why. :P

Okay, this post is getting long now. :0

ANYWAY, in second and third grade, I guess I got my rebellious streak early. I hated school, I hated teachers, and I was convinced that every teacher at our school was in a secret organization dedicated to stripping kids of all their freedom and trapping them and brainwashing them. I tried to defy teachers any time I could get away with it, I loathed it when the teachers would call me cute, and... okay, I just hated them. I didn't hate each individual teacher though. I hated them as a whole. I loved each individual teacher. Kind of odd. ANYWAY, one day, I had a discussion with my friend that went somewhat like this:

FRIEND: Hey, you know that locked door by the music room that we were wondering about?
ME: Yeah?
FRIEND: Well I went up there.
ME: When?
FRIEND: After school. Anyway, you'll never guess what's there?
ME: What?
FRIEND: There's a pool on the roof of the building.
ME: No there isn't!
FRIEND: Yes there is.
ME: Did you swim in it?
FRIEND: Yeah.
ME: Did you have your bathing suit?
FRIEND: No I was naked.
ME: But what if someone saw your wiener?
FRIEND: No one could see, I was on the roof! Anyway, it was really cold there. I am still shivering. BRRRRR.

(eventually via THE POWER OF LOGIC I deduced that there was no pool)

FRIEND: Okay, you got me, there is no pool. It's actually a weapons room. There are guns and stuff.

To me, this made a lot more sense, and I went around believing it for a very long time.

For an extremely long time, I thought that my stuffed animals were real, and loved me with all their hearts. After a while, I stopped believing it, but I sort of used them like some people use God. Like "Oh, no one loves me. :( BUT WAIT! God loves me! :D". My version was: "Oh, no one loves me. :( BUT WAIT! My stuffed animals love me! :D" I knew it was stupid, it just comforted me. Eventually I got over it.

ALSO ON THE SUBJECT OF SEX:

I knew that babies came from women getting pregnant and then nine months later the kid pops out of their stomach. But I had no idea HOW they got pregnant. So I figured that your body just knew when you were married, and then after you were married you got a kid. This is what I thought for a long time, but then I realized that it made no sense. So I confronted my dad about it.

ME: Dad, how do you and Mom decide to have a kid?
DAD: Well, once you decide to have a kid, you have to hug each other while you're naked.

(now, I knew that while it was fine for a guy to see a guy's "wiener", it was NOT fine for a girl to see a guy's "wiener", and vice versa. so this did not make sense to me).

ME: But Dad! Don't they see your wiener then?
DAD: Well, yes, but it's okay because you're married.

I thought to myself "eew! I'll probably never have kids, if it means a girl has to see my wiener!"

that's basically it now.

ETA: Oddly enough, I can't remember a time where I ever believed in God or Santa Claus. I always knew it was my mom beneath the Christmas tree, and I always thought that the God thing was extremely illogical. In the case of Santa Claus, I tried to trick my mom for years into telling me that Santa doesn't really exist, but she never did. In fact, she still talks about Santa now, and whenever I say "what are you getting me for Christmas?" she goes "Me? You mean Santa, right?" Kind of annoying.

On the subject of God, I thought for a long time that God was just a sort of silly game grownups pretended to believe in, kind of like Santa Claus. Except, then, while I was seven or eight, I had a long period where I could never sleep at night, because I thought "WHAT IF GOD DOES EXIST? Then he hates me right now! I'm really sorry, God! I believe in you!" But I knew in my heart that I never really believed...

Thanks a lot, organized religion.

Last edited:
I used to think that everyone lived inside of the world, because I thaught that if we lived on the very outside of the earth that we see on globes, there would be no air and we would float away, because gravity wouldn't have any effect. Its crazy, but whenever I asked about that, no one would ever answer me in a way I could understand, so I would completely twist what they said so that it (unintentionally) supported what I thought. For example, I remember asking my mom if we lived under the earth's surface, and she replied something along the lines of "what do you think?" Then I asked that if we came out, we would float away, then she asked "What do you think gravity is for?" I mean, how hard is it to get a yes or no answer? I had an over active imagination.

My brother has a few good ones also.
-He thaught that catslaid eggs and made their nests under pine trees. He even made a nest out of dead grass because he saw the neighbor's cat under the pine tree in my back yard.
-He thaught houses grew because they were wood, but at that time he didn't know trees were living.

There's a few for me, some of which that have already been said.

-Teachers lived in school
-Video games were ever changing (This was usually due to me forgetting details while replaying a game)
-Everyone in the world speaks English
-Also everyone in the world plays all the video games I do
-Warp pipes from Mario games were to be the way to travel in the future

Perhaps I was a little obsessed over video games.

Anyway, Zeta's entire post made me laugh. Woooo.

Oh, I have one more: I thought it was morally okay to lie, as long as your fingers were crossed behind your back.

Zeta's post made me laugh too, especially the bits about the domino and the wood. I can just imagine this little kid being so determined to do pointless things.

I believed that there was treasure hidden in the school and a group of three teachers were the heirs to it.

Yeah.

-That you had to get married and have children in your lifetime, or else you'd go to Hell or something. (I've never been religious, though)
-You also had to be popular or you'd never ever have any friends
-That girls only liked boys, and boys only liked girls (physically), but sometimes they fell in love with someone of the same gender anyway. (This was mainly because I couldn't figure out how homosexual sex worked.)
-I had also convinced myself that there could be masculine females, but not effeminate males, so being a girl was much better.
-Stepping on cracks in the sidewalk was against the law.
-The entire world was made up of 2 cities and the areas in between, and everywhere else was fictional.
-That a woman could become pregnant just by thinking "I want children", and therefore men were only needed for company (I was quite the feminist back then xD)
-Periods were punishments for being bad.
-I had "heartburn" my entire life until I started school (As in, I seriously though my heart was on fire, I just couldn't feel it)
-You could become very rich by melting pennies and selling the scrap metal.

I know there are more, but I can't think of any atm.

OH I HAVE A REALLY GOOD ONE

Until embarrassingly late (like second grade) I thought that war consisted of standing on the shore of your country, and shooting a gun towards the country you were fighting with, attempting to hit the people on the shore of their own country. It was pretty much dumb luck whether you hit them or not, because you obviously couldn't see them from all the way around the world, right?

I asked a couple adults "so, in a war, how do the bullets go all the way across the ocean?" and they were just like "wut" which didn't help at all. :0 OH and in like first grade I wrote this story about the Gryffindor army fighting the Slytherin army using this "stand on the shore and shoot" method, and reading it nowadays makes me laugh out loud.

Back
Top Bottom