• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The LGBT Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
men > women. you know it to be true. ;D

gtfo D<

So! I signed up to my uni's newly-established feminist society and went to their first meeting on Monday (and dragged opal along because I could, hahaha), and we ended up being there for hours because it was excellent. During the course of conversation, I mentioned I wasn't straight and the girl opposite me (who co-runs the group) squealed like I'd just given her my firstborn and was basically going "Yay! We have a lesbian! We're a proper feminist group now!"

It was pretty funny XD

It's true: it isn't a feminist group unless there's at least one lesbian. FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT DANNI! LESBIANISE THOSE WOMEN LIKE IT'S THE SIXTIES AGAIN!!!!

I don't know if I want to join the LGBT society here in Cardiff. On the one hand it's a way to meet dudes, on the other it's slapping a massive FAG sign across my forehead. It's, like, stereotyping of me to say this, but I generally don't get on with gays. It's so bad because they just hate me instantly. I haven't quite said that I'm gay to any of my flatmates either, although I've not said I'm straight either. I should probably ... mention it or at least make it known in passing. OR SOMETHING damn my faggotry.

totally doesn't help that one of the guys I live with is really hot

[the girls in the flat next door call him 'eye candy'.]

So today in Theatre Studies the teacher went away for like ten minutes and then this girl was talking about how desperately she wants to be surrogate for my (hypothetical) children and such. Someone overheard and was all "Oh, how many kids do you want?" and before I answered someone else said "Wait, are you gay?!" so I said "Yes! Yes I am!" and her face was like literally :O and then all eleven of us spent the next three minutes or so discussing my sexuality and my ex (who cheated on me with some girl and then proceeded to cheat on her immediately after he'd dropped me! Shocked them when I told them about that) and various other things. It was quite interesting and different to talk about it with such a large group of people, must say. And I was quite pleased that nobody was all sort of "OH MY GOD EW THAT'S AWFUL" or anything, or if they did think that they didn't say it~

Which reminds me, today in a free period one of my friends randomly said "Oh yeah by the way we found you a boyfriend! We don't know if he's gay, but he seems it!" My response was pretty much "...Uh?" since, uh, I do not know said person. Although I guess any opportunity should be desperately grasped, woe is me.

Joining as a bisexual.

That must mean you live a stone throw's away from me :|

You have it easy. Homosexuality is ILLEGAL here, meaning that if I came out to the wrong person, I could end up charged by law. So far, I've only come out to my brother.

So today in Theatre Studies the teacher went away for like ten minutes and then this girl was talking about how desperately she wants to be surrogate for my (hypothetical) children and such. Someone overheard and was all "Oh, how many kids do you want?" and before I answered someone else said "Wait, are you gay?!" so I said "Yes! Yes I am!" and her face was like literally :O and then all eleven of us spent the next three minutes or so discussing my sexuality and my ex (who cheated on me with some girl and then proceeded to cheat on her immediately after he'd dropped me! Shocked them when I told them about that) and various other things. It was quite interesting and different to talk about it with such a large group of people, must say. And I was quite pleased that nobody was all sort of "OH MY GOD EW THAT'S AWFUL" or anything, or if they did think that they didn't say it~

Which reminds me, today in a free period one of my friends randomly said "Oh yeah by the way we found you a boyfriend! We don't know if he's gay, but he seems it!" My response was pretty much "...Uh?" since, uh, I do not know said person. Although I guess any opportunity should be desperately grasped, woe is me.

Oh my god, that genuinely sounds awesome. :') I actually love it when bemused people act so interested, usually I might take something like that as patronising, but I just can't help feeling very amused when it happens.

Although, it is kind of weird how people tend to try and set you up, like your friend is. I always overhear people going on about trying to get two gay people to sit next to eachother to see what would happen. Mrk. Although maybe that's just because the vast majority of my friends are bisexual, so I've not exactly been starved for LGBT friendships, haha.

Now that my girlfriend is beginning to come out to our school, things are... interesting. Most people are really happy for us, which makes me smile every time I think about it. I just remember when in year 8 and I came out, I was treated like an absolute freak - things have moved on so much. Although it probably helps that my girlfriend is a really popular person and wasn't a social outcast to begin with. XD

Am I a bad person for not joining the LGBT association at university solely because the booth was staffed by extremely stereotypical gays and lesbians? It just didn't seem like an environment I'd enjoy.

Am I a bad person for not joining the LGBT association at university solely because the booth was staffed by extremely stereotypical gays and lesbians? It just didn't seem like an environment I'd enjoy.
ours had 2 really stereotypical gay guys running it
but I'm gonna see how it goes anyway

Well, I mean, I'd join, but it's like... I won't enjoy it. I basically want to be friends with straight guys who like men.

Basically.

I'd think it would be counter productive to have two stereotypically gay guys running the booth. It would just reinforce the idea that gay guys are all effeminate.

I'd think it would be counter productive to have two stereotypically gay guys running the booth. It would just reinforce the idea that gay guys are all effeminate.
Not to mention that effeminate men, even of the Camp Straight variety, are often considered to be just....ew by the non-LGBT part of society. So by having two stereotypical gays running the booth is not only reinforcing said stereotype, but turning away anyone who would be willing to support.

Personally I only like flamboyant gay guys. Straight-gay is creepy. I mean, ew, you like sports and have no fashion sense and other stereotypically straight stuff? Gross.

Not to mention that effeminate men, even of the Camp Straight variety, are often considered to be just....ew by the non-LGBT part of society. So by having two stereotypical gays running the booth is not only reinforcing said stereotype, but turning away anyone who would be willing to support.

By complaining about "stereotypical" effeminate gays, you are being no better than any other homophobic person. You are being judgemental against these persons because of the way they behave. And yet you expect people to not do the exact same thing to you? Way to be self-centred. They're actually, you know, running the club.

What? That's not what I'm trying to say at all!

I'm just saying that one of the goals of an LGBT society would be to educate everyone about how no stereotype is entirely true, and that especially holds true for homosexuals. However, by having two stereotypically gay men running the both, it's reinforcing the stereotype, being counterproductive to their goals.

sure but I imagine not joining a lgbt club for that reason would be equally counter-productive, right? I mean not only are you letting that stereotype affect you, but then you're also devoiding the club of not-feminine gay men (if you are gay, anyway).

but I mean. fair enough not joining if you don't think you'd like it. I think a lot of people assume that if you're not straight you should join an lgbt club, which is stupid.

What? That's not what I'm trying to say at all!

I'm just saying that one of the goals of an LGBT society would be to educate everyone about how no stereotype is entirely true, and that especially holds true for homosexuals. However, by having two stereotypically gay men running the both, it's reinforcing the stereotype, being counterproductive to their goals.

That's disgusting. So what, we should discriminate against camp gays only now? "Sorry, we'd really prefer you not to run the booth; you see, you're just a stereotype, so you're not good enough in representing LGBT interests". What if they're the only people who volunteered or something?

When you let stereotypes control your actions you're legitimizing them. Your club reps shouldn't need to be anything other than people that are into glbt peeps and straight peeps being bros.

The people who should run the club are the people most interested and most capable of running everything and drawing people in for discussion. How's that sound?

(So this old couple sat in front of me on the bus today. They were talking hushed+excitedly about going to a lady gaga show and I thought it was socute :3)

Last edited:
By complaining about "stereotypical" effeminate gays, you are being no better than any other homophobic person. You are being judgemental against these persons because of the way they behave. And yet you expect people to not do the exact same thing to you? Way to be self-centred. They're actually, you know, running the club.

Well, I mean, I don't care that they're stereotypical or effeminate. Do whatever the fuck you want, I actually don't give a shit. It's just that I didn't want to join it for gay friends, I wanted to join it for, like, sex: I'm simply not attracted to that sort of gay. I basically assumed (perhaps erroneously) that the club was filled with that kind of gay, so... um, yeah. But, like, when everyone assumes you're straight it's sometimes a bit difficult to actually empathise with stereotypical gays. Srsly.

sure but I imagine not joining a lgbt club for that reason would be equally counter-productive, right? I mean not only are you letting that stereotype affect you, but then you're also devoiding the club of not-feminine gay men (if you are gay, anyway).

but I mean. fair enough not joining if you don't think you'd like it. I think a lot of people assume that if you're not straight you should join an lgbt club, which is stupid.

Yeah, I mean, I basically didn't join for two reasons: 1) I really only sort of want to meet guys to have sex with them, 2) I'd like gay friends with similar interests. I've found that the hardcore stereotypical guys typically don't share my interests and I actually get along far better with straight men. It's just how it is. So, like, yeah. I'd join, but I don't think I'd enjoy it. Gay clubs aren't my thing.

That's disgusting. So what, we should discriminate against camp gays only now? "Sorry, we'd really prefer you not to run the booth; you see, you're just a stereotype, so you're not good enough in representing LGBT interests". What if they're the only people who volunteered or something?

That's not what I was saying. I basically meant "the stereotypical guys put me off joining because the implication was that that was the entire club". I don't really care what sort of gay you are, I just... well, I didn't want to join if it was just that kind, and the booth sort of implied that. Plus when I walked past the fat Asian gay was all "OMG YOU'D BETTER BE GAY, PLEASE BE GAY YOU'RE HOT" and I was like "...ffs"

When you let stereotypes control your actions you're legitimizing them. Your club reps shouldn't need to be anything other than people that are into glbt peeps and straight peeps being bros.

The people who should run the club are the people most interested and most capable of running everything and drawing people in for discussion. How's that sound?

(So this old couple sat in front of me on the bus today. They were talking hushed+excitedly about going to a lady gaga show and I thought it was socute :3)

Well, the LGBT+ Association is technically just for gays and lesbians and bisexuals and maybe trans people, but they do mostly gay (male) events, and that's why I was interested. Why I eventually didn't join, though, was because it didn't seem like something I'd enjoy. It might be somewhat surprising, but when people meet me they actually assume I'm straight. It makes it sort of awkward. Like, really awkward. I'd rather be surrounded by other gays like that simply because that's what I am, and it's what I like, and really I sort of want to get laid sometime this year.

Um. Yeah.

:D can't believe I've never joined this

Hi, I'm Harry, and I'm a homosexual. Basically, I came out to my friends starting two Sundays ago, and I feel really really liberated because of it. And my favourite part of it was the funny Q&A sessions that lasted like an hour after I told them, mostly consisting of "do you find him attractive?" or "would you bang so and so?"

They've been really rather accepting - except for one person who hypocritically said "my attitude to you won't change", before decreeing that he was no longer going to change in the same room as me for PE, and was going to invite me to his birthday party before this, but now because I came out, he's "scared" of me and apparently afraid that I'll rape him or something.

But it feels oddly liberating to be able to remark "they're fit" when passing a group of hot guys skating, both out loud and internally. Oh and yeah this guy I really, really fancy also came out to me once I told him (as bi though)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom