• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

TMI Time: Virginity

Are you a virgin?

• Total voters
Yup, and I probably will always will be one. I don't care, anime and video game characters are so much better than "real" women.
You sound like you're scoffing at the very idea that there's any meaningful sense in which real women are more real than anime and video game characters. In which case you really need to get a bit of a reality check. Real women are the ones who are actually people with independent minds who you can actually socially (and physically) interact with. I mean, if you prefer your women not having independent minds, I'm glad you're not inflicting yourself on any actual women, but there is a very meaningful distinction there.

My boyfriend and I have noticed that the two of them subtly seem to be getting fed up with one another. Seeing as how we, and most everyone we know, desperately wants them to break up because they're both stupid bitches when they're in a relationship (why do you think I'm calling her my ex-best-friend? We're on good terms now but she's a hypocritical selfish brat really), we've often psychoanalyzed the two of them, and come to the conclusion that her boyfriend is sexually frustrated over not getting any from the girl that lets him touch her everywhere else and is quite possibly the only person in this universe who doesn't hate his guts (he's a narcissist, egotistical, pathological liar who doesn't understand that other people actually want him to shut the fuck up when they say shut the fuck up and prefers to keep bothering people rather than stop when they start ignoring him, and he's definitely got Asperger's to boot - I have Asperger's and I'm not saying it's a bad thing but knowing my own shortcomings I know that most of the time he is bothering people on purpose rather than just not knowing any better). We think she may have picked up on this (even subconsciously) and is getting annoyed right back at him for wanting it at all. Never mind the fact that he's a horny teenage boy who has a girlfriend that lets him touch her but won't let him penetrate but lets him get real damn close, never mind the fact that the most self-control in the world can even fall victim to raging hormones. He's not Catholic so he doesn't have the religious reason for wanting to wait, and if his brother (the gay-guy-with-a-girlfriend)'s actions are any indication he doesn't have the same viewpoint as his girlfriend, so it's understandable that he would get annoyed! They've been dating a year - which for a freshman/sophomore couple is a long time - and yet.

This would be a perfect description of my ex-boyfriend were the years not off.

Anyway, I don't want to have sex until I get into a committed relationship. Why? Because yeah, I'm one of those people that does get more attached when things start getting physical. I'm also just terribly afraid of intimacy and being intimate with someone (I was embarrassed at holding hands with my ex, and this was back when I practically worshipped him). As such, it is simply not possible for me to willingly have sex with someone at an early stage in the relationship.

Also in marriage you know your partner better and you'd know whether they have STDs or not so you can take precautions, as opposed to having one night stands with random people. Not that there isn't an inbetween, but just trying to explain what your friend's logic might be like.

Still a virgin (and will probably be one for a while), but I admit I'm kind of sexually frustrated since I lost my official cuddlebuddy.

And yeah, to the guy who says anime is better than "real" women, I really appreciate being told that Japanese animation is superior to me. Thanks, really.

I swear to God if you make another post like that stereotyping an entire gender shit's gonna go down

seriously where do you get off thinking you can say something as horribly sexist as that

I don't see how that is sexist. Real people in general are flawed and don't look perfect most of the time while fictional ones due tend to look perfect.

So I can see why someone would prefer attractive 2D girls to 3D ones. Mind you for me 3D girls while not as good as attractive 2D ones they are still worth being with.

Still a virgin though I wouldn't mind being friends with benefits to someone I have known for years or having sex with someone I have dated for years.

Last edited:
I don't see how that is sexist. Real people in general are flawed and don't look perfect most of the time while fictional ones due tend to look perfect.

it's implying that no existing woman is good enough for him and blanket generalizing all women as being worse than nonexistent women. it's tinted with a tone of superiority toward existing women and pretty much saying "i'm better than all women cause every last one of them is not good enough for me"

it's implying that no existing woman is good enough for him and blanket generalizing all women as being worse than nonexistent women. it's tinted with a tone of superiority toward existing women and pretty much saying "i'm better than all women cause every last one of them is not good enough for me"

I don't see how. I could get it if he had said that real women were worthless and not worth his time but all he said was that he liked fictional ones better. Nothing wrong with that provided he admits that real women are still worth being with.

Personally the way I see it is that fictional ones a better looking but real ones are better in terms of actual personality so in my book they are about equal. But that is just me.

except he didn't even imply that o.o

He didn't imply otherwise either though. Understandable why you'd be upset.

2D girls/guys are designed to look perfect while real ones aren't. So they win over in the looks department. Real girls/guys are more realistic than 2D ones so they win in terms of personality. So that balances things out making neither completely superior to the other. Or at least that is how I see it.

Whatever floats your boat, lads. This thread is fast becoming the thing where you're asking relationship advice from people who have never been in relationships.

agreeing that 2d people can be pretty damn amazing (i am married to four)

laughing at the debate over 2d or 3d people being better

I don't think it's absurd to aesthetically prefer animated characters over real people - their appearance tends to be consciously designed to be appealing and can act as a superstimulus (something that triggers the brain's rules of thumb for attractiveness more than a real person could). And fictional characters can also have idealized, extra-appealing personalities that, perhaps, few real people would seem to match up to - plus that as a consumer of a work of fiction, you grow to understand a character's personality to a far greater degree than you understand the personalities of most people around you that you don't know very well, making them more sympathetic than any random person you might want to start dating.

Saying this means they're so much better than real women, though, does sound pretty scornful towards real women. Compare, say, "Cornflakes are so much better than cheerios" - you wouldn't word it that way if you thought cheerios were awesome but cornflakes were just even better. Moreover, since "better" is such a blanket term for positive qualities, and with the added quotes around "real", he seemed to be dismissing the idea that being real was in any way a point in favor of real women, implying that as far as he's concerned being real people with an independent mind just makes women more of a nuisance.

I'm not sure if I'd call that sexist per se because as far as we know he might think the same about men vs. fictional men if he happened to be attracted to men, but it does sound pretty misogynistic.

2D girls/guys are designed to look perfect while real ones aren't. So they win over in the looks department. Real girls/guys are more realistic than 2D ones so they win in terms of personality. So that balances things out making neither completely superior to the other. Or at least that is how I see it.

the aesthetically pleasing part isn't the part that bothers me; i agree wholeheartedly. it's the fact that you think that fact makes them equal to real women. you can't interact in any possible way with an anime character but you can do so with real women which is why i'm confused

the aesthetically pleasing part isn't the part that bothers me; i agree wholeheartedly. it's the fact that you think that fact makes them equal to real women. you can't interact in any possible way with an anime character but you can do so with real women which is why i'm confused

Fair enough. Though I was mostly talking about individual traits outside of interaction.

Maybe all his interactions have been bad so far?

I think what he said was a little stupid but we should not be intolerant so as to ignore his background! Maybe a girl or a woman did something to him that hurt him for life. Although I suspect it's just him being childish.

I've been infatuated with anime characters before. IMO it's worse than unrequited love. You can even write a fanfic and include yourself as a character and date the character you love, but it'll never be the same as real love with real people. In the end, you'll hurt yourself much harder.

I think what he said was a little stupid but we should not be intolerant so as to ignore his background! Maybe a girl or a woman did something to him that hurt him for life.
Yes, that absolutely explains and justifies everything. Because every woman is exactly the same and having been wronged by one person of a group means it's the entire group's fault!

photo032509421.jpg

Back
Top Bottom