• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
but for now, i have j.d. salinger's franny and zooey waiting for me on the shelf.

i finished it ten minutes ago. it was okay; the dialogue was really fun to read, but their discussions got a bit too lengthy for my liking. they started to remind me way too much of ayn rand as they appeared more often. maybe i'll read it again.

i'll probably start economics in one lesson later tonight or tomorrow morning.

You are not reading this before reading The Catcher in the Rye, are you?

no; i read that last spring. i think i know what you're getting at, though. (probably not.)

since i posted last, i skipped out on that economics book for later, read the bell jar, and started cat on a hot tin roof again.

Naruto manga. Number 35. I was looking for the chakra natures :D

I think it's good, but number 36 is saaad D:

Oh yeah, it's by Masashi Kishimoto.

no; i read that last spring. i think i know what you're getting at, though. (probably not.)
What I was getting at was that Catcher is his most famous work - it is much better known than Franny, and it seemed strange that someone should read Franny first.

Recently I've been dipping into Branded by Alissa Quart, which is a non-fiction book about brands, labels and marketing, especially that aimed at teenagers. It's very eye-opening.

What I was getting at was that Catcher is his most famous work - it is much better known than Franny, and it seemed strange that someone should read Franny first.

i thought it had something to do with the fact that one of the glass siblings claimed they wrote catcher in the rye. :x

i have <60 pages left of walden. i might go finish it now before my mind shuts off.

eeee foreign contaminant, i knew you'd like wilde's works. i mean you seem to have good taste and wilde is awesome so yeah

Anyway, I finished The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne and it has one of the saddest endings I've read yet. It is very good and I reccomend it and I'll definitely be watching out for the film.
I started Talking With Serial Killers (Christopher Berry-Dee), which is pretty much exactly what the title indicates. It's been very interesting so-far.
I also started One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Ken Kesey) and I'm enjoying it very much, though I'm only on page thrity-three or so.
And and and I'm also very slowly reading Notre-Dame des Fleurs. It's hard to read because Jean Genet uses a lot of metaphores and he makes it quite hard to understand where the action's taking place or what's actually going on. It's very poetic. It also slapped me in the face with a gay sex moment, but it was told so poetically I only really grasped what was happening like half a page later, haha. I really wasn't expecting it because I borrowed the book from the school library.

eeee foreign contaminant, i knew you'd like wilde's works. i mean you seem to have good taste and wilde is awesome so yeah

yeah, i was planning on waiting until after i finished my "queue" to read wilde; but then i finished a clockwork orange in english a little early and had nothing to do, and the importance of being earnest was lying around, and i decided i might as well read it, and yeah, it was great. i found "the nightingale and the rose" within the same text and read that; i enjoyed that a bit as well. my english teacher and i had a mini discussion about the play in between classes and she seemed to enjoy it a lot also.

as for what i am reading, i finished walden last night. it was not really my thing; it's the first book i read this year that i didn't find a lot to like about it. i'm reading i, robot right now and, unfortunately, i think i'm having the same problem.

..One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest..

this is next in my "queue," actually. i've been kind of excited about it for a while.

Oh, The Nightingale and the Rose is lovely. I think all of Oscar Wilde's children's stories are wonderful, and even as a, well, non-child I love reading them. The Happy Prince and The Remarkable Rocket are nice as well.
I have to admit that although I'm a huge Wilde fan I still haven't read Lady Windermere's Fan, Salome or De Profundis, but I'll get round to that once I finish all the other books.
I'd probably read them faster if they weren't all in one huge volume I fell in love with. Buying it lead to a very nice discussion with the man at the till about Wilde and his works actually, which was a lot of fun.

Cuckoo's Nest is great, I'm sure you'll like it. I don't know whether you've seen the film yet (I reccomend it, Jack Nicholson is amazing as McMurphy, but that's a given), but I had watched it before starting the novel and I was quite surprised to find out the story's told through Chief's eyes.
It's a bit racist round the edges but it's still very enjoyable.

The Seventh Tower: Book 1 The Fall

It's by Garth Nix.

Garth Nix? Hmm, I'm thinking of Grim Tuesday now. I have Grim Tuesday; it's the only one of the series that I own, but I like it =]

Actually, lately, I've been reading nothing but the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Seriously, I mean nothing but Warriors. I've recently purchased Cats of the Clans and have already read it three times =]

Echo Burning by Lee Child is what I'm reading currently. Pretty good book, too bad I couldn't get the third book, Tripwire. Or Running Blind.

:|

Updates! =D Faeries of Dreamdark: Blackbringer by Laini Taylor was amazing. I love it, and I'm totally going to read Silksinger when it comes out.

Now I'm reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold as part of a reading group that myself and a couple of friends have started. I'm also still reading Inkspell by Cornelia Funke.

And my up-to-date to-read list...

-Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyers
-The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima
-Above the Veil by Garth Nix (plus sequels)
-Among the Betrayed by Margarette Peterson Haddix (plus sequels)
-Snakecharm by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (plus sequels)
-Long Shadows by Erin Hunter
-Brisingr by Christopher Paolini

...Why is this list not going down even though I'm reading a lot lately...? xD;

Updates! =D Faeries of Dreamdark: Blackbringer by Laini Taylor was amazing. I love it, and I'm totally going to read Silksinger when it comes out.

Now I'm reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold as part of a reading group that myself and a couple of friends have started. I'm also still reading Inkspell by Cornelia Funke.

And my up-to-date to-read list...

-Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyers
-The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima
-Above the Veil by Garth Nix (plus sequels)
-Among the Betrayed by Margarette Peterson Haddix (plus sequels)
-Snakecharm by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (plus sequels)
-Long Shadows by Erin Hunter
-Brisingr by Christopher Paolini

...Why is this list not going down even though I'm reading a lot lately...? xD;

i know how it feels; i read nine books last month and it still feels like my stack is not getting any smaller.

anyway, i started one flew over the cuckoo's nest last night. i had to reread the first seventy pages over again so i had a better idea of what was going on; now i know for sure what the characters are doing. i think i'll like this book.

edit: oh, and though i am sure those of us that must take the SAT for college are in the minority, but if you have read any of these books, what's your average score? for me, though naked lunch is sadly not among their ranks, mine would be around 1050-1100; the bell jar was the last book among those that i enjoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom