• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Which Superpower Would You Want?

Which one?

• Flight

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Invisibility

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • Super Strength

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Speed (matrix style dodging included)

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Teleportation

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 29 49.2%

• Total voters
Crys: In addition to.
What? o.o

But think of the laziness it allows - you can wake up five minutes before you have to be somewhere and make it on time
Also no transport costs. Ever. (unless you don't want to run, say, from London to Glasgow)
Teleportation still beats it on the getting-to-places-quickly front. Plus, if I were to find myself choosing a superpower, "longer lie-ins" would hardly rank on my list of deciding factors.

Teleportation still beats it on the getting-to-places-quickly front. Plus, if I were to find myself choosing a superpower, "longer lie-ins" would hardly rank on my list of deciding factors.

Speed allows you to eat and get ready and all that other stuff as well as just the place-to-place part, plus teleportation will probably mean dismantling your body, which may not be so good.
Also super-strength punches
And so much better at sports and such (going so fast gives good reflexes)
Plus it makes exercise much more fun

I think speed has to be one of the most useful powers in everyday life, since it effectively gives you more time.

Cryssie: I think that was directed at Dannichu.

On topic, c'mon guys, wind control what else could you need? Get a tailwind going behind you for super speed, eliminate any semblance of drag, rip the air out of your enemies' lungs, etc., etc.

So many possibilities.

Speed allows you to eat and get ready and all that other stuff as well as just the place-to-place part,
See, I wouldn't pick a superpower and then just use it to help me out with the normal daily things that I already do. I'd want a power that picks up my existing life by the scruff of its neck, points out the direction of the nearest exit, and gives it a firm punt to help it on its way out.

plus teleportation will probably mean dismantling your body, which may not be so good.
Or it might not! I know basically nothing about spacetime, but I gather it's pretty weird. Who knows how these things would work?

Also super-strength punches
And so much better at sports and such (going so fast gives good reflexes)
Plus it makes exercise much more fun
So you'd use your power to win unfairly against people who wouldn't stand a chance? And that would be a really good use of a superpower? And I'd also like to add "making exercise more fun" to my list of not-deciding-factors. o.o

I think speed has to be one of the most useful powers in everyday life, since it effectively gives you more time.
But the rest of the universe will still be moving at the same speed. Even if you could go blindingly fast, your friends couldn't. You'd have to slow down in pretty much any social situation. Faster movement everywhere and with everything, there's gotta be some killer friction in that... even a door you use daily would probably take a beating from being slammed open at a ridiculous speed. Or if you're holding drinks, for example, aren't they going to slosh out of their vessels and go all over the place if you're moving like the Roadrunner?

EDIT:
rip the air out of your enemies' lungs
Oooooh. That is pretty awesome.

But why would you even want to rip the air out of people's lungs if you can control their minds, huh? Control their minds!

Why do we need to be beating people up and making enemies? :(
I'm no superhero, I'm just some guy who goes invisible whenever the government get too close.

I'm assuming that by going invisible I also avoid all detection systems and cannot have my footsteps heard, else it kinda sucks.

Why do we need to be beating people up and making enemies? :(
I'm no superhero, I'm just some guy who goes invisible whenever the government get too close.

I'm assuming that by going invisible I also avoid all detection systems and cannot have my footsteps heard, else it kinda sucks.
Don't forget - it has to make your clothes invisible, too!

Myself? I'd probably find something subtle like regeneration useful. Considering I'm quite paranoid about being hospitalised, I'd love it as I'd never have to go into hospital. Also, there are quite dangerous drivers near where we live and in the newspaper there appears to be a local stabbing of some description every fortnight.

I'm also the type who wouldn't want to show their power off to anyone either, therefore the subtlety of the regeneration power is almost perfect.

However, I am quite inclined to go for the control over water/ice. I mean, if you want to hurt someone, just freeze their blood or something.

See, I wouldn't pick a superpower and then just use it to help me out with the normal daily things that I already do. I'd want a power that picks up my existing life by the scruff of its neck, points out the direction of the nearest exit, and gives it a firm punt to help it on its way out.

Yeah I'd like one of these too, but I see daily life-enhancement as a sort of bonus

So you'd use your power to win unfairly against people who wouldn't stand a chance? And that would be a really good use of a superpower? And I'd also like to add "making exercise more fun" to my list of not-deciding-factors. o.o

Only if they deserve it, like if they're evil or something.
Not cheating at sports would come under "Responsible use of powers." I just mean that overweight couch potatoes such as myself could get fit and healthy faster.

But the rest of the universe will still be moving at the same speed. Even if you could go blindingly fast, your friends couldn't. You'd have to slow down in pretty much any social situation. Faster movement everywhere and with everything, there's gotta be some killer friction in that... even a door you use daily would probably take a beating from being slammed open at a ridiculous speed. Or if you're holding drinks, for example, aren't they going to slosh out of their vessels and go all over the place if you're moving like the Roadrunner?

I say use speed when you aren't going through doors, carrying drinks or anything speed would cause problems for (although with super speed you could probably run/walk fast with a drink and not spill it, since you would be able to 'walk slowly' in super-speed mode). Avoiding friction would probably come under the same issue as invisible clothing - secondary powers you need to make the first work.
For social people like you (apparently) speed wouldn't be so good, but then loners like me it matters less. Plus you can always avoid people you don't want to interact with.

To me speed seems like the compromise between the others: If you can have 2 or more it's useless, but if you can only have on it's more flexible than a lot of others.

Myself? I'd probably find something subtle like regeneration useful. Considering I'm quite paranoid about being hospitalised, I'd love it as I'd never have to go into hospital. Also, there are quite dangerous drivers near where we live and in the newspaper there appears to be a local stabbing of some description every fortnight.

I want regeneration too (I'm split really) - healing yourself would be brilliant, aside from needing to ensure you aren't seriously injured when there are lots of people around

What I'd choose isn't one of the ones listed, and is in fact kind of silly. I'd want to be able to breathe underwater. =D

The ability to imitate people's movements, appearance and personality.

That would be hilarious. :D

You mean you want to be like a clone of any person? Hehe, that would be kinda cool.

I've also thought of being able to enter other people's minds and make them do what I want them to.

Empathic mimicry. Peter Petrelli has so much potential for awesomeness ;__;

that's a kickass power btw, I just take all of your powers by standing near you and then I am SUPERHARLEQUIN.

That wouldn't exactly work if you were the only one with powers.

What power would you want if that were the case?

I would like to be able to control time. I could stop time and rob banks and stuff. Yes, I would be a supervillian.

My Art teacher came up with this really interesting superpower. He called it "awesomeness". It sounds stupid, but what it does it cool. No matter what you do, everyone else thinks it's amazing and perfect, no matter what it is. You could just walk into a room and everyone would be amazed.

Plus, if I were to find myself choosing a superpower, "longer lie-ins" would hardly rank on my list of deciding factors.

Pssh, and you call yourself a teenager?
If it lets me sleep more, I'm all for it. I don't care what it is, I want it. X3

But before I do, my likely choice? Telekinesis. Seriously. Limitlessly strong telekinesis would encompass pretty much everything. If you take it as meaning "the ability to manipulate matter at will", what can't you do with it? The universe is your canvas. Even if you take a more restricted definition, flinging stuff around with your mind would still be damned fun.

Agree. Completely. Telekinesis covers flight and super strength, if you think about it: you can, say, use telekinesis to lift yourself and levitate. Or, if you can't use it on yourself, stand on something and lift that in the air. And telekinesis covering super strength is self-explanatory.

Time Psyduck said:
blah Speed is awesome blah

A great problem with speed is that you get tired. I mean, it'll be great if I can run at 10000 miles per hour, but I will probably collapse from fatigue before I completed a mile.

Unless, of course, super speed comes with endurance, which then my argument is invalid. It's still quite useless though, especially since teleportation and telekinesis already covers the "save time" factor. (For telekinesis, get yourself into a safe thing, then use your awesome powers to hurl yourself through time-space and arrive at your destination without any delay.)

If you can control everything -- even space and whatnot -- with telekinesis, you won't need any other super powers. Move molecules of stuff around and you can control the elements. Move the atoms and you get FMA-esque alchemy powers (turn lead into gold, anyone?). Change the rate of chemicals fired in other people's brains to mind control. Or, heck, just lift them in the air and throw them around. Bend light to make yourself seem invisible. As for morphing, I guess you can move your own molecules around until you change shape.

I guess you'll need superior scientific knowledge to use telekinesis to its max though...

Back
Top Bottom