• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What are you reading? II

I'm reading The Disaster Artist, which is Greg Sestero's account of working on The Room and his friendship with Tommy Wiseau. It is, of course, wildly entertaining.

On the Road by Jack Keourac. I'm reading the original, which means none of the names are changed. IT's pretty cool.

Finished Good Omens, don't think there's anything to say about that.

Right now I'm reading The Science Delusion: Asking the Big Questions in a Culture of Easy Answers by Curtis White. I'm ... on the fence, really. It's essentially an assault on writers like Dawkins and Hitchens, as well as popular scientists, mostly neuroscientists and a couple physicists. I agree with the bits on the New Atheists, because I think they're extremely obnoxious. I think he plays it up a little bit in the book, but I believe the accusations he makes are valid. As for popular science, I do think that it has the potential to be really harmful to the public, since there's no one checking their claims, and the chances of misinformation being interpreted as fact are far too likely.

On the reading list are My Promised Land: The Triumph and Tragedy of Israel by Ari Shavit and Handling the Undead by John Lindqvist.

I just finished reading The Eggman by Carlton Mellick. It's bizarro fiction featuring a world where humans are born as fetus flies and people are employed by companies to host the souls of the dead in their enormous brains... and there's other weird stuff. I enjoyed it a lot, it felt really fresh and original without being too random or over the top. (some criticisms I have against other bizarro books) But that ending was really, really depressing and is gonna stick with me for a while.

I'm going to read iron council by China Miéville next, something that's been on my to-read list for a while. Negrek recommended his books to me and I've really loved 'em. Got a lot of awesome world-building going on there.

I just finished It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini, and it was excellent. To be homest, the book made me angry, because it said so many things that I've struggled to put into words, but I still loved it. I'm also going to be reading Like Water for Chocolate for my semester reading and film project.

I just finished reading The Eggman by Carlton Mellick. It's bizarro fiction featuring a world where humans are born as fetus flies and people are employed by companies to host the souls of the dead in their enormous brains... and there's other weird stuff. I enjoyed it a lot, it felt really fresh and original without being too random or over the top. (some criticisms I have against other bizarro books) But that ending was really, really depressing and is gonna stick with me for a while.

I'm going to read iron council by China Miéville next, something that's been on my to-read list for a while. Negrek recommended his books to me and I've really loved 'em. Got a lot of awesome world-building going on there.

Fair warning: Iron Council is not the easiest of his books to like.

Days of Blood and Starlight, the sequel to the AMAZING book Daughter of Smoke and Bone.

I love these books so much! Can't wait for Dreams of Gods and Monsters.

I'm currently reading The Twistrose Key by Tone Almhjell. I didn't really know what to expect of it, but I'm quite enjoying it! It's a very charming story so far.

Anne Frank and Jane Eyre, and then The Last Continent... hopefully.

Oh, and I finished the Divergent series.

The Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder. I'm reading all of the Gateway Award nominees. One of them has actually become my new favorite book (Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor).

That's correct. In eighth grade, they made us read Relato de un náufrago, also by Gabirel García Márquez.

Ugh, him. After reading 100 Years of Solitude I am kinda meh to him. Talented author, yes, but not one I particularly enjoy reading.

Currently reading Planet of the Apes because we did a translation assignment on it in French class, and it piqued my interest. It is absolutely amazing so far, and I would highly recommend it.

I've been having a hard time getting back into reading, so I decided to bridge non-reading and reading with "reading a comic book", which was Grant Morrison's Arkham Asylum. Having finished that trainwreck, I'm about to start Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.

Back
Top Bottom