• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Black & White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Victini seems like the next Base 100 IMO. If it is a legendary, (which it almost undoubtedly is), it seems to share the "cute and harmless" look of Jirachi, Celebi, Mew, and Manaphy. In which case its special event release seems fitting, and makes it EASIER to get than the others have been.

...And I really like the new dex.

Awwwwww! Victini is adorable. And I just realized it's Pokedex number is #000 thanks to you guys....

Time to think up some theories that Victini is Missingno.
In retrospect, you'd think they would have done this with Mew, but no, it's after its own clone.

In retrospect, you'd think they would have done this with Mew, but no, it's after its own clone genetically-engineered mutant child.

Mew was a last-minute addition to the game that someone snuck in as a prank, pretty much, so it's not like they had the entire development period to figure out where it would go in the Pokédex (like they apparently did with Victini.) I'm guessing the only reason they even chose Mew to be the "extra" legendary of Red/Green/Blue is because it was already mentioned in Mewtwo's in-game backstory... basically, Mewtwo comes before Mew in the Pokédex because Mewtwo was programmed as a catchable Pokémon before Mew was.

So it's not surprising at all that they didn't think of "hiding" the event-legendary at #000 back then.

but mew is at slot 21, so. it just doesn't add up somehow.

In the Iwata Asks interview for HG/SS, its mentioned that Mew was programmed into one of the leftover slots(at least I think. I could be wrong here). Look at how many leftover slots are filled with Missingno. They easily could've taken anyone of those and plugged Mew into it. They just happened to go with #21...

Personally, I like the differences between the versions. It's not like "In Ruby there is Groudon here and there's lava and in Sapphire it's Kyogre in water" its like "In Black the city is all high-tech and awsome and the same city in White is made of stone and looks all....not-modern"

Personally, I like the differences between the versions. It's not like "In Ruby there is Groudon here and there's lava and in Sapphire it's Kyogre in water" its like "In Black the city is all high-tech and awsome and the same city in White is made of stone and looks all....not-modern"

Agreed. But who knows - It might end up being something like R/S. Hopefully not, though. It was abit better in Emerald. (Plus, if anyone wants Latios/Latias in HG/SS, might aswell take a look at this.)

In the Iwata Asks interview for HG/SS, its mentioned that Mew was programmed into one of the leftover slots(at least I think. I could be wrong here). Look at how many leftover slots are filled with Missingno. They easily could've taken anyone of those and plugged Mew into it. They just happened to go with #21...

I'm guessing they just picked the first slot that was open and stuck it in there. There are no Missingo. slots before Mew, and the first ones (two in a row) don't show up until a little further down the list, after Gyarados, Shellder, Tentacool, Gastly, Scyther, Staryu, Blastoise, Pinsir, and Tangela.

(Yeah, I just happened to have a text file of the R/G/B/Y Pokémon order--complete with Missingno. slots--sitting around on my computer. XD)

=============

EDIT: Somewhat back-on-topic... since the Black/White characters are going to be a few years older than the main characters of previous games, are they also going to be significantly taller?

The kids in previous games have all been pretty short... probably not that short as far as Japanese 10-year-olds go, but still. Ethan seems to be the tallest so far; he's 4'10" going by the HG/SS Pokédex's size comparing feature. I'm guessing Lyra is shorter than that, though I don't know by how much. Lucas and Dawn are 4'08" and 4'07".

Green/Blue/FRLG-Girl/call-her-whatever-you-want-as-long-as-it's-not-Leaf and both of the R/S kids seem to be in the 4'07"-4'08" range too, though it's hard to tell, since R/S and FR/LG don't have the kids' heights listed. And, at least in FR/LG, the size comparisons don't seem to be too accurate... the 4'11" Machoke barely comes up to the girl's chest, a 5'03" Hypno is around the same size or a tiny bit taller, and a 4'07" Doduo and a 4'03" Gastly both seem to be roughly the same size or maybe a tiny bit shorter. The Machoke is way off, and all of the others contradict each other... which makes the kids' heights even harder to figure out.

Last edited:
Well, it's not like the game will know if you're lying about your height or weight. So just lie. And the trainer sprite doesn't have to change, but that would be cool. Plus, you can change your height and weight as much as you want throughout the game, since people don't stay the same height ans weight forever.

... That actually would be a neat idea for the Pokedex comparey thingies. I'm quite a bit heavier (and just a little bit taller) than the default height and weight, so if I want to know how big or heavy a Pokemon is compared to me personally I still have to guesstimate (or, more reasonably, go to Veekun instead).

That's the only purpose I could see having a custom height and weight having at all though. So why would you lie about it or feel bad about it? If you want to blissfully ignore how obese you may be just leave it at the defaults.

Green/Blue/FRLG-Girl/call-her-whatever-you-want-as-long-as-it's-not-Leaf and both of the R/S kids seem to be in the 4'07"-4'08" range too, though it's hard to tell, since R/S and FR/LG don't have the kids' heights listed. And, at least in FR/LG, the size comparisons don't seem to be too accurate... the 4'11" Machoke barely comes up to the girl's chest, a 5'03" Hypno is around the same size or a tiny bit taller, and a 4'07" Doduo and a 4'03" Gastly both seem to be roughly the same size or maybe a tiny bit shorter. The Machoke is way off, and all of the others contradict each other... which makes the kids' heights even harder to figure out.

That might be because Machoke is... crouching or something and not upright or something. You should take all the size comparisons with a grain of salt because the pose a Pokemon has can be misleading.

Last edited:
That might be because Machoke is... crouching or something and not upright or something. You should take all the size comparisons with a grain of salt because the pose a Pokemon has can be misleading.

Yeah, it's kind of down on one knee. I took the poses into account (the Hypno is in kind of an odd pose too, and the Doduo's heads aren't held completely upright), but the Machoke still looks too small to possibly be 4'11" unless the girl is around that height herself, or maybe even taller... which makes yet another contradiction with the Doduo and Gastly.

Of course, FR/LG's height comparisons seem to have been pretty bad overall, especially when weird poses that make a Pokémon look taller or shorter are involved (like the Machoke.) They look a lot more accurate in the 4th-gen games, and even in R/S/E.

that would be cool, but it would make some people feel bad (especially if the trainer sprite changes)

The game would have no way of knowing how much of that extra weight is muscle, how much is fat, and how much is just the way your bone structure is set up... so unless they put in an extra option to customize those too (which seems really unlikely) I doubt they'd change the sprites in that way.

Customizable heights and weights would be a great feature, though. I think it'd be pretty funny to see Pidgeys and Hoppips fly up into the air when my 230-pound trainer lands on the other side of the scale. Or seeing the little trainer dude standing a good head taller than the average Blastoise.

...I wonder, if you put in something like 2000 pounds as your weight, would the Pokémon on the other end go rocketing up into the air and not come down (like if you put Groudon on the scale in HG/SS?)

They'd probably put limits on the height and weight to prevent abnormal heights and weights. I doubt they'd let someone be an inch tall and weigh 2,000 pounds. If they didn't put limits, though, I'd do just that.

I'm 4'9, so I can usually get a pretty good estimate from the Pokedex :P

Customizable heights and weights would be kinda cool, although I don't think it'd be of much use besides the Pokedex..
And yah, about the sprites being misleading.. What if they just had a silhouette of the Pokemon in some normal standing position?

Yeah, they'd probably cut off the heights/weights at certain points. Something like 2 feet minimum and 8 feet maximum for height would include pretty much every human on the face of the planet (except kids that are too young to be playing video games anyway, and maybe a handful of insanely tall people who are over 8 feet), and the weight would probably start at maybe 50 pounds for extremely short skinny people and max out at somewhere around 600 pounds (the heaviest man in the world was around 900-1000, but he also couldn't even get out of bed, so... not exactly a realistic weight for someone who's going to be traveling around on foot everywhere.)

Of course, that way you could still make your character into The World's Roundest Midget (2'00", 600 pounds!), but that's not nearly as far out there as being an inch tall and weighing 2000 pounds. XD

And yah, about the sprites being misleading.. What if they just had a silhouette of the Pokemon in some normal standing position?

That would be extremely useful.

Another change that would be really useful for figuring out the sizes of everything: specifying whether the "height" measurement is actually height (like it is for humanoid-shaped Pokémon), length (like it is for long-bodied Pokémon like Furret, Dragonair, or Steelix), or some other measurement (width, possibly for something like Wailmer or Forretress that's wider than it is tall/long), instead of just listing "height" for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom