• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Challenge Board

hello there *new person noises*

Format: 2 v 2
Style: Singles
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: uh... not really sure where to go with this. 40% seems standard?
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO and direct recoveries.
Arena Description: Plain Arena

A simple place for a simple battle, the open-air Plain Arena has little foreseeable restriction on what might or might not happen there. The arena is mostly soft grass over tunnelable dirt, with stones and even boulders here and there that can be summoned for Rock-type attacks. A small lake comfortable for non-gigas water-bound Pokémon shines beside the field. The place smells vaguely of abstract things like young Trainers and hope, and has no special effects on the battle.

Other: preferably non-terrifying Pokémon, as I'll be going at it with first-stages.

A simple place for a simple battle, the open-air Plain Arena has little foreseeable restriction on what might or might not happen there. The arena is mostly soft grass over tunnelable dirt, with stones and even boulders here and there that can be summoned for Rock-type attacks. A small lake comfortable for non-gigas water-bound Pokémon shines beside the field. The place smells vaguely of abstract things like young Trainers and hope, and has no special effects on the battle.

Other: preferably non-terrifying Pokémon, as I'll be going at it with first-stages.
I'll accept this :)

Format: 4v4 singles
Style: Set
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct healers, weather moves, Taunt
Arena Description: Bad Moon Rising

A spooky courtyard in a spooky castle, long abandoned in the spooky night. In the center, a large fountain sputters with water, providing a handy source for water-type moves. Most prominently, the moon above is doing weird things, the effects of which are as follows (and these disappear whenever the stage fades).

- Crescent moon: While spooky, this stage causes no odd effects.

- Full moon: Shining white, the weird energy of this moon will tap into a Pokemon's full potential. As if they were werebeasts, every Pokemon will be temporarily fully evolved, and as such have access to its evolution's movepools and all of its evolution's abilities (Hidden and otherwise) at the same time. If a Pokemon has a branched evolutionary path, the evolution will be chosen at random.

- Blood moon: Provoked by the savage crimson shade, every Pokemon on the field will be granted +1 attack and +1 special attack. However, each battler has a 5% chance each action of being enraged enough to ignore their command for that action, instead using a random damaging move from its movepool that will cause an additional 2% damage after all other calculations are applied.

- Blue moon: With this uncommon lunar shade comes an appearance of uncommon luck. All Pokemon will have an additional 10% chance of inflicting a critical hit, similar to if it had used Focus Energy.

- Lunar eclipse: The eerie alignment of Earth and moon will summon a strange thing from beyond the stars that communicates in pain. To avoid attracting its attention, the battlers must use non-damaging moves for as long as the eclipse is in play.

- New moon: The arena is thrown into pitch blackness, afflicting every sight-reliant Pokemon with -2 accuracy. Pokemon are much more likely to be startled when confronted, so that every damaging move with no other effect has a 10% chance to cause flinching.

The battle begins with a crescent moon, and at the end of every round the moon will change to one of the above conditions at random. Also, Cresselia and Darkrai are duking it out above the courtyard, and at the end of every round (but before the moon changes) there is a 50% chance that one of them will have a move misfire, striking one of the battlers. (They aren't affected by the lunar eclipse stage.) Bad Dreams is not considered to be in effect for this battle.

I am sadness about challenge board backlog :C So I'll postpone my reftirement for some other time and pick this one up.

I'll accept this :)

And I'll ref! Thread up in a jiffy.

Format: 3 vs. 3 Singles
DQ time: Seven Days
No-no Moves: OHKOes (including Perish Song), Attract, Super Fang, Endeavor. Chills limited to 3 per pokémon. Direct Healing (including Pain Split) limited to one / team.
Arena: The Inside Out Planet at the Center of the Earth

Since the dawn of science, we humans have wondered what lies beneath the thick crusts of solid rock and heavy coats of salty waters that cover our unique home, the Earth. Conservative scientists believe to have figured it all out, that only boiling hot magma stemming from an approximately endless chain of chemical reactions is all that goes on under our feet.

They would be right, except they're wrong.

Embark with me on a funkytastic adventure to discover the magical ecosystem that exists at the very center of the Earth, defying both known science and common sense.

It is a would-be empty sphere, inside which blooms a world of funkiness and wonders, lightened up by multicolored plants of abnormal height and size, feeding off the heat of the magma and giving off kaleidoscopic lights produced by bioluminescence defying the laws of nature. The gravity seems to go outwards, meaning the fighters will always be on safe grounds unless they jump or fly high enough to reach the floor above, which is about fifty kilometers away so don't try that.

What is most interesting about this place, however, is how unconnected it has stayed from the surface. Thus, evolution took an entirely different path, because it had other elements to play with. This makes everything in the Inside Out Planet a little different.

The battle takes place is near a large lake of violet water surrounded by turquoise plantlife. A ragged path of white and cyan rocks leads to a volcano of the same colors in the distance.

The violet water is imbued with unknown characteristics, and every round spent in it will raise a stat by one stage and lower another by one stage, each one at random, except the effect can't nullify itself. Hitting a pokémon with this water (by Surf, for example) will risk (30% chance) affecting the hit pokémon the same way.

The turquoise plantlife is animated by a mysterious life, and entering in contact with it (either voluntarily or from the effects of a move, like razor leaf) will leave a thin film of its bioluminescent sap on the pokémon. The sap slows the pokémon down (-2 to speed) but grants the ability Illuminate and restores the health of grass-type pokémon by 1% each action. It also attracts local insect life, and a pokémon covered in turquoise sap risks (30% chance) taking 2% bug-type damage at the end each round, unless it finds a way to repel them. It can be washed away fairly easily, though.

The white rocks are sharp, pointy and covered in a fine glittery powder. Entering in contact with them (either by accident or from a move like rock throw) will cause an additional 2% fairy-typed damage and may (15% chance) grant the ability Pixilate.

What is most interesting here though is the wildlife. Pokémon have evolved in a completely different way, though it is possible to use a Pokédex and identify their types. For now, all we see are enormous, long necked mammals foraging the depths of the violet lake, along with their careless youngs. They might attack if provoked, but for now they seem peaceful. Our pokédex tells us they are Water / Normal -types, so the moves they use are to be of those types.

To the referee: The rest of the wildlife will show up randomly at the end of the rounds and through the sole imagination of the referee. They have to be fairly expansive in their description, but the battlers may use it as they see fit. As with the long-necked mammals, they have a known type and might use attacks of this type that fits with their physique. They can have very funky effects such as granting a new ability / type.

BEHOLD THE BATTLE OF THE UNKNOWN

Heh, why not? I'll take this one too. Man, I'm going to be kicking myself in a few days' time...

I'll pick up TruetoCheese vs. Birdy (who's still Superbird on the db, by the by.) Also, I have a slot open and really want to try this, so an open challenge:

Format: 3v3 triple
Style: heartbreakingly chaotic, probably
DQ: 2 weeks
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Super Fang, Perish Song, direct healing except Chill, moves that require nonpresent natural resources
Arena Description: Driftveil Drawbridge. Its attributes aren't anything spectacular, but it will be able to accommodate most first-stage Pokemon; Driftveil authorities have asked that the battlers use only first-stage or non-evolving Pokemon to limit the inevitable damage to the bridge. After adultlike and responsible negotiation with Unovan leaders that did not leverage Asber's reputation for gleeful havoc-wreaking and arena destruction in any way, the bridge will be evacuated and water and air traffic will be barred from passing through on the day of the battle, leaving it open to chaos!

However, the passage of wild Pokemon can't as easily be restricted. Ducklett and Swanna do often pass overhead, as well as the occasional Charizard (don't ask me what they're doing here), resulting in a variety of combat effects. Thus, at the end of each round, one of the following things will happen:

10%: A Charizard flies by and hits every battler for 5% damage.
10%: A Swanna sheds a Muscle Wing, increasing one (random) battler's Attack by two stages for the next round.
10%: A Swanna sheds a Resist Wing, increasing one battler's Defense by two stages for the next round.
10%: A Swanna sheds a Genius Wing, increasing one battler's Special Attack by two stages for the next round.
10%: A Swanna sheds a Clever Wing, increasing one battler's Special Defense by two stages for the next round.
10%: A Swanna sheds a Swift Wing, increasing one battler's Speed by two stages for the next round.
10%: A Swanna sheds an Energy Wing, restoring one battler's energy by 5%.
10%: A Ducklett sheds a Health Wing, restoring one battler's health by 5%.
20%: A Ducklett sheds three Pretty Wings, raising all the stats of three random battlers (excluding Accuracy and Evasion - think Ominous Wind boosts) by one stage. Meanwhile, Charles the heartbreaker rides the wind on the shore and piercingly gazes at the battle with his piercing gaze, lowering the remaining battlers' stats by one stage. If there are fewer than three battlers remaining, each takes one wing and Charles leaves.

Finally, if the drawbridge is damaged, e.g. with area-effect attacks, Clay's Excadrill with infinite experience will immediately interrupt the battle and use Iron Head on the offending battler(s). At the end of the round in which this penalty is activated for the fifth time, the Excadrill will use Iron Head three times on every battler in retaliation before fainting of exhaustion and not interfering again.

Additional Rules: Triple battles restrict the targeting of moves: Pokemon can only target those adjacent to them, barring certain exceptions, meaning that the order in which Pokemon are sent out matters. In addition, Pokemon to the left and right may also shift instead of using a move on their action, resulting in their position being swapped with the Pokemon currently in the center. Shifting has 0 priority and, for ASB, boosts the power of Pursuit. (More on shifting here.) I think that's everything that matters, but the ref and challenge accepter may want to skim the rest of the Triple Battle page just in case.

Last edited:
Format: 2vs2 Singles
Style: Switch
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Direct healing (including Chill), Perish Song
Arena Description: A field
A ordinary field. Nothing is unusual about it.
Additional Rules: Un-evolved Pokemon only

Format: 2vs2 Singles
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Direct healing (including Chill), Perish Song
Arena Description: A field
A ordinary field. Nothing is unusual about it.
Additional Rules: Un-evolved Pokemon only

I'll accept this.

*Waves like a friend you haven't seen in 3 years*

Format: 2v2 Singles
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Direct Healing, Perish Song, 3 Chills/Pokemon
Arena Description: Pokemon Stadium atop a Walmart
A generic, 1000 sq.ft. Pokemon stadium sits atop a Walmart department store. Flying/Levitating Pokemon may fly 50 ft outside the perimeter of the stadium/roof, at which point the hustle and bustle of the surrounding Piggly Wiggly's have created a barrier around the Arena.

*Waves like a friend you haven't seen in 3 years*

Format: 2v2 Singles
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Direct Healing, Perish Song, 3 Chills/Pokemon
Arena Description: Pokemon Stadium atop a Walmart
A generic, 1000 sq.ft. Pokemon stadium sits atop a Walmart department store. Flying/Levitating Pokemon may fly 50 ft outside the perimeter of the stadium/roof, at which point the hustle and bustle of the surrounding Piggly Wiggly's have created a barrier around the Arena.
I need a battle, I can take this challenge :p

I'll pick up TruetoCheese vs. Birdy (who's still Superbird on the db, by the by.) Also, I have a slot open and really want to try this, so an open challenge:

Format: 3v3 triple
Style: heartbreakingly chaotic, probably
DQ: 2 weeks
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Super Fang, Perish Song, direct healing except Chill, moves that require nonpresent natural resources
Arena Description: Driftveil Drawbridge. Its attributes aren't anything spectacular, but it will be able to accommodate most first-stage Pokemon; Driftveil authorities have asked that the battlers use only first-stage or non-evolving Pokemon to limit the inevitable damage to the bridge. After adultlike and responsible negotiation with Unovan leaders that did not leverage Asber's reputation for gleeful havoc-wreaking and arena destruction in any way, the bridge will be evacuated and water and air traffic will be barred from passing through on the day of the battle, leaving it open to chaos!

However, the passage of wild Pokemon can't as easily be restricted. Ducklett and Swanna do often pass overhead, as well as the occasional Charizard (don't ask me what they're doing here), resulting in a variety of combat effects. Thus, at the end of each round, one of the following things will happen:

10%: A Charizard flies by and hits every battler for 5% damage.
10%: A Swanna sheds a Muscle Wing, increasing one (random) battler's Attack by two stages for the next round.
10%: A Swanna sheds a Resist Wing, increasing one battler's Defense by two stages for the next round.
10%: A Swanna sheds a Genius Wing, increasing one battler's Special Attack by two stages for the next round.
10%: A Swanna sheds a Clever Wing, increasing one battler's Special Defense by two stages for the next round.
10%: A Swanna sheds a Swift Wing, increasing one battler's Speed by two stages for the next round.
10%: A Swanna sheds an Energy Wing, restoring one battler's energy by 5%.
10%: A Ducklett sheds a Health Wing, restoring one battler's health by 5%.
20%: A Ducklett sheds three Pretty Wings, raising all the stats of three random battlers (excluding Accuracy and Evasion - think Ominous Wind boosts) by one stage. Meanwhile, Charles the heartbreaker rides the wind on the shore and piercingly gazes at the battle with his piercing gaze, lowering the remaining battlers' stats by one stage. If there are fewer than three battlers remaining, each takes one wing and Charles leaves.

Finally, if the drawbridge is damaged, e.g. with area-effect attacks, Clay's Excadrill with infinite experience will immediately interrupt the battle and use Iron Head on the offending battler(s). At the end of the round in which this penalty is activated for the fifth time, the Excadrill will use Iron Head three times on every battler in retaliation before fainting of exhaustion and not interfering again.

Additional Rules: Triple battles restrict the targeting of moves: Pokemon can only target those adjacent to them, barring certain exceptions, meaning that the order in which Pokemon are sent out matters. In addition, Pokemon to the left and right may also shift instead of using a move on their action, resulting in their position being swapped with the Pokemon currently in the center. Shifting has 0 priority and, for ASB, boosts the power of Pursuit. (More on shifting here.) I think that's everything that matters, but the ref and challenge accepter may want to skim the rest of the Triple Battle page just in case.

I can no longer resist the urge to ref this... RIP my future tournament battle

Arena: Jolly Roger’s Bay/The Belly of the Beast/Davy Jones’s Poop Chute Slip ‘N’ Slide
Format: 3v3 singles
Banned/Restricted Moves/Statuses: OHKOs, infatuation and confusion, direct healing moves restricted to one per team, Chill limited to 3 per Pokémon, Endeavor.

Arena Description:

Arr, me hearties! Welcome to the one and only Jolly Roger’s Bay, the swashbucklin’est place in the Seven Seas. The Pirrrrrate Council has decided to extend an invitation to two lucky Asberrrians to come fight in our lovely trrrade hub. Of course, we recognize the threat Asberrrians pose to our safety, so we took a nice big insurance policy on ourrrr town. We’ve also decided not to evacuate because we’re pirrrates and we love ourselves a good brawl!

The two lucky Trainers will fight on the eponymous Jolly Roger. Its dock has been closed off on all four sides by platforms so all the swashbucklers can see the action. Because of this, the ship’s rocking will be minimal. Remember that the Jolly Roger is made out of wood. Also, attacks that involve earth such as Earthquake and Earth Power won’t be as effective. Rock-typed attacks will work because of the seafloor being littered with rocks.

Be aware, however…

Dangers lurk in Jolly Roger’s Bay.

At the end of the fifth round (or after the ship has been brutally wrecked), Davy Jone’s Beast, better known as Nelly, will eat the boat and the Trainers. Once inside the maw of the Beast, they will fall into the digestive juices which are, incredibly, noncorrosive. A Pokémon can stand in the acid no problem. Near the exit of the stomach there is a garish neon sign that reads, “DAVY JONE’S POOP CHUTE SLIP ‘N’ SLIDE”. At the beginning of the third round inside Nelly, a speaker lodged in her esophagus will announce “LET’S GO ON THE SLIP ‘N’ SLIDE!” The contents of the stomach will empty into the Slip ‘N’ Slide, where Pokémon will still attack as usual. The Trainers will be finally exit Nelly to find that they are suspended in the air; they will begin their descent to Jolly Roger’s Bay and continue their fight in a random spot of the port, with Nelly coming around every fifth round.

Last edited:
My pending battle with pathos has been changed to a 2v2 battle, just fyi. It's been sitting there for about three months, so maybe now it will be more appealing to a ref.

Aww, I so want to take this, but I'm going to have four battles already once the tournament round starts. :C Here's a guarantee that I'll pick this up once one of my other battles ends, if it's still here then.

Format: 3v3 singles-ish. See arena description.
Style: set
DQ: two weeks
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned/Restricted Moves: Super Fang, direct healing, Attract, Teleport. Moves will never inflict confusion.
Arena Description: The Echoing Isles

Three islands, all alike in dignity, in the Fairest Sea we lay our scene. The islands are all identical circles of rocky beaches and dune grass, about 20 meters in diameter, and too far apart for Pokémon to travel quickly between them. The sea is almost eerily calm and open, yet it echoes, allowing battlers on different isles to hear each other clearly.

This leads to some interesting possibilities, to say the least. All 3 of both trainers' Pokémon will be on the field at once, each battling simultaneously on separate islands. Each island is self-contained as far as damage is concerned, but they share weather conditions, and moves that would ordinarily bypass Substitute can be targeted on Pokémon on other islands.

If a Pokémon knocks out its opponent, it will be recalled and sent back out if one of its teammates is knocked out. If both of its teammates are knocked out on the same round, its trainer picks which opponent to fight first.

Trainers will PM their Pokémon to the ref, who will be match them against each other in the order listed.

I'll take that.
I need to ref more and this looks delightfully chaotic, so I'll nab this one!

Ref test battle for Barubu. Needs one mentoring ref and one other battler, as always.

2vs2 Single
Banned Moves: None
Terrain: ASB Central Stadium

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There is one advantage to the stadium, though--its proximity to the holodrome grants it access to a full range of simulation options, allowing trainers to trick out their team to whatever extent they like before battling.

There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Other: This battle takes place between a referee and one other member. The referee will use their own team of Pokémon, but the other battler may choose either to use their own team OR choose any six nonlegendary Pokémon with any items and abilities to use for this fight. In the former case, their Pokémon gain experience as normal. In the latter case, they may choose to apply the experience earned by their rental Pokémon, minus one point, to their team in any manner that they choose.

The prizes for this battle are $20 to the winner, $10 to the loser, and $15 to the referee. This battle does not fill a battle slot for the mentoring referee.

Ref test battle for Barubu. Needs one mentoring ref and one other battler, as always.

2vs2 Single

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There is one advantage to the stadium, though--its proximity to the holodrome grants it access to a full range of simulation options, allowing trainers to trick out their team to whatever extent they like before battling.

There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Other: This battle takes place between a referee and one other member. The referee will use their own team of Pokémon, but the other battler may choose either to use their own team OR choose any six nonlegendary Pokémon with any items and abilities to use for this fight. In the former case, their Pokémon gain experience as normal. In the latter case, they may choose to apply the experience earned by their rental Pokémon, minus one point, to their team in any manner that they choose.

The prizes for this battle are $20 to the winner, $10 to the loser, and $15 to the referee. This battle does not fill a battle slot for the mentoring referee.

Ooh, I wanna mentor!

2vs2 Single

and I'll battle, why not

Back
Top Bottom