• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Couple of Black/White questions

nothing to see here

...probably not posting here too much anymore.
Pronoun
he/him
I'm trying to avoid getting too many spoilers (especially pictures/full stats of new Pokémon, any storyline stuff) before these come out in English, so I'm not even going to risk looking at the main Black/White thread. But there's a few things I was wondering about...

1: Is it true that there are no new evolutions for old Pokémon? I heard this somewhere, and I'm really hoping it's just a dumb rumor (it would mean "Obvious Luvdisc Evolution" actually isn't a Luvdisc evolution, which would be like... making Probopass be completely unrelated to Nosepass... that's just wrong.)

2: Is there any indication at all that the "Isshu = New York" rumor is anything more than a big pile of silly fan speculation caused by the fact that the first thing we saw of the region was a big city with skyscrapers and such? And if the most annoying of the annoying B/W rumors actually is true, do they use a different National Pokédex from the PokéJapan regions, or at least call it the "International Pokédex" or something?

3: How many new Pokémon are there? Don't want to know what they all are just yet, but knowing that the main game will have nothing but new Pokémon and the prerelease stuff showed off around 40 of 'em before the game even came out (which seems like a whole lot compared to how few we knew about from previous generations before their release), I'd like to at know how many to expect.

4: Did they make any Bug, Fighting, or Poison legendaries yet? I think those are the only types we were missing before. Names and types are fine, but don't post pictures of them or any in-depth stat stuff, please--I'm trying to avoid seeing any of the new Pokémon that weren't already revealed before the games came out.

5: Did they make any Bug/Dragon or Fire/Ice-type Pokémon? Those two seem like they'd be by far the hardest type combinations to actually make a decent Pokémon for, so I'm kind of interested in seeing if they even attempted it.

1) No new evolutions of old pokemon, nope.

2) Nope.

3) 207 new pokemon, yup yup.

4) Bug/steel even legend :D Like the deoxys of this gen. Four fighting legendaries - based off the Three Musketeers, supposedly.

5) Nope.

I'm pretty sure some comic thing was called "My new adventure takes place in... New York!?" so yeah, it's New York.

I remember there being 157 new ones, actually, not counting forms or anything. There are about 9000 forms, though.

1. Yep, thank god.

2. Dunno, I've never been to New York. Though it is definitely a huge city.

3. 156, leading to 649 Pokemon total. (Not including formes)

4. One legendary trio are part fighting. The most awesome legendary of the lot is Bug/Steel. No Poison legendaries.

5. Nope. Many people though Ononokusu might have been Bug/Dragon when they first saw it though.

1. I don't know, actually.

2. I heard that that was confirmed, from somewhere... I think it might have been here.

3. I don't care enough to know that, so.

4. Like everyone else has said, fighting trio and bug/steel deoxys thingy

5. no, unfortunately.

It's cute how people keep answering the exact same questions again and again even though that's already been dealt with by the second post in the thread!

To clarify the Isshu=New York thing, it was the cover of a special-edition magazine called Pokémon Peer that had the "the adventure takes place in New York" quote; it was also mentioned in an interview found in said magazine. There doesn't seem to be any word on renaming the national pokédex, though I suppose it isn't impossible; still, this is a fictional world, and it really isn't a crisis if they take one made-up landmass that's based on an actual landmass and shove it a few inches to the right or something. Orre is based primarily on Arizona, after all. (And my state is awesome and deserves its own region anyway, thank you very much. >|)

Something interesting to note relating to your ice/fire comment, though, is that there are two new ice-type moves that can burn and paralyze the opponent, respectively. According to current online pokédex data nothing seems to learn these yet (though I have a few good guesses as to what will--I won't say it since you're trying to avoid spoilers), so I guess we'll only be hearing more about them through events or a third version, but... that's something, I guess?

Last edited:
1.I'm doubting this,because of Buffafro and Mamanbou.

2.IDK

3. There are now 650.(649 without counting Victini)

4.already answered

5.no

1.I'm doubting this,because of Buffafro and Mamanbou.
...the game has been out for over a week. I'm sure by now someone would have figured out if Luvdisc and Tauros were related to Buffafro and Mamanbou.

In short, no, they are not.

3. There are now 650.(649 without counting Victini)
No, its 649 counting Victini. In the Regional Pokedex, Victini is #0, and there are 155 Pokemon in the Pokedex that are numbered.

In short, there are 649 Pokemon, counting Victini.

Guys, Eevee has extracted all the evolution data; we knew by day 2 that nothing got new evolutions. Tauros and Luvdisc do not evolve.

God, people. Don't post just to reaffirm other people's answers to questions that have already been answered! It's a waste of space.

Even more importantly, don't answer questions if you don't actually know the answer for certain yourself. If you haven't looked at all into whether any of the new Pokémon are related to old Pokémon, don't post that you "doubt it" or you "don't know"! Either look into it before you post or don't post an answer at all. Posting answers you aren't 100% sure about is just going to confuse the OP.

Okay, so let's see...

1: No new evolutions of old Pokémon. Which means that the one that screamed "THIS IS DEFINITELY A LUVDISC EVOLUTION!" at the top of its lungs (gills?) is somehow actually not related to Luvdisc, even though its design is basically being a bigger, more detailed Luvdisc that's based on a more impressive-looking type of fish.
I mean, yeah, I don't want everything to evolve or anything, but none at all is kind of ridiculous. It's almost like Mamanbou was designed to be a Luvdisc evolution and then someone decided at the last minute that they really weren't going to have any evolutions of old Pokémon (...even though you can still get old Pokémon through the dream-world thing, so it's not like all of the old Pokémon are impossible to get in Isshu or anything. Which completely kills any sort of reason they could have for not having any new evolved forms, because it would be exactly the same situation as giving Nosepass and Magneton evolved forms that you can only get in Sinnoh. Urrggh.)
The good news is, if none of the new Pokémon are at all related to the old ones, that means they didn't pull another Lickilicky and evolve one of my favorites into something horrible. Or add a ton of crappy and unnecessary baby Pokémon. (Still no stupid pointless Baby Kangaskhan! Woo-hoo!)

2: Seems like the answer to the New York thing is still pretty unclear... a quote on a magazine cover doesn't seem especially convincing to me. Plus, if it really did have all those "!?"s on the end of the quote, it seems like it might even be just a joke on the whole "fans assumed New York because it's a big city" thing.
Still hoping Isshu =/= New York... otherwise this means a really strange retcon to the whole "there's another country named America! See, there's even this Lt. Surge guy who came from there!" thing. And they never changed that even when they randomly stopped making references to any other countries/continents... I'm kind of worried that this is the start of a shift from the "PokéEarth is basically alternate-universe Earth, and the landmasses/countries match up pretty well, if not exactly; the only big difference is that there's Pokémon" type of world that every other main-series Pokémon game had to a "yahoo! let's make up places out of nowhere and slap 'em around on the map like crazy!" type of world.

3: 156 new Pokémon? Wow, that's the most they've ever added in one generation, even including the first one. Didn't quite reach the "high end" of the "how many new Pokémon will they add?" range that I predicted (which was 172), but came pretty damn close.

4: So the only type left without any legendaries is Poison now? Hmm... I would think that'd be an easy one, with all the "if you do bad stuff, you'll bring down plagues" type things in various mythologies around the world. Still, we finally have a legendary Bug, which is always good.

5: And the two hardest type combinations to make are still unused, not really too surprising. Not sure why I asked this question in the first place, really... XD

2: Seems like the answer to the New York thing is still pretty unclear... a quote on a magazine cover doesn't seem especially convincing to me. Plus, if it really did have all those "!?"s on the end of the quote, it seems like it might even be just a joke on the whole "fans assumed New York because it's a big city" thing.
Still hoping Isshu =/= New York...
Erm... it's very official. Sky Arrow Bridge is based on the Brooklyn Bridge in particular. Also note the relative abundance of black people and the American football player trainer archetype.

5: And the two hardest type combinations to make are still unused, not really too surprising. Not sure why I asked this question in the first place, really... XD
Bug/Dragon doesn't seem so hard to me.

Bug/Dragon shoulda been Yanmega's typing. I mean, it's based on a ****ing dragonfly!!

Back
Top Bottom