• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2008

Are you taking part this year?

• Total voters
I might participate or I might not.

Okay, so I could write some sort of a Quest for the Legends spin-off again, but I don't have that much motivation for that, really, because I don't care about those stories like I cared about the Scyther.

I could write my original fantasy novel in Icelandic, but I've been working on it in English writing class, and that kind of disqualifies it from NaNo unless rewriting it in a different language is allowed.

Then I could also just not participate and instead devote myself to trying to write as many words as I can of The Quest for the Legends (or Morphic) within the span of that month.

Hmm.

You should participate again, Butterfree. A Fall of the Leader was great. But I'd rather you didn't do a tQftL spinoff again, and hopefully something in English, so I could read it. :D

I might. I almost did last year but ended up not. So far this year I've been swamped with homework, so we'll see how bad it is in November...

How new of an idea does it have to be? Does it have to be something new you're going to write just for NaNoWriMo, or can it be an idea you've been planning for a while, or even something that you're going to rewrite from scratch? If it has to be something brand new, I might just work on something that's not and try to get 50,000 words during November...

You can come up with the idea whenever you like, although if your attempt is really to be in the "true spirit" of NaNo you just can't write any of the actual story until November starts. You can think about it and take notes on it and stuff starting as early as you want.

They haven't really "banned" working on an older story, .... They suggest against it because it's in the spirit of NaNo. They also say they don't really care if people submit 50000 words of gibberish because it's their problem if they're going to cheat just for a winner's banner. In the end you're only doing it to challenge yourself, whether or not it's "in the spirit of the thing". If you'd feel accomplished finishing your previous story, go for it. :/
Mm, I was just about to say something along these lines. You guys could continue an existing story if you really wanted to - I mean, hey, as long as you're writing; that's really half the point of NaNo - although it will probably feel a lot more exciting and compelling if you're starting with a blank canvas. I think you'd probably be more likely to hit 50k, too.

That said, I may fall back on continuing/rewriting that story of mine that's mentioned in the first post if it comes to that. But it would never make me as happy as writing something fresh from scratch. D:

I really, really want to give it a go because I seriously need to get into the swing of writing; I'm constaly bitching about fanfiction authors not updating and there ebing no new fics while not doing anything about it at all.

The only things stopping me are my legendary poor dedication to things, the fact I have no idea what I'd write about (I have an idea, but streching it out to 50,000 words should be a laugh) and, having just started uni, I have no idea how much work I'll have in November.

I'd really like to, though. And I admire those taking part and those who've done it before hugely :3

Give it a try. When your idea seems to be over, just take your characters and make them do what they would do; it can spin a plot by itself. :3 Plus, it's just fun in general.

And if that doesn't work, and your story is finished before you hit 50,000 words, at least you finished your story. =)

Okay, I decided I'm going to participate this year with Flametail. :3 I have a stupidly long plot that, if I were to write it into a series, would probably be like three books longer than where I currently am in thought planning (which is to say: approximately six books). It's the first time I've actually been even somewhat serious about an original plot, and since I'm considering a career in creative writing, this is definitely a good thing.

And marching band is over very early in November, which means I'll have practically the whole month outside of school to spare (aside from my birthday and the release of Long Shadows, that is)~

Oh god, I really want to try this year. However, my lack of willpower/motivation coupled with an unhealthy dose of self-consciousness is practically asking for disaster. I don't know.

I have an enormous lack of willpower/motivation coupled with an unhealthy dose of self-consciousness, and I managed to win last year. :|

I'd go for it if I were you.

Oh god, I really want to try this year. However, my lack of willpower/motivation coupled with an unhealthy dose of self-consciousness is practically asking for disaster. I don't know.
*Points to self.* And I managed 50k in 2006. 30k last year.

This event is practically made for people like that.

You're surrounded by people all driving for that goal of 50k in various places around the planet, so whether its a case of competitiveness, we're-all-in-this-together mentality, or the guilt and shame of giving up while we're soldiering on, you should be able to draw some motivation from that somehow.

And nobody ever has to read what you write unless you decide to show them, remember. I'm pretty sure that only one or two people have seen what I wrote last year yet.

Nobody IRL even knows I wrote anything last year, and nobody (period) has ever seen my novel. Well, except for the excerpt.

Am I going to participate in something I failed at utterly the year before?

Are you kidding? Of course I am!

It will have been a complete waste of time creating a 2007 folder inside my NaNoWriMo folder if I don't make a 2008 folder, won't it be? I'm not letting such a large amount of time in my life go to waste simply because I didn't persevere in my writing last year. Well, actually, creating a folder doesn't take any more than a minute... but I'm tired of wasting time! Even if it's just a minute!!

Plus, one of my stories that I tried writing before but got absolutely nowhere is begging for an actual attempt at writing it. Absolutely begging. It's been begging for weeks, actually--it wants to be written now. So, because I now have so much actual stuff thought up for it, it gets to be written for NaNoWriMo.

may do this if I can think of something past 'lol superhero'
I'VE JUST HAD THE BESTEST IDEA EVER

Nah, I had this idea, but I'm not sure how far I'll develop it. I only breached 5k last year, and that was close. I will probably do it, it depends on how bored I get.

Back
Top Bottom