• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2008

Are you taking part this year?

• Total voters
Unless Butterfree has stealthily reinstalled the custom BBCode for the bar (which was something along the lines of NaNoWriMo Progress Bar, but I don't recall), that BBCode isn't installed yet and Cryssie is probably using HTML mode in her signature to show that. That was the original way we did it last year until Butterfree made the custom code. You'll have to ask Cryssie for the details on that, since it's a special one either she or her brother made (again, don't recall). You could just do the same with the official ones on the website, though.

Epic profile is epic.

<33 NaNo. I found out about it last year, but it was already halfway through November when I stumbled across a board for it on a forum I visit. *sob* The pain...! *hugs computer* I've waited so long for this, my friend.

*cough* What? Don't look at me like that!

>_>

<_<

A-anyway, my novel has half a plot. I'm intending to let the other magically appear in my mind as I write. Or I could drag out the first part until it's fifty thousand words and hope for the rest of the plot to come during NaNoFiMo. xDx

My horrible, horrible brain isn't letting my drop this terrible plot idea I've had since early September, so I'm guess I'm just gonna have to admit defeat and develop it and see where I go with it. Expecting to fail.

Also, what's the BBCode for getting the little writing meter, like the one Cryssie has in her sig? Didn't Butterfree make a special version exclusive to the forums?
Yeah, like Kratos said, I don't think the BBCode version has been redone on here yet. I'm using my original manual-update javascript version in an HTML sig right now.

I could give you the code but the javascript file is hosted on my own web space and if everybody here started using it and posting everywhere, sometimes several times a page, I have no idea what kind of bandwidth that would eat up. I was given an angry poke by the people who provide my hosting package once for having a topsites listing with the buttons linked to all over the place and using up too much bandwidth. I'd rather not risk that again. :(

I was thinking of making a variation this year, anyway, if I can find the time. I had this awesome idea for my sig and figure that a different kind of bar would work far better for it.

Cryssie, would there be any problem if we hosted the files on our own? I know I could do that (at least for myself). I liked the NaNoBars.

Also I was thinking about writing in FRENCH but I don't think I'll do that because my french isn't all that good.

Cryssie, would there be any problem if we hosted the files on our own? I know I could do that (at least for myself). I liked the NaNoBars.
If you give it to me, I can host it on my school account and let people use it from there, as I'm unaware of any bandwidth limits and wouldn't really care if there were any.

Last edited:
Cryssie, didn't your brother make a dynamically generated NaNo bar last year?

EDIT: Ha, he did, and I still have the link: http://wrimo.hexxeh.net/?uid=107252&showname=0. I'll go make a [nanobar] BBCode out of it.

EDIT2: NaNoWriMo Progress Bar :D

The code is [nanobar]userid[/nanobar]

Last edited:
Cryssie, I would also be willing to host the code - in fact, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me! My own server is just sitting there doing absolutely nothing and could really stand to get some use. :(

Thanks for adding the nanobar code, Butterfree!

My account if anyone wants to add me.
My story is remarkably simial to the one I wrote (read: attempted to write before giving up because being too busy and only got about 1,000 words if that) last year. Except this time I hope it works out.

I have to admit, guys, I'm really daunted by this. By daunted, I mean, overwhelmed and completely shaking just thinking about writing so much.
Yes, I have no excuse- I'm homeschooled, young, and I have so much spare time, and my parents are practically pleading with me to try writing stuff.
I really should, but that is scary. It just is.

Cryssie, didn't your brother make a dynamically generated NaNo bar last year?
Point! You know, I'm not sure why I didn't ask him about that.

EDIT: Ha, he did, and I still have the link: http://wrimo.hexxeh.net/?uid=107252&showname=0. I'll go make a [nanobar] BBCode out of it.

EDIT2: NaNoWriMo Progress Bar :D

The code is [nanobar]userid[/nanobar]
:D!

If you give it to me, I can host it on my school account and let people use it from there, as I'm unaware of any bandwidth limits and wouldn't really care if there were any.
Cryssie, I would also be willing to host the code - in fact, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me! My own server is just sitting there doing absolutely nothing and could really stand to get some use. :(
Feel free, guys. At time of writing, the file is here, and to stick one on a web page, you'd just use:

Code:
<script language="Javascript" src="javascript-file-url-here"></script><script language="Javascript">nanobar(wordcount-goes-here);</script>

Of course, since Butterfree found the auto-updating one (and remade the BBCode version for the forums :D), this seems a bit less useful now, but the option is there.

In other news, I still have no idea what I'm going to be writing. HELP. D:

Surprisingly (stupidly?) enough, I'll be participating this year. My writing's shit and I only have one or two vague plot ideas but hey, I'll never get better without practice! :v
This is me, if you were curious.

Now to decide on what to write, ho-hum. And also decide on a way to write it and make it PG-13 at worst.

I want to participate now but um my laptop is breaking and I don't want to use the desktop because uh.

Jesus told me not to.

My plot keeps running away with me and returning with more ridiculous ideas that won't fuck off. @_@ I now have incredibly annoying all-male triplets (who my MC thinks are probably having hot threesomes with each other, which leads to some awkward moments in PE changing rooms and the like), a metric fuckton of Twilight references ("Are you sure you're not... like... a vampire?" "Does my skin glitter? Really?" "Uh, yeah, it is, actually." "... it's from my cousin's house. Honestly.") and almost unbelievable amounts of gay (my MC already knows he's a fag, but his stalker is a lesbian in denial... long story). |D

SO MUCH JOY~

So guys, what ya'll writing about? :o

Something adveture-ish.

I have tons of ideas already!~

I'll get a progress bar soon-ish... Maybie.

It WILL invove vampires, ect.

Because I'm obsessed.

So little time left to come up with an idea... and all I've really tentatively decided on is that I want it to be more light-hearted than my usual aimlessly angsty fare which depresses me so when I come back to read it afterwards.

This could mean anything from something more along the lines of a traditional party-of-adventurers fantasy to attempted humour. Or both, though that's hardly a fresh idea.

Ohhh boy, this should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom