• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2011

Yeah, um, apparently my main character is having prophetic visions now. I don't even know how that happened but she had a trippy dream sequence where the sky was on fire and the grass was bleeding and then she saw the end of the world.

or it was just a dream.

Ahahaha that's awesome. Just saying.

Hey, guys! On that note, has anyone suddenly had some strange development in their story? Or have you started Googling strange/interesting things?

I spent a lot of time yesterday looking up controversial/banned children's books, and today I had to check if there was actually a children's version of the Communist Manifesto. My nano is shaping up to be a totally normal experience..........

I haven't even introduced one of my characters yet, and I'm already planning to have him commit suicide later. I have no idea where the plan came from, but that's what's going to happen now. Unless something changes later on.

Hey, guys! On that note, has anyone suddenly had some strange development in their story? Or have you started Googling strange/interesting things?

I spent a lot of time yesterday looking up controversial/banned children's books, and today I had to check if there was actually a children's version of the Communist Manifesto. My nano is shaping up to be a totally normal experience..........
I spent half an hour looking up historical lubricants.... Like, not the sexy kind.

I think my story isn't going to end up with a happy ending.

I've been considering doing something deliberately so that it would turn out to be that way, just because no one ever writes sad endings where the hero doesn't win, but this...the story might spiral into this.

I want to see how it turns out.

And I'm using the characters' thoughts as my substitute for poor planning having them think about the future. I'm informing myself of it though their thoughts. Is this a bad habit?

I am so happy I am basing mine off a DnD game I've really played. It's literally my old character from the game we played once a week for almost two years. So the story is already set up.

Oh crap, I haven't written for over 24 hours and I feel incredibly out of the loop ahaha!

I have an idea for what should happen next/soon. But I don't want to write it yet... because (blame my silly superstitions or whatnot) I want to make sure the real-life event it's based off of turns out okay before I write about a fantasy version turning out badly. xD;

Help! I'm having trouble writing a scene. It's hard because one of my characters is hurt in a car accident, and the character is based off of a real-life person, and I'm having issues writing about that person getting hurt and describing it. =[

Maybe this is why I shouldn't write characters based so heavily off real people... but even if it was completely my own character, I think I would still be queasy about describing their injuries and pain. Help?

Well, you probably shouldn't have written yourself into something you're not comfortable discussing anyway, but - if it's really upsetting you, gloss over it as best you can and move on with your story. You can always come back to it when you're feeling more ready to write it.

There are two things you can do, really: push through and just write it so you're done with it, or ignore it and come back to it later. The former isn't really in the spirit of NaNo because it's going to be fairly slow going if you really don't want to write it, so what I'd suggest is that you just ignore it for a little while.

I had a scene where not much happens except some character-exposition-stuff that's important but sort of boring, so I got the bare bones of it down then skipped ahead a bit, and when I was bored and done with the wordcount for the day I came back to it and finished it up.

In other news Alex has apparently morphed into some sort of super-capable supernatural creature fighter. Um. She's supposed to be reluctant and a bit shit until at least the second book. ; ; Although the whole way guardians work is instinctive, so I think I can pull off her being reluctant and not very good with her magic unless instincts take over if I need to. Damn Alex.

Hmm, okay. I figured out how to gloss over it; I switched the perspective from the witness's perspective to the victim's perspective, so now the scene ends when she blacks out. It'll be easier to write the witness's perspective later... thanks guys!

I'm at about 8000 words right now. I wish I was a little more caught up, but I should have a good amount of downtime tomorrow, maybe.

The main character is currently running down a mountain fleeing a dragon... this might get interesting.

Alex is still a super capable fighter of supernatural beings. She's meant to be reluctant. I guess she can be both for now? ;;

idk but I have passed 13k! yay! I feel like this is some sort of accomplishment somehow.

Word war has been updated (finally!).

People should not be giving up now. Now is the time when it's hardest, I feel. The second week. Once that's over, I think it's much easier to go on. So don't give up, people. Even if you're still behind, there's time to catch up! You can do it!

...and I met my 15,000. fwee!

I'm not even at 10k yet aaaagh I've just sort of lost interest in what I was writing, even though I'm hardly at the first major event. I'm not sure what my protagonist's personality is supposed to be, the worldbuilding I thought I did was completely crap, I can't find the motivation to write and aaagh what am I doing.

EDIT: though I find this to be helpful. Since half an hour ago when I posted, I've already added a good chunk of words to my count because of it :o

Last edited:
gogogooooooo!!!!

I just wrote a scene where Alex punches through a prevampire's chest. She like. She's all "oh, shit, I wish I had a crossbow/stake/something" and then she's like "oh, wait, I'm basically invulnerable and super strong" so she just punches it through its chest.

:D

Haha. My charming story actually raises an interesting moral dilema. I'm impressed with whatever fucked-up part of my brain generates ideas. I'm going to call it Charlie.

OK I actually did write something during my computerless trip now I just have to finish typing it. And write more because I'm way behind schedule. My characters keep going off on random tangents, which is good for the word count, but not the story.

Back
Top Bottom