• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Obsessive Scribblers~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danni improves!

The coloring definitely improved, and Zelos no longer has an awkward arm. I like his expression better in the first picture though, mainly because he seems more surprised... But his clothes improved, too, by a lot. And the hand, too.

Hehe, thankyee. I debated keeping the o.o expression (which I agree would've worked better, especially since that's Osaka's facial expression when that moment (lifting one pigtail and the other goes up too) happens in Azumanga), but I'm playing around with realism at the moment.

And the haaaand I love you for mentioning it <3

L'il Dwagie:

Love your avatar, by the way.

^^;

And Flazeah's Umbreon is adorable~ Best of luck colouring/shading it; colouring with black is a bit of a pain, but it always looks really impressive if it's done well :)

And I know nothing about Fable, but Ice's comic amused me. Especially because I thought Jeeves was Hitler at first XD

I drew a really, really cool picture in biro on the back of our pub quiz sheet when we went out to the bar tonight, but then it was marked, handed in and I never saw it again ;;

I drew a really, really cool picture in biro on the back of our pub quiz sheet when we went out to the bar tonight, but then it was marked, handed in and I never saw it again ;;
I once drew a picture for a History project that had Jesus with like flowers and birds and stuff talking to an arrow-riddled St. Sebastian. Jesus was saying 'I died for your sins! :)' and Sebastian was shrugging and all like 'I'm just kinky.' It went pretty well with the overall tone of the rest of the project and I hoped it'd contribute to my grade.
I got a 9.5/10 and never saw the picture again. Sweet.

Also reminder that I posted a huge comment on the previous page. Because no one reads the last comment on the previous page and I spent like thirty minutes on it ):

Nice, nice, good impression of 'science.' Any special reason behind it being a lizard?
I really like the muscle part for some reason, looking good. I think you have good chances of winning this, best of luck!

Well, I was thinking about the whole "unraveling into DNA" thing, and my first thought was for it to be some kind of reptile, simply because they feel more science-y to me than other things for some reason. At first I thought of a snake, but I thought a snake's design was too simple and boring; then I thought of a Chinese-style dragon, but those were too fictional. A lizard just seemed perfect. Incidentally, this wasn't made specifically for the contest; I had the idea and had it sketched out for a long time, but when my teacher told me about the contest that gave me the initiative to finish it. :V

By the way, I placed third. My friend got first and the aforementioned exchange student got second. I get a trophy, but it's been put in the school's trophy case until some specific date where I'm supposed to get it to take home. stupid school hogging my bronze glory mumblemumble

I really like that the expression on that full-body doodle of Marquis de Sade. I don't really know who any of the other people are besides Putin, but it's all looking good!

pcbby is cool for drawing Pokemon NPC's. They need more love. :[ Palmer either has a very long neck, shoulders that are too thin, or both, but the face and the shading are both good. Winona's body is good, but the legs are kind of weird. This might be stuff you already know, though. :V

I promise I'll post more art sometime in the next couple days.

Sorry for the postninja, VPLJ; I swear I didn't mean to ):

The Love, Etc. pic is very, very cool. You're good at your digital art, but still improving very much with traditional materials, too. I always find pink a horrible colour to shade with, but everything looks great here; the heart on his jumper and his hands look especially cool, and the only crit I can think of is that his eyelids are slightly different shapes/lengths.
The Gobbels chibis are adorable, but my favourite one is the one at the bottom where he's streching, because it's a really good mix between chibism and realism and is adorable while still obviously being Gobbels.
YAY for nipple-pinching! Uh, yeah.
The portriats of Sade are really good, and I envy your ability to draw frilly clothes (If I could do that, drawing Edgeworth would be one helluva lot easier), and the chibi version is fantastic. In the picture where he's facing us, his eyes look a little close together, but I have no idea what the actual person looks like, so that might just make him look more like he's supposed to.
The fourth panel in the comic is absolutely hilarious X3 I also enjoyed "She is a voman! I have standards!".
Epic stuff.

Seconded on the appreciation of the Pokemon NPCs, especially Winona, because she's one of my all-time favourite Gym Leaders :) Her legs are little off, but not massively so, and her hair and helmet are perfect :3

WELL DONE Spaekle in the art competition~~ Third's still pretty amazing and you should post a picture of your trophy when your school actually gets around to giving it to you.

They needs more lovesss! Plus, I'm learning new things. I was pretty surprised that those weird purple things coming out of Winona's helmet was her hair. Also, self, I think Palmer looks too nice.

Also. Vladimir Putin x Anderson Cooper. Oh God I watch CNN and then I'll see Cooper and ahhhh the images.

I-is it wrong that I thought the man in the first comic was Hitler at first? Been fueling my Nazi kink too much lately, I suppose.

Especially because I thought Jeeves was Hitler at first XD
Why does my stereotypical Butler person remind everyone of Hitler ;-;?

I think that while the action is well expressed, the joke could be better if you set up the punchline more... dynamically. This way, it looks more like it'll be continued in an upcoming page. I'd probably have done it with the characters in the same space and viwed in the same angle and then with the hammer-character pausing between panels two and three before very violently (some action lines, perhaps) smashing the other guy's skulls in. Another little pause and then a little yoink! with a puff of smoke or something.
That's a much better way of doing it, I must admit. If I ever get around to remaking it (in several decades), I'll try that ^_^

Panelling is nicer when the panels are spaced as opposed to pretty much glued together or divided like that, just a thought.
Yeah, I started doing that at one point, but it got to be an annoyance to measure the spacing and it shrunk my drawing space Dx

Maybe you should think about computer-lettering your comics? I'm sorry, but you have quite a harsh handwriting and computer-lettering might make it easier on the eyes. I should know, my own writing is piss-poor and I try not to make people read it unless it's in the Krappy Komix series :v
Yeah, I'll admit that my handwriting is -terrible-. I'll do that from now on ^_^

Also more stuff (&self improvement :D)
Ice and GF0: Do not want
Ice the Cat: Page 6

Ice and GF0: Objection: Original
Ice and GF0: Objection: remade

Last edited:
Their expressions seem quite similar... is it intentional? I don't know the character in the first picture, but he looks pretty cool. Winona doesn't look half bad (womanly hips~) but her left leg seems to be in a spot of trouble again. It couldn't really be bent towards us unless she has hidden contortionist talents.
Oh man I'd pay good money to be able to twist my body in weird ways or at least be double-jointed, it looks sweet.

Spaekle, congratulations on placing! Third's a good position, in my opinion. i hope you beat that kazakh up good
I really like that the expression on that full-body doodle of Marquis de Sade. I don't really know who any of the other people are besides Putin, but it's all looking good!
Teehee, thank you <3 I should draw more Marquis, or at least more late 18th, early 19th century people because goddamn those clothes are awesome. If I ever get rich and famous I'll replace all my clothing with things from that time and people will have to write it down to 'excentric'.
The other guys are:
Dr. Paul Joseph Goebbels, Minister of Propaganda under Hitler. I love drawing this guy because even though he obviously had issues and was a little ball of hate, he makes me laugh. I just can't take him seriously, no matter what horrible speech of his I listen to. It's probably a combination of his MANLY PHYSIQUE (1,54m for 45kg, with an added fucked up right leg), his huge doe-eyes and his emo, closeted attitude. Aw.
The one being molested by Putin is Anderson Cooper, who is absolutely gorgeous even though he has a weird laugh. He's a reporter for CNN.
The others are characters of mine and thus of no importance.

Sorry for the postninja, VPLJ; I swear I didn't mean to ):
Lies

The Love, Etc. pic is very, very cool. You're good at your digital art, but still improving very much with traditional materials, too. I always find pink a horrible colour to shade with, but everything looks great here; the heart on his jumper and his hands look especially cool, and the only crit I can think of is that his eyelids are slightly different shapes/lengths.
Yeah, his eyes do look a bit wonky. I can probably rectify that.
I wish I'd shaded under the heart to show it's not part of his sweatervest, but I do like the heart itself and his hands. He's cute, tee hee.

The Gobbels chibis are adorable, but my favourite one is the one at the bottom where he's streching, because it's a really good mix between chibism and realism and is adorable while still obviously being Gobbels.
Thank you, I think I'll draw more Goebbelses from now on. He's a lot of fun to do since he's basically a living cartoon.

YAY for nipple-pinching! Uh, yeah.
*wiggles eyebrows*

The portriats of Sade are really good, and I envy your ability to draw frilly clothes (If I could do that, drawing Edgeworth would be one helluva lot easier), and the chibi version is fantastic. In the picture where he's facing us, his eyes look a little close together, but I have no idea what the actual person looks like, so that might just make him look more like he's supposed to.
Thank you! You're right, his eyes do look a bit too close together. I have some trouble since I basically have to make up what his front-view would look like since the only picture ever drawn of him is in profile ):<

The fourth panel in the comic is absolutely hilarious X3 I also enjoyed "She is a voman! I have standards!".
I'm glad you found it funny. These always seem histerically funny when I draw them in the early morning and minutes after I post them I realize they're shit :v

Also. Vladimir Putin x Anderson Cooper. Oh God I watch CNN and then I'll see Cooper and ahhhh the images.
Again, be glad I can't upload my horrific Putin/Cooper/Rahm picture, then you'd really be scarred for life. I am, and I drew it.

Haha, the first one made me giggle. It's a pretty good delivery of the joke, well done! I also like the snail's expression.
Explosions are kind of a pain. It helps to do lots of cross-hatching around the edges of the smoke clouds, makes them look nice and burn-y(?).

There is a marked improvement in the second one, good job. I think the bottom panel could still benefit from more action or movement, it looks very still. GF0's body is in a strange position too, unless I'm not getting your perspective.

Okey-dooks:
New dA ID. I would look exactly like this if my father let me cut my hair properly. The second I go to college I'm chopping it off.
Also, I've just bought an omnibus of Jeeves & Wooster stories from my local Waterstone's, so you can probably expect fan art when I'm done reading it.
I wish I could watch the episodes of the series online. A funny show about a super-intelligent manservant and his upper-class twit boss' super adventures, with Jeeves played by Stephen Fry and Wooster by Hugh Laurie, the whole situated in the late 19th century, early 20th, and everything doused with homosexual subtext?
This thing was made for me.

Oh and since I'm getting back into Alan Partridge and Are You Being Served? I'll probably do some fan art for that too.

Last edited:
Their expressions seem quite similar... is it intentional? I don't know the character in the first picture, but he looks pretty cool. Winona doesn't look half bad (womanly hips~) but her left leg seems to be in a spot of trouble again. It couldn't really be bent towards us unless she has hidden contortionist talents.
Oh man I'd pay good money to be able to twist my body in weird ways or at least be double-jointed, it looks sweet.

I like to call it 'Generic Expression' : D

Ah, you have a point. DX aahhhh I always mess up with the legs. Thanks!

Woot, I've finished my picture of me *people cheer because they finally know generally what I look like*.

But my slow computer needs to scan and upload it first... *people groan*

Edit:

http://eeveeskitty.deviantart.com/art/Cathy-and-the-Cat-115758201

Looky! The colouring is messy and you can still see the pencil marks but ES doesn't have time to colour well and get rid of annoying pencil marks, ES has homework to do and school tomorrow.

Last edited:
You know what's a pain?

Typography, that's what. Are any of you guys familiar with how to do it well? If so, pointers? We had to do a Typography by hand project, and mine sort of sucks.

I've seen Typography before, but never done it because it looks hard. Yours looks really good, though, so I don't know what you're complaining about :)

Woot, I've finished my picture of me *people cheer because they finally know generally what I look like*.

*cheer* Yay! Oh, the rainbow dress is very, very cool. And even though I know you have dark hair, I still expect you to be blonde because of your avvie X3

But my slow computer needs to scan and upload it first... *people groan*

Edit:

Looky! The colouring is messy and you can still see the pencil marks but ES doesn't have time to colour well and get rid of annoying pencil marks, ES has homework to do and school tomorrow.
Oh awesome. It won't be long before I can do a group picture :D
Let's see, I can do me, Kai, Danni, Ice Tiger, EeveeSkitty, Spoon and Crazy Linoone. Any other OSers want to put forward themselves so I don't end up omitting them :D?

There is a marked improvement in the second one, good job. I think the bottom panel could still benefit from more action or movement, it looks very still. GF0's body is in a strange position too, unless I'm not getting your perspective.
He's supposed to be "shunpo-ing" (lolbleach) behind Ice, so he's pretty much flying through the air. I hadn't noticed that the way I drew it might make it look like GF0 was just pulling my head down xD

Last two pages of both for the moment. Something completely new next (once I get more fineliners ffs Dx)
Ice and GF0: You don't want to know
Ice the Cat: Manga: Page 7

First group pic I will be in!

And yeah, my avatar tends to confuzzle people...maybe I should draw a decent avatar picture that looks like me but is not made of fail colouring like that picture is~

You know what's a pain?

Typography, that's what. Are any of you guys familiar with how to do it well? If so, pointers? We had to do a Typography by hand project, and mine sort of sucks.
OOOH OOOH OOOOH PICK MEEEEEEE
I had to make up my own sort of typography; the second years in my tech class had to do something similar to what you're doing.
I haven't tried just for practice yet, but yours does look awesome, especially compared to some of the people in my class.
And they weren't even doing it by hand.

Re: Group picture:
Yeah, I wanna be in it. I'll have a ref of myself up when I can get it.

Re: Re: Group picture:
Kinda doing one myself, although it's not exactly a solid picture; it's a comic thing. I figured I'd include the OS since there's mostly awesome people in it.
Although it's centered around me. >>

I haven't been here in AAAAGES, but oooh, I want to be in the Group Picture please~

Sorry about not posting or checking here... a combination of homework and laziness. DX Not really in the mood to comment on anyone's pictures right now. (but I promise I will later!) However I do have a picture that I've drawn. Here it is, it's of me~

Inactive Lett should check this place more often.

You know what's a pain?

That is really neat. :3 Typography is hard. It's fun, though. I really hate printing: I can never get a nice even coating of ink and I get light-headed quickly....

YEAH SO I am totally late to the party, I know, but! help I doodle on the computer a lot and usually no one ever tells me what I'm doing right or wrong /)_(\ And I feel bad for just dropping in and saying HELP but egh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom