• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Referee Headquarters

I would like to audition for novice referee rank, please.

4 vs. 4
Single battle
Disqualification: 7 Days
Restrictions: No OHKO Moves, Direct Recovery Moves, Substitute, Weather Moves or Pain Split. Choice of Pokemon to be PMed to referee.
Damage Cap: 30%
Arena: Generic Forest Area
Description: Lofty trees circle a small clearing littered with rocks, bushes and other items to hide behind. The trees cannot be touched (MAGIC POWA) and are too high to climb. All Grass type moves act as if they have a +1 boost on them (Atk or Sp.Atk) and Solarbeam needs no charge.
Bay Alexison:

Cyrus the Salamence

salamence
[M | Intimidate]
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Stats: Un-messed-with.
Commands: Dragon Dance ~ Thunder Fang ~ Flamethrower

Iento:

Twitch the Yanmega

yanmega

[M | Speed Boost]
Stats: -1 ATK

Commands: Psych Up ~ Double Team ~ Night Slash

The referee enters the arena with a flash. Due to the trees not being touchable, it took him a while to figure out how to get in. He ended up getting a weird little girl to teleport him in with her Abra. Strange world. Meanwhile, both of the trainers are standing on opposite sides of the field, waiting for him to do something. He sheepishly motions for them to send out their pokemon, which they do: A Salamence from Bay Alexison, and a Yanmega from Iento. The Salamence, named Cyrus, comes onto the field staring at the Yanmega, Twitch, with his mouth open. Twitch seemed rather frightened of this. Of course, a Salamence with it's mouth open is a frightening thing. Listening to his trainer's commands, Cyrus begins to dance. Not a break dance: Not a square dance: No, it isn't even a dragon dance- wait, yes it is. It's a dragon dance. A move that allows one to summon forces from beyond the dawn of time through the medium of the art of movement, Cyrus can feel himself becoming lighter and stronger by the second. Twitch, sensing that it's probably a good moment, taps into his subconscious mind to imitate the changes that Cyrus had made to his. He grins, or at least grins as much as a Yanmega could, and felt his confidence growing by the second.

He's so happy about this that he doesn't notice Cyrus channeling his energy into electricity, and the electricity into his fangs, until it's too late to dodge. Cyrus charges at him as fast as he can, and Twitch attempts and fails to dodge him sinking his fangs into his carapace. Both of them wince, Twitch thinking “Owwmyoww” and Cyrus thinking “That does NOT taste like chicken.” After Cyrus let's him go, spitting blood out of his mouth and angrily muttering about bug juice, Twitch makes a quick decision that if he's going to survive this battle for much longer he needs to avoid taking another hit like that, or, more preferably, another hit at all. He than begins to fly around rapidly, leaving an insubstantial copy of himself behind him, with the obvious intention of causing Cyrus to waste an attack on the wrong one.

Cyrus, who is at the moment watching this, is beginning to get dizzy. In an attempt to make the darned thing stop running circles around the battlefield, he focuses his large supply of elemental energy into his throat to shoot a relatively large jet of fire out of his mouth, getting lucky and managing to scorch the real Twitch. Annoyed, and realizing that now Cyrus knows which one is real, Twitch lets the double team disappear. Twitch, furious at Cyrus for burning him, flies out of sight so fast that Cyrus doesn't see him leave. He than sneaks up from behind the confounded beast while it's wondering what happened, and strikes him with his... Wings? Yeah, wings. His wings. Because he totally has sharp wings. Yeah. He than buzzes away from the Salamence, feeling incredibly satisfied, and, since he was accelerating all through the round, much faster than before, likely even fast enough to out speed Cyrus.

Bay Alexison:

Cyrus the Salamence

salamence

[M | Intimidate]
Health: 92%
Energy: 89%
Stats: +1 Speed, +1 Attack

Iento:

Twitch the Yanmega

yanmega

[M | Speed Boost]
Health: 72%
Energy: 90%
Stats: +2 Speed.
Next turn Iento orders first, and Bay orders after him.
Dragon Dance took 1% (3-1-1) energy.
Psych Up took 4% (5-1) energy. It canceled out the effect of Intimidate.
Thunder fang did 13% (6+1*1.5+2) damage, and took 5% (4+1-1+1) energy. It failed to paralyze or to cause Twitch to flinch.
Double Team took 2% (1+1) energy. Without further specifications, I assumed that it was one clone.
Flamethrower did 15% (9+1*1.5) damage, and took 5% (4+2-1) energy. It also hit through the double team. It didn't burn Twitch, though.
Night Slash did 8% (7+1) damage, and took 4% (4+1-1) energy.
Thunder Fang's result was 12.5 damage, so I used the damage/energy calculator. It decided to round up.​

Last edited:
I would like to attempt the novice level mock please.
4 vs. 4
Single battle
Restrictions: No OHKO Moves, Direct Recovery Moves, Substitute, Weather Moves or Pain Split. Choice of Pokemon to be PMed to referee.
Description: Lofty trees circle a small clearing littered with rocks, bushes and other items to hide behind. The trees cannot be touched (MAGIC POWA) and are too high to climb. All Grass type moves at as if they have a +1 boost on them (Atk or Sp.Atk) and Solarbeam needs no charge.

The two trainers decide to take a break from there forest walk in this small clearing they simultaneously reach for and throw out two pokéballs, the flashes of light fade revealing a male Salamence called Cyrus on bays side and a male Yanmega called Twitch flying in front of Iento. The Yanmega feels a little scared as he sees the intimidating Salamence roaring and flapping his wings.

Before round stats

Bay Alexison

[Cyrus] Salamence (Male)
Ability: Intimidate

Iento

[Twitch] Yanmega (Male)
Ability: Speed Boost

Round 1

Mere seconds after the flags are waved Cyrus begins to twist and coil in an impressive dragon dance as it ends he feels the dragon energy infusing his muscles with more power and speed, seeing this and deciding he would like a boost as well if he's going to have to fight that monster, Twitch links his mind with Cyrus' and copies his mental state with psych up he feels the fear fading away as it is replaced by a feeling of power.

Cyrus uses his boosted power to rush over to Twitch and bite down hard with thunder charged fangs, Twitch winces as he feels the power of the bite mixed with the jolt and flinches.

Cyrus then opens his mouth once more this time unleashing a searing flamethrower when the flames fade, Twitch flaps his wings coating himself in darkness before making use of his boosted strength to unleash a fearsome night slash.

Twitch smiles as he boosts his speed, confident he is now faster than his enemy.

End of round stats

Bay Alexison

[Cyrus] Salamence (Male)
Health: 92%
Energy: 88%
Status: Pleased to be of to such a good start, +1 Attack, +1 Speed

Iento

[Twitch] Yanmega (Male)
Health: 77%
Energy: 92%
Status: A bit beaten up, but getting faster, +1 Attack, +2 Speed

Additional comments

Twitch flinched on the second action.
Iento orders first

Calculations

Dragon Dance: 3% energy
Psych up: 4% energy
Thunder fang: 10% health, 4% energy
Flinch: N/A
Flamethrower: 13% health, 5% energy
Night Slash: 8% health, 4% energy

This isn't a big deal to me or anything, since it's mostly my fault, but since my account hasn't been updated into the system yet (meaning my profile is still old style), I'm not getting paid for the reffings I do, correct? Or am I getting paid, and it'll show up once Negrek gets around to putting me into the system? Either way, it doesn't matter to me since I ref for fun anyway. Just wondering.

4 vs. 4
Single battle
Description: Lofty trees circle a small clearing littered with rocks, bushes and other items to hide behind. The trees cannot be touched (MAGIC POWA) and are too high to climb. All Grass type moves at as if they have a +1 boost on them (Atk or Sp.Atk) and Solarbeam needs no charge.

Pre-Round
Two trainers arrive at a forest with humongous trees. The ref signals for the beginning of the battle, and the trainers send out their Pokémon.

Bay Alexison:

[Cyrus] Salamence (M)
Salamence

Iento:

[Twitch] Yanmega (M)
Yanmega

As the ref waves his flags, the trainers shout out commands, and the battle oficially starts. Cyrus does some wierd dance, almost like a war dance, and he feels stronger and faster. Twitch promptly tries to connect his mind with that of his opponent's, and starts feeling the same sensation the dragon was feeling a bit earlier. Now that both have improved stats, they will wreck havoc in that forest in such a manner that not even Terrakion, Virizion and Cobalion will not be able to repair it.
Cyrus: Health-100% Energy-98%
Twitch: Health-100% Energy-96%
Cyrus feels very confident now, and starts to make the fangs in his mouth ripple with electric charge. He then starts flying toward the Yanmega, who is bitten harshly, as confidence radiates from Cyrus. Twitch is angry at the blue dragon, and the dragonfly starts moving at the speed of light, creating 3 identical copies of Twitch.
Cyrus: Health-100% Energy-92%
Twitch: Health-87% Energy-92%
''Let's finish this'' the Salamence thought. He then started summoning fire from deep within himself, and fired it at ine of the Twitches, which disintegrated. Cyrus started swearing at the moment, not noticing that Twitch started moving toward him. The instant Twitch hit Cyrus the swearing turned into squealing, and at that moment the dragonfly felt lighter and faster.
Cyrus: Health-90% Energy-85%
Twitch: Health-80% Energy-86%

Round One End!

Bay Alexison
[Cyrus] Salamence (M)
Salamence
Health: 90%
Energy: 85%

Iento
[Twitch] Yanmega (M)
Yanmega
Health: 80%
Energy: 86%

Notes:
-Double Team generated 3 clones.
-Iento attacks.
-Bay Alexison
- I ref.

4 vs. 4
Single battle

With a mighty roar, a helicopter landed in the Generic Forest Area. Two trainers hopped out of the chopper and ran to opposite sides of the arena. Their eternally grumpy referee stumbled out of the vehicle as well, and reviewed the rules-- a four on four single battle.

After some consideration, Iento tossed out a red and white ball. Out came a humongous dragonfly with large orange eyes. Bay also sent out his Pokemon-- a threatening blue dragon with bright red wings. Iento cringed; he was slightly creeped out by the beast. More than slightly, actually-- completely terrified.

Both trainers issued commands, and the round began.

Bay Alexison (OOOO)
salamence
Cyrus - M - Intimidate
Commands: Dragon Dance/Rock Tomb ~ Thunder Fang ~ Flamethrower

Iento (OOOO)
yanmega
Twitch - M - Speed Boost

Round 1 Start!!

Cyrus began the round with a dance. He closed his eyes and moved his body in an elegant fashion, imitating the graceful moves of a warrior. He let out a triumphant roar and opened his eyes, feeling pumped. Twitch was a bit confused by the ritual, but whatever. What were his orders again? "Psych Up?" Ooooh crap, would he have to link minds with that... lizard thing? He sighed and stared at the beast, as their minds locked. Suddenly, Twitch was feeling very invigorated and menacing. He enthusiastically buzzed at his nemesis, filled with a draconic anger.

Cyrus arched back his neck and let his mouth fill with electricity. Twitch observed the attack. He figured that he could take the hit; after all, he was a badass Salamence! He struck a triumphant pose, with his cephalon posed towards the sky. Cyrus noticed the cocky dragonfly's neck was exposed and lunged.

His fangs sank into the insect with an audible crackle. Twitch lurched backwards, taken off guard by the bite. Maybe he should rethink this whole "dragon" thing? ...nah. Being a dragon is more fun anyway. Once again pumped with wyvern spirit, he ran around in circles at a speed too quick to be seen by the naked eye. When he finally came to a halt, seven identical clones were surrounding him.

Cyrus suddenly found himself overwhelmed. He had to roast somebody... but which one was the real thing? He went up to one of them spewing a stream of fire from his mouth. Unfortunately for him, his target disintegrated on contact with the flames. Cyrus snarled. If that wasn't the real Twitch, where was he?

His question was soon answered with the sound of a blade being sharpened. He cautiously turned around to see Twitch's arm covered in dark-type energy. Twitch sliced at the blue dragon with a maniacal expression on his face. He felt a boost of adrenaline run through his veins as he saw his opponent wince in pain.

The referee pulled out his flags and called for the round to end.

Round 1 End!!

Bay Alexison (OOOO)
salamence
Cyrus - M - Intimidate
Health: 91%
Energy: 85%
Actions: Dragon Dance ~ Thunder Fang ~ Flamethrower

Iento (OOOO)
yanmega
Twitch - M - Speed Boost
Health: 81%
Energy: 81%
Status: "FWEE!!!! IMMA HUGASS WAGON!!!!!! :D" +2 Speed, +1 Attack. Has 7 clones.

Notes:

I was sort of on the fence over whether or not Flamethrower should have been used to destroy all the clones; theoretically you could spray all eight clones with fire. That being said, I decided that since he was not explicitly commanded to do so, and the A&A Guide was a bit vague on the subject, that he would target one clone.
I always envisioned Psych Up as copying the opponent's mental state onto yourself, hence why Twitch was acting all dragon-y. Hopefully this will make the round more interesting to read.
Thunder Fang was a critical hit.
Iento commands first next round.

Last edited:
SomeGuy

Oh, and Negrek? The Altered Origin energy calc says that certain moves, like Protect or Rest, will have to be accounted for by the ref. What exactly does that mean?
As I didn't write that page, I'm not the person to ask. At a guess I'd say it means that the cost of these moves varies depending on the circumstances, and it's up for the referee to account for that: protect costs more if it blocks more powerful attacks, and rest costs more if more health is restored.

The battle description is good.

The number of clones a pokemon produces with double team depends on its speed. An already fairly fast pokemon like yanmega with +1 speed would probably produce around eight.

Given that you obviously know of the AO calculator's existence, I'm surprised you didn't use it. Whatever system you were working off is inferior. Your numbers don't make sense. You have a super effective thunder fang off +1 attack that somehow does less damage than a +1 neutral night slash. A 65-power thunder fang costs the same as a 95-power flamethrower, while a night slash costs less than either of them. It looks like you're pricing non-damaging moves reasonably, but both your damage and energy numbers for the ones that do harm are questionable.

You're just fine on your description; your numbers are just wonky. Fix them and you're fine. Not Approved

Mendatt

In terms of its descriptive qualities, the prose part of your reffing is fine. Mechanically, though, it has problems. You have terrible tense confusion and tend to make basic grammatical mistakes (its/it's, then/than, etc.) which, while they don't make things totally unreadable, do make them rather rough.

Psych up should have copied Cyrus' raised attack in addition to negating intimidate.

If no number of clones is specified, double team makes the maximum possible for the pokemon's speed. For a yanmega with +1 speed, this is about eight.

From your calculations, it looks like you perhaps mixed my scale with the one on Altered Origin's calculator? You should pick one and stick to it; they are not equivalent. Mine always rounds down, so the thunder fang should have done 12% damage (and stat boosts are worth only 1% damage per level) and stat boosts don't affect energy costs.

You're doing okay in all areas, but not quite well enough to make it. I'm actually most worried about the double team/psych up problems because they suggest you don't really understand the way attacks work in ASB/don't have a deep enough knowledge about how some attacks work in general to ref them effectively. The description could definitely use proofreading/cleaning up. Calculations are slightly funky, but you would probably pass if they were your only problem. Not Approved

thunder

Periods are your friend. A paragraph should not be one huge ungodly-long sentence. It's very difficult to read and comprehend your battle description the way you currently have it written. It's also flat--"Twitch boosts his speed" is not an acceptable way to give a description for speed boost triggering.

Your calculations look acceptable, but your description needs a great deal of work. Not Approved

I liek Squirtles

Press enter twice so that there's a blank space between each of your paragraphs. It's difficult to read your reffing when it's all squashed up into a single big block of text. Your battle description is very clunky, and simple spelling and grammatical mistakes don't make it easier on the eyes.

A yanmega should produce more than three clones unless told to make that specific number.

Twitch appears to have taken damage from the flamethrower, despite the fact that it hit a clone. If that's what happened--I'm not sure how you would get 7% damage out of a flamethrower. Twitch's night slash did too much damage, and both it and flamethrower were too expensive.

Both your description and calculations could use work. The problems are about equal, I'd say. You're not really far off getting approved in either area, though. Not Approved

Karkat Vantas

That being said, I decided that since he was not explicitly commanded to do so, and the A&A Guide was a bit vague on the subject, that he would target one clone.
This is the correct way to do it. While flamethrower can be swept around to hit more than one clone, it and other single target attacks should always be directed at a single pokemon unless the person giving commands specifies otherwise.

Where are your energy and damage calculations?

Your battle description is fine, but I want to see your numbers before I make a decision. Post those up and I'll let you know what I think.

Cyrus: Dragon Dance (20pp)
+1atk +1spd
[3e]
Twitch: Psych Up (10pp)
+1atk +1spd
[5e]
Cyrus: Thunder Fang (15pp) (CRIT)
[19h,6e]
Twitch: Double Team (15pp)
95/12.5 = 7-ish
+7 clones
[8e]
Cyrus: Flamethrower (15pp)
miss [6e]
Twitch: Night Slash
[10h,6e]
Speed Boost (+1spd)

Sorry if this is a bit disorganized.

I was using Kratos's scale, btw

Cyrus: Dragon Dance (20pp)
+1atk +1spd
[3e]
Twitch: Psych Up (10pp)
+1atk +1spd
[5e]
Cyrus: Thunder Fang (15pp) (CRIT)
[19h,6e]
Twitch: Double Team (15pp)
95/12.5 = 7-ish
+7 clones
[8e]
Cyrus: Flamethrower (15pp)
miss [6e]
Twitch: Night Slash
[10h,6e]
Speed Boost (+1spd)

Sorry if this is a bit disorganized.

I was using Kratos's scale, btw
It's a little iffy that all three of night slash, flamethrower, and thunder fang would be taking 6% energy, considering how different the three of them are and how widely the damage they dealt varies. You also failed up your subtraction a bit (100 - 10 != 91), but it's not a huge deal. Just be careful in the future. Approved

Gonna try the novice level mock.
3 vs. 3
Single battle
Switch style
Disqualification: 7 days
Restrictions: No OHKOs, no direct healing moves, no Substitute, Protect, Detect or Endure.
Damage Cap: 50%
Arena: Castelia City Park
Description: Castelia City is the hub of the Unova region, and the park in its centre is a spot of relative calm and tranquility. At least, it usually is. Today, two trainers duke it out in front of the huge fountain while a baying crowd urges them on. Clusters of people at each exit from the plaza block any terrestrial exit - the only thing stopping you from flying away is the knowledge that doing so is an extreme dick move.

Rotom

[Bokurano] Rotom (X)
Ability: Levitate
Health: 60%
Energy: 69%
Status: Cutting the wind! (+2 Special Attack, +2 Speed, Toxipoisoned: 2% damage this round, 3% next round)

570.gif

[Tálvon] Zorua (M)
Ability: Illusion
Health: 56%
Energy: 75%
Status: Riding the wind! (-2 Attack, +2 Special Attack, +2 Speed, Burned: 2% damage each round)

After the trainer had issued their commands, and the ref made sure his Gardevoir would protect him should an attack come at him instead of taking another dark pulse, he signaled for the round to begin.

Round _ begins!

Bokurano went first, annoyance filling him due to the previous round. He moved quickly to Tálvon, intending to hit him with his fan-like arms in a rage-filled slap. Unnoticed by Bokurano, however, Tálvon was preparing himself to counter the inevitable hit. As soon as Bokurano hit Tálvon with its annoyance-filled arm thingy, Tálvon immediately lunged himself at Bokurano at a blazing speed and headbutted him. To his astonishment, however, Bokurano didn't even feel it, and just looked at Tálvon oddly, or to most people, even creepier than its usual look.

Still wondering what Tálvon did, Bokurano moved onto the next step of it's master's plan. Eyes glowing with a ghostly aura, it started to manipulate the air in and around the arena. Noticing this, Tálvon decided that he might as well take a break before whatever Bokurano was doing could finish. Stretching out on the ground, he proceeded to clean his slightly matted fur, almost like a domestic cat. No sooner had he finished, however, Bokurano finished what it was doing and began blasting the arena with a great amount of wind, blowing away some bystanders food and almost harming the ref before the Gardevoir could protect him. Even Tálvon was affected by this wind greatly, despite the fact that ghost-like things usually do nothing to him. Even after this, however, Bokurano still felt disappointed as it felt no change in power whatsoever, and so as a result he decided to blast the arena again with the same ghostly wind. This time, some small children where knocked about, the ref's keys to his car were lost, and Tálvon's fur got even more ruffled than it was before he licked it clean. Feeling extremely annoyed with this damn ghost, Tálvon decided it was time to try and scare it back to death. Gathering up energy in his roar, he let out a roar to Bokurano. Most of the bystanders that could hear the roar cringed from it due to its ferocity. Bokurano, however, just continued to look at Tálvon with a neutral look on its face.

End of Round

Rotom

[Bokurano] Rotom (X)
Health: 58%
Energy: 50%
Status: Wondering what this silly Zorua is doing(+2 Special Attack, +2 Speed, Toxipoisoned: 2% damage this round, 3% next round)

570.gif

[Tálvon] Zorua (M)
Health: 31%
Energy: 72%
Status: Hates Bokurano with a passion and is extremely angry at how this round turned out. (-2 Attack, +2 Special Attack, +2 Speed, Burned: 2% damage each round)

Notes:

1. Counter did nothing to Bokurano due to the fact that it is a fighting-type move, and Bokurano is a ghost-type. I still included the calc to show what it would have done, however, and still took out the energy drop.
2. Neither Ominous Wind boosted Bokurano's stats.
3. I gave frustration a base power of 45 since Bokurano was only annoyed, and not really angry.
4. I only gave roar a 10% chance to flinch since Bokurano had hardly any reason to be frightened by Tálvon since Bokurano had the upper hand the entire time.
5. Tálvon didn't get the whole energy regain due to, you know, being blasted by a ghostly wind.
Calcs:

Frustration: 5% damage, 3% energy
Counter: 10% damage, 6% energy (only energy applies, as counter did no damage due to immunity)
Ominous Wind: 9% damage, 8% energy
Chill: +7% energy
Ominous Wind: 9% damage, 8% energy
Roar: 4% energy

Next round:

-processr attacks
-Professor Gary Oak attacks
-I ref

Side note: I use Altered Origin's calc in order to do those calculations, just to make it clear.

Last edited:
3 vs. 3
Single battle
Switch style
Restrictions: No OHKOs, no direct healing moves, no Substitute, Protect, Detect or Endure.
Description: Castelia City is the hub of the Unova region, and the park in its centre is a spot of relative calm and tranquility. At least, it usually is. Today, two trainers duke it out in front of the huge fountain while a baying crowd urges them on. Clusters of people at each exit from the plaza block any terrestrial exit - the only thing stopping you from flying away is the knowledge that doing so is an extreme dick move.

Team Oak
479-frame1.png

[Bokurano] Rotom (X)
<Levitate>
Status: Cutting the wind! (+2 Special Attack, +2 Speed, badly poisoned: 2% damage this round, 3% next round)
Commands: Frustration ~ Ominous Wind ~ Signal Beam/Ominous Wind

Team Process
570-frame1.png

[Tálvon] Zorua (M)
<Illusion>
Status: Riding the wind! (-2 Attack, +2 Special Attack, +2 Speed, Burned: 2% damage each round and damage dealt by physical attacks halved)
Commands: Counter ~ Chill ~ Roar

Round (?) Begins!

The trainers give their commands and Bokurano jumps into action first, propelled by a strong electromagnetic force and his angry desire to take down that gutsy canine. It reaches Tálvon at very high speed and slams him forcefully into the ground. Tálvon, however, was prepared for the attack and immediately retaliates using the energy of Bokurano’s Frustration to deliver a powerful counterattack. However, Bokurano phases into nothingness before the Zorua can hit it, and Tálvon finds himself biting the dust in no time.

Regaining confidence, the Rotom raises up a sinister wind, imbued with ghostly energy. The wind blows away leaves and and papers, before hitting the Zorua painfully, the ghostly energy sering into his skin. Tálvon curls up in a ball to take the attack as various leaves and bushes rot in place around him from the attack’s dark energy. Listening to his trainer, he rests in this position for few minutes, relaxing his muscles.

Seeing his previous attack didn’t do much effect, Bokurano lets out another dark wind, which again forcefully washes away various scraps on the ground and burns Tálvon’s skin, but nothing apart from that. Bokurano, annoyed, sighs. The Zorua finally gets up and bravely facing the electric ghost, howls forcefully. The roar echoes for several seconds and startles Bokurano , but since Tálvon doesn't make any move to abuse this moment of distraction on his part, it calms down as the referee waves his flag to signal the end of the round.

Round (?) End!

Team Oak
479-frame1.png

[Bokurano] Rotom (X)
<Levitate>
Status: Startled but confident. (+2 Special Attack, +2 Speed, badly poisoned: 3% damage this round, 4% next round)

Team Process
570-frame1.png

[Tálvon] Zorua (M)
<Illusion>
Health: 28%
Energy: 73%
Status: Raging. (-2 Attack, +2 Special Attack, +2 Speed, Burned: 2% damage each round and damage dealt by physical attacks halved)

Damage and Energy Calculations

Frustration – 8% damage, 3% energy
Counter – 8% energy
Ominous Wind – 9% damage, 8% energy
Chill – restored 10% energy
Ominous Wind – 9% damage, 8% energy
Roar – 4 % energy

Notes

-Since I didn't know Bokurano's feelings at this point, I set Frustration's power to 70, deducing that it had to be somewhat angry for its trainer to order him that attack.
-Being Ghost-type, Bokurano wasn’t affected by Counter.
-Both Ominous Winds failed to raise stats.
-According to the Attacks Guide, Roar scares the target and prevents it from doing the following move. Since Tálvon used it on the last action, it didn’t do anything.
-Internal Server Errors caused me to take twice as much time to do this.

Arena

-Plants are rotten around Tálvon, where the Ominous Winds hit.

Next Round

-Processr orders first

Last edited:
Let's try this again... Novice mock, here I go.
3 vs. 3
Single battle
Switch style
Pre-Round Stuffs
Professor Gary Oak:
Ooo
rotom
[Bokurano] (⚪)
Status: Cutting the wind! +2 Special Attack, +2 Speed, Badly poisoned: 2% damage this round, 3% next round

processr:
Ooo
zorua
[Tálvon] (♂)
Status: Riding the wind! -2 Attack, +2 Special Attack, +2 Speed, Burned: 2% damage each round

ROUND ? START!

As the round began, Bokurano's annoyance was visible. The previous round had not gone very well for the rotom, and the urge to release all its anger was strong. The ghost narrowed its eyes and focused on its opponent, then lashed out at the zorua. Tálvon resisted the urge to defend himself, instead letting his enemy finish the assault.
Tálvon's Health: 50% (-6)
Bokurano's Energy: 66% (-3)

As soon as Bokurano returned to its initial position, however, he sprang forward and tackled the creature with all his might... or at least attempted to. The zorua growled in frustration as he landed on the ground, having passed right through his target.
Tálvon's Energy: 71% (-4)

Feeling much more confident and more than a little amused, Bokurano turned around and summoned a great gust of ghostly wind. It was quite proud of its eerie ring, a sign that the spirits were quite ready to attack any old zorua.
Tálvon's Health: 41% (-9)
Bokurano's Energy: 58% (-8)

Though he found the pain bearable, Tálvon's recent losses had drained his energy somewhat. Nothing a little nap couldn't fix. The fox laid its head down on its paws and closed its eyes. Soon it'd have to make a move again, but for now resting was more important.
Tálvon's Energy: 81% (+10)

Seeing its opponent relaxing so calmly, Bokurano just knew it had to attack. Since the spirits had failed to strengthen him, he might as well try again. The rotom summoned a chilling breeze once more, and made an honest attempt at smiling when Tálvon jumped up in surprise and horror.
Tálvon's Health: 32% (-9)
Bokurano's Energy: 50% (-8)

Angrily, the zorua rose and opened its mouth, letting loose what was meant to be a fearsome roar at his enemy. But alas- the rotom's repated attacks had had their desired effect; Tálvon was about as intimidating as an igglybuff, and failed to frighten Bokurano.
Tálvon's Energy: 77% (-4)

As the round drew to a close, Bokurano felt an unpleasant nausea come over it. Well, at least it had clearly dominated. Tálvon, on the other hand, was much less satisfied as he winced, the burns he had received still painfully fresh.
Tálvon's Health: 30% (-2)
Bokurano's Health: 58% (-2)

ROUND ? END!
Professor Gary Oak:
Ooo
rotom
[Bokurano] (⚪)
Status: “This is looking a lot better.” Confident. +2 Special Attack, +2 Speed, Badly Poisoned: 2% damage this round, 3% next round

processr:
Ooo
zorua
[Tálvon] (♂)
Health: 30%
Energy: 77%
Status: “Will you stop with that wind!?” Annoyed and hurting. -2 Attack, +2 Special Attack, +2 Speed, Burned: 2% damage each round

Notes:
- the mock did not specify Oak's status, so I assumed it was the same as processr's
- I gave Frustration a base power of 55 due to a combination of Bokurano's attack stat and its slight annoyance
- Tálvon's Counter did no damage due to immunity, but cost energy
- Tálvon's name is annoying due to the accent :P
- Ominous Wind did not raise Bokurano's stats on either action
- Bokurano was not distracted by Roar due to having inflicted severe damage
- processr next

Last edited:
Blinkingsky

Your battle description was okay. A few errors here and there, but overall readable and clear.

Toxic's damage should have increased at the end of the round, and it should have done 3% this round, not 2%. 4% energy is a bit steep for roar--consider that it cost more than frustration (albeit a fairly weak frustration). Counter typically costs energy equal to half the damae that would have been done, so it would have cost 5% in this case. Other than that, your numbers are fine.

Hmm, mostly nitpicky little errors. It's maybe a little borderline, but I think you'll be okay. Approved

Lord of the Fireflies

Your battle description is okay, although you did have some grammar problems and awkwardness ("Seeing his previous attack didn't do much effect" and so on), getting worse as the reffing progressed.

Unlike Blinkingsky, you properly icremented Bokurano's poison damage... but then you took 2% instead of 3% off at the end of the round. 4% for roar is a little much. Other than that, your numbers are fine.

No major issues. Approved

SomeGuy

Your battle description is pretty well done. Things got a bit surreal on the second action, when it was never actually mentioned that ominous wind hit Tavlon, and he didn't seem bothered by it when he went to chill. Other than that, though, good.

Your problems are essentially the same as both the other people who tried out; not taking off the correct amount of damage for poison and not increasing its damage for the next round, roar took too much energy. Counter should have cost 6% energy.

Grf, I feel a little nervous approving you, same as with Blinkingsky. I can't really pass him on good conscience and leave you behind, though. Approved

It's been a long time since I've tried for ref, what the hey. I'll use the Advanced Reffing, but I doubt I'll get above Novice.

2 vs. 2
Single battle
Set style
Restrictions: No OHKOs, no direct healing moves.

processr OO

Linoone
[Procione] Linoone (M)
Pickup
Neoversity Move: Pain Split
Health: 78%
Energy: 87%

Commands: Substitute (25%)~Super Fang~Super Fang

Bobandbill OO

Wigglytuff
[Fury] Wigglytuff (M)
Cute Charm
Neoversity Move: Belly Drum
Health: 98%

Commands: Water Gun~Counter/Chill/Curse~Counter/Chill/Curse

Both Pokemon emerge from the first round of combat without too much damage, eyeing each other angrily. It appears that a fight is not going to be avoided.

Suddenly, without warning, Procione jumps, almost pops, forward. His foe recoils, but instead of attacking, he just sits patiently. Am I being mocked? wonders the Wigglytuff, but when it looks like the trouble is cleared, he gathers saliva in his mouth and spits it in an expert arc into his own eyes, glad that his vision is restored, and well aware of the advantage that could provide in the near future. Why he didn't use the fountain, none will ever know.

Speaking of such a future, Fury's nemesis shuffles awkwardly to the side, and it becomes clear to him what that leap was - the Linoone's substitute jumping in front of its master to cover any attacks that may come his way. Before the revelation can really sink in, the real enemy soars through the newly cleared path, fangs bared. Quickly remembering his orders, the pink fluffball steels himself for the oncoming attack, and just as the teeth are sunk into his side, he lashes out, slamming Procione's skull and knocking the foe nearly senseless on the ground. The victory is not without a price, though: the raccoon's strong jaws tore a wide laceration in Fury, and he's losing more than a little blood.

He's far from out, though, and as he sees his foe getting up, the Wigglytuff again prepares to counter the attack, so as to not suffer the same fate twice. The blood loss is getting to him, though, and as Procione bites down, he's slow to react, hardly more than brushing him off. The second wound isn't nearly as painful as the first, though, and he wonders if it's his own lethargy, or if his opponent feels as weak as he does. The ethereal Linoone doll attempts to rush between them, distraught at his inability to protect his master from assault.

ROUND 2 END

processr OO

Linoone
[Procione] Linoone (M)
Pickup
Health: 3%
Energy: 38%

Status: -1 accuracy, has a 25% sub, super woozy like seriously
Commands used: Substitute (25%)~Super Fang~Super Fang

Bobandbill OO

Wigglytuff
[Fury] Wigglytuff (M)
Cute Charm
Health: 48%
Energy: 52%

Commands used: Water Gun~Counter~Counter

Ref notes:
-Had Linoone missed, Wiggly would have been able to Chill
-I reffed Counter as hitting the Linoone directly because when your fangs are in somebody it's hard to let someone else take the hit.
(If my reasoning doesn't make much sense, I based my reffing on how attacking behind a sub works in-game and the ASB description for Counter)
-I didn't know the reason linoone had minus accuracy, so i let it be.
-First Counter hit the damage cap
-Second Super Fang did too

Calcs:
Substitute: 25% Damage, 12% Energy (Couldn't Miss)
Water gun: 0% Damage, 2% Energy (Accuracy roll 52, needed 75 to miss)
Super Fang: 42% Damage, 31% Energy (Accuracy roll 47, needed 67 to miss)
Counter: 50% Damage, 30% Energy (Accuracy roll 63, needed 100 to miss)
Super Fang: 8% Damage, 6% Energy (Accuracy roll 17, needed 67 to miss)
Counter: 0% Damage, 3% Energy (Accuracy roll 73, needed 100 to miss)

aaaaaand that should do it but i swear i forgot at least a few things.

Last edited:
Applying for Advanced Referee Position.
Mock
3 vs. 3
Single battle
Switch style
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre-round Sound Off
processr
[Procione] Linoone (M)
Linoone
Pickup

Bobandbill
[Fury] Wigglytuff (M)
Wigglytuff
Cute Charm

Round Two

The crowd is trembling with anticipation, as the first blows have been struck and the battle is entering it's height. Procione the Linoone is being incredibly hard on himself for missing and letting his trainer down, so much so that it consumes his thoughts, and is likely to affect his performance. Fury is living up to his name, eyes so red with all-consuming rage (and mud. Let's not forget the mud) that his judgement is likely to be couded, too.

Procione bows his head, concentrates, and suddenly, a second Linoone appears from nowhere. It is an exact replica of Procione, so much so that the crowd is already having trouble telling which one is real and which one is the Substitute. Seeing as well as he can that the despicable Linoone is hiding behind a pathetic copy, Fury sprays water into the air in a fountain, and lifts his head up so that his face is soaked. The spray washes his eyes free of dirt, and he can see again-and his hatred has not washed away like the mud.

Frustration still very much in his mind, Procione loses some of his self-loathing when he sees the look in Fury's eyes. Soon he becomes angry-and determined. The Substitute Procine sprints at the Wigglytuff and leaps, bringing his jaws down upon the creature's head with an incredible Super Fang, the impact resoundng deep into the crowd. Fury's small arms move up to block the blow, but they only deflect the slightest of the damage. Then, adopting a strong stance, he lashes out with all his might-The Substitute is completely destroyed! The less observant of the crowd are shocked, having thought this was the real Procione.

The true Procione sees the look of puzzlement on Fury's face, confused at having it's foe dissipate, and jumps at the chance to catch him unawares. As he sprints for his foe, he sees that the Substitute's attack has really taken it's toll on Fury, and so lessons his own in a bid to save energy. He leaps, but Fury spots him just in time and raises his arms in a block. Though they are not well suited to the task, they miraculously block most of the damage. The Wigglytuff tries to strike back, but is off-balance because of Procione's weight, so the move isn't as powerful as it could be. That said, it still sends Procione flying into the crowd, the fleshy bodies of some scrambling humans cushioning his fall. Procione stumbles of the human, looking surprised that such small arms could pack such a punch.

At this point, the reff blasts his whistle, signalling the round is over and allowing both Pokémon to hobble back to their trainers and await commands. Both appear battered and wrecked, with Fury looking only slightly better off.

[Procione] Linoone (M)
Linoone
Pickup
Health: 28%
Energy: 57%

Team bobandbill
[Fury] Wigglytuff (M)
Wigglytuff
Cute Charm
Health: 48%
Status: Exhausted. -1 accuracy for being enraged at having fallen for the substitute.

Calculations
Substitute cost 12% energy and 25% life. It was destroyed by Fury's counter.
Water Gun cost 2% energy. It did no damage, as it was used to wash mud from Fury's eyes.
The Substitute dealed 45% damage with Super Fang. Fury's Counter deflected 5% of the Super Fang.
The Substitute was destroyed by Fury's 100% (capped to 50%) Counter. The Counter deflected 5% of the Super Fang. Counter cost 25% energy.,
Procione dealed 6% damage with Super Fang, as Fury blocked the attack. It cost him 18 energy.
Fury's Counter delt only 25% damage, as Procione was biting him when he performed the move. It cost him 12% energy.
Cute Charm failed (Rolled a 18, needed 20+ to succeed).

Notes
Procione only dealt 6% damage to Fury because of the damage cap.
Fury only dealt 25% damage to Procione because of the damage cap.
Working on recent information that Counter's energy cost is 50% of the damage that was done/that would have been done, the first Counter cost 25% energy, half of the 50% damage, and the second cost 12%, half of the 25% damage (rounded down).

Up Next
Bobandbill attacks.
Processr attacks.
I reff.

Last edited:
Applying for Advanced. I'm fine if it's only Novice-quality or such. Also I got lazy torward the end.

Restrictions: No OHKOs, no direct healing moves.

Round 1 End!

Team processr
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Linoone
Procione (M)
Ability: Pickup
Commands:

processr said:
fhwofhouwd hax (By the way, Ole_Schooler, I think you got Fury's gender wrong, it's male according to the post when Marcin sent it out. xD; It's a good job I noticed, I was going to use Attract but remembered my disappointment from when the two Pokémon were sent out that they were of the same gender.)
Sucks, Procione, but we just have to get on with it. Let's create a nice big Substitute - 25% should do the trick. Next, uh... Let's just go for a couple of Super Fangs. We shouldn't have to worry too much about a Substitute being created, since damage is still done based on the proper Pokémon's Health. Bit of a cop-out these orders, but eh.

Substitute (25%) ~ Super Fang ~ Super Fang

Bobandbill
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Wigglytuff
Fury (M)
Ability: Cute Charm
Commands:

Bobandbill said:
Ok then, first we'll undo our own accuracy drop by using Water Gun (first gen move wahey!) to wash away the mud!
Then Counter twice, which'd hit regardless of what is our accuracy and all but hey, it might help us later on. If you are allowed, then if either (or both) Super Fang misses go for a Chill instead as you'll be just waiting beforehand to see if they hit or not (unless that counts as a recovery move as they are banned but I doubt that, if so go for Curse instead, again if you are allowed) - it was allowed in another battle but if not then oh well!

Water Gun (to wash eyes from Mud Slap) ~ Counter/Chill/Curse ~ Counter/Chill/Curse

Round 2 Begin!

Procione moved to the center of the park, in a movement not unlike slithering. He began glowing a radiant white, softened, and seemingly took pieces of himself from his body with his paws. A small, similarly glowing glob of energy, was now lying to Procione's right side. Its glow slowly wore off, and began... lengthening. It was now cylinder-shaped, and gradually paws, eyes, and claws appeared on the small copy of Procione. The small likeness of the Linoone crawled onto Procione's face and kissed him on the nose. Fury was tiiiiired of this 'adorable' nonsense. He bounced off with a happy air (no matter how annoyed Wigglytuff are, they always walk happily), and walked by a small fountain with a Pikachu marble statue standing tall in the center of it. He gulped some water, and walked off behind a nearby decorative bush. Fury put his paws in front of his face, and spit water forcefully into his hands. His hands deflected the water (and were now partially soaked), and his hands were aimed to deflect the water into his large eyes. The water hit straight into both eyeballs, and Fury felt cleansed. Satisfied, he walked out from behind the bush to see Procione and the substitute happily hugging each other. "No! This is Procione Jr.," Procione said with a slight smile.

Fury- Health: 98% Energy: 85%
Procione- Health: 53% Energy: 87%
Substitute/'Procione Jr.'- Health: 25%

Procione (closely followed by Procione Jr.) walked on his hind legs alone this time, and snuck up behind Fury's back. He backed up a little, and bared his fangs, and struck. Fury realized in the few seconds before the strike what Procione was doing, and reflexively hopped aside. Fury, filled with fury, hobbled over to a small mossbed, and lie down, resting.

Fury- Health: 98% Energy: 95%
Procione- Health: 53% Energy: 83%
Substitute/'Procione Jr.'- Health: 25%

Meanwhile, Procione and Procione Jr. played around, swimming in the fountain, like parent and son. Procione remembers to try to hit Fury again, and kisses Procione Jr. on the forehead, wading out of the fountain. He runs on all fours to Fury, and stops about four feet away. His fangs glow blood red, and he strikes Fury's belly, leaving bite marks. Fury screams in pain, and Procione Jr. runs in front of his creator. Fury's cheeks turn red in rage, and he bluntly whacks Procione Jr. forcefully. Procione Jr cries, fading away into thin air, eventually there is nothing there but air. Procione, in denial and tears, walks on the spot where Procione Jr. was standing, a few mere minutes before.

Fury- Health: 98% Energy: 30%
Procione- Health: 0% Energy: 57%

Round 2 End!

Team processr
xpqo.png
1imko5.jpg

Linoone
Procione (M)
Health: 0%
Energy: 57%

Team Bobandbill
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Wigglytuff
Fury (M)
Energy: 30%

Damage / Energy Calculations

Damage

-Procione's second Super Fang dealt 49% energy.
-Fury's Counter dealt 73% damage.

Energy

-Fury's Water Gun took 2% energy.
-Procione's first Super Fang took 4% energy.
-Procione's second Super Fang took 29% energy.
-Fury's Counter took 65% energy.

Notes

-Substitute faded.
-Because Fury washed his eyes, I assume that his accuracy is now normal.
-Fury's Water Gun was noted to not be aimed at Procione, so no damage was dealt by Water Gun.
-Procione's first Super Fang missed.

Arena Notes

None.

Next Round

- processr attacks
- Bobandbill attacks
- Whoever tests next will ref

I think I've done enough lurking on various ASB sites to where I have a shot at teh Advanced rank. Novice is totally fine though. I just like writing stuffs ^-^

Team processr OO

Procione (M)
Linoone
Commands:
fhwofhouwd hax (By the way, Ole_Schooler, I think you got Fury's gender wrong, it's male according to the post when Marcin

sent it out. xD; It's a good job I noticed, I was going to use Attract but remembered my disappointment from when the two

Pokémon were sent out that they were of the same gender.)
Sucks, Procione, but we just have to get on with it. Let's create a nice big Substitute - 25% should do the trick. Next,

uh... Let's just go for a couple of Super Fangs. We shouldn't have to worry too much about a Substitute being created,

since damage is still done based on the proper Pokémon's Health. Bit of a cop-out these orders, but eh.

Substitute (25%) ~ Super Fang ~ Super Fang

Team bobandbill OO
Fury (M)Wigglytuff
Commands:
Ok then, first we'll undo our own accuracy drop by using Water Gun (first gen move wahey!) to wash away the mud!
Then Counter twice, which'd hit regardless of what is our accuracy and all but hey, it might help us later on. If you are

allowed, then if either (or both) Super Fang misses go for a Chill instead as you'll be just waiting beforehand to see if

they hit or not (unless that counts as a recovery move as they are banned but I doubt that, if so go for Curse instead,

again if you are allowed) - it was allowed in another battle but if not then oh well!

Water Gun (to wash eyes from Mud Slap) ~ Counter/Chill/Curse ~ Counter/Chill/Curse

ROUND 2: ENGAGE

As Dancers with their elemental monkeys and Battle Clerks on their way home stopped to watch the spectacle, Procione and Fury circled each other in front of the Castelia Square Fountain, each breathing a little heavier than before but at the same time raring to go. Their vision somewhat obscured, the two Normal-types seemed to totter a little as they continued their foreboding dance, Fury stomping the ground menacingly, Procione attempting to shake the mud out of its eyes to no avail.

At Bobandbill's command, Fury took a breath and spewed a small stream of water to the sky, cleansing his facial fur as it rained down. Procione, meanwhile, took advantage of this lull in the action to concentrate a large portion of his energy on a Linoone-shaped space in front of him. A silhouette identical to Procioine appeared there, first as a glowing white light, then as a mass of fur, and finally as a fully identical Procione replica. Smiling at his handiwork, Procione returned to the offensive.

Fury rubbed his sopping wet face until the mud was purged from his fur. Wiping his eyes, the Wigglytuff looked up just in time to see the enemy Linoone barrelling down upon him with exaggeratedly large fangs bared. Fury had just enough time to puff up his body, close his eyes and brace himself for the attack before Procione chomped down on his stomach, testing the durability of his elastic skin. After flying back a foot or two, Procione still clamped on his tummy, Fury opened his eyes, narrow with malice, and backhanded Procione as hard as he could. The Linoone cried out in pain and soared backwards a good six feet, sliding on the pavement; Fury massaged his war wound and stepped back into a ready stance. As his eyes found the Linoone on the ground, he grinned--but his grin faded along with the Substitute, as the real Procione snickered from a good twenty feet away.

Battle Clerks supposedly working on the twenty-second and fifty-fifth floors of Castelia's enormous offices cheered and heckled uninteligibly from the windows as Procione rushed Fury again, thinking that he would be harder to Counter if he could curve to the side of the Wigglytuff. In his rage, he had forgotten Linoone's natural intolerance for slight curves, and he sped straight past the Wigglytuff and into the less-dense foregrounds of the audience, momentarily surprised. As he zigzagged nimbly through the crowd in an attempt to return to the battle, mentally slapping himself, Fury laughed raucously and leaned back against the fountain, lapping a little water up and taking a short break.

ROUND 2 END

Team processr OO

Procione (M)
Linoone
Health: 53%
Energy: 71%
Status: -1 accuracy, still upset over missing but feeling a little smug about his Substitute ruse.

Team bobandbill OO
Fury (M)Wigglytuff
Health: 52%
Energy: 78%
Status: Glad to see again, but still full of rage after being tricked.

CALCULATIONS:
Water Gun cost 2% Energy, but did no damage, as it was stated to be self-affecting.
Procione's Substitute cost 12% Energy and 25% health. It was slaughtered by Fury's Counter.
Super Fang did 98/2=49% damage, with a 3% reduction for Counter.
Super Fang cost 30% Energy.
Fury's Counter broke the Substitute.
Super Fang missed the second time, on account of me refreshing to a blue background on www.sometimesredsometimesblue.com.
Due to that, Fury was able to Chill for about 23% Energy.
Super Fang cost a lot less energy, as it was mostly running. 4% Energy.

ARENA NOTES:
None of importance, but a lot of Battle Clerks are shirking their responsibilities to watch.

NOTES:
-processr attacks
-bobandbill attacks
-hopefully I ref :D
EDIT: I was informed after posting that Chills never restore over 10% Energy, a limit that I had tried to look for but was unable to find. I'm not going to change my mock, for the sake of honesty, but I'd like to point out that in the future I will keep this in mind.

EDIT 2: Aaaaaaaaand I f***ed up again. Seems I mistook Super Fang's "50% current health" damage for "50% Accuracy" and thus used a pseudo-coin-flipping site to decide. Again, understandable if you'd like me to re-apply with a different mock, I'm not going to edit it to make it seem like it never happened, but I assure you I can watch that in the future.

Last edited:
Whoops, I forgot to report on here that I have changed my username from Blinkingsky to Skyman. If I didn't need to report that on here, then, err, ignore this post completely!

Back
Top Bottom