• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Referee Headquarters

Trying to become a Novice. Third time's a charm!

------------
2v2
Style: Switch
DQ: Twelve days.
Damage Cap: 65%
Banned: OHKOs

Arena: Lavaplume Flats

In one of the more tropicalish areas of Asber (very rare, those are), on a large, flat island that's shaped like a cloud shaped like a duck, there lies a humongous volcano omigosh really?

Buuuut that's not where this battle will happen. Due to mysterious tectonic activity and multiple handwaves, most of the island is covered in gray, pillowing stone. This stone is warm to the touch and almost pliable with enough effort. The stone sparkles in the intense sunlight like a vampire, and is about as lifeless and boring. It's what's underneath the rock that's importante, mi amigo; a vast pool of magma lies underneath the several feet of stone, bubbling and attempting to escape. How the lava flats have remained so pristine for this long is a mystery; the shell is completely unmarked despite this being, y'know, Pokémon, were we fight on the moon and stuff.

But I digress.

A simple Mega Punch or Rock Throw is good enough to smash a hole in the ground, revealing the bubbling lava underneath. Once every round after a hole has opened, a geyser of lava will boil upwards and splash the arena before receding. Fire type moves get STAB regardless of the user's typing. Heavy pokémon may break the rock simply by standing on it.

Team Blastoise
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Growlithe
Pinwheel (M)
Ability: Flash Fire
Health: 26%
Energy: 63%
Status: Masking his pain in order to mantain his defensive stance. (4+ Speed, 2- Special Attack, 1- Accuracy.)
Commands: Rock Smash a hole between yourself and the evil Riolu of doom. Put as much power into it as you need to to make a big hole. Then spam Dragon Rage. If he gets over the hole somehow, instead attack with Aerial Ace.

Rock Smash ~ Dragon Rage/Aerial Ace ~ Dragon Rage/Aerial Ace

Team Mawile
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Riolu
Link (Riolu)
Ability: Inner Focus
Health: 66%
Energy: 58%
Status: Silent. (Under effects of Odor Sleuth [3 more actions])
Commands: Brick Break first, followed by two Drain Punches. If he Protects or you somehow can't attack him, use Bulk Up.

Brick Break/Bulk Up ~ Drain Punch/Bulk Up ~ Drain Punch/Bulk Up

Round Blah Begin!

Pinwheel glanced at the ground in front of him, trying to visualize it as how it would look once there was once it was smashed and gone. He jumped up a good five feet in the air. He fell down headfirst forcefully, smashing a nine foot hole in diameter that began spewing magma between him and Link, glad he had done well (though his head hurt quite a bit.) He stumbled around for a few moments with vacant eyes, dazed. Link was irritated at the boundary, and tried to find a way around it. As he looked around the bubbling mass of magma, he saw that there would be no reasonable, quick way of getting to the other side quickly, not while Pinwheel wasn't watching him. Link stiffened with his feet apart and arms down in a sort of power stance, and his eyes became vacant. His pupils filled with a bright orange not unlike the magma that surrounded him as his entire body began to glow the same orange, marbled with dark red undertones. The glow quickly developed into a firey aura that enveloped Link, as he seemed to be engulfed by flames. Link's body became once more visible as the flames died down, leaving him visibly more energetic.

Pinwheel: Health: 26% Energy: 58%
Link: Health: 66% Energy: 54%

Pinwheel, not interested in the odd flames, sat down a couple feet away from the bubbling magma pit. He gaped open his mouth and shot out a beam of flame, which hit Link full on. Link, who wanted revenge but yet couldn't get over the darned hole, scowled as he disappeared behind another curtain of flame.

Pinwheel: Health: 26% Energy: 53%
Link: Health: 62% Energy: 50%

Pinwheel smirked as his eyes glanced up to Link from looking at the pit in front of him. He gave Link a look that said 'I'm here and you can't touch me!', greatly irritating the Riolu. The puppy Pokemon then snapped his mouth back open as he blew out magenta flame, once more engulfing Link. As Link regained control of his body, his eyes glowed magma orange and he was swallowed by the orange red aura again.

Round Blah End!

Team Blastoise
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Growlithe
Pinwheel (M)
Ability: Flash Fire
Health: 26%
Energy: 48%
Status: Awesome, I blew out flaaaaaame. (4+ Speed, 2- Special Attack, 1- Accuracy.)
Attacks Used: Rock Smash~Dragon Rage~Dragon Rage

Team Mawile
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Riolu
Link (M)
Ability: Inner Focus
Health: 58%
Energy: 46%
Attacks Used: Bulk Up~Bulk Up~Bulk Up

Damage / Energy Calculations
Pinwheel's Rock Smash required 5% energy.

Pinwheel's Dragon Rage (for each) took 5% energy.

Pinwheel's Dragon Rage each dealt 4% damage.

Link's Bulk Up (for each) took 4% energy.

Arena Notes
There is now a big nine foot hole in diameter between Link and Pinwheel, which is filling with bubbling, hot magma. Some of it has splashed out a few feet in all directions from where the original hole was made.

Notes
I had Rock Smash require two more energy % than usual as I think that smashing a nine foot hole warrants more effort.

Next Round
- Blastoise attacks
- Mawile attacks
- Whoever tests will ref

Last edited:
I was a novice ref, like, forever ago, so hey.

Yo yo yo!

This is a two on two battle, single style. No OHKOs, and only 3 healing moves and chills allowed per Pokemon. Pokemon are to be PM'd to me!

The stage?

Description: A Pokemon contest has gone wrong as two contestants turn on each other! As the audience flees in terror, a firey duel begins between two young trainers!
Skyfyre
OO
[Zip] Zangoose (M)
HP: 92%
EN: 92%
Ability: Immunity
Attack +2 | Defense +1
Mood: More fabulous than a party of narcissists.

Latios
OO
[Die Hard] Cleffa (M)
HP: 88%
EN: 89%
Ability: Magic Guard
Mood: You know who's badass? Three guesses, first two don't count.

Pretty much the entire audience is gone by now, which is a crying shame if you ask Zip. (No one has yet, but someone certainly should have by now. He's the most important pokémon in the world, you know. It's okay if you didn't; he forgives you.) ... But on the plus side, no one has to see his pitious foray into vulgarity as he gallantly besmirches the cleffa's parentage, name (what sort of buffoon allows himself to be called Die Hard, really), battle skills: support moves are crude. (Let's not bring up Zip's stat boosts; he is of finer stock and so he is exempt from such standards.)

Die Hard thinks this is slightly absurd, in the same way he thinks that fire is slightly hot or the moon is slightly far away, but the dude is really annoying. So annoying, in fact, that as he rushes over to headbutt the scumbag, he trips over his own feet (what? HIS LEGS ARE SMALL. Let's see you do better, jerkface!) and rolls. He manages to turn the momentum to his advantage enough to make the zangoose stumble, but Zig regains his footing almost immediately. Jerk.

Now, how does one bring about a sunny day inside a building? The ceiling's not opaque -- it's plexiglass, if he's not mistaken -- but it's still difficult to attune himself with the sun's energies enough to make a difference. But he is fabulous enough to pull it off, oh yeah, damn right he is --

-- just in time for the cleffa's strained attempts to absorb sunlight to become a hell of a lot easier. That was bright, Zip. In more ways than one. (Oh yeah, we went there.) Take that, Die Hard would say as he spews lasers from his mouth! ... if he wasn't so exhausted from trying to gather solar energy indoors. Even if the ceiling is transparent, that still sucks, dude! Why you do this.

Zip is not pleased. The extent to which Zip is not pleased cannot be detailed, but suffice to say: not pleased. First the uncouth puffball tries to headbutt him, and then he shoots lasers at him (the only way that could be less dignified is if the cleffa had eyebeams. Please may it not have eyebeams.) and that's. That's not acceptable. So there's only one thing he can do:

Breathe fire. And lots of it. Ah, he loves the smell of roasted fur in the morning, as long as it isn't his, and he hasn't had to worry about that since he fired his last hairdresser. Unfortunately, the cleffa seems to have escaped much of an injury: he's hurt, sure, but he's probably not going to feel that in the morning and it's not because there's not going to be a cleffa to feel anything. And that's about all Zip thinks of the matter, before glancing off to check if his trainer has indeed noticed his fabulosity. He's doing a great job, isn't he?

Meanwhile, Die Hard really wants to know what it would take to get this guy to stop falling in love with himself. It's terrible, and Die Hard's a cleffa: accidents involving their charm happen. He knows what he's talking about. So hey, that order from his trainer? That is the greatest order. After checking that yes, the zangoose is indeed paying more attention to his ego than to the cleffa he just tried to flambe, Die Hard starts to run as fast as his little legs will carry him, because there's no way he's going to hit the zangoose anywhere important and civil without a running start and a jump.

He builds up speed! He leaps! He kicks! He -- goes right over the zangoose's shoulder without the zangoose even noticing! It's. It's maybe not his day today.

Skyfyre
OO
[Zip] Zangoose (M)
HP: 74%
EN: 74%
Attack +2 | Defense +1
Taunt ~ Sunny Day ~ Flamethrower
Mood: How dare he attempt to demean my noble personage!

Latios
OO
[Die Hard] Cleffa (M)
HP: 79%
EN: 62%
Headbutt ~ SolarBeam ~ Mega Kick
Mood: Be right back; punching all the jerks in the face.

ARENA: Slightly warmer than it had been before (11 more actions), and it's bright enough the spotlights aren't currently necessary, but mostly undamaged. Contest halls are built strong, yo. The audience is pretty much entirely gone by now, though, except for the idiot hiding with her head between her knees in the fourth row. Go home, dude.

Notes:
- Mega Kick missed. Headbutt procced, but it's second in the action so it doesn't matter.
- Taunt wore off.
- Halving effects of Sunny Day since while I have decided the ceiling is translucent, they're still indoors. I figure it'd let in enough light for sun and moon based attacks to work, and probably they can remove some panels if they know something's about to use thunder (it's simpler than repairing the ceiling on a regular basis), but it's not going to make that sort of thing easy.
- DAMAGE CALCS: Headbutt: 7 base + 3 stab -1 baby -2 def boost; Solarbeam: 12 base -1 baby; Flamethrower: 9 base +1 sun
- ENERGY CALCS: Zip has Taunt -3 PP, Sunny Day -6 PP -2 indoors, Flamethrower -4 PP -2 power -1 off-type; Die Hard has Headbutt -4 PP -1 power +1 stab -1 baby, Solarbeam -5 PP -3 power -1 off-type -1 baby -2 indoors +1 sunny, Mega Kick -6 PP -3 power -1 off-type -1 baby

Next Round: Skyfyre attacks; Latios attacks; someone refs.

Third time's the charm!

Arena Description

Yo yo yo!

This is a two on two battle, single style. No OHKOs, and only 3 healing moves and chills allowed per Pokemon. Pokemon are to be PM'd to me!

The stage?

Description: A Pokemon contest has gone wrong as two contestants turn on each other! As the audience flees in terror, a firey duel begins between two young trainers!

Current Pokémon Status

Skyfyre
OO
[Zip] Zangoose (M)
HP: 92%
EN: 92%
Attack +2 | Defense +1

Latios
OO
[Die Hard] Cleffa (M)
HP: 88%
EN: 89%

Next Round's Commands

Alrighty then! First up, I want you to Taunt that Cleffa to avoid any funny business. Once it's nice and enraged, show these idiots the power of dance, and summon some sunlight to dry off your beautiful fur! Finally, summon up a powerful flamethrower to clear away all the mess!

Of course, Cleffa could go to defend itself against your taunting. So, if it attempt to do so in any way, swap to using Sunny Day then, and Flamethrower the next action! Then finish up with some fabulous Close Combat!

And I guess if you're asleep just use Sleep Talk.

And remember... be fabulous!

Taunt ~ Sunny Day ~ Flamethrower

If Taunt is blocked: Sunny Day ~ Flamethrower ~ Close Combat

If asleep: Sleep Talk

All moves: To be done fabulously.
I'M NOT LATE WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT. I mean...uh...Die Hard! Why don't you use Headbutt and then SolarBeam and finish up with Mega Kick! If that Zangoose wants damage then LET HIM EAT DAMAGE!

Headbutt ~ SolarBeam ~ Mega Kick

NEXT ROUND A GO GO

A few members of the audience peer in through the doors to watch the ensuing battle as the Trainers hastily issue commands. Zip nods, then cocks his head and laughs haughtily at Die Hard.

A Cleffa? A Cleffa? Please. I eat Cleffas for breakfast, he says, sneering. I could kick your ass with my claws broken off and my feet bound. Die Hard? The only thing that’s gonna be dying around here is you, pipsqueak—and I promise you it’s gonna be hard.

Enraged, Die Hard charges Zip, head lowered, eyes aflame (not literally, but like…dramatically). With a cry of “CLEEEEEEFFFF!!!” Die Hard tackles Zip as hard as he can, knocking the Zangoose back a couple of feet. Zip grits his teeth, then shrugs off the attack, maintaining his taunting attitude. The mongoose closes his eyes, angling his head toward the space above the center of the temporary battleground.

Zip opens his eyes to reveal that they are glowing red as a small replica of the sun expands from an infinitesimally small point in the air. The intense heat causes some discomfort for both battlers, but as the glow dies from Zip’s eyes, he sees Die Hard absorbing sunlight into a glowing ball in front of his face, upon which there is a smirk. Crying its species’ name again, Die Hard unleashes a bright beam of light at Zip, who attempts to block it, but is blasted backwards in a small explosion of light.

Getting up and rubbing his arms, Zip inhales deeply, then breathes a stream of very hot flames at Die Hard; the Cleffa nimbly leaps out of the way, narrowly avoiding the Flamethrower attack. He charges Zip once again, then leaps at him, stubby right foot outstretched, audibly humming with energy; Zip braces himself for the attack, but is relieves to feel the wind rushing through his fur as the Cleffa flies past him, the attack missing. Die Hard tucks himself into a roll as he hits the ground, so as to avoid harming himself on the landing, and both Pokemon await their next instructions as more people gather at the entrances of the stage to watch.

NEXT ROUND A STOP STOP

Current Pokémon Status
Team Skyfire OO
Zip (M)
Zangoose
Immunity
74%HP
80%EN
Commands: Taunt/Sunny Day~Sunny Day/Flamethrower~Flamethrower/Close Combat

Team Latias OO
Die Hard (M)
Cleffa
Magic Guard
88%HP
66%EN
Commands: Headbutt~Solarbeam~Mega Kick

Calculations:
Taunt: o% damage, 3% energy (Accuracy roll 84, needed 100 to miss)
Headbutt: 6 % damage, 5% energy (Accuracy roll 22, needed 100 to miss)
Sunny Day: 0% damage, 4% energy
Solarbeam: 12% damage, 9% energy (Accuracy roll 79, needed 100 to miss)
Flamethrower: (would have done) 14% damage, 5% energy (Accuracy roll 100, needed 100 to miss)
Mega Kick: (would have done) 13% damage, 9% energy (Accuracy roll 91, needed 75 to miss)

Notes:
-Flamethrower and Mega Kick missed.
-No critical hits.
-I added 1% damage to Solarbeam due to the sun.
-There were a lot of glowing balls this round.
-I used the Energy and Damage Calculations thread this time but it seemed to screw Cleffa over pretty badly. Dunno if that's right or not but it might be because Cleffa used two 120BP attacks in one round.
-Very surprised that Flamethrower missed. But hey, has to happen sometime or another.
-I did this when I was very herp de derp and tired. So in the morning it will probably read incredibly stupidly to me, but hopefully not to Negrek. Iirc my main problems were with calculations before, so if the attention could be focused there I'd appreciate it, but whatevs
-Latias orders next.
-also the arena was incredibly vague. So I did what I could with it.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Weedle (M) [Shield Dust]
Sandshrew (F) [Sand Veil]
Lillipup (M) [Pickup]
Purrloin (F) [Limber]
Blitzle (M) [Lightningrod]
Frillish (M) [Cursed Body]

por favor. (gaaah somanybattles I wouldn't be surprised if like half the links are wrong)

Going for novice this time... also confused as to how I didn't take off points for poison my last attempt? Oh well.

Battle Description said:
2v2
Style: Switch
DQ: Twelve days.
Damage Cap: 65%
Banned: OHKOs

Arena: Lavaplume Flats

In one of the more tropicalish areas of Asber (very rare, those are), on a large, flat island that's shaped like a cloud shaped like a duck, there lies a humongous volcano omigosh really?

Buuuut that's not where this battle will happen. Due to mysterious tectonic activity and multiple handwaves, most of the island is covered in gray, pillowing stone. This stone is warm to the touch and almost pliable with enough effort. The stone sparkles in the intense sunlight like a vampire, and is about as lifeless and boring. It's what's underneath the rock that's importante, mi amigo; a vast pool of magma lies underneath the several feet of stone, bubbling and attempting to escape. How the lava flats have remained so pristine for this long is a mystery; the shell is completely unmarked despite this being, y'know, Pokémon, were we fight on the moon and stuff.

But I digress.

A simple Mega Punch or Rock Throw is good enough to smash a hole in the ground, revealing the bubbling lava underneath. Once every round after a hole has opened, a geyser of lava will boil upwards and splash the arena before receding. Fire type moves get STAB regardless of the user's typing. Heavy pokémon may break the rock simply by standing on it.

BLASTOISE vs MAWILE

Blastoise
O O
Growlithe
Pinwheel♂ | Flash Fire
HP: 26/100
EN: 63/100

• +4 SPE
  • -2 SpA, -1 ACC
"Can't... let my guard down now..."

Mawile
O O
Riolu
Link♂ | Inner Focus
HP: 66/100
EN: 58/100

• Identified by Odour Sleuth (3 actions)
" ..."

- Commence Battle -

Pinwheel sets his potential energy into motion, digging his paws deep into the earth until a sizable chunk of the terrain breaks apart; enough to put him out of Link's reach. Link thinks to himself for a moment, but decides against giving chase — instead he decides to focus on his muscles. He picks up two hefty-looking rocks from the rubble and starts lifting them like small dumbbells. Pinwheel sees his enemy's inaction as a chance to strike: he begins to spin in place, drawing embers and gases from the newly-created rift, creating a small vortex. After attaining the velocity he wants, Pinwheel launches the fiery tornado towards Link. Unfortunately for the Puppy Pokémon, his dwindling power couldn't keep the twister powerful for long — by the time it reached Link, the embers had dwindled to mere ash, barely enough to slightly singe the skin. Link, not moving an inch, decides to make things more interesting for himself and starts juggling the rocks he was lifting. Pinwheel isn't amused by the jester—er, gesture—and decides to try again, whipping up another twister. Link smiles to himself, anticipating the encore presentation. Pinwheel's bravado isn't enough to counter the missing power necessary to fuel a special attack, and Link is barely fazed once more. Perhaps in spite, Link picks up another heavy-looking rock and continues to juggle, building his strength up even further.

- End Round -

Blastoise
O O
Growlithe
Pinwheel♂ | Flash Fire
HP: 26/100
EN: 53/100

• +4 SPE
  • -2 SpA, -1 ACC
"Will I be safe over here...?"

Mawile
O O
Riolu
Link♂ | Inner Focus
HP: 64/100
EN: 49/100

• +3 ATK, +3 DEF
"I could probably just throw these at you..."

Action synopsis

Pinwheel: Rock Smash ~ Dragon Rage/Aerial Ace ~ Dragon Rage/Aerial Ace
Link: Brick Break/Bulk Up ~ Drain Punch/Bulk Up ~ Drain Punch/Bulk Up
  • Pinwheel Rock Smashes at the ground, creating a gap between the combatants (2 EN)
  • Link uses Bulk Up, gaining +1 ATK and DEF (3 EN)
  • Pinwheel attacks with Dragon Rage (1 HP, 4 EN)
  • Link uses Bulk Up again, gaining +1 ATK and DEF (3 EN)
  • Pinwheel attacks with Dragon Rage (1 HP, 4 EN)
  • Link uses Bulk Up yet again, gaining +1 ATK and DEF (3 EN)

Extra notes
  • The hole created by Pinwheel is large enough to put him out of arm's reach; no extra energy was deducted
  • Since Link was given alternate instructions, he made no real effort to catch up to Pinwheel
  • Pinwheel no longer senses Link
  • Dragon Rage is a pretty crappy move!
  • Blastoise attacks first next round

Psychtini

Your battle description is all right; it's a bit sparse and weirdly top-heavy--significantly less went on in the last two actions than the first, but not to the point where there should be more text in the first paragraph than in the other two combined. It looks like you lost interest more than anything.

5% seems hefty for an attack that only deals 4% damage. Typically, attacks should cost less energy than they deal damage, in order to prevent most battles from being energy KO's (exceptions would be instances where resistances/stat boosts cause attacks to deal less damage than they cost energy). This is made more weird by the fact that rock smash, with a base power equal to dragon rage, would have cost only 3% under normal circumstances. Why is dragon rage taking on the extra 2%? Similarly, 4% for bulk up is a heavy cost.

I would say you need to get a better sense for damage and energy above all. Your battle description is a bit rough around the edges, but your numbers are the primary problem. Not Approved

Viki

Battle description is fine.

It would be nice if you included the total damage/energy for each move, rather than all the parts such that I have to redo the calculations myself. STAB is 25%, not 50%. 6% is a bit much to be taking off for sunny day (base), and mega kick is not off-type for cleffa. I'm curious as to why you're giving an energy penalty to off-type attacks, but no damage penalty. Sunny day is a 1.25x multiplier on fire attacks, although you could be reducing the sun boost due to the indoors thing, I guess.

Battle description fine, but you're getting caught up in a lot of details of the calculations. The most important is the STAB thing; 50% STAB goes out of control quickly. The battle description is certainly good enough for advanced, but not the numbers. It's sort of redundant, since you're already qualified to ref, but Approved as Novice, I guess.

The Omskivar

The battle description is good. It would be nice if you could give some indication that the taunt wore off (as I'm assuming it did) after the last action, though.

Damage and energy looks good.

Good all around. Welcome to the team. Approved

Alvyren

Your battle description is for the most part good, but it breaks down at the most important part--namely, how big is the hole created by rock smash? "Large enough to put him out of arm's reach" could mean almost anything. It's implied that the distance is so great that it's able to reduce the power of dragon rage, which would be a really freaking big hole--coming off a wimpy rock smash? Later it's suggested that the lack of power from the attack is a result of Pinwheel's lowered special attack rather than (in addition to?) distance, further muddying the issue. If I were playing in this battle, I would certainly clarify how large the hole was. Other than that, good, although it's also easier to read if you break the battle description up a bit, rather than cramming it together in a single paragraph.

What do you mean by "Pinwheel no longer senses Link"?

You have energy issues similar to Psychtini's. Again, dragon rage is taking a huge amount of energy for a 40 BP attack. The equivalent rock smash required half that--and 2% is a much more reasonable standard for an attack of that strength. 3% is a better amount for bulk up, although perhaps still a little high.

This one is quite difficult to call. Aside from one crucial point of vagueness, the battle description is excellent. The energy and damage are less so. Not Approved, but you'll probably pass if you try again.

Last edited:
Your battle description is for the most part good, but it breaks down at the most important part--namely, how big is the hole created by rock smash? "Large enough to put him out of arm's reach" could mean almost anything. It's implied that the distance is so great that it's able to reduce the power of dragon rage, which would be a really freaking big hole--coming off a wimpy rock smash?

Why was the Rock Smash necessarily wimpy? An equivalent 80 BP (fighting > rock) is hardly wimpy, and Pinwheel's body was already stiffened from Skull Bash. I'll keep a more specific distance in mind, but it had nothing to do with Dragon Rage — I implied the SpA drop the first time, so I don't really understand where you're coming from.

What do you mean by "Pinwheel no longer senses Link"?
Odour Sleuth wore. "The effects of Odour Sleuth wore off." I guess is more specific? but less fitting.

You have energy issues similar to Psychtini's. Again, dragon rage is taking a huge amount of energy for a 40 BP attack.
It has only 10 PP and I was using Kratos's calculator. It doesn't get STAB, either, so I don't see where the justification comes from in reducing the energy cost. That said, it's also a 40 BP STAB-less attack coming off -2 SpA so it's going to be horrendously weak regardless. Why should I have to be charitable because Blastoise picked a terrible move?

The equivalent rock smash required half that--and 2% is a much more reasonable standard for an attack of that strength. 3% is a better amount for bulk up, although perhaps still a little high.
Rock Smash has 40 PP, which is far greater than 10.

I'm trying to go basic before being too liberal with altering numbers, but apparently that's hurting more than helping? It seems that there is entirely too much room for "error" for me to feel comfortable in attempting again.

Last edited:
Why was the Rock Smash necessarily wimpy? An equivalent 80 BP (fighting > rock) is hardly wimpy, and Pinwheel's body was already stiffened from Skull Bash. I'll keep a more specific distance in mind, but it had nothing to do with Dragon Rage — I implied the SpA drop the first time, so I don't really understand where you're coming from.
Ah, I didn't think of treating inorganic rock as though it was weak to fighting. Super-effective damage is 1.5x in ASB, not 2x. 60 non-STAB unboosted attack really is quite wimpy, but a little better. My apologies, I misread the first dragon rage instance, and you did mention the special attack drop.

Odour Sleuth wore. "The effects of Odour Sleuth wore off." I guess is more specific? but less fitting.
Ah, good catch. More clarity would be preferable, yes.

It has only 10 PP and I was using Kratos's calculator. It doesn't get STAB, either, so I don't see where the justification comes from in reducing the energy cost. That said, it's also a 40 BP STAB-less attack coming off -2 SpA so it's going to be horrendously weak regardless. Why should I have to be charitable because Blastoise picked a terrible move?
Kratos' calculator suggests 3% energy for dragon rage under these conditions. You must have forgotten a variable somewhere.

It has nothing to do with being charitable. I was talking about the attack's base energy cost, not what it happened to cost/how much damage it dealt in this particular case. As a 40 power attack, dragon rage should be expected to cost less than 4% energy to use for the typical pokémon. If you had adjusted the damage down to 1% to compensate for the fact that the attack only did 1%, that would also have been wrong.

Rock Smash has 40 PP, which is far greater than 10.
Yes, but it is equal in power to dragon rage. Given that, why should their costs be different? Why would one be more difficult to use than the other?

I'm trying to go basic before being too liberal with altering numbers, but apparently that's hurting more than helping? It seems that there is entirely too much room for "error" for me to feel comfortable in attempting again.
Energy is difficult because the PP scale used as a guideline only approximates actual move power. Damage is fairly straightforward, but energy usage typically requires more thought to get right; if you don't understand the principles behind the scale and just use the calculator, you will probably run into problems. If you are uncomfortable with not being able to rely on a calculator, then yes, you will have problems.

Kratos' calculator suggests 3% energy for dragon rage under these conditions. You must have forgotten a variable somewhere.

Oh, I see — I think I used 1st-of-3 instead of 1st-of-2. That would definitely be a mistake on my part, then.

As a 40 power attack, dragon rage should be expected to cost less than 4% energy to use for the typical pokémon. [...] it is equal in power to dragon rage. Given that, why should their costs be different? Why would one be more difficult to use than the other?
I don't understand where this comes from. I understand power-in-relation-to-PP: If Dragon Rage has *considerably* less PP than Rock Smash, why shouldn't it cost more energy? Rock Smash also comes across, at least to me, as a more generic use-of-limbs attack rather than Dragon Rage, which is a more selectively distributed (and more advanced to perform) move. Since it doesn't maintain its fixed damage element, the nature of ASB simply makes it an inefficient attack.

Energy is difficult because the PP scale used as a guideline only approximates actual move power. Damage is fairly straightforward, but energy usage typically requires more thought to get right; if you don't understand the principles behind the scale and just use the calculator, you will probably run into problems. If you are uncomfortable with not being able to rely on a calculator, then yes, you will have problems.
You're right — I'm not comfortable with such subjectivity. To be as fair as possible, I'd really prefer to stick to a hard formula. Perhaps I have an entirely wrong mindset, but as a theoretical referee, I am there to describe what happens and crunch numbers as concisely as possible.

I don't understand where this comes from. I understand power-in-relation-to-PP: If Dragon Rage has *considerably* less PP than Rock Smash, why shouldn't it cost more energy? Rock Smash also comes across, at least to me, as a more generic use-of-limbs attack rather than Dragon Rage, which is a more selectively distributed (and more advanced to perform) move. Since it doesn't maintain its fixed damage element, the nature of ASB simply makes it an inefficient attack.
Ah, that's the problem. PP is being used as a proxy for power; it's pretty rough, though, as you can see from weirdness like and flamethrower and thunderbolt having more PP than ice beam, despite them being typeswaps of one another. Logically, there's no real reason for them to cost different energy amounts, but they do.

PP was used as a gauge of power rather than BP because, while not all attacks have a BP, they all have a PP value, so there can be a single scale applied to both damaging and non-damaging moves. But what the scale is really trying to do is make weak attacks cost less and powerful ones cost more--when it fails in that is when the numbers have to be tweaked a little.

I don't use a PP-based scale anymore, but the one I replaced it with is a bit more difficult and I would prefer to finish a calculator for it before releasing it officially. It does make energy calculations much more straightforward, though.

You're right — I'm not comfortable with such subjectivity. To be as fair as possible, I'd really prefer to stick to a hard formula. Perhaps I have an entirely wrong mindset, but as a theoretical referee, I am there to describe what happens and crunch numbers as concisely as possible.
No, that's right. The problem is that you really can't escape from subjectivity in ASB. How are you going to handle actions that aren't attacks and therefore have no energy cost, like climbing a wall or throwing something across the room? How are you going to decide if a pokémon is strong enough to shove its opponent off the ledge and into the pit trap? To be an effective referee, you have to develop your own internal logic of how things should work, and how different actions can be represented in terms of damage and energy. It's the hardest part of the job, besides motivating yourself to get stuff written, I guess.

NUMBER OF POKEMON: 2v2
BATTLE TYPE: Singles
RECOVERIES: Two Recovers per Pokemon | Five Chills per Pokemon
SWITCH: Switch=KO
ITEMS: Items OFF
ABILITIES: All Abilities

The ASB Tournament Arena

Surrounded by thousands of screaming Pokemon fans, the ASB Arena can be best
described as a standard Pokemon battling arena. In the center of the arena
lies a dirt-based floor outlined to show two separate sides (with a white
Pokeball center). Surrounding the dirt is a moat filled with water. The moat
is about fifteen feet wide and creates a perimeter around the dirt arena.
The arena itself is eighty feet wide, one hundred feet long. All moves,
weathers, and abilities are legal for the match, since it's an outdoor arena
with a large water source and packed dirt. Pokemon must stay in the arena
(or the dimensions of the arena in the case of Flying Pokemon, who cannot
leave the arena and cannot fly higher than sixty feet). This prevents
Pokemon from injuring the crowd watching the tournament. There are no
outside interruptions by fans, Pokemon, or other elements not associated
with the current battle.

Galliador: N/2

[Roman] gallade (M) <Steadfast>
Health 72%, Energy 75%; taunted (2 more actions), -2 def, -2 spd.
Condition: I'm going to smack that steelix!
Commands: (Leaf Blade ~ Close Combat ~ Leaf Blade) / (Confuse Ray ~ Double Team ~ Close Combat)

Deck Knight: N/2

[Will Powers] steelix (M) <Rock Head>
Health 54%, Energy 74%; burned.
Condition: Why does it hurt so much when a little fleshbag hits my armor?
Commands: Dig (movement, to water) ~ Harden ~ Earthquake

Round N

Two pokemon and their trainers stand in an outdoor arean, surrounded by an uncountably large crowd. The trainers give their pokemon shouted orders, the referee motions, and the battle continues.

The gallade, quite a bit quicker than a giant metal snake thing, makes the first move, charging one of its blades with deep green energy and moving in to slash at the steelix, and hits before the slower combatant has had time to properly react. The gallade's attack cuts through a chink in the steelix's armor, and the beast gives a great roar before shattering the ground and tunnelling though it faster than one would expect from something so large and heavy.

{Leaf Blade: energy 5%, damage 19% (critical); Dig: energy 4% (ad-hoc)}

The steelix surfaces underwater, stopping where the water meets the mud. Waiting there, watching the gallade and smirking at its need to breathe, the steelix reinforces its armor, fixing the parts which have been damaged, and hardening what is still intact. As planned, the water puts out the ghostly fire the gallade had started.

The gallade, unwilling to enter the water, yet feeling inexplicable animosity toward the steelix, stands at the edge of the water, pouting, with its strongest attack readied, waiting for the giant snake to surface. It quickly become obvious that the steelix has no intention of returning, and the gallade slams the ground in frustration.

{Close Combat: not executed, energy 3% just for preparing to use it (ad-hoc); Harden: energy 2%}

Finally satisfied with its armor's condition, the steelix rises slowly, readying itself to strike the ground as soon as it leaves the water. The gallade, seeing its opponent's ascent, charges its blade with the same green energy it used earlier.

As the steelix leaves the water, the gallade immediately comes down on it with its blade. It hits only the steelix's hardened armor, but produces a satisfying clanging sound as the steelix, now fully out of the water, slams its tail into the ground.

The gallade realizes, too late, as the ground bounces and shakes, that its carelessness earlier in the battle would be costly.

The crowd, for its part, is less than amused at being thrown from their seats. Ambulances arrive as the trainers consider their next moves, and some many spectators yell at the referee and the battlers.

{Earthquake: energy 6%, damage 17%; Leaf Blade: energy 5%, damage 8%}

Deck Knight: N/2

[Will Powers] steelix (M) <Rock Head>
Health 29%, Energy 63%; +1 def.
Condition: Dammit!
Executed: Dig ~ Harden ~ Earthquake

Galliador: N/2

[Roman] gallade (M) <Steadfast>
Health 55%, Energy 61%; -2 def, -2 spd.
Condition: Owowowowow
Executed: Leaf Blade ~ nothing ~ Leaf Blade

Notes
  • rng seed 1: 0.041630 0.454492 0.834817
  • Roman's Leaf Blade (action 1) was a critical hit.
  • Roman's Close Combat (action 2) was not executed due to lack of a target.
  • Arena: There is a collapsed tunnel, wide enough large enough to fit a steelix. The ground is somewhat cracked, especially around a point at the edge of the water.
  • Deck Knight commands first next round.

PP is being used as a proxy for power; it's pretty rough, though, as you can see from weirdness like and flamethrower and thunderbolt having more PP than ice beam, despite them being typeswaps of one another. Logically, there's no real reason for them to cost different energy amounts, but they do.

I would think that freezing is far worse than burning. (Ingame, at least.)

Round ?

Galladiator (OO)
gallade
Roman (M) <Steadfast>
Health: 72%
Energy: 75%
Condition: Taunted (2 Actions)
-2 Def, -2 Sp Def

Deck Knight(OO)
steelix
Will Powers (M) <Rock Head>
Health: 54%
Energy: 74%
Condition: Burned

Both pokemon await their trainers' commands in the middle of the arena, springing into action as soon as their orders are given.

Roman, being faster than his opponent, is the first to strike. Without hesitation, he imbues grass energy into his arms and he dashes towards his opponent. Upon reaching the huge snake, he delivers a single powerful blow, causing a dull clang to emmanate.

The steelix, taking the direct force of the blow, is seemingly unaffected as he hastily digs into the ground. He burrows his way towards the water as the gallade is left above ground, readying his next attack.

Not wanting to disappoint his trainer, the gallade decides to follow commands. After all, his trainer did say, "Leaf Blade...Close Combat... Leaf Blade." To his trainer's dismay, he then makes a spectacle of himself by furiously slashing the ground where his opponent previously "stood". Boiling with rage, he throws blow after blow into the ground. This, of course, doesn't have any effect on the distant steelix.

While the gallade attacks the arena, Will Powers tunnels farther and farther away. Upon reaching the water, he is glad to feel its effects. Effectively treating his burns, Will Powers is once again ready to confront his opponent. He tightens his body, and in the process, hardens the steel plating covering his body. While doing this, he is tunneling his way upwards, grinning at the thought of throwing his opponent off his feet.

Upon reaching the surface of the ground, however, he is immediately slashed by the glowing blade of his opponent. Even though the attack causes Deck Knight much pain, he doesn't let it distract him. He slams his tail into the ground repeatedly and causes the ground to shake violently. Roman is quite shaken up, thrown up and down by the violent waves, the ground not providing even the least bit of cushioning.

Galladiator (OO)
gallade
Roman (M) <Steadfast>
Health: 57%
Energy: 58%
Condition: Shaken up
-2 Def, -2 Sp Def

Deck Knight(OO)
steelix
Will Powers (M) <Rock Head>
Health: 37%
Energy: 63%
Condition: Rawwwwr
+1 Def

Final Notes:

- Roman: Leaf Blade~Close Combat~Leaf Blade
- Will Powers: Dig to water ~ Harden ~ Earthquake
- The arena is mostly covered with cracks. Will Powers' tunnel was effectively collapsed by the earthquake
- Will Powers "slowly ascended the water" and didn't attack Roman with dig
- Deck Knight attacks first next round

Leaf Blade = -9% Damage, -5% Energy
Dig = -4% Energy
Close Combat = -7% Energy
Harden = -2% Energy
Leaf Blade = -8% Damage, -5% Energy
Earthquake = -15% Damage, -5% Energy

Last edited:
3 vs. 3
Style: Set
DQ: 10 Days
Damage Cap: 45%
Banned Moves: OHKOs

Field: Arboreal Dome

In some closed-off mountain range in the northern parts of Asber, a strange natural wonder has formed; a humongous dome made entirely of intertwined trees and vines. It is several hundred feet high and wide, and the ground inside is covered with bushes and a strange, luminescent moss. Moss-covered boulders are also strewn throughout, and a slow, good-sized stream cuts a swathe through the middle of the Great Arboreal Dome. The light not provided by the moss is filtered and green, streaming through window-like gaps in the wicker dome.

For obvious reasons, most weather moves will have a lessened effect in this arena, as rain or hail will have a tough time getting through the intertwined branches. At the end of each round, there's a 25% chance that the moss will glow bright green for the entirety of the next round, at which point Grass-type Pokémon get a 2x STAB instead of a 1.25x, and Fire-types get no STAB.

Additional Rules: The choice for the first Pokémon sent out by each trainer willl be sent to the referee, and not posted in the battle itself. For example, it would be;

X and Y choose a Pokémon and tell it to the ref by PM
X attacks
Y attacks

and not:

X sends out
Y sends out and attacks
X attacks

Blazhy vs Blastoise

Blastoise (1/3 Pokemon)
Koutus ♀ - Static
Manectric
"Jesus Christ it's a lion get in the car!"
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Actions: Signal Beam/Odor Sleuth~Signal Beam/Odor Sleuth/Captivate~Signal Beam/Odor Sleuth/Captivate
Other: n/a

Blazhy (1/3 Pokemon)
Retsurai ♂ - Intimidate
Luxio
"Who... the hell are you?!"
Health: 70%
Energy: 75%
Actions: Charge ~ Thunderbolt ~ Crunch
Other: +1 attack, Magnet Rise (4 more actions)

----------------------------------------

- Round Start -

Retsurai stood panting as he surveyed his new opponent. A blue and yellow dog-like Pokemon with a helmet in place of ears and a bent tail stood on the other side of the field, howling to the tops of the trees. Koutus wasn't a Pokemon Retsurai recognized, but if its - her? - appearance was anything to go by, this wasn't one to mess with. Retsurai attempted a threatening growl, trying to mask his apprehension.

Koutus lowered her head with a wide grin at Retsurai. "Oh my God it's a lion, help!" she teased him, gasping and holding one paw to her heart as if she might faint. Then she lifted a paw up to inspect it, adopting an expression more like boredom. Retsurai growled again, clearly making an attempt to sound menacing, but Koutus was unfazed. Hardly a lion, really. Maybe a kitten. "Oh, I must have been mistaken. A lion would sound much more threatening than that. Where's your mother gone, little cat?" Her words had the desired effect. With a low hiss, Retsurai dug his claws into the ground, probably preparing to do something nasty. Koutus yawned and charged a ball of red and blue energy in her open mouth, aiming directly at Retsurai's chest. The force of the impact sent him tumbling backward. He shot her a confused but furious glare as he got back to his feet, and Koutus chuckled. This little kitten was going to be a piece of cake.

Retsurai braced himself this time, clinging to the moss at his feet, and closed his eyes so he could concentrate without looking at that infuriating grinning face. After a moment he could feel his fur bristling with electricity, and looked back up just in time to be hit by another blast of energy. Unlike the last time, however, he was able to ignore the buzzing sound - in fact, he felt tougher than before - and grin back at the other Pokemon, still upright. Her eyes narrowed. With all the electrical power he had built up and the easy familiarity of his next move, Retsurai had to focus for just a second this time before firing off a powerful bolt of electricity, one of the tougher attacks in his arsenal - a Thunderbolt.

Her opponent was looking at her expectantly, and Koutus had to bite back a growl of her own as she looked back, her grin a little bit more forced this time. It hadn't hurt too much with her resistance to electricity, but it had hurt more than she had anticipated. Tough, for a kitten. Retsurai, however, was staring at her with wide eyes. The look on his face said plainly how the hell are you still grinning after that? Enjoying his bewilderment, Koutus launched her final Signal Beam, and then stood back to watch as Retsurai tossed his head, imagining he was trying very hard to ignore the effects of the buzzing. She certainly didn't envy him that after having been on the receiving end of a Signal Beam once herself, but it looked like he had successfully warded off the confusion and was ready for revenge.

Retsurai tensed and flew at Koutus, snarling as he bit into her shoulder. She hissed and bucked wildly, her perfect, irritating composure finally broken. Retsurai held on tight, digging his teeth deeper into her skin. And then an electric pulse coursed through his mouth. Retsurai let go in shock, falling into the moss. He immediately attempted to sit up and flinched as the prickling electricity took hold of him. His legs felt just as numb as his mouth did, and he realized with a jolt that he was paralyzed.

Koutus backed away from Retsurai, panting from the effort of trying to throw him off. She shook her head once, willing herself not to think about the pain in her shoulder, and evaluated her opponent. Retsurai was lying on the ground in a heap. He looked surprised and upset despite the damage he'd just done. But why wasn't he getting up...? As she continued to watch, he finally stood, giving her look that was falteringly confident as he winced again. Was he... paralyzed? ... Static! It must have taken effect when he'd bitten her! ... Hah! Koutus threw her head back and laughed, and Retsurai just stared at her wide-eyed. The kitten across from her was tired out and injured and paralyzed, and she was still raring to go, feeling in perfect health except for the tiny pains in her shoulder. This battle was in the bag!

- Round End -

Blastoise (1/3 Pokemon)
Koutus ♀ - Static
Manectric
"This is going to be a piece of cake~"
Health: 77%
Energy: 85%
Actions: Signal Beam ~ Signal Beam ~ Signal Beam
Other: n/a

Blazhy (1/3 Pokemon)
Retsurai ♂ - Intimidate
Luxio
"Damn it... why aren't my legs working right?!"
Health: 48%
Energy: 61%
Actions: Charge ~ Thunderbolt ~ Crunch
Other: +1 attack, +1 Special Defense, paralyzed (moderate, -2 speed, will decrease in severity in 6 actions), Magnet Rise (1 more action)

Arena Notes:
  • Green moss rolled 84 (needed <26), so there will be no green moss next round.

Notes:
  • As Signal Beam does 75 damage, it can have either 1% or 2% added to energy. I used 2% because of the added effect of confusion, and also Koutus might take more energy to use it since she's being attacked at the same time.
  • Charge seems really useful, so it was left at the base energy.
  • Electroleviate is Magnet Rise.
  • It's a Set match, so I guess Ooo means one Pokemon remaining.
  • Blastoise's number of Pokemon remaining was cut off, but Retsurai's clearly already been fighting while Koutus is new, so Blastoise is probably also down to the last Pokemon.
  • Retsurai was moderately paralyzed since he bit right into Koutus and so was very directly affected by the electricity.
  • Mostly used the official ASB guide, looked at Kratos's guide for paralysis.
  • blazheirio889 posts first next round.

Action Synopsis:
  • Signal Beam - damage 7% base + 1% evo, energy 3% base + 2% PP - 1% evo +1% not-STAB, accuracy rolled 81 (needed 100), confusion rolled 60 (needed <10), critical hit rolled 8 (needed <6)
  • Charge - energy 3%, +1 SPD, Retsurai's Thunderbolt will be doubled in power
  • Signal Beam - damage 8% - 1% stats boosts, 5% energy, accuracy rolled 5 (needed 100), confusion rolled 85 (needed <11), critical hit rolled 85 (needed <6)
  • Thunderbolt - damage 9% base *2 Charge Boost + 4% STAB - 8% resistance, energy 3% + 2% PP, accuracy rolled 67 (needed 100), paralysis rolled 31 (needed <11), critical hit rolled 97 (needed <6)
  • Signal Beam - damage 8% - 1% stat boosts, energy 5%, accuracy rolled 92 (needed 100), confusion rolled 45 (needed <11), critical hit rolled 31 (needed <6)
  • Crunch - damage 8% base + 1% stat boost, energy 3% base + 2% PP +1% not-STAB, accuracy rolled 31 (needed 100), minus defense rolled 44 (needed <21), Static rolled 10, successful (needed <31), critical hit rolled 54 (needed <6)

Energy and Damage
  • Koutus's health: 100% - Thunderbolt (14%), Crunch (9%) = 77%
  • Koutus's energy: 100% - Signal Beam (5%), Signal Beam (5%), Signal Beam (5%) = 85%
    --
  • Retsurai's health: 70% - Signal Beam (8%), Signal Beam (7%), Signal Beam (7%) = 48%
  • Retsurai's energy: 75% - Charge (3%), Thunderbolt (5%) Crunch (6%) = 61%

NUMBER OF POKEMON: 2v2
BATTLE TYPE: Singles
RECOVERIES: Two Recovers per Pokemon | Five Chills per Pokemon
SWITCH: Switch=KO
ITEMS: Items OFF
ABILITIES: All Abilities

The ASB Tournament Arena

Surrounded by thousands of screaming Pokemon fans, the ASB Arena can be best described as a standard Pokemon battling arena. In the center of the arena lies a dirt-based floor outlined to show two separate sides (with a white Pokeball center). Surrounding the dirt is a moat filled with water. The moat is about fifteen feet wide and creates a perimeter around the dirt arena. The arena itself is eighty feet wide, one hundred feet long. All moves, weathers, and abilities are legal for the match, since it's an outdoor arena with a large water source and packed dirt. Pokemon must stay in the arena (or the dimensions of the arena in the case of Flying Pokemon, who cannot leave the arena and cannot fly higher than sixty feet). This prevents Pokemon from injuring the crowd watching the tournament. There are no outside interruptions by fans, Pokemon, or other elements not associated with the current battle.

Deck Knight
Steelix
Will Powers
Ability:Rock Head
Health:54
Energy:74
Stats:Nothing Of Note
Commands:Dig Down~Harden against water, sooth burn~Rise and Earthquake

Galladiator
Gallade
Roman
Ability:Steadfast
Health:72
Energy:75
Stats:-2 Defense, -2 Special Defense.
Commands:Leaf Blade~Close Combat~Leaf Blade

Round One-Begin!

The battle was already well under way when the newbie replaced the tired referee, eager for a chance to earn the title of Ref. He quickly assessed the situation, recorded the condition of the two combatants, a Steelix and a Gallade, and raised a green flag in the air. He brought it down and blew on his whistle simultaneously, signalling the match to a start.

Almost instantly, Roman charged up some green, natural energy around his bladed arm. Still enraged at his foe's earlier taunts, he wanted nothing more than to deal some serious damage. He charged at the Steelix and slashed the steel snake sharply. Will Powers groaned in abject pain, before slinking away and burrowing underground, eager to escape the green-knife-armed menace. He went not only downwards but also forwards, reaching for the perimeter of water like his trainer has commanded.

This time, Roman has no target. His temper flared-(how DARE that coward run!) and he unleashed his attack on the ground below him, a strong series of blows that left deep impacts in the dirt floor. He seethed, losing a little bit of care and becoming more reckless, dropping his guard. Underground, Will Powers burrowed against the edge of the moat, allowing it to sooth his burn. In this relief, the Steelix remembers his trainer's commands, and begins to secret a mucus, thick and greasy, that quickly dried, giving the Steelix an extra layer of protection.

Burn soothed, Will Powers slowly made his way upwards, slipping into the moat as he does so. His gigantic steel frame almost gets the better of him, but he manages to pull himself ashore. Roman wastes no time in attacking, gathered up that natural green energy around his arm, and again rushed in and slashed the Steelix across the face. In retaliation, Will Powers leaped into the air, and drove his body with as much force as he could muster against the arena's dirt floor. The resounding shockwave smashed Roman against, giving him a great battering, the dirt floor soaking up a little of the impact, but not much.

The young referee blows his whistle and raises the flag, signalling the round's end. It is time for the trainers to issue new orders.

Round One-End

Deck Knight
Steelix
Will Powers
Ability:Rock Head
Health:18
Energy:56
Stats:Defense +1
Commands:Dig Down~Harden against water, sooth burn~Rise and Earthquake

Galladiator
Gallade
Roman
Ability:Steadfast
Health:55
Energy:57
Stats:-3 Defense, -3 Special Defense.
Commands:Leaf Blade~Close Combat~Leaf Blade

Arena Notes

There is a tunnel in the center of the field, filled with water from where Will Powers dug to the moat.

A large network of cracks radiates from where Will Powers used Earthquake, and a smaller one from where Roman was smashed into the ground.

Action Calculations:
Leaf Blade:Damage Dealt [10], Energy Cost [5], (accuracy roll [67], needed [100] to miss - succeeded)
Dig Down: Energy Cost [3].
Close Combat: Energy Cost [8]
Harden: Energy Cost [3]
Leaf Blade:Damage Dealt [80], Energy Cost [5], (accuracy roll [19], needed [100] to miss - succeeded).
Earthquake:Damage Dealt [17], Energy Cost [6] ((accuracy roll [60], needed [100] to miss - succeeded)

Action Notes
Though Dig's ordinary energy cost is 6%, according to Altered Origin's Calculator, but that can account for going up and down-because Will Powers only went down, halving the cost seemed wise.

"Slowly ascend[ing] the water" seems rather hard for a Steelix to accomplish, so a 6% energy cost was added, as it would be quite a struggle for something so huge and bulky to swim upwards.

Earthquake's normal damage, according to Altered Origin's Calculator, is 19%. 2% were deducted from this total because the dirt floor seems as if it would absorb a small amount of impact.

Back
Top Bottom