• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Referee Headquarters

I'd try out for a lower rank, but it looks like the only mock there is for Advanced. Oh well!

View Post
2 vs. 2
Single battle
Set style
Disqualification: 7 days
Restrictions: No OHKOs, no direct healing moves.
Damage Cap: 50%
Arena: Castelia City Park
Description: Castelia City is the hub of the Unova region, and the park in its centre is a spot of relative calm and tranquility. At least, it usually is. Today, two trainers duke it out in front of the huge fountain while a baying crowd urges them on. Clusters of people at each exit from the plaza block any terrestrial exit - the only thing stopping you from flying away is the knowledge that doing so is an extreme dick move.

End of Round One!

processr's pokemon OO

Linoone
Procione (Male)
Ability: Pickup
Neoversity Move: Pain Split
Health: 78%
Energy: 87%
Commands: Substitute~ Super Fang~ Super Fang

bobandbill's pokemon OO

Wigglytuff
Fury (Male)
Ability: Cute Charm
Neoversity Move: Belly Drum
Health: 98%
Commands: Water Gun~ Counter/Chill/Curse~ Counter/Chill/Curse

Despite his annoyance, Procione is determined to turn the battle around; using something that couldn't miss might be helpful. Luckily his trainer's commands asked for exactly that sort of thing! Hacking up a glowing ball of energy with a rough, grating cough, he watched as the luminous sphere began to shape itself before him. It quickly began to change form, stretching and straining itself into a mammalian shape that looked quite like a linoone. The substitute greeted its creator with a smile; it would do anything to protect its master.

Meanwhile, an irate and irritated wigglytuff seeked the answer to his eye related problem. He was covered in an unpleasant coat of mud, which obscured his vision and made it hard to aim accurately. Seconds later his trainer called out a solution; he should use water gun! Fury was relieved at the thought of the move and reluctantly conceded that trainers weren't that terrible. He had completely forgotten that he knew that move after neglecting to use it for so long!

Tilting his head back and spitting out a mouthful of water, the pink biped let gravity do its job. The liquid poured over his face and rinsed all the mud off; with his face clear he could finally see straight. Grinning triumphantly, the wigglytuff was very surprised when Procione charged straight at him and viciously chomped down on his pink arm with massively powerful jaws. The super fang had hurt a lot, but Fury had prepared for this. He grabbed Procione just as the rodent released his grip on his arm and retailed with another punch. The punch itself was powerful and would have injured Procione severely if it wasn't for one thing; at the last second the substitute had intervened and taken the blow meant for its creator.

And that was definitely going to be the only blow it was going to take. With a massive cry of sadness from the crowd (It was such a poor thing! Why did it have to die?!) the linoone's protector dissipated into nothing.

Growling angrily, the striped raccoon charged at Fury with his fangs bared and ready for implementation. How dare he?! How dare the pink thing kill his friend?! Once again he wickedly bit down on the fuzzy rabbit's arm, but this time the creature barely flinched. Fury repeated his previous action as well, but his attack similarly hampered. Irritated at the pathetic attacks made this round, much of the crowd booed and a few of them left in rage.

Round Two End!

Linoone
Procione (Male)
Health: 51%
Energy: 36%
Status: -1 accuracy, saddened over both the loss of his substitute and the fact that his second super fang didn't work well.
Commands: Substitute~ Super Fang~ Super Fang

Wigglytuff
Fury (Male)
Health: 48%
Energy: 35%
Commands: Water Gun~ Counter~ Counter

Calculations:

Substitute took 13% energy and 25% health.

Water Gun took 2% energy and did no damage. It did get rid of Fury's lowered accuracy, though, and its accuracy roll was 43 (needed 100 to miss).

The first Super Fang rolled a seven (it needed eighty or above to miss), caused 49% damage to Fury and took away 37% energy from Procione. Cute Charm did not activate (rolled three, needed 70 or above to activate).

I assumed counter would still use the same amount of energy if it hit a substitute, so counter took out the substitute and took 49% energy. Accuracy roll was 14.

The next super fang hit the damage cap and did 1% damage. It also took 1% energy. Accuracy roll was 15 (needed eighty or above to miss) and the roll to see if Cute Charm was rolled ended up being 55. It needed seventy or above to activate.

Counter did 2% damage and took 1% energy. The accuracy roll was 47.

Arena notes:

Much of the crowd is disappointed that Procione's substitute died. The rest of the group is upset because nothing significant happened on the last action.

Next round:

Bobandbill attacks first.

Last edited:
(Sorry for any of those stars, my Notes app likes to do that)

I would try out for Novice rank, but the mock isn't there. I suppose I'll try the Advanced level mock, and see how I do.y

2 vs. 2
Single battle
Set style
Restrictions: No OHKOs, no direct healing moves.
Damage Cap: 50%
Arena: Castelia City Park
Description: Castelia City is the hub of the Unova region, and the park in its centre is a spot of relative calm and tranquility. At least, it usually is. Today, two trainers duke it out in front of the huge fountain while a baying crowd urges them on. Clusters of people at each exit from the plaza block any terrestrial exit - the only thing stopping you from flying away is the knowledge that doing so is an extreme dick move.

Pre-Round

The two trainers stand, barely tired at all. They are enjoying the small competition, competitive looks on themselves and their Pokemon alike. The Pokemon duking it out with each other stand silently on the grass, still wet from the morning dew (but not wet enough to actually affect the battle). The two gaze into each other's eyes.*

The crowd waits in anticipation, the trainers choosing their moves carefully. They suddenly give their Pokemon their commands, and the next round begins.

processr (A O)

Linoone
[Procione] Linoone (M)
Health: 78%

bobandbill (A O)

Wigglytuff
[Fury] Wigglytuff (M)
Health: 98%

Round #, Begin!

Fury, being the first one to move, quickly built up water in himself, many people wondering where the water actually comes from. Fury used the weak blast of water, normally intended for attacking, to clear off the mud from the previous Mud Slap. It fell to the ground, creating a very thin lump of mud.*
Shortly after this, Procione focused his energy into a slightly larger shell of himself, with a faint white glow showing around it. It started following the motions of the Linoone. Procione felt slightly dizzy from the amount of health donated to the substitute, but this was only temporary.*

Fury stood, unmoving, as if... Waiting for Procione to move.*

So he did. Procione moved quickly to the Wigglytuff, fangs baring. About a second before the powerful blow hit, Fury moved into a defensive stance and braced for the attack. Procione couldn't stop, however, despite knowing what would happen, due to his forward force. Procione hit his target, but Fury looked undisturbed. Suddenly, Fury moved swiftly, and bit back, even harder. Procione, was, however, able to quickly move behind his substitute, which faded into nothingness directly after the blow. *Procione was surprised Wigglytuff even had fangs of any sort!

Procione stumbled shortly, but stopped before hearing his trainer's next command. Obviously, he was hurting already, but he went forward to Fury, fangs baring once again. He could finally see the wounds Fury had attained.*
Fury, once again, bit with full force, but not before Fury was commanded yet another move.*

Once again, the process repeated, Fury moved quickly to Procione, who had retreated backwards. It felt as if Fury was mocking Procione. Fury, once more, showed fangs. The blow was slightly more powerful than Procione's second, but just barely, for whichever reasons.*

Round # End!

processr (A O)

Linoone
[Procione] Linoone (M)
Health: 51%
Energy: 66%
Status: Surprised at how fast that fat blob can be when it feels like it. -1 Accuracy

bobandbill (A O)

Wigglytuff
[Fury] Wigglytuff (M)
Health: 48% [CAPPED]
Energy: 78%

Damage Calculations

Water Gun did 0%.

Substitute took 25% percent, and faded, taking the first Counter.

The first Super Fang did 49%, and 49 + 49 is 98, so half of 98 is 49.

The second Super Fang capped Fury, so he took only 1% damage.

Due to this, the second Counter did only 2%.

Energy Calculations

Procione's Substitute costed 15%.

Procione's two Super Fang's costed 5% energy each, but due to the same-type bonus and evolution bonus, both were reduced by 2%, resulting in 3% from each Super Fang- as a result, the total from the Super Fangs were 6%, not 10%.

Total, Procione used 21% this round.

Fury's Water Gun costed 3%, but due to the evolution bonus, it only costed 2%.

Both of Fury's Counter's costed 3%, but they were reduced to 2%. Due to the large amount of damage that would've been dealed from the first Counter, I added 3%. For the second, I left it alone due to the fact that it didn't do nearly as much damage. Overall, the two Counter's costed 7%, and Fury's attacks, overall, costed 9%.

If any of these calculations are wrong, please tell me, math isn't my speciality.

Also, I didn't add the 1% to Procione's and Fury's attacks, Super Fang and Counter, because Super Fang was dependent on the foe's health, while Counter was dependent on the damage done.

I used the AO guide, but I couldn't use the calculator as I ref on my iPod. Sorry for any mistakes.

I'm also sure my energy costs for Counter and Super Fang are incorrect, but that wasn't included in the Altered Origin guide. Need some guidance on this.

--------

bobandbill attacks.
processr attacks.
I ref.

Coroxn

I had a lot of trouble figuring out what was going on in your reffing. For the most part it's not bad mechanically (you do need to nail down the difference between "its" and "it's", though), but the way you wrote about the super fang-and-counter exchange mystifies me. If you hadn't spelled out the damage and energy exchanges at the end--which you probably wouldn't for a normal battle--I would have had a monster of a time figuring out exactly what attacks hit whom.

It might just be your wording getting away from you, but substitute's can't attack. Thus it would have to be Procione, not the substitute, that did damage with super fang.

The first super fang should have done 49% damage to the substitute, not 50%. I'm guessing the "deflected" thing is damage docked for the counter stance? So in total it would be 44% energy.

A 100%-damage counter would have cost 50% energy, not 25%.

The 6% damage total you gave for the second super fang doesn't add up correctly with what I think you were stating was the amount of damage Fury took fromt he firs super fang (45%). Energy cost is based on how much an attack would have done without the damage cap, and so the counters should have been worth 50% energy. The second counter should only have done 12% damage, since Fury only took 6% damage from the super fang. I'm not sure how you got that super fang to work out to 18% energy.

You fail to specify what you were rolling out of for cute charm's check, but since Cute Charm has a 30% chance of success, for it to be successful on a 20+ would mean you'd need to be rolling out of... approximately 28.57 for the percentage to work out correctly. Since there's no way for the numbers to work out correctly, you might instead want to go for a simple 7+ out of 10, 70+ out of 100, or 14+ out of 20. And it matters not in the slightest because, since both pokémon are male, you shouldn't be rolling for cute charm anyway.

I'm afraid there's a lot wrong with this. I would suggest that you get a little more experience in ASB before you try out for reffing. Not Approved

Mewtini

You go really overboard on the description here. It hardly seems like the pokémon are in a battle at all, since they have all this free time between attacks to go swimming in the fountain and so on. Aside from the odd tense slip or grammar garble, it's perfectly understandable but... too much. And then abruptly not enough, since I would have had no idea that Procione had been knocked out based on the fact that he was apparently standing around and weeping at the end of the round. His substitute should have taken all of the damage from counter anyway, leaving him fine. If not, the damage cap would have come to his rescue.

Attacks that miss still take the full amount of energy to use. Thus, the missed super fang should still have taken 37% energy, i.e. the amount of energy the second one should have taken, too. Counter takes energy equal to half the damage dealt, so if that was 73% (should have been calculated as though it was 98%, the amount it should have dealt before capping), it would have taken 36% energy.

Both your description and numbers could use work, but I'm more concerned with the numbers here. There are a fair number of gotchas in this scenario, and you fell prey to most of them. In particular, how to handle attacks that miss and with damage altered by the damage cap caused you problems here. Not Approved

Omskivar

Your battle description's great. No problems there.

You were misinformed regarding chills. While I use 10% energy myself, up to 15% energy restored is acceptable, and 20% or so might be better for some scales. 23% is a bit much for the amount of energy you're taking off for other attacks, though (how did you end up with something like 23%, anyway?).

Attacks that miss still cost as much as they would have if they had hit, so the missed super fang should have been much more expensive than 4% energy.

All attacks in ASB have some chance of missing (unless they're like aerial ace or swift), so I didn't think much of super fang missing. Obviously you would want to make the chance of that happening far less than 50% in the future, though, yes.

Super fang should cost 75% as much energy as it deals; in this case, 37% rather than 30%.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with your battle description. Your numbers, though, could use work, and how you handled the chills and the miss suggest that you could still understand some larger ASB concepts a bit better, too. Not Approved

Mai

Your battle description is fine. It's not "seeked," though--try "sought." (And I don't think "implementation" is the word you really wanted at the beginning of the third paragraph.)

You should not have been rolling for cute charm, as both pokémon are male.

Attacks that are truncated by the damage cap should still cost the normal amount of energy that they would if they had actually done the full amount of damage.

All in all a decent reffing. A couple of slip-ups, but wild applause for being the only person to get super fang's energy usage correct. Approved as Novice

Cypher

Your battle description is mostly fine. It gets a little muddy at the end, where you end up with sentences like, "Fury, once again, bit with full force, but not before Fury was commanded yet another move." In general, you have an odd way of wording things that at times makes it difficult to understand you.

A substitute costs energy equal to half the health put into it, rounded down. Procione's should've cost 12%, not 15%.

Super fang's energy cost is 75% of the damage it deals. Counter's energy cost is 50% of the damage it deals. The energy costs for these attacks could be found either in their entry in the Attacks and Abilities guide or in the Energy and Damage guide I linked you to. Thus, both Procione and Fury spent way less energy this round than they ought to have.

Your battle description could use a little polish, but it's mostly the numbers that are the problem. You couldn't use a calculator for them, yes--as this is the advanced mock, that is to some extent the point! In the future, though, you would be well-served to read the attack descriptions carefully, as they tend to offer more concrete guidance for weird moves not covered by most calculators. Not Approved

Even though I'm quite new to ASB, I thought I'd try and test for a novice ref. I think I had a little too much fun with the battle description here, heh heh...

---

2 vs. 2
Single battle
Set Style
Restrictions: No OHKOs, no direct healing moves, no Substitute, Protect, Detect, Endure Taunt, Toxic and Pain Split. Both starting Pokemon are to be PMed to the ref.
Damage Cap: 30%
Arena: The Nexus
Description: Ghost Pokemon go somewhere right? All that talk about randomly vanishing into another dimension. Well, this is where they go. By 'they' I mean 'all of them.'
In this grand stage swathed in shadow, a pristine yet unbreakable glass platform floats through the netherspace. Atop it the battle takes place, surrounded by jeering ghosts of every kind. Every round, if they don't like what they see (20% chance) they will curse you with a random status condition (They can only inflict status on one Pokemon per round, and the status is chosen at random) but they will not attack their own ghostkind.
Team An-Chan (OO)
rotom
Rax (Genderless) <Levitate>
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Thunder Wave ~ Hex / Flash ~ Telekinesis / Frustration

Team Iento (OO)
sharpedo
Carver (Female) <Rough Skin>
Commands: Create Ring of Dark Pulse ~ Swagger ~ Night Slash

Round One Begin!

If anyone was happy to be here, it certainly wasn't Carver. Coupled with the fact that she was facing her former trainer, An-chan, there were ghosts on all sides of the floating arena, jeering at her simply for being there. Angry with them, and with her trainer for bringing her here, she concentrated her darkest thoughts until a ring of pitch-black energy surrounded her, making her appearance all the more intimidating.

The ghosts in the background had quieted down and were staring at the Sharpedo in awe, as was her opponent. She smiled cruelly, not noticing as Rax released a pulse of electricity toward her, until it hit her and she felt her muscles go numb. The Rotom was pleased with his momentary victory, as were the ghosts, who were now cackling at Carver's misfortune.

While Carver was trying to work with her paralyzed muscles, it would have been the perfect opportunity for Rax to attack. However, the clever Rotom decided to wait and let its opponent move first. Carver was offended by this, thinking her opponent was mocking her by not taking the opportunity to attack her. Did it think she wasn't worthy of battling it? Well, she'd show it! She began gloating and showing off to her opponent and their ghostly audience, displaying her menacing Dark Pulse ring for everyone to see and insulting Rax several times.

The Rotom tried to keep its cool, but its opponent's attitude completely enraged it. How dare that stupid shark try and make a fool of it! Gathering up its energy, Rax willed its plasma body to brighten--surely the sudden light would temporarily blind its idiot of an opponent. However, in its berserk state, it was unable to concentrate and ended up hurting itself. At this point, the ghosts in the audience were taking sides; half of them were laughing at Carver and her unresponsive muscles, while the other half were jeering at Rax in his utterly confused state.

Rax was becoming increasingly angrier as the battle went on. Not only had its opponent managed to enrage and confuse it by bragging, but it had failed an attack as simple as Flash! And now the audience--its own ghost-kind, no less--dared to laugh at it! Furiously, it charged at Carver, and unleashed upon her attack after fierce attack. The Sharpedo didn't have time to react and block his barrage with her Dark Pulse ring, but luckily her rough skin gave Rax some scratches.

Now that her opponent was at close range, Carver saw a perfect opportunity to retaliate. She attempted to let herself be covered in darkness and strike Rax with a powerful slash...but she couldn't move. Her muscles simply wouldn't cooperate. Rax snickered at her, as did the ghosts in the audience, who seemed to be pleased with all the chaos of this battle so far. Before they could annoy the Sharpedo anymore, though, the referee blew her whistle, signaling the end of the first round.

Round One End!

Team An-Chan (OO)
rotom
Rax (Genderless) <Levitate>
Health: 96%
Energy: 89%
Status: Sneering at Carver, and slowly coming back to its senses. +2 attack, moderately confused (25% chance of hurting itself on any action)
Actions: Thunder Wave ~ Flash (failed) ~ Frustration

Team Iento (OO)
sharpedo
Carver (Female) <Rough Skin>
Health: 89%
Energy: 89%
Status: Very annoyed with Rax and the ghostly audience. Severely paralyzed (moves have 25% chance of failing and those that require movement cost 2% extra energy each to use, speed is reduced by 2 stages).
Actions: Create Ring of Dark Pulse ~ Swagger ~ [Paralyzed]

Damage/Energy Calculations:
  • Dark Pulse: 5% energy from Carver
  • Thunder Wave: 2% energy from Rax
  • Swagger: 6% energy from Carver
  • Flash: 3% energy from Rax
  • Frustration: 11% damage to Carver, 6% energy from Rax

Arena Notes:
  • Nothing out of the ordinary yet.

Other Notes:
  • In the Pokémon statuses, "Commands" in the pre-round refers to the commands given, while "Actions" in the post-round refers to what the Pokémon actually did.
  • I wasn't sure what to do with that Dark Pulse ring, so I made it so that if the opponent makes contact with Carver, there is a 50% chance they would take 2% damage in addition to Rough Skin damage. Luckily for Rax, this didn't happen when it used Frustration.
  • Despite Rax being faster on the second action, due to the nature of An-chan's commands, it let Carver move first.
  • Rax hurt itself in confusion (2% damage) on the second action. (The other 2% damage it took was from Rough Skin)
  • Carver was fully paralyzed on the third action.
  • The ghosts in the audience did not curse the battlers.
  • For me, paralysis takes five actions to decrease in severity (ex. from 'severe' to 'moderate'), while confusion only takes two, meaning Rax's confusion would be moderate at the start of the next round.

Next Round:
  • Iento orders.
  • An-chan orders.
  • I ref.

---

Bleh, there are probably about a million things wrong with this, but at least I tried ;.;

Thanks for the feedback, Negrek! I'll try again. Damn I love writing these things. Again, aiming for Advanced but okay to settle for Novice.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​
Advanced-Level Mock
Battle Description
2 versus 2 (single battle)
I'll send out my Pokémon first, then the other dude sends out and orders attacks. And then I order my attacks.
DQ Time:
5 days
Arena:
The generic meadow. A small pond is located to one side with a sand bank. A varied amount of rocks are dotted about randomly, sizes ranging from 2 inches to 6 foot in height. Weather; pretty clear.

Current Pokémon Status
Team Toucan Sundae OO
Litwick (F)
Litwick
Flash fire
83%HP
80%EN
Commands: Trick Room~Toxic//Chill~Hex/Toxic/Chill/Shadow Ball

Team Greyfox OO
Tiamat (F)
Axew
Mold Breaker
73%HP
84%EN
+Atk, +1Acc
Cursed
Commands:Taunt, Toxic, Night Slash!

GO GO GADGET: ROUND TWO

As the Trainers finish their contemplation, The Omskivar raises his flag in his claws and signals the start of the second round.

"Hey, Gloopy!" shouts Tiamat immediately, adopting a sneering look on her reptilian features. "I don't know how you can do anything when your body sticks together like that. C'mon, hit me! I bet you can't even hit me from there!" Glaring, her flame blazing angrily, Litwick vows to prove her worth to that stupid Axew. She tries to concentrate and perform a...what, again? Embarassed, Litwick contents herself with burning holes through the dragon's skull with her eyes.

Meanwhile, impressed with her work, Tiamat heaves her stomach, bringing up only the most vile of substances that Axew can safely handle: a mouthful of her own venom. Squinting in disgust, she spews the gunk at the discombobulated Litwick, who screams as the poison makes contact with her waxy body and begins to soak in; soon, the Candle Pokemon's white shape has taken on a slight, sickly purple hue. Litwick attempts to replicate the attack, but can't stop focusing on the Axew's antagonistic remarks; all Litwick can think about is laying the hurt down on that stupid Tusk Pokemon.

Laughing outwardly, Tiamat concentrates and envelops her right hand in an aura of darkness. Dashing forward to the unfortunate Litwick, she rakes her recently sharpened claws across what she assumes to be the opponent's stomach; the attack leaves three gashes in the wax, which quickly fade. The Litwick squeals in pain, but quickly recuperates and becomes furious. Three attacks in a row and she hadn't done anything; it was time to bring on the PAIN. She concentrated on forming a Shadow Ball, then changed her mind and quickly turned it into a Toxic; no, she couldn't waste time with statuses, she had to Hex the damn thing; oh to hell with it! She didn't know what to do. Burning with rage, she scowled, unable to decipher her Trainer's wishes. Suddenly, she screamed as a murky purple streak stretched across her waxy body, the poison in her surfacing and coursing through her...well, not veins, I don't think, but whatever transfers fluids in a Litwick (The Omskivar scribbled down a note to investigate this). She couldn't top Tiamat's bloodcurdling screech, however, as the Axew saw things in her mind, terrible things, that she could never unsee; the Tusk Pokemon clawed at her head in an attempt to make it stop, but to no avail.

ROUND TWO: FINITE

Current Pokémon Status
Team Toucan Sundae OO
Litwick (F)
Litwick
Flash fire
68%HP
80%EN
Badly poisoned (1% this round, 2% the next)
Taunted (two more actions)
Commands: Trick Room~Toxic//Chill~Hex/Toxic/Chill/Shadow Ball

Team Greyfox OO
Tiamat (F)
Axew
Mold Breaker
63%HP
75%EN
+1Atk, +1Acc
Cursed
Commands:Taunt, Toxic, Night Slash!

Calculations:
-Taunt: 0% damage, 3% energy (accuracy 17, 100 to miss)
-Toxic: 0% damage, 4% energy (accuracy 73, 90 to miss)
-Night Slash: 14% damage, 4% energy (accuracy 51, 100 to miss)

Notes:
-Taunt prevented Trick Room and Toxic from happening.
-Quadconditional definitely failed. Litwick had no idea what to do.
-Night Slash was not a critical hit.
-I like italics.
-I have no idea how a Litwick's anatomy works.
-I totally reffed it as Night Slash activating Flame Body before I double checked and saw that Litwick's ability is Flash Fire.
-Greyfox attacks next

2 vs. 2
Single battle
Set Style
Restrictions: No OHKOs, no direct healing moves, no Substitute, Protect, Detect, Endure Taunt, Toxic and Pain Split. Both starting Pokemon are to be PMed to the ref.
Damage Cap: 30%
Arena: The Nexus
Description: Ghost Pokemon go somewhere right? All that talk about randomly vanishing into another dimension. Well, this is where they go. By 'they' I mean 'all of them.'
In this grand stage swathed in shadow, a pristine yet unbreakable glass platform floats through the netherspace. Atop it the battle takes place, surrounded by jeering ghosts of every kind. Every round, if they don't like what they see (20% chance) they will curse you with a random status condition (They can only inflict status on one Pokemon per round, and the status is chosen at random) but they will not attack their own ghostkind.

An-chan

Rotom
[Rax] Rotom (X)
Ability: Levitate

Iento
Sharpedo
[Carver] Sharpedo (F)
Ability: Rough Skin

ROUND 1 START!

With a start of both opponents eyeing each other down, Carver finally makes his move. He recalls he was supposed to make a ring of dark energy to surround him, so he tries his hardest and succeeds in making a dark aura surrounding him, which he becomes proud of. Rax thinks nothing of this (and neither do the ghosts of the arena), however, and quickly creates a bunch of plasma energy. After charging the energy for a while, Rax feels content with all the plasma it had created and launched it straight at Carver colliding with her making the poor Sharpedo feel numb with paralysis. The spirits did not like this, however, but decided to ignore this because of the fact that Rax was one of their fellow ghosts.

Rax, remembering being told to wait for Carver to attack by his trainer, snickered and sneered at the Sharpedo silently while it waited. After a while of waiting it realized she was too struck from paralysis to move, and decided to use the move its trainer planned it to use all along. Rax started mumbling to itself quietly, supposedly cursing something.. A few moments later, the dark energy made by Carver's Dark Pulse started moving closer and closer to her until it started stinging her repeatedly, damaging the unfortunate Sharpedo badly. The Sharpedo, still hurting from paralysis, was hurting more and more now that that... that pokemon had hurt her severely. She cursed that Rotom under her breath.

Rax decided to make an even bigger mockery out of the opponent and lifted it up into the air. Carver, now terrified out of her mind and still immobile from paralysis, did not at all like the Rotom or her old trainer any more. The Sharpedo, apparently still immobile, was practically waiting for the round to be over. The Rotom, now bursting with laughter, felt really proud and accomplished of how this round turned out to go. The referee, even laughing a bit himself, decided it had gone on long enough and waved his flags.

ROUND ONE END!

Iento
Sharpedo
[Carver] Sharpedo (F)
Health: 92%
Energy: 95%
Ability: Rough Skin
Status: Really pissed. Paralyzed (moderate). 18% of failure.

An_Chan
Rotom
[Rax] Rotom (X)
Energy: 90%
Ability: Levitate

Energy and damage calc:

Dark Pulse-5% energy.
Thunder Wave- 2% energy.
Hex- 8% damage, 4% energy.
/paralyzed/ (rolled 83, needed 82 or higher for paralysis)
Telekinesis- 4% energy.
/paralyzed yet again/ (rolled 82, needed 82 or higher for full paralysis)

Notes:
-Sharpedo parafailed twice.
-Is that even how Hex works?
-The above.
-Iento to attack next.
-The spirits decided to put a status condition on Rax but they quickly realized that was a fellow ghost.

Last edited:
Hello! I will be auditioning for the role of kicker advanced ref, as there are already people doing the novice mock.

Battle Description said:
2 versus 2 (single battle)
I'll send out my Pokémon first, then the other dude sends out and orders attacks. And then I order my attacks.
DQ Time: 5 days
Arena: The generic meadow. A small pond is located to one side with a sand bank. A varied amount of rocks are dotted about randomly, sizes ranging from 2 inches to 6 foot in height. Weather; pretty clear.

TOUCAN SUNDAE vs GREYWOLF

Toucan Sundae
O O
Litwick
Litwick♀ | Flash Fire
HP: 83/100 EN: 80/100

"Come join me in death... time is ticking."

Greywolf
O O
Axew
Tiamat♀ | Moldbreaker
HP: 73/100 EN: 84/100
Curse (-10)
+1 ATK, +1 Accuracy

"My claws outshine your curses!"

- Commence Battle -

The phantasmal candle's flame begins to glow a bright violet of sinister quality. Tiamat, just yards away, could feel the very fabric of time begin to distort from underneath her feet. Not wasting any time at all, the Axew chooses words as her weapon. She calls out to the Litwick, disturbing her focus, and cries utter obscenities -- by ghost standards, at least. Tiamat's antagonistic speechcraft evokes memories of mortal life; memories left to fade into the past, no longer fit to be retained by the departed. The memories sting as if they were burns, drawing out the Litwick's ire. Discontent with strategic workarounds, the candle's flame burns red with rage.

Tiamat, feeling smugly superior, finishes her last sentence with a putrid belch, expelling dire fumes of a nature most foul. The gases envelop the Litwick's waxy body and seep into her insides, inflicting a terrible sickness. The Litwick, still burning with anger, poises to spread the disease, but cannot find it in herself to perform -- she didn't want disease. She wanted blood.

Unfortunately for the little candle, Tiamat is none too sorry about capitalising on her idle rage. Drawing close for combat, the Axew cocks her neck to the side, then thrusts forward, digging a cheek-blade deep into the Litwick's squishy sides. Normally unfazed by such techniques, the devilish intentions imbued within the slash sear to the core. Squealing in pain, the outraged Litwick hops about, crying furiously; she isn't quite sure how to respond to the assault with her thoughts all jumbled.

- End Round -
Toucan Sundae
O O
Litwick
Litwick♀ | Flash Fire
HP: 72/100 EN: 80/100
V. Severe Poison (-1)

"You will join me in the afterlife!!"

Greywolf
O O
Axew
Tiamat♀ | Moldbreaker
HP: 63/100 EN: 74/100
Curse (-10)
+1 ATK, +1 Accuracy

"A temper tantrum? What a baby."

Action synopsis

Litwick: Trick Room ~ Toxic/Chill ~ Hex/Toxic/Chill/Shadow Ball
Tiamat: Taunt ~ Toxic ~ Night Slash

1. Tiamat taunts Litwick
  2. Litwick is unable to Trick Room due to Taunt
  3. Tiamat poisons Litwick with Toxic (5 EN)
  4. Litwick is unable to Toxic due to Taunt
  5. Tiamat uses Night Slash on Litwick (11 HP, 5 EN)
  6. Litwick is unable to perform any action (Taunt, conditional limit violation)

Extra notes
  • Toucan Sundae, remember that you cannot have more than three conditional actions; therefore, the Shadow Ball command was ignored.
  • Taunt prevented all of Litwick's actions.
  • Litwick's poison will deal 2% next round unless healed.
  • No terrain/weather effects occurred.
  • Greywolf attacks next.
[As an aside, I am genuinely confused as to how Litwick started with 83% HP if it had just used Curse. It would be understandable if a previous Pokémon had used Curse instead, but the example text implies the Litwick had Cursed just last round.]

Last edited:
:( I keep thinking Negrek uPdates when you post and am so like
:o) then I'm like D:

Negrek gave this post a spam warning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: ASB Referee Headquarters

This ended up being in alphabetical order rather than posting order. Eh.

While unfortunately nobody passed this round, all the mocks were good and I think that the people who tried out have a good chance of passing if they reapply.

Alvyren

Your description is pretty good overall, but sometimes your attempts at sounding fancy simply backfire, and it gets hard to follow what's going on. "Normally unfazed by such techniques, the devilish intentions imbued within the slash sear to the core." is a weird dangling participle, for example.

Did the taunt wear off at the end of the round? It's unclear.

It looks as though you didn't dock any energy for taunt, but it's an attack like any other and should have been about 4% energy. You forgot to take the 1% for poison off Litwick's health.

Regarding curse: this battle is from another league where the curse mechanics are different.

I really don't like that you didn't take any energy off for the taunt, but that's the only large issue here. Go for clarity before style in your description. It's a tough call, but I think I'll say Not Approved for now.

The Omskivar

Your battle description is good. No problems there.

I have quadconditionals almost always fail, unless they're made simple enough that I can easily understand what's going on with them. (This usually doesn't happen, and certainly didn't in this case.)

Taunt lasts three actions.

Did you double the damage from night slash because ghost is weak to dark? It's only a 1.5x increase in this league. I'm not sure how else you'd be ending up with that number. 4% wouldn't be enough to knock off for an attack that deals out 14% damage, in any case.

Hmmph, there wasn't enough damage going around this round for me to tell if that was just an isolated goof in calculations, if your scale actually runs that high, or if you really are doubling SE damage. That' the only major thing wrong, but it's kind of a big problem. I would rather say Not Approved until I see some more attack damage calculations off you.

RK-10

Your battle description is a bit rough. Watch out for run-on sentences.

I'm not sure why you had thunder wave start at less than normal, severe paralysis (25% chance of attack failure). It got dissipated slightly by the dark energy or something? Also, I don't know what you mean by "is that even how Hex works?" Is *what* even how hex works?

You aren't clear on what's up with the dark pulse ring. Did it stay for more action? It appeared not to do anything--but if it was indeed sustained, what effects (if any) would it have?

Your energy numbers are a little weird. Dark pulse was 5% and hex was 4%; if you were taking hex at 100 bp, it should cost at least 5% energy (on par with dark pulse), whereas if you didn't up the energy cost for the BP doubling, it should instead cost less than 4% energy, as it's barely over half the power of dark pulse.

This is pretty borderline. I'm not liking that energy slip-up, and your handling of the dark pulse ring was strange. Your description could use some polish, too. I would prefer if you tried again so I could see more of your energy calculations, since this round was so full of parafail. Not Approved

Zapi

Your battle description is fine. There's not much to say about it one way or the other.

I personally would not have let a more-than-transient dark pulse ring go through, but at least you were clear about what its effects were.

6% is extreme energy for swagger (on par with an 11% damage attack!), and I'm not sure if flash's energy is the cost of flash + a cost of hurting oneself in confusion, or just the cost of hurting oneself in confusion, or what. Since the attack failed, I wouldn't dock actual energy for the flash, and I wouldn't charge more than 1% for dealing oneself minor damage.

For me, paralysis takes five actions to decrease in severity (ex. from 'severe' to 'moderate'), while confusion only takes two, meaning Rax's confusion would be moderate at the start of the next round.
Fine, although confusion should also go down more quickly in response to taking damage.

Hmm. The energy's fairly wonky, but that's the only large problem. I would say I don't feel quite comfortable approving you for now, but you're pretty close. Not Approved

It was indeed an isolated miscalculation, the 1.5x boost was not something I was aware of. So two questions for future reference:

1. An attack's power doubling or otherwise increasing due to a condition such as a lack of item for Acrobatics, the foe's status for Hex, or a simple type advantage, would also result in a larger consumption of energy? That's the impression I'm getting, but logically that wouldn't make any sense, since the Pokemon isn't being ordered to make any extra effort.

2. What's the increase for a 4x weakness? i.e. a Flying attack on Breloom.

Sure, I can try again. The energy slip was because I wasn't sure if the boost would be able to cost more energy.

It was indeed an isolated miscalculation, the 1.5x boost was not something I was aware of. So two questions for future reference:

1. An attack's power doubling or otherwise increasing due to a condition such as a lack of item for Acrobatics, the foe's status for Hex, or a simple type advantage, would also result in a larger consumption of energy? That's the impression I'm getting, but logically that wouldn't make any sense, since the Pokemon isn't being ordered to make any extra effort.

There's an energy increase because the base power for the move increases. The higher the base power, the more energy used. Maybe it doesn't make logical sense in some cases, but that's how energy is calculated - if it was all based on logic, some energy usages would be seriously skewed. :P

The increase for a 4x weakness is 2x damage. e.g. Say Aerial Ace deals 6% to a Sharpedo - the same Pokemon using Aerial Ace would deal 12% to Breloom.

1. I agree, it doesn't make sense to have things like doubled hex damage and so on cost more energy than their base versions. Some referees do, but I don't. I also don't alter energy cost for attacks affected by stat boosts.

2. A 1x weakness is a 1.5x multiplier; a 4x weakness is a 2x multiplier. A full list of the possible damage modifiers is available in the old Energy and Damage Guide.

Edit: Arrrgh, ninja'd.

I might have overlooked one, but a link to the Energy and Damage Guide would be awesome to have in the first post, maybe?

Thanks, you two, I'll start right away on the new mock.

Yeah, it used to be stickied, but I took it down a while ago since I've started working on a new scale. I should probably put it back up since that's taking longer than expected.

Back
Top Bottom