• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The QUILTBAG Club (formerly the LGBT club)

linking to another site here: click

Basically this is a thread I started about homosexuality over there because I knew that there were some religious people and I wanted to know their views. Read the thread, and you'll see why I'm so exasperated at the moment.

I honestly could not read further than the first page for fear of snapping my laptop in half. I would ask if it gets better, but judging by your exasperation I would wager it doesn't.

Lorem, why did I read all nine pages? Why didn't I just stop before I raged?

Good god, how do you put up with these people?

Homosexuality is completely choice. I do NOT believe in people being born to be homosexual because that is totally invalid. From the day we're born, we will be attracted to the opposite gender. Homosexuals are those who THINK they're attracted to the same sex, when in fact they simply are looking in the wrong point of view.

...the fuck. Oh, believe me, I sure as hell didn't choose to like my best friend! If given the option, I'd definitely trade that for liking someone else. And I'm absolutely positive I like her; hell, I felt the same way about another friend and my opposite gender crushes. (actually, my sister could tell I had a crush on my best friend because I had the same attitude towards said friend as I did towards another female crush of mine SO)

I'm currently reading the rest of this but that post filled me with raaaaaaaaaage and thus.

(oh speaking of I was talking to my sis who knows and I mentioned that said crush didn't like me talking about my then-boyfriend. Sister's response was "Maybe she's jealous!" I wish, sis, I wish.)

that thread made my head hurt
blah blah I didn't choose to be anything, my oestrogen/testosterone levels do not dictate what gender I am attracted to, who I am attracted to is not the result of a "birth defect" or any other bullshit

also this bugged me a bit, even though it's not really related to the thread in question...
"True gender" is determined by chromosomes - a man has an X and a Y and a woman two Xs. This is it - there is nothing else that categorically makes one a man or a woman.

(oh speaking of I was talking to my sis who knows and I mentioned that said crush didn't like me talking about my then-boyfriend. Sister's response was "Maybe she's jealous!" I wish, sis, I wish.)

I dunno, you're sister seems pretty spot on about these things

I dunno, you're sister seems pretty spot on about these things

But there's also the problem of "she has a boyfriend whom she loves a hell of a lot and they are the cutest thing ever." Though tbh whenever she does something that could theoretically be misconstrued as her crushing on me she just says "but I don't like you that way" so maybe there's hope?

(also the occasional pulling-me-onto-her-lap and the fact that she gets really upset if I'm in one of my people-hate-me moods)

Homosexuality is completely choice.

Why would anyone choose to be homosexual and have people discriminate against you, hate you, stereotype you, try to kill you, disrespect you, claim that you're an inferior species, call you unnatural, and pretend you don't exist?

also this bugged me a bit, even though it's not really related to the thread in question...

"True gender" is determined by chromosomes - a man has an X and a Y and a woman two Xs. This is it - there is nothing else that categorically makes one a man or a woman.

Why are you bugged? Don't XX/XY chromosomes determine biological sex?

Intersexuality aside (though it's the I in the club name!), they are saying true gender.

... I suppose I stalk this club enough that I might as well join. Not participating in anything resembling human interaction, I don't see myself having a lot to say, but you can never have too many amoebas, right.

That was me - I put "true gender" in inverted commas because I was highly uncertain that the other (more religious) posters would understand the difference between sex/gender. It pained me to do so, but that would have been going down a whole different route with a whole load of different irritations.

And so I shall change the topic.

Lots of QUILTBAG-y goodness in tonight's Glee episode. I feel happy knowing that somewhere out there, some one (Kurt) is less sexy that me.

Lorem Ipsum said:
Tchaikovsky was gay - he wrote "Romeo and Juliet" partly due to his very close relationship with Mily Balakirev, a fellow Russian composer. Shakespeare wrote some of the most beautiful poetry in the English language in (romantic) devotion to a man. Elton John, Ian McKellen, Oscar Wilde, Alan Turing (without whom our war efforts would have severely been held back), David Bowie, Benjamin Britten, Stephen Fry, W. H. Auden, Wilfred Owen -- the list could go on of people who are gay and have culturally given to us so much.

Oi. Queer women have contributed significantly to the cultural landscape, too, even when it's been much harder for them to do so - in 1999 Carol Anne Duffy was passed over as poet laureate because Tony Blair was "'worried about having a homosexual poet laureate because of how it might play in middle England", and wasn't given the job until 2009.

The list of gay people who've contributed culturally does go on. It includes Virginia Woolf, Daphne Du Maurier, Jeanette Winterson, Vita Sackville-West, Sarah Waters, Gertrude Stein - hell, Sappho herself!

Carol Ann Duffy: awesome.
Virginia Woolf: awesome.
Daphne du Maurier: awesome.
Sarah Waters: awesome.

First year of an English course, guys. My university is *awesome* yeah.

(Also, on the men's list: where's Allen Ginsberg? He's cool too.)

Yeah but they're ~girls~ and ~lesbians~ and that's like, combining two bad things to make a super bad thing. :( stop being lesbian please, needs moar dick

Hey, Harlequin? Could you stop with the hipster misogyny? It's incredibly irritating.

Back
Top Bottom