• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

UK General Elections 2010

I was on itv.com while watching and some of the facebook status updates were amazing

Gordon is flirting with Nick. Nick shows him the cold shoulder. David flirts with himself.
I lol'd so hard at this one

Oh, the flirting with Nick was painful. Almost as much as Cameron thanking everyone (at some length) who asked him a bloody question.

For anyone else up at half-two in the morning with nothing better to do: have an article by JKR that raises some excellent points.

Dannichu said:
have an article by JKR

I somehow read this as "JFK" and was rather disappointed that John F. Kennedy did not come back from the grave. :(

Is the debate recorded anywhere? I totally want to see it/the Clegg.

<3

Latest opinion polls show that the Liberal Democrats at 29%
iknorite? most polls are saying that they've overtaken Labour, a few are even suggesting that they're doing better than the Conservatives.

let's just hope that this hype doesn't die down before the election~

I honestly don't get the hype for the LibDems. The only reason they have a resurgence at the moment is because of their policy on cleaning up Westminster, in the bigger picture. Some of their other policies are atrocious: scrapping Trident would be horrendous for the country; the Schools' Premium would mean that rural, well-kept schools would get more money than those in London suburbs; and the £10,000 income tax allowance would give a bigger boost to one on £50,000 than one on £15,000.

wait what

getting rid of a huge, unnecessary, money-sucking relic is a bad thing?

OH NO WHAT IF CHINA ATTACKS US

OH NO WHAT IF IRAN ATTACKS US

OH NO NOW PEOPLE WON'T BE SCARED OF US

also I vaguely remember someone saying something about 'scrapping it until we have the money to pay for a better one'

OH NO WHAT IF CHINA ATTACKS US

OH NO WHAT IF IRAN ATTACKS US

OH NO NOW PEOPLE WON'T BE SCARED OF US

OH NO WHAT IF NORTH KOREA ATTACKS US

OH NO WHAT IF WE LOSE OUR SECURITY COUNCIL SEAT

OH NO IT WOULD SPELL THE END OF A MAJOR ALLIANCE WITH THE US

OH NO IT WOULD MAKE BRITAIN JUST A SHITTY LITTLE ISLAND OFF THE WEST COAST OF FRANCE

Despite what you might personally think, most people would rather that Britain remained relatively prominent, instead of becoming insignificant.

So we would instantly cease to be a world leader in rights, healthcare, various kinds of culture, academics... just because we won't have costly nuclear weapons for a few years? The system isn't even designed to meet current threats anyway.

OH NO WHAT IF WE LOSE OUR SECURITY COUNCIL SEAT
OH NO THAT'S A FATE WORSE THAN DEATH

OH NO IT WOULD SPELL THE END OF A MAJOR ALLIANCE WITH THE US
this is a bad thing?

Despite what you might personally think, most people would rather that Britain remained relatively prominent, instead of becoming insignificant.
harlequin pointed this out already, but there are *other* measures of prominence and success other than "WE HAVE BIG WEAPONS THAT WE CAN USE TO help defend america BEAT UP THE BAD GUYS WITH"

Most of the common arguments for nuclear weapons are muddled. Usually they imply that we can disarm, but only when we know the world will always be safe. Obviously we can never know that! Disarm either today or not at all, but don't talk about "waiting for the right time" or "waiting for threats to pass". There will always be threats.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom