• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Username Changing

I couldn't resist- I had to test out the feature. I should have picked something more creative, though.

Changing your name immediately after signing up is a bit stupid, granted, but why not? I don't see what the problem is. In fact, if somebody's just joined the forums, then nobody knows who they are anyway, so username confusion is much less of an issue than usual.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "intended behaviour". It's not like anyone's encouraging anyone to change their username.

Being able to change your name immediately after signing up is useful; if you made a typo with your sign-up name, for instance, or thought you couldn't have spaces, or something like that, having to wait three months to change it would just be annoying.

Because it is insanely annoying to other members to have to keep up with you changing your name every couple of weeks. Though it seems the existence of the username hack has made everyone feel obligated to change it monthly, which isn't honestly that much better.

For the love of God, pick a name you actually believe you may permanently want to be associated with instead of basing it on some random spur-of-the-moment obsession that you'll probably get bored with before you're allowed to change your name again.

Because it is insanely annoying to other members to have to keep up with you changing your name every couple of weeks. Though it seems the existence of the username hack has made everyone feel obligated to change it monthly, which isn't honestly that much better.

For the love of God, pick a name you actually believe you may permanently want to be associated with instead of basing it on some random spur-of-the-moment obsession that you'll probably get bored with before you're allowed to change your name again.

Says the person that changed their name to Bachuru and back

I see the point in that, anyways.

I changed my name and changed it back, but I kept it for five months in between. I'm not saying don't ever change your name at all; I'm saying don't change your name constantly.

I second that. Having to dig up a post to see username history sucks, and even then it doesn't show dates, and I've actually found myself wanting to know when a change happened a few times.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, it's only admins that can get around the month-long wait, right? Can mods not get around it at all, or can they just not get around it when changing their own name?

would it be possible to reimplement that box on the profile with previous names and the dates of the change?
I third this. I can't even SEE username history on posts in the first place due to my browser and it's a real pain in the ass because I never know who the heck is who anymore. It'd be a great alternative to us Opera users.

I third this. I can't even SEE username history on posts in the first place due to my browser and it's a real pain in the ass because I never know who the heck is who anymore. It'd be a great alternative to us Opera users.
Fourth...ing?

I don't use Opera, but it seems like a good idea (though I can't say I saw it, but it sounds useful.)

I fifth this, as I am also an Opera user and I can't tell if someone is a new user or if they just changed their name if they don't say that they used to be their previous username in their title/signature.

Back
Top Bottom