• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Who/what inspired you to draw/sprite?

Kai Lucifer

A traveller on the winds of time
I don't really have any idea when I first started drawing, but I guess that my Mum was a major inspiration to me years back.

As for who inspired me to sprite, that was Team Rocket Rose. After looking at her gallery, I decided that I too wanted to sprite.

Well, i've always loved art and have a facination with colors and the way things are drawn. I think it's mostly my moms doing though. :D
For spriting i have no idea, i just kinda randomly decided that it looked fun, and it is. (My lab is inspired by my fanfiction though.)

Drawing: My Y5 teacher, who taught us art. =3

Spriting: This website, actually. I looked at sprite shops, and wanted to sprite just like the masters. I'm not there yet, but I am happy with how I sprite nowadays.

Spriting: Well, about a year or so ago, before the forum crash, way back before I had joined any forums, I liked to look at sprite galleries, I always liked the way it looked. I decided to sprite, and that's how I got into it, Butterfree's sprites are what inspired me the most though. <3~

Drawing: I just... Always have. :3

Pokémon, I suppose, grabbed my interest to draw, not without the assistence of my adoration of canids (and other animals) , a few very great artists, and my stubbornness to draw correctly. I think my turning point in improving was in sixth grade (ages ten, and eleven) when I met this girl who at that time was better than me today. She was able to draw very detailed pictures that were of the manga/anime style. I never saw her draw realism, but her pictures always had amazing amounts of shading, interesting perspective, and were completely amazing for someone who had only began drawing. It's taken me around five years to even for myself to consinder that I might have the capablity she had then. She was extremely helpful with pointers, and her artwork really inspired me to improve, and still does. Another artist, I met at a camp was extremely skilled with art, especially canines, and pretty much anything else I was capable of drawing at that time. She was very interesting to talk to, and made me realize what orginality was <3~ I might as well give her devianart , because it might give you an idea of how much a clueless artist wannabe gained from just being able to comprehend the basis anatomy and outlining.

My older brother, James, he was always drawing made up creatures, then we would go outside and play an imagination/RPG like thing with them, so much fun <3.
Yeah~
I love drawing :3 Especially dragons and mythical creatures. And animals. And Pokemon~ ^-^

I wanted to draw my character, "firewolf". I've long since abandoned that idea, but he's still a tiny bit cool, I think.

I guess... my mother, because she's been giving me paper and crayons since I could sit in a highchair.

I guess Butterfree. I saw her sprite gallery a while ago and thought 'Damn, I want to do that DDDD:'

And drawing is drawing, so.

For spriting, that would be the Pokémon Fusionists Network on the Newgrounds forum. I saw it, and was like "Woah, I wanna do that!" So I took a Geodude and a Ho-oh, and fused them. They said I was pretty good for a new guy, and I kept going there. That is, until the mods locked it because it wasn't "real art."

Well i've always been into drawing because I was good at it when I was little and Mewtwos sprite shop got me into spriting, and into these forums, thanks Mewtwo!

Mewkitty, I guess. I used to draw a lot as a kid, but when I had to draw in school I never got to draw things I wanted to draw, so I hated it and my teachers all complained at me. But when I saw her Pokemon drawings, took up drawing Pokemon myself, and... yeah :3

Spriting: Butterfree. I was her gallery and was like 'Awesome, I want to make sprites as well as that!'

Drawing: I dunno, I've always just liked drawing anyway...but Dannichu has her cute drawings which probably involved~

Last edited:
Spriting: Went though some person's gallery(can't remember who) and went "whoa, I want to make those things too..."

Drawing: I've always loved to draw, so I'm not sure.

Nothing really inspired me to draw. I've been doing it practically since I was born (even though, before I was old enough to know better, I drew all over the walls with a brown marker). I just... kind of had the instinct to want to draw Pokémon.

As for spriting... I like doing it occasionally, but it's not my thing as much as real drawing on a piece of paper is.

I've been drawing ever since forever, but I guess the Sonic games made me draw a lot more :v
as for spriting (which I do once every [long period of time] now), I spose TyraNIDtar I think his name was, from back in the old forums inspired me...
and by old forums I mean conforums
the best ones

Drawing... I've always liked drawing. :/ Mostly animals and stuff, but I was always really frustrated with how I could never get things to look like the image in my head. For quite a few years, I drew practically nothing but horses and got fairly good at those for my age, I guess. Then at some point I started drawing Pokémon; I think it was around the time I discovered Mew's Hangout, although it was later that Mewkitty put up a bunch of drawings that made me go "OMG AWESOME"; I can't remember if she had a lot of her artwork up before that.

Spriting, well, it was 2003, when spriting was pretty much unheard of in the Pokémon fandom. First, Meowth346 had this planned "Sprite Recolor Project", which explained the basic principles of revamping and asked others to participate. My immediate thought was "Whoa! I can take my favorite sprite, the Yellow version Charizard, and recolor it to have cool colors like the R/S Charizard!" and thus I went and ignored all the advice Meowth had on how to make them good and made a few crappy paintbuckety revamps that I thought were really awesome. After a month or so Meowth shut down the project because all he'd gotten were crappy paintbuckety revamps like mine, and he wrote a little rant about that; I don't remember precisely how he explained it, but at least it opened my eyes to the horrors of Dots and other principles of spriting.

Later, a guy named pimuni made a revolutionary thread at the PokéMasters forums called "Own Pokémon Colors" or something in that direction, where he basically took requests for what we now know as recolors. While today nobody would be impressed, this may have been close to the first sprite request thread in the history of the fandom, and everybody thought they were absolutely amazing, including me. Some other people were helping him out by making some of his requests - they're just recolors, after all, so it didn't much matter who did them - and one day I barged in and made about ten requests for black and red legendaries using the Web palette in Adobe ImageReady, followed by hijacking a bunch of other requests in that thread. Then a guy named ArmadonRK opened a request thread for splices, which were also pretty revolutionary at the time, followed by one Russian666, and a short while after that, I opened my own sprite request thread at TPM, offering recolors, "old sprite recolors", splices and small edits. The great majority of all the sprites I have ever made were made for that thread.

Back
Top Bottom