• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Why do people think that everyone wants to be "cool"

Cyndaquil

Flare up your ideas, be careful not to burn them~
As the title sugests, I'm just wondering why people assume that everyone wants to be "cool". I'm not trying to start an argument. I really don't care what people think about me although many people do care what people think about them. Now please only post here to try to answer my question, not to just correct what I say. When I say something I mean what I say even if it has no logical meaning.

What do you mean by cool? People could consider one another cool, as in 'Oh, he's cool, he'll give you a cookie if you ask.' or, as I think you're talking about, the 'cool' or popular kids.

I don't know if people assume that um..most people want to be 'cool kids', but there is a need to fit in and a disdain among a lot of 'unpopular' people for those who are popular and, and especially those who are popular and rub it in peoples' faces. There are also people who try to act like the popular kids without seeing why the popular kids are actualyl popular. A lot of the time the popular people are popular simply because they get along with a lot of people, but others assume that maybe it's the clothes and whatnot because they've never actually bothered to talk with them.

I dunno.

I'm saying like when someone says "you should do this because its cool" or "don't do that its not cool" I don't get it. Its like they think that that can persuade everybody.

I'm saying like when someone says "you should do this because its cool" or "don't do that its not cool" I don't get it. Its like they think that that can persuade everybody.

They do this because they think it's "cool." They use the word "cool" because they think that it's more likely to make the people follow their advice. Sometimes (not all the time, just occasionally), it's not "cool", and occasionally, it's not just uncool, it's wrong.

I don't know the answer to the question in the title, but I answered what you said up there.

If anyone tries to pressure you like this, just go your own way, and don't do anything you don't want to. Nobody's forcing you. The best thing you can do is just to pay attention to what's right.
Not like it'll happen every day. I'm just mentioning, in case it does happen, and in case you're asking this because people in your school/community act like this a lot.

Even though I do agree with Furretsu too. "Cool" is hardly ever used, at least where I live.

Why wouldn't you want to be considered cool? :|

It's human nature to care about what others think of you

I very rarely see "cool" used as a social classification anymore.

I do. It's used a lot here. The 'cool girls' are the ones who have completely straightened hair, lots of make-up, nice legs and lots of friends. The 'cool guys' are the ones who play football a lot and are attractive.

So yeah, maybe it's just used less in the USA.

"cool" no longer means "part of our clique of non-nerds"

now (or when you pass the age of 15) it just means "on the good side of acceptable"

Popular! You're gonna be popular!
I'll show you what shoes to wear, how to fix your hair;
Everything that really counts!

...I couldn't resist.

I'm taking "cool" to mean "fitting in with the mainstream", and if loads of people you know strive for that and persuade you to, too, I feel bad for you.

I guess people do it because it makes life easier for them; they won't get teased or singled out for being different. For lots of people it's self-preservation, and you can't really judge them for it.

1. Neither warm nor very cold; moderately cold: fresh, cool water; a cool autumn evening.
2. Giving or suggesting relief from heat: a cool breeze; a cool blouse.
3. Marked by calm self-control: a cool negotiator.
4. Marked by indifference, disdain, or dislike; unfriendly or unresponsive: a cool greeting; was cool to the idea of higher taxes.
5. Of, relating to, or characteristic of colors, such as blue and green, that produce the impression of coolness.
6. Slang
a. Excellent; first-rate: has a cool sports car; had a cool time at the party.
b. Acceptable; satisfactory: It's cool if you don't want to talk about it.
7. Slang Entire; full: worth a cool million.

Because when you're "cool" a lot of people like you.

Yet usually you don't have best friends or anything like that. Plus pressure on you to do everything cool is there.

I like being "un-cool" with best friends ^^

Back
Top Bottom