• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

If you had been born the opposite sex, what would you have been named?

Re: If you had been born the opposite gender, what would you have been named?

The actual change cost $137 Canadian, but all the updating of documents past that has been free. And yeah, I've gotten an updated health card, social insurance number card, and birth certificate; I still need to apply for a new passport, though.

Huh, that was all free? Hrm. I need to get mine changed. :[ I hope that stuff's free here, or at least is less expensive than $137 Canadian. *poor*

It's €20 in Slovenia, for the record.

K I'm moving to Slovenia to get my name changed. It's settled.

What are you changing your name to? *pointless curiosity; feel free to ignore me*

My mom said Justine, my dad insisted on Dagmar if I turned out a girl.

Dagmar sounds like such a boss name.

Why is my life so boring.

My parents failed 8th year English/Lit or something.

Their names are all mispelled.

Theirs/normal/OTHER normal

Aimee/Amy. Chelsy/Chelsea. Stefan/Stephen/Steven

What? DAGMAR is evolving!

magmortar

Congratulations! Your DAGMAR evolved into DAGMORTAR!

The actual change cost $137 Canadian, but all the updating of documents past that has been free. And yeah, I've gotten an updated health card, social insurance number card, and birth certificate; I still need to apply for a new passport, though.
how long did it take them to sort out everything? I plan on doing all this in the next few months (after I've next used my passport as updating that costs a fucking fortune)

and this might seem like a daft question but does your family know? not sure how I'm gonna go about telling mine when I do/if I will tell them at all

What. :( You don't even know what it sounds like, only how it's written! (It does not sound like what an English speaker would imagine from looking at it.)

If it helps, I pronounced it "Gurren Lagann" in my head.

...I seriously have to stop mentally pronouncing Icelandic words as random words I'm already familiar with. ><

"Nikki". Which is why my current name is a lot better.

But I think "Marit" was also an option.

how long did it take them to sort out everything? I plan on doing all this in the next few months (after I've next used my passport as updating that costs a fucking fortune)

and this might seem like a daft question but does your family know? not sure how I'm gonna go about telling mine when I do/if I will tell them at all

If it helps with the family, you don't have to mention why you're changing your name, just say you hate your assigned name, which I happened to, and had complained about for my entire life. :\ Ask them to try and call you your chosen name instead and see how they go with that. For me, they've been cool and when they call me by my old name, I just remind them. I don't know how cool your parents are, though.

Goon-luh-gar?

Gun [as in English] + Low [as in English] + Gurr?

Guhn-loy-gur.

I'm guessing, from what little I know of Icelandic.

Starlit Ocean is closest, but it doesn't quite sound like anything properly approximated by English syllables (in particular, the G; I remember it completely perplexed Fluffy even when I was pronouncing it slowly in front of him). In the International Phonetic Alphabet (not well-versed in it, so I might be ever so slightly off) it would be [kʏnːløɪɣʏr].

Should I be worried that my parents were going to name me after a subway station?

...come to think of it, that is so much cooler than my regular name and I should totally change my name. How much does it cost to change your name in the States?

I had to get a friend of the family to sign the form testifying that I am indeed who I say I am, and then I had to get my lawyer cousin to sign it in a few places; that took a few weeks to organize. Then I had to wait six weeks for it to be processed. I don't remember how long it took past that to update all my stuff; another six weeks or so I think?

And they do know, but they don't know that part of the reason I changed is that I wanted a non-gendered name. As far as they're concerned, I just didn't like the way my old name sounded and didn't like being named after an alcoholic grandfather who died before I was born.

On that note, though, I've had more strangers compliment my new name than ask why I have a girl's name. \o/ (I don't know how common Lynn is as a male name over there, but there are something like a quarter as many male Lynns as female Lynns in Canada.)

Last edited:
Apparently Summer or Crystal o.0 I dunno. I suppose I wouldn't complain too much about either name, though they seem kind of...tame D:

iirc my mom named me what she did based on what she thought I looked like right when I was born, so I don't think there's any way of knowing. :T

Back
Top Bottom