• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Bin Laden- Dead

I'm sorry, I admit I don't know much about the situation, but this just seems incredibly naive to me. Do you really think an entire organisation is going to fall apart just because their leader was killed? Do you think there's no one else who could take his place? Bin Laden was a symbol more than anything else, from where I'm sitting.

Team Rocket did

Although I do see your point, the fact that Bin (lets just call him bin) is dead is (as many people including you already stated it) symbolic more than anything else. Although I agree that the organisation will not fall apart just because of his death, it is a pretty damn huge kick in the face to Al-Qaida, and I doubt they will put as much pressure on the USA as they did before, at least not for a good amount of time.

Uh, everybody else already stated what I was about to say so...
Honestly I find it difficult celebrating the death of a fellow human being, even if the guy had it coming. Sure, I'm relieved that the world is safer but I'm afraid it'll make a cycle of violence like any other time in history.

I, for one, am happy for the facts that he deserved to die and that nobody else will be murdered because of him. Everyone's happy not because of anything related to the war(s), but because of the fact he's a symbol, as we've already pointed out again and again. You have to understand what exactly he was a symbol of; 3000 of our innocent loved ones dying on what was never supposed to be anything but a normal day, our families and friends being sent overseas to combat terror, countless other incedents where he caused human deaths, and ten years of not knowing where he was or what he might do next. No longer will people fear being killed because of this man. Of course, others in his organization may still kill people, even for the very reason he was killed. But that will not change the fact that the (arguably) most outspoken man in the organization and the leader who planned most of the past attacks has been killed, and it will probably not stop the feelings of relief and (in some, not all) happiness. While the happiness may indeed be irrational, and possibly short-lived, it stems from something that I think should cause happiness - the prevention of further murders caused by this man and revenge for the murders he's caused.

In short, I'm happy even though I should be worried about retaliation and I'm fairly sure I contradicted myself once, but I have since slightly corrected that.

Now in regards to the possibilities of retaliation and more war, the majority of the world hated bin Laden, and would gladly back us up in any conflicts resulting from this. Not to mention we're one of the most powerful countries in the world, militarily, and we have some very powerful immediate allies anyway. A country or group who fights us over this will not have any hope of defeating us unless it's already very powerful with some very strong allies. However, I am a little scared/worried them trying other attacks like missiles or more plane hijackings. People could very well die because of this, but in the end I think it's better we've killed him and are working on destroying his terrorist organization.

Last edited:
I'm happy he died; he was a horrible person. (And the reason I hate that my birthday is on 9/11.)

YOU GUYS

AL QAEDA WILL LIVE ON

IT WILL NOT DIE BECAUSE ITS HEAD DIED.

It's obvious, ugh. Besides, Bin Laden hadn't done anything related to Al Qaeda for awhile I'd think; he's been hiding, remember?

Ugghhh,

I'm happy he died; he was a horrible person. (And the reason I hate that my birthday is on 9/11.)

But I'd rather he'd be CAPTURED! It's a loss of life, nonetheless you GUYS!

does anyone understandddd

^ This.

I can't tell you how many people are all like "Hooray the war on terror is over can we go home now?"

THIS IS NOT HOW ORGANIZATIONS WORK

Really, anybody who isn't from the USA and Indigo (and myself, sort of) aren't celebrating his death.

It won't actually /do/ anything besides raising spirits here; it's not like he's done anything major for a while now.

Oh, and Facebook is really annoying. (woohoo! bin laden is dead! USA USA USA!)

A lot of Americans know that Al Qaeda's not over. As I said twice, they're celebrating the end of the man who's portrayed terrorism for the past 10 years to them.

And no, I don't quite understand, because it wasn't just a human who died. It was a horrible, inhuman monster and a murderer of thousands.

And no, I don't quite understand, because it wasn't just a human who died. It was a horrible, inhuman monster and a murderer of thousands.
Okay. I understand what you're saying.

But he was a living person, like it or not.

There's nothing on this Earth that deserves to die.

Though dangit, the deed's already been done...

I think that it would have been better to capture him* but honestly I'm not broken up that he died/was killed. The word 'celebrate' rubs me the wrong way, but I am completely okay with the fact that this guy is dead. I'm of the opinion that the death penalty is overstepping moral boundaries, but that some people really deserve to die. It's just not up to us to decide where the line is, or who should or should not die.

*why am I imagining throwing a poké ball at bin ladin right now

Although to be completely honest, I thought he was already dead! Mixed him up with Hussein, I think.

There's nothing on this Earth that deserves to die.

:/ Living forever is much, much, MUCH worse than dieing. I won't elaborate, but trust me on that one.

Personally I guess I'll say that I'm happy that bin Laden died, but it is slightly worrisome at the same time. The possibility that the Al Qaeda or some other terrorist organization will launch a counter attack is all too possible. I really would not like another 9/11

But, it should dishearten them the slightest bit, knowing that the Americans took down their leader. Or they could strike while over 50% of the population of America (and 100% of 4Chan or so I've heard) are busy parading through the streets and not paying attention to anything else.

Conversation I've found around my home:

Poster 1: Blah blah Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead blah.

Poster 2: Blah blah He Who Fights Monsters blah blah.

Poster 1: Blah blah Complete Monster blah blah Moral Event Horizon blah blah Asshole Victim blah blah Averted Trope of Why Didnt Ya Just Shoot Him blah, Kick The Son of a Bitch blah blah.

Poster 2: Blah blah Your Mileage May Vary blah blah Americans are Blood Knights blah blah, blah blah Eagleland Type#2 blah blah blah blah Designated Villain blah blah Poke the Poodle in the overall war blah blah blah blah blah U.S. Start of Darkness blah blah blah America Takes Over the World blah blah.

Poster 1: BLAH BLAH America Saves The Day BLAH! BLAH BLAH BLAH Eagleland Type#1 BLAH BLAH Well-Intentioned Extremist BLAH BLAH BLAH America Wins The War BLAH BLAH Patriotic Fever!

Poster 2: B-laaaaaah. Americans Are Cowboys blah. Blah Dethroning Moment of Suck blah What the Hell, Hero?? blah blah Cultural Cringe blah. :/

However, I think this "But the war isn't over yet!" is defeating the point killing of him, which, is to reduce terror. To get people hoping. This was a purely symbolic gesture in a conflict about emotions (War on "Terror"). So let the people be happy.

I like this quote my aunt posted on facebook by Martin Luther King Jr.

I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.

also I had to listen to how he was dead at work all day today because the news was playing and it was kind of depressing. okay, I get it! he's dead! mission accomplished! but al Qaeda is still out there able to do stuff :/

I know how dangerous this guy was, but honestly, I see no reason to celebrate. Like it's been said thousands of times, it just doesn't sit well with me how we're celebrating someone being murdered. It's almost as we're stooping down to his level. But also, I'm paranoid that things can only get worse. Al-Queda is probably PISSED, and Americans celebrating his death are doing nothing more than fueling their hateful flames. I'm honestly scared out of my mind that we'll be attacked tons of times, maybe even with nukes! I'm sure that they probably don't have acsess to that kind of firepower, but I'm gonna be scared about a retaliation for quite a while now.

I find it somewhat difficult to applaud the death of a human being, but that's interesting.

This, so much.

I get that he was a horrible person, and he is the reason that a bunch of people are dead. But he had a wife and kids! (actually I'm not sure if it was one kid or more but still) Whom, I may mention, they killed him in front of. Imagine if the Navy SEALS ambushed your family home, and killed your father right in front of you and then took him away, so they could (with the proper religious rituals of course, which I was happy to hear about) dump his body in the ocean? How would you feel? I bet you wouldn't be happy about it.

Remember, he started as a soldier in a war between some middle eastern country (honestly I forget which one right now) and Russia. He was a scholar, if I remember correctly. Even if he wasn't, he was an incredibly intelligent man.

Not trying to sound like I side with him, but still. It's hardly something to be partying in the streets about.

YOU GUYS

AL QAEDA WILL LIVE ON

IT WILL NOT DIE BECAUSE ITS HEAD DIED.

This, too. Like, he was still Al Qaeda's leader, but his popularity had been waning in the past five to six years anyway. It's not like they all worshiped the ground he walked on. Sure, they'll take this hit, and possibly turn it down for a while, but I'm certain they'll be back.

My brief opinion is that however slightly, the world is ultimately a better place without him, considering how much hate and hurt the Al Quieda has caused the rest of the world, and for that reason I can understand all these jokes and everything surrounding his death. We're perfectly allowed to do that, but crowds celebrating in the streets?

What the fuck is wrong with people.

Back
Top Bottom