• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Black & White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? Man, I was pretty sure the sales of Pokémon games were going up. I don't know, but that might mean that... people... are still buying the games?! As in, they enjoy playing them and aren't 'tired' by the formula?! Platinum's sales kicked the shit out of D/P's, too, so it's not like people are buying the game then deciding 'durp this is shit'.

Somebody's no fuuuun. :(

This. The Pokemon franchise has been suffering a long death since their innovation pool dried up after the second generation. Old fans get tired of repurchasing a product that has little change in core gameplay over time, and newer fans aren't finding the thrill in an outdated console RPG formula. I was hoping for a bigger change with this generation.

And the new graphics aren't anything to circlejerk over. Anyone with an emulator and the right tools can rotate and tilt the camera in D/P.

Seriously? When I look at Pokemon, I see innovation. We have natures, a much better EV and IV system, the Physical/Special split, not to mention many of the new Pokemon that actually are original for once and not just a recolored animal.

And Pokemon is getting stale? Oh no, Pokemon uses a outdated turnbase battle system, how can it possibly be fun? >_> You don't need gimmicky action commands or real time battles to keep a player's attention, you know.

And about the graphics....we aren't even "circlejerking" about the camera. If you bothered to watch the battle videos, you can see that the sprites have fluid animations. You know, individually made sprites for what will end up being near 600 Pokemon. FRONT AND BACK SPRITES. NO ONE is expected to do that much work. It would have been much easier to make crappy 3D models(which would suck, given the small screen of the DS) and put generic animations on them.

Honestly, I don't have much of an issue with people prefering the older games, or even finding the games boring after a while, but you put out an opinion that is so obviously wrong as this and you try to pass it off as fact? I know many people who were into Pokemon when it first came out that still play the games and are excited for these new ones, and Pokemon must obviously be doing something right because it draws in new fans all of the time.

The thing about pokemon is that the actual battle system is really quite boring and primitive, but the characters and the world draw you in and you keep playing. If you don't like pokemon anymore, it's probably because you grew up and the world no longer enthralls you like it used to, which is perfectly understandable.

How did I just find out about this? I've been away from TCoD for too long. ;~;

Anyway, Mijumaru is officially going to be my starter. I love otters for some reason. xD

We don't know much about the actual battle system, though. We couldn't tell that there would be a physical/special split from screenshots of DP; how do we know there isn't a big change there?

I admit I agree with J.T and what he said about the starters to a certain degree. I don't like these starters too much, but I'm still convinced that Generation I is the worst.

THERE I SAID IT

I admit I agree with J.T and what he said about the starters to a certain degree. I don't like these starters too much, but I'm still convinced that Generation I is the worst.

Agreed. The starters aren't bad (Smugleaf and Pokabu are pretty good, although Derpderp is crap), but they could be better.

The thing is, Nintendo is not known for venturing outside of the box. The starters are proof; we've been using the same rules for them for the last ten years. Grass-type dinosaur/lizard? Check. Fire-type Zodiac animal? Check. Water-type land animal that can swim? Check.

Agreed. The starters aren't bad (Smugleaf and Pokabu are pretty good, although Derpderp is crap), but they could be better.

The thing is, Nintendo is not known for venturing outside of the box. The starters are proof; we've been using the same rules for them for the last ten years. Grass-type dinosaur/lizard? Check. Fire-type Zodiac animal? Check. Water-type land animal that can swim? Check.
lolwut? Those categories are so broad, especially the Grass one. Dinosaur/Lizard? Two completely different things, you can't compile them into a single category. And I doubt that the fire starters are based of the Zodiac (lol, I don't even know what Cyndaquil is).

I'm pretty sure Cyndaquil is an echidna, which is definitely not part of the chinese zodiac.

I actually like the new starters. I think that at least Pokabu is very creative, and Tsutajara's design is nice. My opinion of the games is more about the regions, like Zeta Reticuli said farther up. Hoenn was actually my favorite, while I really disliked Sinnoh.

I have to say, though, I'm just glad none of the starters was a monkey.

Oh come on. Cyndaquil is clearly not a mouse, look at it. Bidoof is classified as "plump mouse", but I would hardly consider a beaver to be part of the Chinese zodiac.

I'm so glad they didn't make it all ugly like that Water one.

Okay, I won't lie.

I hate the water-type starter.

The vine snake thing looks cool, and the pig is also adorable. The water-starter, on the other hand, is an uninteresting... thing. It doesn't even look like a fucking otter! I was hoping it might be a platypus or a beaver or even a water bear, but no. It had be an... otter! They pulled it off well with Buizel. Why couldn't they get it right this time?

The water thing is really depressing to look at, it's all :0< with its giant nose and frown-y face. Also, it is really short and fat, unlike any otter I've ever seen.

smallx.png

I like Mijumaru :< probably my favourite, really. They're all pretty good, but Tsutarja looks... too smug in a way, and I think Pokabu's a bit... bland. They're both cool, but I like Mijumaru for its cuteness and the fact you just want to go and give it a big hug 'n' stuff.

...Also I can see it having epic evolutions.

Last edited:
Mijumaru's really grown on me now that I've seen fanart and stuff. The official art was just sort of bleh, I guess. Probably still starting with Tsutaaja, but Mijumaru is now my second choice!

...I actually don't like Pokabu as much now. Maybe it's because I don't see where the "fire" part comes in - it's just an orange pig. :\

Yeah, I'm definitely liking Mijumaru a lot more now. Socute ;w;

As a matter of fact, this'd probably be the only Gen where I'd pick Water or Grass over Fire.

Well, I will direct you to...

Also, the Water starter, for some reason, reminds me of Ron Weasley. XD Maybe it's the freckles or something, I have no idea. I'm actually sort of starting to get a bit more fond of it the more I look at it. If I get one, I am so naming it that.

And I still believe that. I've actually grown to like the little guy now. He's cute~

(Also, for more dorky Harry Potter references: Grassguy = Voldemort and Exploding Bacon = Hogwarts.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom