• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Challenge Board

Now that I have a slot open, I can finally post this challenge. One space is reserved for Dragon, but the other two are open.

Format: 1 vs 1 vs 1 vs 1 single (four person battle royale)
Style: Set
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct healing
Arena Description: Snurch

Snurch (snake church) is a hallowed ground for all things serpentine. Standing at the precipice of a sacred mountain, few humans have had the rare experience of stepping foot in this snemple (snake temple). Rumored to have been built thousands of years ago by a race of snake people, or sneople, Snurch is now a paradise for all kinds of snake Pokémon (or snokémon). Inside the snathedral (snake cathedral), enormous marble pillars reach up towards the vaulted ceiling. Patterns of ivy twist their way around these supports, like an Ekans wrapped around its prey. Colorful stained-glass windows depicting Rayquaza illuminate the halls, shining light on the dust in the air. Patches of wild grass and weeds grow between the cracks in the tiled floors, and some of the tiles have become dislodged.

Only serpentine Pokémon may be used here. This includes all snake Pokémon as well as Pokémon with a serpentine body structure, such as Milotic or Dragonair.

As an additional rule, Poison-type attacks may be used for 1% less energy and will hit Steel-type Pokémon for regular damage.

I have got to ref this.

Now that I have a slot open, I can finally post this challenge. One space is reserved for Dragon, but the other two are open.

Snurch (snake church) is a hallowed ground for all things serpentine. Standing at the precipice of a sacred mountain, few humans have had the rare experience of stepping foot in this snemple (snake temple). Rumored to have been built thousands of years ago by a race of snake people, or sneople, Snurch is now a paradise for all kinds of snake Pokémon (or snokémon). Inside the snathedral (snake cathedral), enormous marble pillars reach up towards the vaulted ceiling. Patterns of ivy twist their way around these supports, like an Ekans wrapped around its prey. Colorful stained-glass windows depicting Rayquaza illuminate the halls, shining light on the dust in the air. Patches of wild grass and weeds grow between the cracks in the tiled floors, and some of the tiles have become dislodged.

Only serpentine Pokémon may be used here. This includes all snake Pokémon as well as Pokémon with a serpentine body structure, such as Milotic or Dragonair.

As an additional rule, Poison-type attacks may be used for 1% less energy and will hit Steel-type Pokémon for regular damage.
Ooh! Mind if I join in with my Steelix?

I want in this :p Is there water for my gyarados?

As long as it can still move around via the random flying/levitating it gets in anime and games we're good

All right, let's do this! Technically Dragon hasn't accepted the challenge, but we all know she will accept the challenge, so I'm just gonna go ahead.

Right, new to this whole ASB thing, so I'll post a basic challenge. open to anyone.

Format:2 vs 2
Style:Single
DQ:One week.
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO, Direct healing.
Arena Description: Odd Cove

A fairly basic arena. Takes place on an ordinary beach littered with rocks for moves like rock throw, though not to the extent that they should get in the way. The battle takes place close enough to the ocean to use it for attacks, but far enough so that it won't come into play unless someone invokes it on purpose. On the other side are large cliffs, shielding the combatants from the wind.

Additional Rules: Only stage 1 of 3 and stage 1 of 2 Pokemon are usable.

Right, new to this whole ASB thing, so I'll post a basic challenge. open to anyone.

A fairly basic arena. Takes place on an ordinary beach littered with rocks for moves like rock throw, though not to the extent that they should get in the way. The battle takes place close enough to the ocean to use it for attacks, but far enough so that it won't come into play unless someone invokes it on purpose. On the other side are large cliffs, shielding the combatants from the wind.

I'll ref this for you once you get an opponent.

I have one more open slot, so I'll take this :)

Format: 4v4 singles
DQ: 1 week
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct healers, weather moves, Taunt
Arena Description: Bad Moon Rising

A spooky courtyard in a spooky castle, long abandoned in the spooky night. In the center, a large fountain sputters with water, providing a handy source for water-type moves. Most prominently, the moon above is doing weird things, the effects of which are as follows (and these disappear whenever the stage fades).

- Crescent moon: While spooky, this stage causes no odd effects.

- Full moon: Shining white, the weird energy of this moon will tap into a Pokemon's full potential. As if they were werebeasts, every Pokemon will be temporarily fully evolved, and as such have access to its evolution's movepools and all of its evolution's abilities (Hidden and otherwise) at the same time. If a Pokemon has a branched evolutionary path, the evolution will be chosen at random.

- Blood moon: Provoked by the savage crimson shade, every Pokemon on the field will be granted +1 attack and +1 special attack. However, each battler has a 5% chance each action of being enraged enough to ignore their command for that action, instead using a random damaging move from its movepool that will cause an additional 2% damage after all other calculations are applied.

- Blue moon: With this uncommon lunar shade comes an appearance of uncommon luck. All Pokemon will have an additional 10% chance of inflicting a critical hit, similar to if it had used Focus Energy.

- Lunar eclipse: The eerie alignment of Earth and moon will summon a strange thing from beyond the stars that communicates in pain. To avoid attracting its attention, the battlers must use non-damaging moves for as long as the eclipse is in play.

- New moon: The arena is thrown into pitch blackness, afflicting every sight-reliant Pokemon with -2 accuracy. Pokemon are much more likely to be startled when confronted, so that every damaging move with no other effect has a 10% chance to cause flinching.

The battle begins with a crescent moon, and at the end of every round the moon will change to one of the above conditions at random. Also, Cresselia and Darkrai are duking it out above the courtyard, and at the end of every round (but before the moon changes) there is a 50% chance that one of them will have a move misfire, striking one of the battlers. (They aren't affected by the lunar eclipse stage.) Bad Dreams is not considered to be in effect for this battle.

I'll take you up on this challenge, if that's okay!

this was a fun format, so i'm issuing another of this challenge!

Format: 3 v 3 single
Style: set
DQ: two weeks
Damage Cap: none
Banned/Restricted Moves: Direct healing, chills, ohko, attract, Super Fang. Evasion and picking Pokémon with STAB type advantage is considered poor form, though not banned.
Arena Description: Outside the Battle Arena

The match was originally scheduled to take place inside the Battle Arena as an ordinary challenge within the Hoenn Frontier, but that quickly changed when officials learned that both trainers were from Asber. Not to be discouraged, however, they took the fight outside, despite objections from both the officials in question and other non-Asber trainers at the frontier that day.

The rules are modeled vaguely after those of the Battle Arena: the match will be played as a best-of-three set of 1v1 bouts that only last 3 rounds each. At the end of those 3 rounds, if there is no knockout, the referee will declare a winner by awarding points based on HP, PP, and status. For every percent below 100 in both HP and energy, a Pokémon will be given 1 point. For every degree of status ailment, a Pokémon will be given 3 points. Stat boosts are worth the negative of their value. The Pokémon with the lower score at the end of the 3 rounds will be the winner of that bout, and a new pair of Pokémon will be sent out.

The Battle Arena is a small wooden building, located on a rough peninsula connecting to the Frontier streets. Intentionally entering the building or street will result in disqualification for the bout.

Accepting :D

I need things to do, so I'll ref this. Thread up in a few minutes.

:'( experimental battle DQ'd. I'll probably reuse the challenge someday, but for now I've got another idea that's been eating at me:

Format: 3v3 singles-ish. See arena description.
Banned/Restricted Moves: Super Fang, direct healing, Attract, Teleport. Moves will never inflict confusion.
Arena Description: The Echoing Isles

Three islands, all alike in dignity, in the Fairest Sea we lay our scene. The islands are all identical circles of rocky beaches and dune grass, about 20 meters in diameter, and too far apart for Pokémon to travel quickly between them. The sea is almost eerily calm and open, yet it echoes, allowing battlers on different isles to hear each other clearly.

This leads to some interesting possibilities, to say the least. All 3 of both trainers' Pokémon will be on the field at once, each battling simultaneously on separate islands. Each island is self-contained as far as damage is concerned, but they share weather conditions, and moves that would ordinarily bypass Substitute can be targeted on Pokémon on other islands.

If a Pokémon knocks out its opponent, it will be recalled and sent back out if one of its teammates is knocked out. If both of its teammates are knocked out on the same round, its trainer picks which opponent to fight first.

Trainers will PM their Pokémon to the ref, who will be match them against each other in the order listed.

Hey! I was looking forward to seeing you, DRAGON! My rival should be strong to keep me sharp!

While working on my POKéDEX, I looked all over for powerful POKéMON! Not only that, I assembled teams that would beat any POKéMON type!

And now! I have beaten you twice! DRAGON! Do you know what that means? I'll tell you! I am the most powerful trainer in the world!

Format: 2v2 double (oh god why more doubles)
Style: tiny/huge
DQ: whatever
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct heals. Trick Room has no effect on command order.
Arena Description: Tiny-Huge Island

Read the wiki entry, because idk how to describe nature man. When I (Eifie) am commanding first, the island will be in its tiny state for that round. When Dragon is commanding first, the island will be in its huge state for that round. This is purely for Flavour and Shenanigans and the ref is free to have fun with the arena!

Additional Rules: I will be using my tiny fairies Janna and Shanna. Dragon will be using her huge beasts Ron deLite and frickin' dragon, both of whom will be transformed to their fully-evolved stages for the duration of the battle.

Hey! I was looking forward to seeing you, DRAGON! My rival should be strong to keep me sharp!

While working on my POKéDEX, I looked all over for powerful POKéMON! Not only that, I assembled teams that would beat any POKéMON type!

And now! I have beaten you twice! DRAGON! Do you know what that means? I'll tell you! I am the most powerful trainer in the world!

Format: 2v2 double (oh god why more doubles)
Style: tiny/huge
DQ: whatever
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct heals. Trick Room has no effect on command order.
Arena Description: Tiny-Huge Island

Read the wiki entry, because idk how to describe nature man. When I (Eifie) am commanding first, the island will be in its tiny state for that round. When Dragon is commanding first, the island will be in its huge state for that round. This is purely for Flavour and Shenanigans and the ref is free to have fun with the arena!

Additional Rules: I will be using my tiny fairies Janna and Shanna. Dragon will be using her huge beasts Ron deLite and frickin' dragon, both of whom will be transformed to their fully-evolved stages for the duration of the battle.

I'll ref it! The first rule of doubles is always expect me to want in on doubles.

Format: 2v2 singles
DQ: 6 days
Damage Cap: 60%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Evasion
Arena Description: Ultimate Football Stadium

No, America, it's "football", not "soccer". :P

Anyway, how it works is like this: at the start of the battle, the stadium will morph into one of the eleven stadiums on the list at random. Every start of round, it will become another stadium, again chosen at random. Should the battle go beyond eleven rounds, the slate will be wiped clean, and it starts over, again in a random order. At the end of each round, the referee will state which stadium is coming next.

List of possible stadiums and their effects:

Parc des Princes: Each Pokemon receives a King's Rock at the start of the round if they aren't already holding an item. The King's Rock disappears at the end of the round.
Estadio Santiago Bernabeu: If a Pokemon is knocked out while this stadium is active, the trainer will receive twice the usual amount of money for knocking out a Pokemon.
Estádio do Maracanã: The Pokemon with the lower base Speed gets a +2 boost in Attack and Special Attack at the start of the round. This effect disappears at the end of the round.
Old Trafford: All red Pokemon get a +2 Attack boost. This effect disappears at the end of the round.
Juventus Stadium: All black or white Pokemon get a +2 Defense boost. This effect disappears at the end of the round.
Allianz Arena: All Pokemon gain access to the following moves: Flash, Tail Glow, Light Screen, Camouflage, Signal Beam. All Pokemon's movepools will return to normal at the end of the round.
Signal Iduna Park: All Pokemon which are neither yellow nor black have Intimidate inflicted upon them at the beginning of the round. This effect disappears at the end of the round.
Estadio Azteca: Pokemon with hands get a +1 Attack and +1 Special Attack boost. This effect disappears at the end of the round.
Estadio del Camp Nou: All red or blue Pokemon get a +1 Attack boost and access to Baton Pass. This effect disappears at the end of the round.
Luzhniki Stadium: As long as this stadium is active, all Ice-type Pokemon get a 10% power boost in their attacks, while all Grass-type Pokemon get a 10% power reduction.
Estádio da Luz: As long as this stadium is active, all Electric-type Pokemon get a 10% power boost in their attacks.

Last edited:
:'( experimental battle DQ'd. I'll probably reuse the challenge someday, but for now I've got another idea that's been eating at me:

Format: 3v3 singles-ish. See arena description.
Banned/Restricted Moves: Super Fang, direct healing, Attract, Teleport. Moves will never inflict confusion.
Arena Description: The Echoing Isles

Three islands, all alike in dignity, in the Fairest Sea we lay our scene. The islands are all identical circles of rocky beaches and dune grass, about 20 meters in diameter, and too far apart for Pokémon to travel quickly between them. The sea is almost eerily calm and open, yet it echoes, allowing battlers on different isles to hear each other clearly.

This leads to some interesting possibilities, to say the least. All 3 of both trainers' Pokémon will be on the field at once, each battling simultaneously on separate islands. Each island is self-contained as far as damage is concerned, but they share weather conditions, and moves that would ordinarily bypass Substitute can be targeted on Pokémon on other islands.

If a Pokémon knocks out its opponent, it will be recalled and sent back out if one of its teammates is knocked out. If both of its teammates are knocked out on the same round, its trainer picks which opponent to fight first.

Trainers will PM their Pokémon to the ref, who will be match them against each other in the order listed.

Ugh, I wanna ref this, but finals are coming up. Dibs on reffing if it's still around in 2 weeks though!

I've been wanting to try this for a while, so let's see how this goes.

3vs3 single
Style: Set, except for switch moves like baton pass, volt switch, etc. However, switching by this method only works once. After that, they're just regular attacks.
DQ: Standard week
Banned Moves: OHKO moves, Pain split, Attract, Super fang, Endeavor, any moves that instantly faint a battler, and direct recovery moves (Indirect ones are fine). Chills are limited to 3 per pokémon.
Arena: Cabin in the woods

For reasons unknown, the battlers have decided to take an ill-advised trip into the woods to fight in an abandoned old cabin. The place is a complete wreck, with crumbling walls and broken furniture scattered about, not to the mention a large, jagged hole in the center of the roof. (At least it'll allow weather moves to take effect!) Doors have been torn off their hinges, windows have been broken, and old, rotten food is everywhere. Maybe a battler with some imagination could make use of this trash, but most people will just want to avoid it.

The place is also covered in what appears to be a strange, red mould with a slimy texture, which may be of alien origin. Whatever it is, it causes some very odd effects on the battlers, and should be treated with caution. The mould also has an influence on the arena itself, leading to a variety of restrictions, among other things:

- No critical hits can be scored.

- A Pokémon can take an action to roll around in the mould and coat themselves with it, or alternatively, try to coat their opponent. This changes their type to psychic and grants them access to the moves telekinesis, psychic, psybeam and confusion. If the Pokémon has two types, one type is replaced at random. The mould can be burnt off by repeated use of fire attacks, however.

- Every three rounds, orbs of bright lights appear near the shattered windows and remain there for two rounds. The blue orb changes a Pokémon's ability to their hidden one for the rest of the match (grabbing it again later reverses the effect), the red orb causes type weaknesses to be ignored (this can be reversed by either Pokémon that grabs the orb later), and the yellow orb allows the holder to choose a team-mate in the PC to switch movepools with (this can also by reversed by the affected Pokémon grabbing the same orb again later). A Pokémon can use up an action to catch an orb and gain the effect. Only one orb may be caught per Pokémon on each appearance.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Ether's Bane

Format: 2v2 singles
DQ: 6 days
Damage Cap: 60%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Evasion
Arena Description: Ultimate Football Stadium

No, America, it's "football", not "soccer". :P

Anyway, how it works is like this: at the start of the battle, the stadium will morph into one of the eleven stadiums on the list at random. Every start of round, it will become another stadium, again chosen at random. Should the battle go beyond eleven rounds, the slate will be wiped clean, and it starts over, again in a random order. At the end of each round, the referee will state which stadium is coming next.

List of possible stadiums and their effects:

Parc des Princes: Each Pokemon receives a King's Rock at the start of the round if they aren't already holding an item. The King's Rock disappears at the end of the round.
Estadio Santiago Bernabeu: If a Pokemon is knocked out while this stadium is active, the trainer will receive twice the usual amount of money for knocking out a Pokemon.
Estádio do Maracanã: The Pokemon with the lower base Speed gets a +2 boost in Attack and Special Attack at the start of the round. This effect disappears at the end of the round.
Old Trafford: All red Pokemon get a +2 Attack boost. This effect disappears at the end of the round.
Juventus Stadium: All black or white Pokemon get a +2 Defense boost. This effect disappears at the end of the round.
Allianz Arena: All Pokemon gain access to the following moves: Flash, Tail Glow, Light Screen, Camouflage, Signal Beam. All Pokemon's movepools will return to normal at the end of the round.
Signal Iduna Park: All Pokemon which are neither yellow nor black have Intimidate inflicted upon them at the beginning of the round. This effect disappears at the end of the round.
Estadio Azteca: Pokemon with hands get a +1 Attack and +1 Special Attack boost. This effect disappears at the end of the round.
Estadio del Camp Nou: All red or blue Pokemon get a +1 Attack boost and access to Baton Pass. This effect disappears at the end of the round.
Luzhniki Stadium: As long as this stadium is active, all Ice-type Pokemon get a 10% power boost in their attacks, while all Grass-type Pokemon get a 10% power reduction.
Estádio da Luz: As long as this stadium is active, all Electric-type Pokemon get a 10% power boost in their attacks.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Back
Top Bottom