• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

League Championship 2011

I asked Meowth if he was going to be able to keep reffing for me a few days ago, but he hasn't gotten back to me. Would anybody be willing to pick up my battle against RK-9?

I asked Meowth if he was going to be able to keep reffing for me a few days ago, but he hasn't gotten back to me. Would anybody be willing to pick up my battle against RK-9?

I'll take it. I'm pretty much done with Pathos vs. Effercon, I just need to write a battle end post.

EDIT: apparently ninja'd. Nvm.

Squornshellous Beta decided against it, so if you're still willing, that would be great.

Wouldn't it be simplest to simply remove round four entirely? Because, unless I'm mistaken, 3+5 does not equal 16. And that would solve the whole prize issue entirely.

Wouldn't it be simplest to simply remove round four entirely? Because, unless I'm mistaken, 3+5 does not equal 16. And that would solve the whole prize issue entirely.
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. There are supposed to be eight battles in round four, not sixteen. I have to redo prizes for most of the rounds, not just that one.

Okay, we're wrapping up the first round here, so I'm going to post the information for the second round battles so people can start getting their active squads ready. I'll be randomizing the second-round pairings and setting up the threads as soon as the last first-round battles closed, so you won't get a lot of warning; you probably want to set your team up in advance.

Also, if there's anyone who would like to ref, please let me know now. There are ten battles total this round, and they will again be three-day DQ ones. Thanks to the referees who volunteered to handle the first round; it went well, I think, and I'm grateful that I didn't have to end up doing like 15 battles or something.

Here's next round's battle information:

1 vs 1
DQ Time: 3 Days
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned Moves: OHKO's, attacks that require terrain resources (e.g. water, rocks, or plants), weather attacks
Terrain: Nimbasa City Music Hall

As the TCoD League championship moves on from Castelia City, the next stop is Unova's recreation hotspot, Nimbasa City. There are all kinds of attractions to choose from: the ferris wheel, the sports domes, and even the battle subway, perhaps a natural choice for a pokémon tournament. But let's be serious--these all pale into comparison to the real reason you'd want to visit Nimbasa City. After all, you haven't really lived until you've stuck a moustache on your Arceus and then chuckled to yourself as you watched the creator of the pokémon world prancing and rolling across the stage next to a patrat wearing cowboy boots.

Yes, the league is taking to the stage and setting its next round of battle to music. The battle takes place on one of the four Music Hall stages (Stardom, Forest Stroll, A Sweet Soiree, or Exciting Nimbasa), selected at random. The different backdrops have no effect on the battle. In addition, trainers may dress their pokémon up in any way that they wish, although costumes will also have no effect on the battle (even if they include things like weapons or props that would ordinarily be useful in a fight). However, they can also choose the music that will play during each round, and different tunes will have different effects on the pokémon battling.

Battles for this round will begin with the posting of each player's active squad as usual. After that, however, each player PM's their choice of pokémon, a description of that pokémon's costume, and their selection of songs and their effects to the referee. Each player chooses five songs and comes up with effects for them (appropriate effects are described below); these will be played in order, one during each round of battle, and the player who is ordering first in that round is always the one who will have his or her song playing during that round. Once the pokémon and songs have been received from both players, the referee will randomize which player gives commands first, then posts what pokémon each player will be using and the song (and the effects it will have on the battle) that will play for the first round--the first song on the list for the player who orders first in the first round. From that point forward, commands proceed as normal, with the referee posting the next song and its effects at the end of each round. If neither pokémon has been knocked out at the end of ten rounds, the winner will be determined by totaling each pokémon's health and energy, the same way it was during the previous round.

Any sort of music can be specified as the song for a given round, but please don't pick something offensive. Don't make me regret not restricting you to songs without lyrics, that is. A song can have a variety of effects on the battlefield, whether raising the power of some kinds of attacks for that round to healing status ailments. However, they must affect both pokémon equally--you can't have only your pokémon get an attack boost, for example. However, it's fine if you specify an effect that, due to the nature of your pokémon, will not affect the opponent the same as your pokémon; for example, if you specify that both pokémon will become severely poisoned but send out a steel-type, then your pokémon will not be poisoned even though your opponent's might. Effects that would ordinarily last multiple rounds (like trick room, weather attacks, or status conditions), if caused by a song, will last only for that round, and you can ask for weather effects even though pokémon won't be able to create them with their attacks. Effects always come into play at the beginning of the round, before either pokémon has the opportunity to act; thus, if a song will cause both pokémon to be burned, they will start out the round burned, and the burn can't be prevented by any of their attacks (i.e. you can't block a first-action burn with a safeguard).

Songs are restricted to causing damage/energy swings of no more than 3% (e.g. "All fire attacks cause 3% more damage after all effects" or "All fire attacks cost 3% less energy after all effects) and causing stat boosts/reductions of no more than two levels. They may also have only one effect: they cause hail to come into play or they increase fire-type attack damage by 3% or they cause both pokémon to fall asleep or they cause both pokémon to become paralyzed, etc., not any combination thereof. They also may not prevent the pokémon from acting in a round, e.g. "neither pokémon can use damaging attacks this round" or "neither pokémon can act this round", ban one or more attacks for the round, or alter the pokémon's movepools.

If you don't want to go to the trouble to figure out a set of songs for yourself and/or don't want your pokémon to fight in costume, then just let your referee know when you choose which pokémon to send out. They will come up with a list of randomly-selected pokémon-related songs with associated effects and then PM them back to you, so that you retain the advantage of knowing what will happen on each one of "your" song rounds. (Or, if the referee doesn't want to do that either, they can PM me and I'll provide the music for that player instead.)

Last edited:
I'll ref another battle if possible. Only one though, three is the maximum I can take personally without going insane. If you just want Intermediate or Elite Refs that's fine then.

Also, could you create a song that essentially has no effect? And could you have two songs that do the same thing play at different times in the battle?

tumblr_llgfcvbgn91qdbidn

*ahem* aaaanyway. Round structure as currently listed:

First round: 40 battlers, 20 matches = 20 winners
Second round: 20 battlers, 10 matches = 10 winners
Third round: 10 battlers, 5 matches = 5 winners
Late bracket (~simultaneous with third round): 6 battlers, 3 matches = 3 winners
(total winners going into fourth round = 8)
Fourth round: 16 battlers, 8 battles = 8 winners
Quarterfinals: 8 battlers, 4 battles = 4 winners
Semifinals: 4 battles, 2 battlers = 2 winners
Finals: 2 battlers, 1 battle = 1 winner

Discrepancy in bold.

So yes, Mendatt is right; you did something wonky with the fourth round and doubled the number of participants. Remove round 4 and jump straight into the quarterfinals, then adjust the prizes for everything accordingly.

I'll ref another battle if possible. Only one though, three is the maximum I can take personally without going insane. If you just want Intermediate or Elite Refs that's fine then.

Also, could you create a song that essentially has no effect? And could you have two songs that do the same thing play at different times in the battle?
You're fine to ref for this round. Thanks for offering!

You could have a song that does (next to) nothing, as long as you don't repeat that effect for any other song. The five songs do have to be different though.

Discrepancy in bold.

So yes, Mendatt is right; you did something wonky with the fourth round and doubled the number of participants. Remove round 4 and jump straight into the quarterfinals, then adjust the prizes for everything accordingly.
Since I believe I only added round four due to some other supposed battle discrepancy, I can try taking it out again and seeing what happens.

Many thanks to the people who have volunteered to ref! I would be happy to have all of you on.

Would status afflictions caused by a song also last for only one round, or do they have their normal duration?

I'd absolutely love to ref this, but unfortunately I'll probably be too weighed down by school by the time round 2 starts.

Well, I'll be rooting against the strong people who always win and have all the experience and stuff if you need me. ^-^

Back
Top Bottom