• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Least favorite Pokémon generation?

Loffyglu

Opinions always subject to change.
Least favorite Pokémon generation?

I'm sure at least some of us had a generation we weren't particularly fond of for one reason or another, whether it was the Pokémon designs, the region the main games took place in, the games that came out during that generation... so, for the sake of complaining, what was your least favorite?

I'll come right out and admit that I wasn't fond at all of the fourth generation. :c At the time, I was afraid of saying it because I was afraid I'd sound like a nostalgia whore (I'm just as annoyed with them as anyone else, trust me!), but I actually didn't really like a lot of the fourth gen Pokémon designs, or really Sinnoh itself. But, you know, then the fifth gen came out, and Loffy got happy again~ c: I like the fifth gen.

Re: Least favorite Pokémon generation?

I hate fifth gen. Okay, It's all right, but it was just a bunch of deceptions for me. TOP:

TepigPigniteEmboar : I mean come on, like two of them isn't enough.

VanilliteVanillishVanilluxe : I can't wait for the hamburger Pokémon. (sarcasm here, if they do that I swear I will never play Pokémon ever again)

I mean, apart from few of them (Joltik and Shelmet <3) Gen V had very few novelty. Also the map is very linear and sucks in general.

Gen IV was nice.

Tentacool/Zubat

Nuff said, they ruin caves/water

But I like Crobat

Absolutely fourth. I wish fifth did more to fix what fourth broke in the metagame but I fear it took a turn for the worse. I love Unova, though. Sinnoh is a diverse region, but it does a bad job at not being boring. HGSS were great remakes, it's just GSC weren't that good.

fifth was good, but the region itself is terrible. kanto's so nostalgic and i love the pokemon in it, but i don't like the region there either.

sinnoh is awesome and the pokemon are all awesome

I'll be the first here to say the Gen II was my least favorite. The region was wonderful and revisiting kanto was a nice bonus at the end of the game, but Pokemon designs just didn't pique my intrest.
Gen I was great with a lot of diversity between tough, cute, ugly, useful, and creepy designs. Gen II always felt like Nintendo catering to the girl demographic with adorable woodland creatures while forgetting any notion of diversity behind many of the designs. Of course there are exceptions, the legendaries rocked and the games were still as fun as always, but I find little use in Gen II Pokemon compared to others. I was excited to see the decrease in adorable Pokemon amount when Gen III came around.

As for Gen IV that everyone so far seems to dislike the most, I kinda enjoyed that gen.. I like a lot of the Pokemon designs and the switch from GBA to DS, while rough, still prods my happy buttons when I see the changes. Eh, just my opinion.

Honestly, I think every generation is good in its own way, and deserve its own merits.

First, generation I. It was so novel, and unprecedented in its depth for a Gameboy game. It was obvious the programmers and designers put much thought into it, and the result was the start of a global phenomenon.

Then, generation II. Generation I set the bar pretty high, but Nintendo passed it easily. It introduced many new concepts, and decent new Pokémon. It blew way past everyone's expectations. It was great.

Generation III was when I entered the Pokémon fandom. Graphically, the game was a huge leap forward. Also, there was a huge leap in strategy and a rise in competitive battling, thanks to double battles. Incidentally, this was when most of the original fandom ditched Pokémon.

Generation IV did, in my opinion, a rather poor job of porting the series over to the DS. However, wifi capabilities were excellently integrated and utilized and brought fans together from all over the world, truly showing how Pokémon battles bring friends and enemies closer. Also, running in Pokémon Centres!

And finally, Generation V. The Pokémon designs were underwhelming, in my opinion. Some of the 3D was poor, and I rather GameFreak just leave out 3D until they can do it completely and properly. However, the plot was actually pretty decent and got me thinking, a first for a Pokémon game.

I didn't really like fourth gen for the most part, except HGSS. I think it may be because of what Alvyren said, they just did a really bad job at not being boring. I love some of the pokemon from Sinnoh (like Drifblim, Gallade, Vespiquen, Torterra and others) but some of them are just, kind of bad (like Floatzel, and few others)

I wasn't as excited about fifth gen, either, mostly due to Emboar being fire/fighting. Yes it's a really useful combo we get it. Give us a different fire starter! And the map is kind of lame (to me) but I deal with it because a bunch of fifth gen pokemon are really fun to use.

The new evos from Gen IV were definitely cool, such as Weavile, Electivire, Rhyperior, and Gallade. But most of the original Pokemon, such as Cherrim, Finneon, Burmy, BIDOOF... they were just plain terrible.

Gen I and Gen III are still the best IMO.

0: why do everybody hate Sinnoh?
Boring region (lots of reused town music, most of the battle music was unoriginal, cities tended to get less-exciting as the game progressed, leaders were laughably easy), poorly implemented new Pokémon (way too many added evolutions/babies, most of them unavailable in Sinnoh until Pt, ridiculously unbalanced new Pokémon), wrecked , unbalanced metagame compared to the favourable balance of the ADV metagame... I just felt that there was a lot less character to the games, especially DP. Pt did quite a bit to improve things, but it probably wasn't enough to pull 4th gen out from last.

Also re: Fire/Fighting starters, there's one theory about Infernape and Emboar being part of some trio (Blaziken unrelated) from Chinese lore, and there's speculation that next Water starter (the third of the trio) will be /Fighting. You'll notice that Infernape and Emboar have similar motifs.

i hate the 4th generation. mainly because of the pokemon designs and the basic storyline. in my opinion, 5th gen fixed both. but i still like hoenn best

Boring region...

I must agree the music part was lacking, and B/W was amazing for that. However, I think Gen 4 had the best pokémon designs and types in term of novelty. Yes, maybe a little too much a evos / devos, but most of them proved to be very interesting in competitive battles. Things like Gliscor, Togekiss, Mamoswine, Gallade, etc were great additions.

I think the storyline was okay (B/W was better with that though) and far from boring. Although, it is true that I played Platinum.

Also, ridiculously unbalanced new Pokémon? You sure we aren't talking about Gen V here? I think the metagame was fairly balanced compared to Gen V. (weather everywhere :0)

I like every gen insanely a lot, but my least favorite has to be whichever gen had HG/SS (is that 4th or 2nd?)

I liked Platinum, it's probably one of my favortie games, but I think Gamefreak kinda ruined HG/SS in my opinion.

I'll probably say the first generation, and Kanto in general, is my least favourite. The Pokemon there are my least favourite, mostly because I think as there were no Pokemon preceding them, they used the most basic ideas. The later generations forced the makers of the games to become more creative with the Pokemon they made, as the common ideas had been used up.

Besides that, I have no real reason that I hate Kanto except for a grudge I've been harbouring every since I first started playing the games, when I was about 5 or 6. The first game I got was Pokemon Yellow, and for the life of me I could not beat Brock. Probably because I insisted on training Pikachu and Pikachu only. Thus, I have a hate for the first generation that manifested in the deepest part of my soul.

Also, ridiculously unbalanced new Pokémon? You sure we aren't talking about Gen V here? I think the metagame was fairly balanced compared to Gen V. (weather everywhere :0)

I did say Gen V did make the metagame worse. Gen IV still introduced Stealth Rock and brought Sandstorm to every game (as well as ridiculous Pokémon like Infernape, Garchomp, Azelf, Heatran). Weather everywhere is fine -- as long as the weathers are balanced, in which they are not.

I'll join the bandwagon and say fourth, even though I liked most of the Pokemon in the Sinnoh region. Although, the Sinnoh region by itself felt uninspired and kind of tedious. The marshes, honey trees, and snow routes dragged the games on without having any sort of interesting challenge to them. Besides Snowpoint, Canalave, and maybe Sunyshore, the towns had very little remarkable about them. I did, however, enjoy the mythos behind the region; especially the Canalave library. (Kind of wish there was a bit more to the library, though.) I agree with Alvyren about the music being uninteresting. I only really recall the music by the Pokemon Center before you enter Victory Road, where as in other regions there's at least a few tunes that come to mind. I did like how the Gym Leaders had roles outside of their job, especially in Platinum.

Also, most of the side games weren't that notable: Mystery Dungeon had a wonderful plot, but the game play was boring after a few dungeons. The Ranger series wasn't bad, but had nothing especially noteworthy about it. Battle Revolution was Stadium without the charm of minigames or a semi-decent selection of Pokemon. [/ramble] I did enjoy HeartGold and SoulSilver, though.

I did say Gen V did make the metagame worse. Gen IV still introduced Stealth Rock and brought Sandstorm to every game (as well as ridiculous Pokémon like Infernape, Garchomp, Azelf, Heatran). Weather everywhere is fine -- as long as the weathers are balanced, in which they are not.

Garchomp was sent to Ubers, and the rest weren't that unbalanced. Maybe Azelf, but it was frail as shit and weak to Pursuit, so eh. Easily revenge-killable.

I disliked Generation IV as well. It didn't do anything. There was no innovations in Generation IV other than, "Hey, there is 100+ new Pokemon, a new region, and is fit for the most current system." which is the bare minimum of what one would want out of a new Pokemon generation. Just as Generation II was more like Generation I 1/2, Generation IV was more like Generation III 1/2.

So really, that means the Generation schema looks more like this:

->1st- Generation I (and Generation II)
->2nd- Generation III (and Generation IV)
->3rd- Generation V

It didn't do anything. There was no innovations in Generation IV other than, "Hey, there is 100+ new Pokemon, a new region, and is fit for the most current system.

I assume you're not taking the physical/special split, which is one of the most determinant things Pokémon has ever introduced and which completely changed everything, into account?

Back
Top Bottom