• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2010

My story hasn't had a lot of dialogue so far... mostly in short bursts... so I haven't had much problem. (I mean, the first Act IS called Silence... heh.) But the second Act is starting to get really talky. If I do decide to tag my dialogue (since I tend to be a bit in Jessie's camp sometimes), I just say my characters are doing stuff after or as they talk, since well, it's usually in fight scenes that characters in this story have been talking. So I mostly just put "BLAH BLAH BLAH." And then say that Such-And-Such Character shot a burst of magic out of their hand as they spoke this or something like that. Or I describe the tone of their voice. I have been using "said" a bit more though now, but... ultimately not much. I've not really been consciously avoiding it either... that's just sort of how it comes out.

Anyways, I've just gotten quite far today. 28,000-something, almost 30,000! Been writing for a long while. This Act was feeling a bit... laggy and boring and like my Segments weren't really that long. Although now it's getting good again with what I've just written and I've got a few good plans for what happens next... since I've gotten somewhat off-track by adding a sub-plot with another character who I actually just intended to have a one-time appearance and haven't been moving the main plot along much. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a nice and rather unexpected sub-plot that makes things more interesting... but I do have things planned I'd like to get to.

I do use said a lot - you don't see me writing something like "'Yeah,' he ejaculated". But once you get into those lonnnnggg stretches of dialogue, you start to get tired of "he said", "she said", "Daniel said", "F'thorgangler said", and you try to spice it up, make it a bit interesting. But then, if you can't find suitable alternatives to said, you'll end up with stuff like "said chirpily, with a hint of sarcasm in her voice intermingled with doubt" which I find awkward.

I am having lots of self esteem issues right now. Nothing has really happened in my story so far. It is very boring, and I feel like I'll have to cut almost all of this nonsense I've been writing out if I want to make it readable. Eeeurgh. I feel like the NaNoWriMo method is not really working out for me this year. Then again, it never really produced anything worthwhile in the past. Maybe I am just really not meant to be doing this.

So I was writing and I realized that I haven't showed you guys how sexy and very appropriate my usual writing environment is.

(count that as an excerpt if you want, argleblargle awkward repetitive phrasing poor word choice Kratos you suck etc.. and yes, those are the phrases "raw, wild giggle of triumph" and "psychopathic bidoof" at the bottom there. I'll leave you to puzzle over those on your own.)

(have another screencap--same background and everything, but I feel like I need to drive all the sexy home. also another terribad excerpt.)

@Zeta: It's okay, we can have self-esteem issues together! But c'mon, keep trying anyway! You never know what might turn out to be salvageable in the end, and it could be more than you think!

my fic now involves Pokémon TCG canon in a big way.

Wait... the card game has "canon?" From what I remember of it, it was more of a throw-everything-in, even-if-it-makes-no-sense kind of thing, with the types all jammed together, attacks/stats having little or no relation to the games, random silly things like "crystal type" and "dark" versions of Pokémon, etc...

Or is this the Pokémon TCG Game Boy games? I never got around to playing the second one, so I guess it could've had more of a storyline than the first one's "there's an island where everyone plays a card game."

====

Anyway... Up to 23,907 now, and I'm pretty far into Chapter 7; getting close to the end of the first major thing that happens. Not sure if the second major event of this one will be quite long enough to split it into two chapters, so I figure it will end up just being one long (maybe 4000+ words instead of the usual 3000-something?) chapter.

And here's another chapter chunk:

"Seems a bit quieter on this floor," Elvis said.

"Yep," Pugh said, "It does seem that way."

The two vampires walked down a long hallway lined with small rooms on either side, occasionally spotting a door that seemed like it hadn't quite been closed all the way.

"Still... it's hard to tell what might be going on behind all these doors."

Elvis glanced at one of the slightly-open doors, spotting what appeared to be some article of clothing hanging out into the hallway.

"Knowing humans... I don't think I want to find out."

They walked down to the end of the hall, then turned and began to head down another hallway toward a staircase leading up. About halfway down the hall, however, one of the doors ahead of them suddenly swung open and a grungy-looking vampire in a tank top and jeans walked out. He was followed shortly afterward by a young and rather drunk-looking woman with an obvious vampire bite mark on her upper shoulder.

"Err... you've got a bit of blood on your face," Pugh pointed out. "Right there."

"Huh?", the other vampire said, reaching up with one finger to check. "Oh. Whoops, sorry 'bout that, man. Always have been kind of a messy eater."

The woman standing behind him giggled, then wobbled a bit before grabbing onto the vampire to support herself. Apparently, she was having a hard time standing up, which was no surprise at all considering that she was both drunk and lacking a pint or so of blood.

"Hey, is there any chance you've seen a vampire with a purple coat and hat around here?", Elvis asked. "About yea high, wearing lots of gold chains. We've kind of been looking for him."

"Yeah, that'd be the boss," the other vampire said, taking the drunk woman by the hand and leading her back down the hallway. "Lives up on the third floor."

Pugh and Elvis watched as the two staggered down the hallway, the vampire apparently beginning to get a bit tipsy himself after drinking a meal's worth of alcohol-laden blood. They then headed over toward the stairs leading upward, stopping just short of the first step.

"So... this guy we're looking for is apparently a 'boss' of some sort," Pugh said, putting his hand on his chin and thinking. "My question is... boss of what?"

"Good question... I'm thinking the company that owns the club, or maybe some sort of organized crime."

"Well... the stairs to the third floor are right there," Pugh said, turning back in that direction. "So how about we go and find out?"

Of course, now I have two chapters in a row with no title. At the moment I'm just placeholdering them with "~ ~" (I put my chapter titles between spaced tildes), but I'd like to actually have titles for them eventually... at least before the 30th, anyway.

Doing a little bit of character development right now, and then finally writing my first battle for the story (only 44 pages in, too! ><). Really though, my story doesn't really focus on the battling aspect of Pokemon, so I really don't care too much. I'm mainly happy that I introduced all of the main and important characters, and set up the issues with all of them.

Tomorrow and Tuesday are days off for me thanks to my surgery, so I'll have more writing time. :)

Wait... the card game has "canon?" From what I remember of it, it was more of a throw-everything-in, even-if-it-makes-no-sense kind of thing, with the types all jammed together, attacks/stats having little or no relation to the games, random silly things like "crystal type" and "dark" versions of Pokémon, etc...

Or is this the Pokémon TCG Game Boy games? I never got around to playing the second one, so I guess it could've had more of a storyline than the first one's "there's an island where everyone plays a card game."
It ... kind of ... does ... I am making stuff up involving Holon pokémon >D

Oh, the second game has a lot more plot, but it's mostly along the lines of AND THEN THEY KIDNAPPED THE CLUB LEADERS AND THREATENED TO DROP THEM IN LAVA and AND THEN YOU SNEAK ONTO TEAM GR'S ZEPPELIN.

ooh oooh I wanna try! muttered, murmured, whispered, gasped, yelled, retorted, snapped, asked, answered, called, spat, shrieked, screeched, breathed. 8D there.

My sister and I were bored one evening, years ago, and came up with a list of several hundred.

I do use said a lot - you don't see me writing something like "'Yeah,' he ejaculated". But once you get into those lonnnnggg stretches of dialogue, you start to get tired of "he said", "she said", "Daniel said", "F'thorgangler said", and you try to spice it up, make it a bit interesting. But then, if you can't find suitable alternatives to said, you'll end up with stuff like "said chirpily, with a hint of sarcasm in her voice intermingled with doubt" which I find awkward.
Jessie's method is the best way out of this - in long stretches of dialogue you don't need to attach a dialogue tag to everything to begin with. It is perfectly understandable to write a few lines where the reader just has to assume the speaker alternates with each paragraph; you can't go on too long like that or the reader might start to mix the speakers up, but it gives a nice break from the repetitiveness of "he said" and "she said". Additionally (especially if more than two characters are participating), actions can be used in place of actual speech-verb dialogue tags: if a character does something in the same paragraph as a line of dialogue, that character is assumed to be the one delivering the dialogue. To grab a random example from Morphic:

He turned into the Kerrigans’ home street. On the corner stood that creepy, pale, dark-haired fundamentalist guy with the sign again – he hadn’t seen him in a while. What had his name been again? The man looked at Dave as they passed and grinned widely. Creepy fuck.

“It was him,” said Mia matter-of-factly.

“Hm?”

“It was him,” she repeated. “Who killed Brian.”

Dave turned his head sharply towards her and turned back just in time to avoid driving up onto the sidewalk. “What? Don’t be ridiculous. That’s not him. They caught him, remember?”

Mia shook her head. “It was him. Must have got the wrong guy.”

Dave laughed for a moment but stopped when he realized how nervous he sounded. “That’s ridiculous. Why the fuck would you think that?”

“The way he looked at you.”

“You can’t tell who killed a guy by just watching how he looks at some other guy, for fuck’s sake.” Dave glanced in the rear-view mirror. The man had turned around and was still watching them.

“The tendons in his neck tensed. And then he bared his teeth.”

“That’s what you call a fucking smile.”

“His pupils dilated. The index finger twitched a little when he was remembering how he pulled the trigger.”

“What are you now, fucking psychic?” He pulled into the driveway. “Look, they had a real psychic down at the police station. They have the right guy, okay?”

“It was him,” Mia just repeated, in the exact same tone as before.

“Bullshit.” Dave stopped the car, pulled the key out of the ignition and opened the door, throwing Mia a glance.
There are three lines of dialogue here with an actual speech-verb dialogue tag, six that are qualified with an action, and five that aren't marked at all and just rely on the reader's assumption that people generally don't reply to themselves. The exact proportions will vary depending on what works for the scene in question (if there are noteworthy things about the way the dialogue is being said, there will be proportionally more speech verb tags, whereas if the characters are doing a lot of interesting things while they talk, you'll have a lot of action tags).

Since "said" is invisible, it's more the structure that gets repetitive than the word: '"Line," character verbed' will get just as repetitive with fancier verbs as it does with "said". Thus, the best way to keep your dialogue smooth is to vary the structure of the dialogue tags or lack thereof rather than the speech verbs.

Last edited:
It ... kind of ... does ... I am making stuff up involving Holon pokémon >D

Oh. I have no idea what a Holon Pokémon is... must be something they added after I stopped paying any attention at all to the card game.

Well, done for today. Chapter seventeen was just as fun to write as chapters seven and fourteen. Ahhh, I LOVE battle scenes.

On a somewhat-related note, my friend says "epic=explosions". People's thoughts?

EDIT: Oh, and just realized that I'm more than halfway there!

@Butterfree: Thanks, that was helpful. Looking back I do think I use way too many dialogue tags. Although I always had this idea that it was sort of sloppy to just put the quote in its own paragraph without any indication of who is saying it. I think that might stem from this one time in first grade when I told a kid that you didn't need to say "John said, Sarah said, John said, Sarah said" if it's just two people, and then he went up and shared his story and it was just three minutes of dialogue with no narration whatsoever. lolz.

So I think I might be sort of "giving up" on NaNoWriMo. :| For a few reasons.

a) I don't like the way my story is going so far. The stuff I wrote before NaNo started is vastly superior to what I'm writing now, on both the prose level and the overall plot. And yeah, I know, "at least you're getting something down" but eehhhhhhhh

b) I'm just not as "into" NaNoWriMo as I was in years past. When I did it in 07 and 09, even when I didn't feel like writing I would obsess over my wordcount and browse the forums and etc. Now... I didn't know what my wordcount was at all until I checked a second ago. It's harder for me to care, for whatever reason

c) I'm kind of at a time right now where I'd rather just chill out and enjoy life than have to force myself to do some mundane activity every day. I feel like I would be happier and write better if I just let the words come naturally rather than having to force them out.

d) I sort of have an idea of how to salvage what I've written so far and make it usable, but it'll involve heavy reading over and editing of what I have already done. Which is of course "something you should never do during NaNoWriMo". And until I can do some reading and editing, it'll be hard for me to progress.

But.

In another way, I'm not giving up, because I still plan to at least attempt to write every day. And I still plan to shut myself in over Thanksgiving break and write like a madman (although CoD Black Ops might distract me). So it seems unlikely that I won't "win" NaNoWriMo, at the very least. I'm only 6000 words behind which is really not a lot to bounce back from at all.

But yeah 100K is just completely not happening. It just wasn't meant to be, I suppose. Maybe I'll try it again for next NaNoWriMo, but right now the idea of forcing myself to write x amount of words over x amount of time is... extremely unappealing. One year from now, it may or may not be.

Up to 25,377 now, and done with Major Event #1 of Chapter 7. And on top of that, Chapter 7 has a title now, amazingly. It just kinda popped into my head and gave me an extra five points on the wordcount-o-meter at the last second.

Over 25,000 means I'm officially more than halfway there, and still ahead of the daily wordcount (though I didn't quite manage 1,667 today.) I can't remember exactly how far I got last year, but I don't think it could've possibly been more than maybe 28,000 or 30,000 or so... so I'm probably catching up to "Last-Year Me" right about now.

(And I'm not even getting sick of writing the story yet, unlike this time last year! Yay!)

GO SURSKITTY GO \o/

And that's too bad, Zeta. In the end you have to work at the pace that's most comfortable for you when it's most comfortable. I wish I could say that working slowly worked better for me, too, but until I reach that point I guess I keep typing until my keyboard catches fire! Oh well!

28303. I am way further than I intended to be. Sadly though I've almost caught up to where the characters are right now. So I gotta go by what happens in the game this Thursday.

Weekends == unhappy Linoone

And now I have 4000+ more words before I'm caught up because weekends are stupid. :( MUST KEEP TRYING

And why are all my minor-ish characters getting all the character development, dammit.

This is basically what's happening in my story:
Kill character
Develop said character via flashbacks
Dammit, why is this character so nice I feel kind of bad now
During said flashback, push another character past despair even horizon
...And now I'm starting to feel sorry for this character.
Get distracted while doing research
Realize that I still have homework to do whyyyyy
Also, random plot points

Something like that. Also add "angst over how horribad my writing is" in as many places as you can and this is basically how my NaNo goes.

I think my NaNo is almost dead. I've had zero motivation to write because the drugs I'm on post-surgery are making me feel extremely tired, and I'm more than 6000 words behind. Hopefully I get some motivation soon.

HIIKARU WHERE ARE YOU?!

ALRIGHT I AM POSTING. 8[

I got behind in the posts and keep going "aaah now I have to reply to a lot of people!" but instead I am not going to reply to a lot of people so I can pretend I'm caught up in the posts! I read them all and you guys are all great, but, I just keep getting more behind in this thread here.

I am, as of this very moment, at 29947 and counting.

CRAZY LINOONE you should absolutely write more motivational posts! Those were great responses and it was really excellent and also asdf; thanks you guys! You're welcome for the cheerful posts! (also Linoone you felt so cheerful because attempting to motivate other people makes you feel great and motivated also!)

Some generic things, then. Also, this is going to sound silly and rambly because I'm tired and in a weird mood anyway. /no excuse

Said: Is great. Except that I keep using it over and over and over and it's sort of getting silly because they are not, actually, just saying things a lot of the time. I try to keep a balance between abusing said or alternatives, and explaining what my characters are doing instead so you can get an idea of their voice without a real tag. People can glare at each other, their expressions can soften, you know. Also, I personally have a lot of trouble following rapid-fire conversations with no tags at all, so I don't really write like that unless my characters have opposing opinions or something so it's acceptably clear. Like if they were talking about ham and one of them hates ham and one of them loves ham, it would probably be pretty clear who was speaking when someone said "But... but... ham is awesome!" (not that I am actually writing about ham at all)

People who think their writing sucks: You guys! This is so barely even true. Well, it sort of is, but! In between the terrible forced lines are great things. When you write every day with no regard to quality, you are freeing your real creative muse. You will read your writing later and you will cringe at the things you wrote at odd hours of the night, but if you slog through it you will find things you are proud of! It's like when you're having a silly long conversation with someone about things, and you just keep talking without deciding to be quiet because you're embarrassing yourself, and you come up with a couple of great ideas that you decide to put in your next novel. I'm not the only one who does this, am I? I'm pretty sure I'm not.

People who are behind: You guys can still make it! It's totally doable to write ten thousand words in a single day! I know you are all busy, but if a person who is not busy and who is getting good at speed writing can do this, then you can absolutely still catch up! Just sit down for a while and go. Turn off your distractions. Tell your family to yell at you if they see you sneaking out for a cookie. You can do this.

surskitty: !!!!!

People who are starting to feel like this isn't actually worth it and they're just writing garbage: Some of you (Zeta) have done NaNoWriMo before and you understand about this. However, as I've said before, if you write this much, it will not be complete garbage. It won't! Quantity over quality makes you worry less about why and how and lets you just write stream-of-consciousness. Even if this novel isn't your best, all of your novels after this will be better. And this novel will have things in it that are useful and enjoyable. Also, really, when you are writing for quantity you simply don't usually realize how good it really is. Frequently you can come back to something you thought was garbage at the time of writing it and find that it is perfectly acceptable! There is no such thing as a NaNoWriMo novel that is zero parts good. There just isn't.

Everyone in general:
You guys!!!
Really! Everyone is doing really excellently and there are so many records being broken and people are getting proud of themselves and competing and basically everyone is happy and great when they're not being "aaaah how can I do this!" and this is probably the best NaNoWriMo year on the forum!

Also, general advice: Do sprints. You don't have to write fast. It does not have to be a sprint the way I know all of you who are not doing them are imagining them. I was skeptical, but if you do something like a twenty minute sprint, you will be better able to remove distractions and just write because every time you think to do something, instead of doing it, you go "yeah but just x more minutes!!!" Really!

Also, on writing fast, since people were talking about how fast they are!: This is really difficult. You mostly have to let go of the idea that you are going to write beautiful prose right here and also let go of any semblance of planning and just go. This takes practice, and it is certainly not easy at first, but busy people and behind people in particular should definitely work on this!

I think my NaNo is almost dead. I've had zero motivation to write because the drugs I'm on post-surgery are making me feel extremely tired, and I'm more than 6000 words behind. Hopefully I get some motivation soon.

HIIKARU WHERE ARE YOU?!

HI. I AM RIGHT HERE.

I do most of my writing when I'm tired, actually! I find that it's sort of easier, in a way. The whole time I'm writing, I just want to get it over with and go to bed and so it's a lot easier to let go of the idea of quality. Also, sometimes you can come up with interesting things when you're tired! You know how when you turn off the light, you tend to suddenly think of a bunch of things you need to make notes of? Groceries, stanzas, plot lines, whatever. I'm told that part of this might be because your tired brain is closer to the dream state than your awake brain.

Give up on the idea of motivation and just do it. This is sort of forgetting the point of NaNoWriMo; you don't write when you feel like it, you write always. Occasionally motivation falls into your lap! But don't expect it, and don't count on it. The word count should be motivation enough! Let go of the idea that you need to be motivated to write! You do not!

Additionally, six thousand words isn't that terrible! Lots of people can write ~1667 in forty-five minutes (not me, yet, but lots of people). Just set aside a day to write a lot and push your inner editor or whatever as far back as you can possibly manage. It's also workable to redo your per-day math, but really it's easier just to catch up on one day, and then you feel great and caught up again.

You guys! You can do it! :DDDDD

(Really!!)

I do most of my writing when I'm tired, actually! I find that it's sort of easier, in a way. The whole time I'm writing, I just want to get it over with and go to bed and so it's a lot easier to let go of the idea of quality. Also, sometimes you can come up with interesting things when you're tired! You know how when you turn off the light, you tend to suddenly think of a bunch of things you need to make notes of? Groceries, stanzas, plot lines, whatever. I'm told that part of this might be because your tired brain is closer to the dream state than your awake brain.
I personally can't write while actually awake! Mostly I end up writing between 22:00 and 03:00. :3

Back
Top Bottom