• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Nintendo DSi?

Are you getting the DSi when it comes out?

• Total voters
camera + lack of gba support = major fail

i don't know why but for some reason i absolutely cannot stand there being cameras on electronics that honestly don't really need them. i dunno why it annoys me so much, i guess it's a weird holden caulfield-ish pet peeve thing.

aww though there'll be virtual console? ;-; that's cool...

i think i'll stick with my original ds though. i've had it since around 2005, and i never did find the ds lite worth getting. besides, i can just get old gb/c/a games off ebay or something now that i replaced my gbasp's internal battery and it works again.

I seriously doubt I'll get this. I only use my SP to play GB Colour games since its R button is barely functioning, so not being able to play Advance games is a big no-no for me. My Lite from last October works perfectly, and while some of the new features are nice, I'm not willing to pay more for this new model. There just isn't anything that makes it a must buy from my point of view; the camera seems a bit...unsightly, as well.

Who knows, though. Maybe that Virtual Console feature will make up for that lack of a GBA slot.

I wont get it because its too expensive, ugly, and has no GBA slot D:, I'm happy with my DS lite thank you.

Looks like Nintendo is starting to realize how wonderful embracing technology can be. I will have a lot more respect for them if this trend continues.

I will. Or rather, I really want to, seeing as how my DS went missing a while back.

The lack of a GBA slot is... disturbing, though. It was distressing enough when I found out the DS could not play GB/GBC games.

My old non-Lite DS still works fine, so I'll be use it for Pokémon GBA migration; the main reason I'd consider getting this would be for easier trading between Diamond and Platinum once I get that. That and my DS's battery life annoys me sometimes, and the touch screen is getting a bit scratchy (though it still all functions very well and nothing has broken; I take very good care of my electronics). And if that becomes a Game Boy Virtual Console, I am so getting G/S/C. :D No more battery issues or having to play them on an old system where they stick uncomfortably out of the bottom.

To those going "argh another DS, whyyyy, that's so stupid" or any variation of that sentiment, you know it was pretty much inevitable, right? It's Ninty. The GBA had three versions, as well: original, SP, Micro. The Game Boy had at least three but I'm not sure which to count so we'll leave it at that.

I suppose it's a bit different this time around if they have DSi-exclusive stuff, but what can they do? Some people don't like it when they just put the machine in a smaller case and leave it at that, some people don't like it when they add extra features.

They could leave it well alone and not do either, of course, but I repeat: this is Ninty. They aren't going to. :D

cave in. /do it/
The voices in my head have enough in their favour without you helping out. D:

In fact, I have a cunning plan which - in the best case scenario please please please make it so - may result in my being able to get my hands on a DSi on the Japanese launch day. :DDD

[/fangirl]

I dunno. My Ye Olde DS has served me very well, and, for the same reason I didn't get a lite, I just don't have the money to pay £60ish to get a shinier model that does essentially the same thing.

I bought an SP while I had a GBA, granted, but the back light was something I was willing to pay for. I don't really need a camera, so I think I'll give this a miss, at least for a while.

Noooo way.

I'll wait for a friend to get it and then I'll see how thin it is and still not get it due to the lack of a GBA slot.

Well- My DS lite still works fine exept for the top screen flips 5 degrees farther back than it should scince I dropped it on the ground. But my touch screen IS a little dirty... BUT! If it can't play my Pokemon Ruby, LeafGreen, or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red...

I'll have to think about it.

IT PRINTS MONEY

I'll probably get it sometime after the UK launch (ohi 2012 olympics I'm gonna take pics of you with my new DSi) and y'know do the usual with it. I already have the original DS, so I'll probably only use it for the gimmicky things you need two people to do.

However, there are a few things I noticed that could be fixed:
1) The lack of a GBA slot. Yes, this is the first thing anyone brings up with the DSi. However. It can be easily remedied. Nintendo can release some sort of apparatus that will probably look like the result of trying to tape a PSP to an Xbox 360 that plugs into the SD slot and lets you play GBA games. In fact, they could milk the cow a little more and make it print money able to play GB and GBC games, thus making it superior to the DS and the DS Lite in every possible way.
2) The interior camera. Jesus Christ, the quality on that is worse than my left armpit hair. 0.3 megapixels? The first camera phones could do better. Yes, I know the lens has to be small to fit on the hinge. But surely Nintendo could squeeze a couple more tenths of megapixels in, just to make it easier to take pictures that don't look horrendous.
3) The battery life. The solution is simple: don't focus on making the damn thing smaller and include a better battery. We don't want a DS that's microscopic; (although there's probably a market for that; probably populated with fleas and ticks) we want something that works and can be played for a length of time and is generally easy to carry around. Plus due to the consumers nowadays it has to look good. Everything has to look good.

Also, there's something I've noticed. Usually, when a third version of a Nintendo handheld series pops its head round the doorframe, either the next series is coming or it's already there. The Game Boy did this (Game Boy Light came out in Japan 97 (it had a backlight and was japan-exclusive, further proof Nintendo is full of money-grubbing dicks BUT WE STILL LOVE YOU NINTY GIVE US MORE ;-;), Game Boy Colour in 98), the Game Boy Advance did this and I bet you it's gonna happen with the DS.

I'm still gonna buy it.

The reason I'd get it is the DSWare/Shop Channel/Whatever, and maybe media player.

The reason I won't is like, everything else. I don't need an expensive low quality camera that doesn't play GBA games :<

Hehe... cameras play GBA games...

Captain Jay, your post made me laugh like a lunatic. x3
I need a new DS anyway; my hateful dog scratched my crimson and black Lite to Hell. >>;

i don't know why but for some reason i absolutely cannot stand there being cameras on electronics that honestly don't really need them.
in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty cool that people will increasingly be able to record anything they see with minimal effort, just by grabbing whatever happens to be in their pockets

it's no replacement for a real camera, of course, but this proliferation of cheap tiny embedded cameras has let us all share moments far more easily than ever before

Providing I got my Ninty DS Lite last Christmas, meaning it's been less than a year, and that it's a special edition for LoZ: [somethingIcan'tremember] is rather irritating.

I'd be further irritated if the Virtual Console played GBC games. I mainly feel this way because I really don't want to pay money for a new DS, when there is nothing fathomed to be wrong with my current. There wasn't even anything wrong with my Original DS that I got in Christmas of 2004. The only reason I got my DS Lite was because my dad couldn't find me a GBA SP to play my GBC games on, so he got me the DS Lite as a surprise.

*sighs loudly*

BTW, I didn't read any place where it says there will be DSi games that can only play on the DSi? I mean, other than those you download onto the DSi, of course.

I get the feeling regardless of whether or not the DSi will have a Virtual Console to download specifically GB and GBC games, somehow someone would get the SD card to manipulate and make the DSi play ROMs.

Last edited:
>.> You beat me to it, Icalasari.

I might get it, but the no gba slot thing might prevent me from getting it as I still actively play FireRed and Sapphire and sold my GBA...and I hated the power button too. Power switches ftw. :P

It's a pity pretty much all of the improvements I'd actually use could be solved by a flash cart.

Will probably skip; my regular DS is good enough.

The DSi is a waste to me. The camera and other crap doesn't mean it has to be a new DS. They could just make something to attach it to the DS so you won't hae to but another one. And no GBA slot? NOOO way! How will I migrate my lovlely Pokemon like that? My black DS Lite is just fine for me. if I do get it, it'll probably be nowhere near anytime soon. Farther than that, actually. It does seem cool, though.

Back
Top Bottom