• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The LGBT Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention this (might be relevant): a good number of teachers in my school are pretty obviously gay and there's even a married couple but I've never heard of any of them ever getting intimidated or having their cars keyed or anything.

1. Melanie
2. New York
3. Bisexual
4. Definitely; everyone's really accepting. If anyone's called gay, no one really means it seriously or in a mean way; they're just being idiots.
5. No, not at all. No one even bats an eye when I tell them.
6. No; I've seen people called 'gay', but neither they nor the people calling them that seemed to be taking it seriously.
7. I guess... because they never really take the time to think about how little it actually matters what someone's sexual orientation is. "Oh, you're different in some way... that means you're weird. Looks like an excuse to pick on someone." That's what it's like with all the bullying I've seen about the matter, anyway; I don't live in an area with a lot of that stuff though.
8. Nope.
9. I... really don't know. I think you have to stand up to it, and I think you have to get across the message that people are the same no matter what their sexual orientation is, and honestly it doesn't really make a difference to anything at all anyway?
10. Mm. Not much of that going on that I see. Maybe I'm just blind.

Hope that helped?

HEY HEY SURVAY

Please answer with complete sentences and explanations, and note that I may use you in an essay.

Or, if you're someone I like, I'll just use you and then dump you in the alley after, but only after stealing your underwear.

1. Name I can cite. can be just a first name. but.
2. State/city/country/area on planet earth choose one.
3. LGBTQA 'status' -- that is to say, which letter are you. (a being ally.)
4. Do you feel your school is LGBT safe? Why/Why not?
5. Do you get taunted/bullied/etc at school for being LGBTQA? How so? i.e., physically, verbally... examples very much welcomed. I need stuff.
6. Do you ever see anyone else get taunted for being queer?
7. Why do you think people bully LGBT kids?
8. Have you ever considered skipping/dropping out of school due to anti-gay bullying?
9. How do you think anti-LGBT bullying can be stopped?
10. and leave any notes you have about anti-gay bullying in school here

1. You know my first and last name already. Feel free to use it.
2. Minnesota, USA
3. I consider myself B, but lean heavily towards G.
4. I like to think it is, especially when I hear horror stories about what happens to people in other schools. We have a Gay-Straight Alliance and the amount of bullying is minimal, although it still (unfortunately) exists and is quite serious for some members.
5. I am called "faggot" constantly, to the point where I've learned to mentally block the word any time I hear it. That's about it, though.
6. I know lots of people that do. Two of my friends identify as lesbians, and every time I talk to them in the hall people call them "dyke." One gay student that sits at the same lunch table as myself has food thrown at him occasionally. Once, he was forced to go home and change because his clothes were full of mashed potatoes. Not a pretty sight at all.
7. Because everyone else does, I guess. I wish I knew the real answer to this question.
8. No; it's never gotten quite that bad. I do know some people who skip classes because they are afraid of harassment, though. One of my female friends has English for her third period but always comes to my History class instead. She says the amount of harassment she receives is far beyond her tolerance level. She also claims the school administration does nothing about it, which I believe entirely.
9. Anti-bullying laws definitely need to include sexual orientation alongside the already established age, race, gender, etc. Teachers also need to be trained to detect LGBT harassment and take action against it. You can't just pass laws and tell teachers to take action against harassment if they don't know how to.
10. Sometimes the insults can get quite annoying, but I've learned to just embrace my sexual orientation and not let trivial remarks get to me. It's not like I have any other choice, is there?

Since you mention high school, I'll do this for my old school, rather than uni. I could do another one for people at uni, too, if you'd like, but if this is just a high-school thing, then yeah.

1. Danni
2. SW England
3. L
4. No, not really. Nobody was actually out, so it's hard to say, but those suspected of being gay were given a hard time, so I can very easily imagine that anyone (particularly G/B males) who did come out would be physically harassed for it.
5. I wasn't technically out, but got called a lesbian (as a derogatry term) quite a few times because I didn't date anyone and was close to my female friends.
6. Like I said, nobody was out (I'm serious, in a school of 1000+), so it's hard to say. "Gay" as an insult was thrown around quite a bit, and only a handful of the teachers would call someone out on it if they did so.
7. My school was a religious one (joint Catholic and C of E), but I honestly don't think that religious intolerance had much, if anything, to do with why kids acted in a homophobic way. From my experience, I think it's because people don't know any gay people, so they see any and all LGBT people as "different" and are scared of them. The South-West of the UK is a cultural void, where pretty much everybody is white and straight. Most of the adults I've met are pretty LBGT-friendly, but most kids have never even seen a gay person (outside of the handful of stereotypical/badly written ones on TV), so they react weirdly when they do.
8. No; I got bullied for a few things (in the lower school, at least), but didn't let it bother me too much.
9. Lots of education. Again, I went to a church school, but I don't think it's too different in the state, grammar and private schools; homosexuality, bisexuality and transexuality just aren't talked about. If children are told that, yes, gay people exist and, yes, they're people too, I really think they'll be less inclined to become homophobic themselves. I think that more positive representations of gay people in the media, particularly in children's media (Disney having a same-sex romantic couple would be the best thing ever, but I'd settle for having books like And Tango Makes Three or Annie On My Mind availiable in school libraries - even if some parents protested) would go a very long way in changing attitudes.
10. ~

Well, that was fun :)

Also! Did anyone else read how Carol-Ann Duffy's the first female and first gay (and first female-gay!) poet laureate? Yeah, yeah, "pick the best person for the job, not the gay/female/racial minority just to fill a quota/look 'cool'", but given that she was nominated for it last time, but didn't get it because Tony Blair had concerns regarding her "personal life" (ie. lesbianism), the fact she can be it now, a few years later (presumeably meaning lesbianism's less of a big deal), is super-cool.

I think I answered in #tcod already but.

1. Name I can cite. can be just a first name. but. Name? Er. I don't even know okay. Make something up or use my actual first name or something D: I think you know it?
2. State/city/country/area on planet earth choose one. Washington, DC? Generic DC/Baltimore suburb in Maryland? Somewhere in the DC Metro area, anyway.
3. LGBTQA 'status' -- that is to say, which letter are you. (a being ally.) Yeah I answered this. Or Zhorken answered it for me. One of the two. 95% UNINTERESTED
4. Do you feel your school is LGBT safe? Why/Why not? I don't know of anyone who'd actually do anything, but there're a few people that would complain. Mainly, though, there's an aura of "we should care ... why?" to pretty much everything. It's pretty safe, I guess, yeah?
5. Do you get taunted/bullied/etc at school for being LGBTQA? How so? i.e., physically, verbally... examples very much welcomed. I need stuff. I am in a closet of some form but it's invisible. Also sparkling. So yeah. I think someone's taunted me for a complete lack of desire for a relationship before but mostly it's "... whatever dude."
6. Do you ever see anyone else get taunted for being queer? A few times, but the guy taunting people is a jerk anyway. I met him when he threw his carton of rotten milk at me because I was making comments about the mother of one of my friends and apparently he thought I was talking to him or something. I mean dude what.
7. Why do you think people bully LGBT kids? It's "cool", they're different, they're stuck at the mental age of an eight-year-old boy calling everything "gay"....
8. Have you ever considered skipping/dropping out of school due to anti-gay bullying? Nah. No point.
9. How do you think anti-LGBT bullying can be stopped? Punch people in the face? Ignore them? Shun people who do it and get other people to do the same?
10. and leave any notes you have about anti-gay bullying in school here Why would someone bother? I mean, really. It's not like it has anything to do with them.

1. Oliver
2. West Virginia
3. G, T, and a bit of Q too
4. Eeeeh. We're not exactly in the most liberal state. There are a couple of openly gay people, including a close friend of mine, and I don't hear much about them getting bullied; but there does appear to be a lot of "hurhurhur lol that's gay dude" particularly among freshmen.
5. I'm not really out-out, so I'm not sure if I can answer this very well. There's a few friends who don't really take me seriously, and that's about it.
6. There's a male cheerleader at my school who's gay; people made jokes after the pep rally, but I don't think anyone really cares any more.
7. For the same reasons anyone makes fun of anyone, which usually end up being to impress their friends. Sometimes it's a bit of insecurity about their own sexuality too. :V
8. No, not really, because I haven't really encountered it.
9. Society as a whole just needs to move past it. In a few decades making fun of gay people will probably be as unacceptable as making fun of someone for being black.

Eh, why not.

1. Ari
2. Australia
3. Lesbian
4. Definitely not. I receive a lot of strange looks simply for having short hair, and I've already heard people there talking about homosexuals in a degrading way. (BTW, I've only been at that school for one flipping day.)
5. No one knows yet.
6. I saw someone being taunted for being straight and knowing someone who's gay.
7. IMO, they hate anyone who's different than what they see to be 'normal'.
8. I'm already considering it and I just started today, and I haven't even been directly taunted yet.
9. I have no idea. Aside from tossing everyone who says/does anything homophobic into detention. Which would probably end up with most of the school being in detention.
10. Whatever happened to acceptance and diversity? Most people have gotten past racism, so why the hell can't they get past homophobia too?

As a side note, I came out to my aunt today. Actually, she hacked my Facebook and found out, but anyway.

JORGE GONZALEZ ESPINOZA! no you can call me Ewan
Wales
Fag
My school wasn't the best but it was fine and college is like ... well there are fags everywhere
5. Do you get taunted/bullied/etc at school for being LGBTQA? How so? i.e., physically, verbally... examples very much welcomed. I need stuff.
No but then again I'm not out.
Not really. There's one guy who is gay and nobody likes him but that's not because he's gay, it's because he's weird.
Ignorance, religious influences
8. Have you ever considered skipping/dropping out of school due to anti-gay bullying?
No, never.
Education. Lots of it! Swing society toward thinking it's bad!
um rainbows are gay

am I late for the survey :(

1. Becca
2. England
3. B
4. As far as I am aware, yes. Loads of people in my year group are bi and there's one gay guy and nobody gives us any trouble for it
5. I used to when I was younger. In the PE changing rooms girls would just come and touch me and run off giggling because yeah that's hilarious. Also one girl once said "I bet your mum knew you were going to be bisexual and then dumped you at birth" (I live with my dad)
6. Not around here, no
7. Because it's gross ew ew ewwwwwww and UNNATURAL EWWWW (ie stupid reasons they can't justify)
8. Used to. I couldn't drop out of school back then though but I did skip a few times...
9. Teaching kids from an early age that there is /nothing wrong with it/?
10. Even though I came out accidentally, I regretted it so much because I got tons of crap off people for three years...

Umm, I don't care. Use something generic like Bob or George. (real name is cam though)
South Carolina. (very red state)
Gay.
No. The people (particularly freshman, less sophomores and juniors and relatively few seniors) who bully LGBTs don't really get much of a chance, and though they avoid LGBTs for being LGBTs, they can sure as hell throw around a "that faggot" or "that's fucking disgusting."
I've had various encounters with people who've been like "that person is such a faggot" as an insult (though said person is not gay) and I've had people for a whole lunch period sit behind me and yell faggot at the top of their lungs.
In seventh grade (although it took place in a different school there were the same people – these schools are freaking small and there is no choice of where to go) this person used gay as an insult to one of my bisexual friends and said friend said something along the lines of "I know I'm gay; I don't need you to tell me." The homophobe proceeded to show extreme disgust and said "that's fucking disgusting." There was a lesbian couple at my school who I'm friends with, and they were constantly taunted and tormented by various people when they do no more than hold hands or flirt.
Religious intolerance (this is the south we're talking about), the fact the bullies are in high school and must be "cool" by insulting gays, et cetera.
No. The people avoid me enough so that nothing horrible happens.
Sexual orientation needs to be added to the discrimination laws. Teachers need to not be so condoning of slurs like "homo" and "fag(got)." They also need to stop being discriminant themselves.
Well in Spanish when the teacher was explaining that adjectives are changed depending on the gender and number of what is being described, she noted that you have to be careful to use the correct form on oneself. ("else you'll be doing gay, and we don't want that," she said.) She's a cool teacher, and she probably didn't even know what that meant, but still. Also my algebra teacher has been known to crack some subtle gay jokes from time to time. Overall really if most people were aware of the things they said a lot would be different. Like how most people say retarded (I did too, until I took a moment to think about it) when that really is also a slur.

Oh gods why didn't I see this club before what the hell.
I would like to join please~ :< T-CoD has been one of the only places I've been adequately comfortable in saying anything. I know I'm BUNCHES late but I'll do that survey too call it my HAY IMMA NUB post~

1. Sable
2. Hippyville, New York [Very Liberal, maybe even the most Liberal state - But I'll note that as a whole being a part of the US makes me uncomfortable and I'm moving away as soon as I'm able]
3. T, and B

4. I have to answer most school questions thinking hypothetically, as I've been out of schooling for a long while now, mostly due to the issues I've been having.
My Middle and would-be High-Schools; Absolutely not. But what can be expected, it's a bunch of teens who use Fuck as a comma and Fag / Faggot / Homo as the chief insult. It's pretty typical, and they weren't near mature enough to process someone of difference viewpoints. However, I've always been very introverted and never came into any conflict over it.
My University, although at first I was scared in the same way, I later changed my mind about given there's a very open LGBTQ group there that I was unaware of. (I wish I was, as I may have not freaked out and flunked most of my classes) As far as I knew, the kids were conservative and wouldn't accept me - a teacher I told even said it's best to keep it under wraps. And there's ignorant idiots too, who would do crap like scribble on or tear down the LGBT group posters and flyers - but as a whole I think it's very safe. Even if there were a tiff, someone would be around on your side.

5. I was never open about my actual issues, but I've always been teased. Called a fag, homo, see above a bunch. I was obviously NOT manly, and I would toe the line of masculine / feminine dress. I'm fairly sure I was assumed as gay, though. I was once physically harassed on the bus - but it was a mixture of things such as being in a lower grade, in a crappy class, along with being "A pussy".
In University however, never. And at this point I was sure of my identity and dressing in very feminine manners. (Still within the androgynous line, but getting there. Girl's shirts, shoes, hats.. Most I got was "Nice shoes" as they're a bright purple~ )

6. I've seen all sorts of name calling, bullying, and the like - but I've never even gotten close to any of it to see what it actually was. I don't doubt in the lower grades, that some of it would have probably been due to someone's alignment.

7. Because they're thick, ignorant morons. Whether brainwashed by their thick, ignorant moron parents or just finding themselves as such and needing removal from the gene pool ASAP.
In all seriousness, it's a combination of sheer intolerance - mostly from religion.

8. I'm currently not in a school setting and haven't been in a long while, my University run I failed 3/4 classes due to worrying so much. However, I was never bullied directly, it was my own fears getting the better of me.

9. People need to step up. Lawmakers need to make discrimination against us as unlawful as racism, People of power (Whether it be parents, teachers, or what have you) Need to not accept it either. And we need a larger public voice that it's NOT wrong - one that overrides the ones who says it is.

10. I guess I have nothing more to add about anti-gay bullying.. But for the love of crap, give us gender-neutral washrooms! If you have to go, you have to go. But when they're split you're hard pressed to choose one being Trans. I often go into the men's room just because I can't handle confrontation at the moment, and I'm not fond of being yelled at or assumed a peeping tom or paedophile when I use the woman's room and someone realises..

o.o I never knew this was here! I'm so joining ^_^

1. Name I can cite. can be just a first name.

Jaden

Australia

B, I'm bisexual

Yes, there are quite a lot of us actually

I never used to while I was at school. Even after graduating I have no troubles

Only on the internet, but never in real life situations, although my friend's mum's friend's brother got beaten pretty badly over it and he's like 40 something I think O.o

Same reason they bully other kids, to give the bully a sense of being bigger than someone and to raise their low self-esteem. The victim being LGBT just defines a target for them

Not at all, since it never happened to me. If I was bullied however, I'd just get the bastards in trouble >=P

Basically I never got bullied because I only let it out to my friends. If someone bullies you on the internet, they're not going to do anything to you so just ignore it. If it happens in real life, talk to your parents if they support your sexual standings about how you can resolve it. If your parents don't support you in that regard (and I know a lot of them don't), seek help from one of your closest friends or another family member.

Be nice to nerds, they may end up being your boss
Be nice to gays, they may end up dating your friend :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom