• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The QUILTBAG Club (formerly the LGBT club)

This and this are good examples of ones done right. Obviously, the results aren't prefect and it's unlikely it'll pass as a biological penis, but the glans sculpting has really improved, so yeah, hopefully it'll keep getting better. The results my surgeon showed me looked very promising as well.
wow those ones look great

haha most other images of lower surgery I've seen have scared the shit out of me (and the thing about using skin from the arm/leg oh god) so I'm just not really considering it for the time being.
I guess I'd rather have the bits I have now and know how to make the most of them than potentially "mess them up" with a surgery... and by mess up I mean lose sensitivity and stuff. couldn't think of a better phrase :|

also
what exactly do they do with the vagina in FTM lower surgeries???

wow those ones look great

haha most other images of lower surgery I've seen have scared the shit out of me (and the thing about using skin from the arm/leg oh god) so I'm just not really considering it for the time being.
I guess I'd rather have the bits I have now and know how to make the most of them than potentially "mess them up" with a surgery... and by mess up I mean lose sensitivity and stuff. couldn't think of a better phrase :|

also
what exactly do they do with the vagina in FTM lower surgeries???
I can u

Also, this gives lots of good info on the intricate details of FTM surgery. If I tried to explain anything intricate, I'd just fuck it up and word it awkwardly so yeah. (seriously never come to me for advice i just get too wound up about personal stuff like this ha)

Uh but in other maybe good maybe bad news, I went to the cardiff Mardis Gras today. T was fun and I loved it, but I kind of accidentally came out. I was stoned, drunk and just pumping with the excitement of being at a festival organised specifically for QUILTBAG community, and when the girl on the stage started screaming shit about howwe shouldn`t have to hide, I kinda came out to all my mates.
It was baking ugggghhhh
How did they react?

Last edited:
heeeello! :D
I am a gay male, and I'm from sppf. I decided to kinda sorta leave there because the people there are dumb as hell! XD
although I still post in the lgbt club and enter the WSC. so yeah, can I join? ^_^

My mother goes to all sorts of things. It's annoying. Some of my friends were there, too, I think! I now several gays, now that I think about it. Two lesbians and a gay from this area at least.

Vlad: Thanks! It honestly means a lot. :)

Uh but in other maybe good maybe bad news, I went to the cardiff Mardis Gras today. T was fun and I loved it, but I kind of accidentally came out. I was stoned, drunk and just pumping with the excitement of being at a festival organised specifically for QUILTBAG community, and when the girl on the stage started screaming shit about howwe shouldn`t have to hide, I kinda came out to all my mates.
It was baking ugggghhhh
Lucky you, I was still in quarantine then.

I would've frocked up and everything.

*pops out of lurking*

@Elliekat: there's an article here about asexuality you could reference. Read the "sex" part. Not saying it's a hundred percent accurate or whatever, but it seems to mention a wide variety of people's experiences with attraction and lack thereof - something to consider, hopefully?

LIFE MAKES SO MUCH MORE SENSE NOW
Especially the whole thing about sexual attraction. Wow. I feel enlightened.

idk I've known that I'm not straight ever since I learned about the existence of non-straight people from TCoD (I think that was during... 6th grade? Yeah, probably). But I was never quite sure what exactly I am. I went through this whole conflicting thought process switching between "I'm (probably) gaayyyy" and "I'm (probably) biiii" and "I'm (probably) straight", until high school came around and it became a switch betwee "I'm (probably) pan" and "I'm (probably) ace". Around last year, I just give up and decided that I don't know what the hell I am and I don't really care.

And now

it all makes sense now

*sparkles*

Although I have the nagging feeling that my new group of friends may contain (a) homophobe(s) so :( (My awesome liberal and super nerdy group of probably mostly asexual with at least one out bi friends all graduated :( )

Happy for your increased self-discovery, both! Arylett, there are loads of opportunities out there. You just have to grab them. Sometimes you'll be lucky, sometimes you won't, but go out there and do things you enjoy or join clubs - hopefully you'll meet some great people!

I get the boyfriend thing too, but it's different for me as I am attracted to guys; my parents are pretty good about the whole bi thing, and they do say "met any nice boys or girls recently?", but sometimes when I mention a guy friend, they'll ask if I like him, but barely ever do that when I mention a girl. I guess they'll learn.

Hmm, I just found out from my sister this evening that there's a bi guy at school.

He's out, and has a boyfriend.

I've never actually talked to him, but I think he'd be interesting. He has blue hair.

I think that's a great option for people who don't identify either way and such, but I hope this doesn't mean that Australian trans people will have to choose this particular gender marking. There isn't anything fundamentally wrong with it but it would sort of suck to be marked as "X" when you're definitely "M" or "F" and you're being treated as not a "real" man or woman.
Either way it's a pretty cool development, gj Australia! Proud of my, er, third nationality.

In selfish news my packer came in today :3c it's pretty ridiculous-looking but it feels kind of awesome. I'm just praying my mother doesn't find it before I go to university or I'll honestly just die from having too much blood rushing to my head.
I've been doing quite a bit of clothes-shopping and my mother has been surprisingly cool with buying male clothes for me (she's the one who says RIGHT MALE SECTION NOW JUST CHOOSE), but I'm having a world of trouble with suits :/ the jacket always look sort of weird because of my stupid monster hips and I'm not sure what to do except the obvious weightloss (working on it) and even then I'm not really sure because my actual hipbone is kind of massive.

Also for transpeople in general: how did you go about choosing your new name? I've got a very female name and I'm trying to find something, but the thing with my female name is that it works in both Portuguese and Dutch and I've yet to find anything like that in male names. :/
My family name is Dutch so I'm considering a Dutch name and just keeping my Portuguese middle names, but the only ones I like are pretty silly. Willem, Henk, Jan, that sort. I have friends who are just telling me to actually have people call me Vlad in real life and while I love the name Vladimir I'd feel pretty ridiculous with an inexplicable Russian name.
I'm thinking of António if I decide to go with a Portuguese name, after my grandad, but I'd rather put that in my middle names or something, I don't know. I'd like to ask my parents for input but they're nowhere near ready.

The article is written pretty badly ("whose partner was born female", really?) but this is pretty good headway! I wonder if it's something only restricted to transpeople though, rather than anyone who's non-cis? I mean it says "those of ambiguous sex" but what about ambiguous gender?

It's giving me the feeling it's just to prevent inconvenience rather than to let people be more comfortable with what's on their passport.

@Vlad: Uhmmm I actually just searched baby names. My first name, I chose one that is Jewish so that Israelis can, you know, pronounce it. And my middle name I chose just something I like.

I think it comes down to finding something that just clicks as oh, that's me, when you see it. Also remember you can actually have as many names as you want. :D (Also! Both my names are unisex, it's just a little... well I like it better that way? Something maybe you could think about?? Then you don't have to think about male name/female name, it's just a name.)

The article is written pretty badly ("whose partner was born female", really?) but this is pretty good headway! I wonder if it's something only restricted to transpeople though, rather than anyone who's non-cis? I mean it says "those of ambiguous sex" but what about ambiguous gender?

It's giving me the feeling it's just to prevent inconvenience rather than to let people be more comfortable with what's on their passport.

I think there needs to be a clearer statement of whether official documents are supposed to state sex, gender, or both - that article strikes me as meaning gender when it says sex. I remember people complaining about the UK census, which listed only "male" and "female" under the question labelled "sex". While this is still problematic, it's a lot better than if the question said "gender", which is what I think most of the critics were assuming. There are valid reasons for collecting statistics about both sex and gender, so I think what really needs to happen is a conscious split. In forms which are supposed to be comprehensive (like the census) there should be a sex and a gender field. Passports should state both (or neither - I'm not really sure why that's there to begin with), and so on.

As for what options they should offer, the problem here (like with alternate pronouns) is that there are lots of non-binary gender identities. I think the easiest solution is to have male, female, and a write-in "other" field.

Also for transpeople in general: how did you go about choosing your new name? I've got a very female name and I'm trying to find something, but the thing with my female name is that it works in both Portuguese and Dutch and I've yet to find anything like that in male names. :/
as stupid as it sounds, i stole my name from a fictional character haha... idk he means a goddamn lot to me (and i am quite a lot like him in many ways) and at the time of realising i was trans, i knew his name would be the only one for me.

the only catch is is that it's not a very common name in the UK (much more common in the USA) but at least it's a name from the English language :B

as for middle names... I wanted my initials to be BHM (after someone else who means a goddamn lot to me) so I went looking through a bunch of baby name sites for names beginning with H.

I think there needs to be a clearer statement of whether official documents are supposed to state sex, gender, or both - that article strikes me as meaning gender when it says sex.

But isn't the article going on about hold-ups due to not looking like their picture? I'd think if it were about gender the problem would be people not feeling comfortable, rather than because it's "highly inconvenient".

Yeah, but that's because most people probably mean sex when they think of that. Basically I think everyone is very confused and somehow trying to fit trans identities into a single category that will cover both sex and gender, even though the entire point is that for trans people, those aren't the same. Hence, instead of realising that yes, actually, most trans people are perfectly happy putting down "male" or "female" in a gender field, they try to invent some weird third category.

Hate to be a combo breaker.

Recently came out. But it's sort of... different I guess. I'm an asexual bi romantic... Saying I'm bi usually is more simple.

Sort of not in with all lingo so if that's incorrect tell me so I don't look a fool.

You just told us that you don't want to do the nasty with anyone, but you feel romantic feelings towards both genders.

That's a translation, as for if it's correct, that's something you have to tell us =)

Back
Top Bottom